Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I'm going to kill myself tomorrow.

I'm rewatching the Heisei Gamera trilogy and holy poo poo you guys I forgot how good they are. I love the Godzilla movies of that era but the set design in the Gamera movies makes Godzilla look like he's rampaging through a bunch of cardboard boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I haven't seen those yet. I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a kaiju movie than in the original Showa Gamera movie where the military goes "he's a turtle, let's just flip him on his back" and the events that immediately follow, though, and it's that kind of goofiness that really brings me to the genre as much as any kind of serious drama.

Which makes Shin Godzilla especially good since it's a fantastic marriage of the goofy and the serious.

If you have a Fry's near you they routinely put the blu-ray set with all 3 on sale for like $5. They're really good but they are kind of on the serious side compared to the earlier ones. They are also a lot more violent than the contemporary Godzilla movies.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I had avoided Gamera the Brave because I'd heard bad things about it, but now I want to see it and apparently the blu-ray that I passed up for $10 a thousand times is now out of print and impossible to find :(

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Wizchine posted:

It's my sworn obligation to reaffirm that James Hong is a national-loving-treasure whenever I see his name mentioned.

He's super loving nice and he has old man strength when he shakes your hand.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I wish the gently caress I had bought Gamera the Brave on blu-ray at Fry's for like $4 when I saw it, but I had heard it was bad. Now it's impossible to find.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Dylazodelan posted:

It's a fun little movie more in the spirit of the original series rather than the 90s movies. The main character is a kid and Gamera is a little baby boy.

I think I've whined in this thread before but my biggest regret is not buying the blu-ray of this at Fry's when I saw it for like $15 because now it's out of print and almost impossible to find, and when you do find it it's listed at like $300.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Also make sure you get the one that includes the version of Revenge of Iris that doesn't have super hosed up subtitles, which probably will be the only one you can find at this point luckily.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

If you have a Fry's near you the Gamera trilogy box set is pretty much always $5 or less if you can find it in stock. It's been on clearance there forever and they started with about a million copies of it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

NECA Godzilla stuff showed up at my Target, they had Shin Godzilla and the "glowing" Godzilla from Destroyah. Just in case someone wants to waste money like me.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I bought one SH Monsterarts toy just to see how cool it was and now when I get the itch I just buy NECA. The difference in quality is evident, but I'm not sure it's 3-4 times the price worth.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I have NECA GMK and SH Monsterarts '95 "Birth" and they are both cool, I would say that the Monsterarts one was definitely NOT worth 3x what I paid for the NECA one.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Target has a few decent NECA ones for like $20-$25 if you can find them in stock!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

teagone posted:

My older brother is actually a Gamera fan, and I think he has a blu-ray box set. Next time I see him, I'll ask to borrow to it.

The Heisei Gamera movies are all better than the Heisei Godzilla movies. Not that I don't love the Godzilla ones, but the Gamera ones are amazing. It's striking how much better the city models look.

If you do get ahold of the Mill Creek blu set be careful: they issued two revisions of it because they hosed up the subs in the 3rd movie, and then hosed up the first reissue too. The corrected disc should have a code in the whitespace on the 3rd disc that says 63054-12-A

I wish NECA would get ahold of the Gamera license, I don't have shmonsterarts money but I want a Heisei Gamera real bad.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I really liked this, but my main complaint is that Kyle Chandler can't really seem to hang. I'm not sure if it's the writing or his acting, probably somewhere between, but every single line he says is really scoff-worthy. The Traumatized Always Right Guy who Learns A Lesson is obviously hugely cliche, but I feel like someone else might have carried it off. I also think it's weird that he comes to terms with Vera Farmiga so easily after she, y'know, ushers in the apocalypse

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I think the GMK Godzilla is my favorite Godzilla, I like a Godzilla with a bigass dome on him and I like the wide face.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

You can pre-order then at diabolik dvd in the US, I think it's about $60 per era?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

brocked posted:

That anime also has the worst version of Ghidorah

Was walking through my local Target the other day and they have a bunch of Godzilla toys in their electronics section? I was surprised...

It's weird because Neca lost the Godzilla license so I thought they would have to stop selling those, but Target must be able to liquidate what they already have.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

If you get real lucky you might find those Heisei double features kicking around a walmart bargain bin. I got all of them for $5 a pop.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Heisei Gamera box set shipped today from DiabolikDVD, I'm super pumped. Never gotten to watch Gamera the Brave which I know is not supposed to be great but still

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Got my Gamera Heisei collection, it's good folks!!!!!

I was pretty bummed to have missed the complete collection but now I'm kind of glad I waited and got the Heisei set only for cheaper. I already have copies of the Showa Gamera movies and I'm not sure I'm missing much by not having the most amazing copies possible, even if the set was really cool.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Mam, watching the Arrow Heisei discs, the city models in Gamera make the similar-era Godzilla ones look kind of crummy

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Burkion posted:

Heisei Gamera would keep the traidition of violence alive and well for the record. So would The Brave

Noticed this watching the new Arrow set-- Gamera is constantly getting mauled, it's actually kind of unsettling because the Gamera suits are a lot more expressive than the average Godzilla

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Holy poo poo - just finished the Heisei Gamera trilogy. It's a great set of movies that I'd even recommend to non Kaiju fans. The Arrow Blu-rays are also chockfull of other special features, so I can't wait to check those out.

I'd have to say that Legion is the best, followed by the first one, and that Iris is a bit weaker than the other two, despite its really great opening scenes.

Are the other Gamera films comparable?

On rewatches I always get annoyed with how long Iris spends loving around with the smaller bugs, I didn't come here to pay any attention to what is going on in a train tunnel, I want to see giant monsters fight. The part where the bugs swarm Gamera is cool though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Just got a massive spoiler on my Pixel's news feed thanks to screenrant titling their articles with full on spoilers. Be careful out there friends

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I feel like Godzilla '14 feels different because the human element is boring but is also unobtrusive, whereas the human element in KotM keeps trying to be funny and failing so it's actively distracting.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Rented a private theater for those of us in my covid pod to see this (if you're near a Cinemark, $150 for a private theater up to 20 people which isn't bad at all if you can get even a few other people to split it with you) but not until April 4. Now to studiously stay the gently caress off of twitter until then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I love the Heisei Godzilla movies because they're what I grew up with, but the Heisei Gamera movies style on them effortlessly.