Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Honestly, if Jet Jaguar and King Caesar aren't in the movie it's not really worth my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Is the 90s mothra series any good?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
That Netflix series is one of the most boring things ever. I don't know the history behind it but I assume it was some other story that they shoehorned Godzilla into.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Fsmhunk posted:

The Godzilla anime is cool because it doesn't have a single likeable character. I was actively rooting for Godzilla to kill them.

Didn't they kill Godzilla in the first episode?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Godzilla, like most "Netflix Originals," is a garbage show.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What are the "good" Godzilla movie?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Burkion posted:

Kong's got a lot of growing to do in 30-ish years

Hell no. Be way better if they keep the size difference and Kong has to outsmart Godzilla with his monkey brains.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

horror themed flea market event

Same

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Those aren't movies.

Neither is the anime. It's a bunch of episodes slapped in to three "movies"

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The only thing this movie has going for it are the visuals. 90% of the awesome visual scenes are shown in the first couple trailers so save yourself the ticket price and watch those on Youtube.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

Can someone fill and idiot in on what shipping is? I've literally never heard this term.

I just realized KOTM didn't have a shot that was as good as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkcfB3z0_-0&t=176s

The light piano in darkened silence as a flash of lighting reveals Godzilla's silhouette as he comes through the fog is just god drat brilliant.

All three monsterverse movies have amazing shots. KOTM is just cut like a JJ Abrams movie so you never really get a good look at them.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

I have seen KOTM five times now, and have gradually won the victory over myself. The movie is good, actually.

Don't get corn-cobbed by a bad movie

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
King of the Monsters is the Avengers of Godzilla movies.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Burkion posted:

That's the worst thing anyone has said about King of the Monsters in this entire thread

I mean, some of it looks way better than Avengers but the movie is very Whedon-ish.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If you’re referring to the ‘global warming’ stuff, Godzilla 2 isn’t actually about global warming at all. There’s some inclement weather, but that’s not the same thing. (Even by that standard, the biggest/only scene of a population being affected by bad weather is when Rodan flies over Mexico - and Rodan is ‘natural’, a volcanic eruption or whatever.)

ID42 is, at the very least, a basic Starship Troopers riff with a giant, spherical iPod in the Neil Patrick Harris role.

It might be helpful to go back to Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster - which features numerous references to Gorath and functions as a prequel / thematic counterpart. (Three-Headed Monster is presumably set in 1963, while Gorath is set in the late 1970s.)

The Venusian foretells that Ghidorah will turn the earth into “a dead star”. It’s an odd choice of words unless you recall that Gorath is a dead star - specifically a fragment of an exploded neutron star - that wanders the cosmos absorbing entire worlds with its incredible gravitational pull.

Unlike in this Godzilla 2, Ghidorah’s arrival in 1963 is extremely bizarre. A meteorite lands on Earth, yes, but Ghidorah is not actually inside of it. When the rock cracks open, a red sun appears in the sky, and emits flames that materialize into Ghidorah. So Ghidorah is very much the incarnation/embodiment of the dead star - a vision of the looming apocalypse, triggered by the spectacular crash of the meteorite (whose magnetism is oddly similar to Gorath’s gravitational effects). There’s much affinity with other works: Krypton’s red sun, Kryptonite meteors etc. In Vs. Hedorah, Ken Yano declares that “Godzilla is a superman!”

(We might as well add that Ghidorah‘s lightning attacks are officially called “gravity beams,” though I don’t recall it being mentioned in any of the films. Zod deploys a gravity weapon in Man Of Steel.)

The idea of visions and hallucinations is established early on with the UFO cult, whose members insist that flying saucers will not appear before an unbeliever. Ghidorah appears to those who believe in him, whereas an ‘objective’ observer may see only a meteor.

Of course, neither Three-Headed Monster nor Gorath are actually about the threat posed by random neutron-star fragments. The prophet’s abstract vision of the apocalypse is contextualized by Three-Headed Monster’s Cold War setting, where Princess Salno and her West-leaning nation are evidently under threat by Soviet agents, leading to her to escape to Japan - which has its own share of problems. Miraculously surviving a bombing, Salno emerges from ‘the gap between the two worlds’ as a homeless prophet. And Ghidorah likewise emerges from a gap - the splitting of the meteorite into two halves - apparently popping in from another dimension or something. Both Ghidorah and his counterpart are beyond the Cold War squabble, yet inextricably linked to it by the prospect of global annihilation.

In the logic of Godzilla 2’s narrative, the central macguffin - the “ORCA” device - represents the spirit of the dead child. (I’m very surprised that the ‘human voice pattern’ wasn’t revealed to literally be a recording of the son’s voice). So what is being expressed here?

Already things are muddled. Exposition from Serizawa will refer to ‘strip mining’ as the cause of the son’s death - but only extremely elliptically. A uranium-mining company unearthed the MUTOs who then attacked San Fran, in the 2014 film, but you wouldn’t know it from watching this film. The opening flashback scene, by omitting the MUTOs, effectively says that the son was killed by a rampaging Godzilla and there’s ultimately nothing that contradicts this, (except that Godzilla is ultimately, inexplicably, celebrated by all the characters).

The ORCA device is then used to resurrect Ghidorah, who... doesn’t really do anything except what we’re told is being depicted on LCD screens. “They’re moving like a pack of wolves!!”, or whatever. Like, first, no they aren’t - and then there are only like three monsters in the ‘pack’, and it’s being mapped out on a globe. These are effectively random dots, and it’s acinematic in any case.

Anyways, the point is that this film’s Ghidorah is defined entirely by his not-being-Godzilla, while Godzilla stands for... an ancient, regal, pharaonic status that grants him the right to kill children - effectively making the son into a ‘virgin sacrifice’ like the girls said to be sacrificed by ancient Shinto Gojira-worshippers in the 1954 film. This is why Farmhglia’s ultimately punished for ‘not letting go’ or whatever, only redeeming herself when she hails to the king and smashes the ORCA machine that is the last trace of her son.

What this has to do with global warming is unclear.

Also, yes, the action scenes are butt.

Or whatever

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

denimgorilla posted:

It took me an hour to figure out the female lead wasn't a haggard-looking Elizabeth Olsen..

Wow

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

thatbastardken posted:

for a wolf zoologist or whatever the dad didn't know gently caress all about wolf behavior, the 'alpha/beta/omega' thing is junk science from victorian zoos and has been discredited for like, 100 years. wolf packs are family groups, not a biker gang.

Are the giant flying atomic monsters junk science? Asking for a friend.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cover doesn't look like diarrhea like the regular version

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Anyone got a screenshot of Ghidorahs heads when they first come out of the ice, revealing the big villain? It's one of the most dogshit things I've ever seen

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The Golden Gael posted:

There's the triple Ghidorah bite, Godzilla stupidly aiming for the heads of Ghidorah and completely missing, Rodan swooping in on Mothra, Mothra loving with Ghidorah using string shot which leads into Godzilla appearing in the building reflection, Mothra shanking Rodan...

All of that was done on the most boring way possible. The mothra, Godzilla, building could have been an epic scene but instead it's this super quick blip that quickly moves on to something else with little consequence.

The best scenes in the movie is the intro and it's aping a much better movie.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Remember that when you use words you must use them only in their most strick scientific usage.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I legit can’t help it to a point where it may be a sickness.

Every time I try creating I new monster it comes out as a pointy headed toothy beast.

Freud

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Pyswagoras posted:

My Criterion set is supposed to come tomorrow! :woop:

Is it out already?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

They shipped preorders. I got my tracking email a few minutes ago. Getting mine tomorrow too!

I pre-ordered from Amazon so I guess I gotta wait

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Watching King Kong Vs Godzilla for the first time since I was a child American. Holy poo poo the blackface

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Burkion posted:

There are almost no Kong related movies free of racism

I would have liked if they spent less effort painting people black and more on making Kong not the absolute worst costume ever.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Why didn't they just lure Ghidorah in with a big pile of fish?

Cause they lured him with whale sounds.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Maybe they are retooling the movie to make it more like the two prior successful movies in the series and not like the pile of garbage KOTM was.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I saw the movie twice in the theater. Bought the blu-ray first day it was out. I've bought an ungodly amount of merchandise for my son. KOTM didn't (semi)bomb because of me, it bombed because it wasn't good and it's a niche genre in the first place.

Kong was incredibly entertaining and Godzilla 2014 is a genuine Good Movie™. It didn't have to be a niche genre movie.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Shut up and let me have my dumb monster movies you fuccccks!

This is how we got Justice League.

KOTM is the Justice League of the series

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I, too, am upset about the aircraft carrier thing. I wish we could go back to how it was in the last movie when they just had a flying fortress.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Why do Godzilla fans consider Spacegodzilla to be so bad?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

One on the left full on HR Gigan

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

The anime trilogy had some interesting ideas but was poorly executed in my opinion. It was also probably never really gonna be my thing to begin with, and I doubt I'll ever watch it again. I don't quite get the incandescent hate some people seem to have for it though.

It might be because it was a 1.5 hour movie stretched over 6 hours

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

Fair points. I guess my expectations going in were pretty low, so it was hard to really get all that angry at it. I can certainly name some actual main-line Godzilla movies that I dislike more, in any event.

I had high expectation because you can do so much awesome monster stuff with animation. Instead they opted to make a movie about three slightly different types of humans and shoehorned Godzilla in.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

KOTM is the best movie ever made, and this is because I do really like it, but saying that makes people’s skin crawl and that’s good.

Liking bad movies to own the good movie likers

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'll take a middle of the road Godzilla movie over another Marvel any day.

KOTM was a Marvel movie

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Violator posted:

Rewatched King Kong (2005) and this thing is a master class for compositions on how to show a giant creature.

Yes. Also Godzilla 2014 where they really feel like gods on Earth

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MrMojok posted:

You may not like the film and you may not agree with his ideas, but you absolutely cannot deny that he's a true G-fan, with a ton of love for the franchise.

Probably why he was a bad choice to make a Godzilla film.

Godzilla fans don't like Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Shiftypenguin posted:

My son is six and Son of Godzilla is his favorite (followed by the original two Mechagodzilla films). He loved Son in Spacegodzilla, but wondered why he looked different. I told him because he was slightly older.

Why did he look different?