Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Got my ticket for 10/12 at The Alamo Draft House in Kansas City. I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So, there was an excellent Godzilla primer thread here a few years back. I've scoured the archives and I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone locate it?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

drat, thanks.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah, the problem with G14 isn't Godzilla's limited screen time - that's actually in keeping with many of the originals - the problem is how horribly uninteresting every single actor who isn't named Bryan Cranston is.

For the record I enjoyed the movie, I just think they made a horrible mistake in who they chose to focus the story on.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

HorribleAvatar posted:

poo poo I wish I hadn't read because I haven't seen the film yet.

If you've been lurking so long, you should probably know about spoiler tags.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I went into this movie with high expectations and it still blew me away. I'd say my one and only complaint - and it's a tiny one - is the pacing during the last half. The space between the atomic breath attack and the final attack dragged ever so slightly. Other than that, I loved everything about this.

It's almost an anti-Godzilla movie in the way the reality of a giant destructive monster is handled so realistically. In every other Godzilla film I've seen, there's very little focus on shock, disbelief, and the minutia of how to handle the situation. "Oh a giant monster? Sigh. I guess we better shoot at it." But here this stuff is the bulk of the movie, and I loved it.

Godzilla's design is wonderful. He looks more terrifying than he's ever been. I wasn't expecting his metamorphosis, but it was a great addition. The first shot of his larva-like stage where he was barreling through the streets was stunning. It was a strange combination of unsettling and goofy, with the combined feeling being the quintessential Godzilla-ness that I love about these movies.

I was enjoying the movie a ton, and then the atomic breath scene happened and I instantly started loving the movie. That scene was, hands down, the best moment I've seen in a Godzilla movie. I had chills. Absolutely phenomenal.

They've totally nailed how to make a Godzilla movie that's pretty terrifying while still retaining the charm of the goofier films. This was pretty much a perfect Godzilla movie. I hope this is the start of a new Toho series that follows in this style.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Out of curiosity, has anyone been to a US showing of this that wasn't sold out?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is there any significance to the fact that nothing really got accomplished until a bunch of the government officials died and the the government was whittled down to a relatively small group?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gozinbulx posted:

I feel like I need to this again before it goes away. I watched it opening day and definitely liked it but was not nearly as positive about it as others here. One thing I've noticed through everyone's comments: everyone here watches anime and has apparently seen Evangelion. I do not so I feel like some of the things that are maybe anime tropes/staples felt strange and out of place for me. A couple off the top of my heead: crazy googly eyes: I SWEAR I've seen something like that in a brief clip or screenshot or something from an anime. Something about it definitely screaming anime to me. I didn't mind it though, I thought it was cool and interesting. The other was the music: definitely some really weird music choices that felt very much like something I've seen in modern Japanese movies and I'm guessing anime, having music that is definitely doesn't fit traditionally with whats on screen, like the weird almost jazzy emotive music while goji breathes hellfire on tokyo, and the totally silly marching music during the final godzilla-defeating counter measures. Both felt very out of place and kinda took me out of it.

Like I said, I think I'm gonna have to see this again, not least of which because I actually did like it alot, but I feel like I'm missing something that you guys all liked to so much about it. I don't think I can drag my wife to this again so I'll probably go to the movies alone for the first time ever.

I don't watch anime and have never seen Evangelion, and I've been singing this movie's praises since I saw it.

And don't feel weird about seeing a movie alone. The expected social nature of theater-going has always baffled me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hahaha. That's awesome.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

david_a posted:

Silliest thing IMO was the back lasers. Shooting out a laser beam - fine, tail shoots lasers too - OK I guess, BACK LASER GRID OF DOOM - really?

I'm seeing this complaint a lot. I don't get how back lasers are somehow sillier than atomic breath, or, you know, nuclear-powered giant monsters. We reached silly a long, long time ago.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

gently caress yeah. Also Shin Rodan.

Shin Ghidorah, the Three Headed Shin Monster

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I went with a group of friends who were making various quips and jokes throughout it.

Get new friends.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Does anyone know of any plans/rumors for blu-ray releases for all the Godzilla films that haven't had one yet? My understanding is that the following still need to be released on blu-ray:

Godzilla Raids Again
King Kong vs Godzilla (the current Universal BD is the American version)
Mothra vs Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Godzilla vs Monster Zero
Son of Godzilla
All Monsters Attack
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dylazodelan posted:

We're most likely never getting a domestically released BluRay copy of the original Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla in the U.S. All those films are available on Japanese BluRay by the way, though of course you gotta import them and have a Region 2 player.

Do the Japanese discs have English subtitles? I'm guessing they don't.

EDIT: Nope, they don't. :(

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 23, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I just watched Godzilla 1984, and I liked it a lot. I see a lot of hate for the movie, and I'm wondering if most people are actually referring to Godzilla 1985, the American version?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is the individual DVD release of Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster out of print? It's included in this set, but the individual disc is nearly $40. All the others included in that set are closer to $7 individually.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Bimmi posted:

That was a pretty fun trailer that took me from near-zero interest to more or less on board with it. Still think a kaiju-sized ape is kind of silly but what the gently caress, I'll roll with it.

More silly than a kaiju-sized kaiju?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I watched Shin before Return and I was surprised at how similar the two movies are.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Choco1980 posted:

My favorite bit about Raids Again is how apparently the Cinematographer let his assistant run the camera for the big fight scene, and in his excitement, he cranked the camera too fast, which is why the battle is so much faster paced than usual Kaiju action.

Except... doesn't overcranking slow the motion when played back at 24fps?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here are some Godzilla 2-pack UV codes for whoever wants them.

Godzilla vs Destroyah/Godzilla vs Megaguius: m3gw5m7srn2j4xu2

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah/Godzilla and Mothra Battle for Earth: gamtp04z0h99aq53

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II/Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla: mchqdr2mmn3abbz5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Japanese steel book Shin Godzilla Blu-ray. I may buy this even sans English subs.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Someone on the blu-ray.com forums said this:

quote:

Shin Godzilla's coming to Blu-ray in August from Funimation.

This was announced in a newsletter from Famous Monsters of Filmland, who are hosting a special screening of the film in Dallas later this month. I imagine Funimation will make the full announcement around that event.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Packaging for the US release:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I finally broke down and decided I need to own every Godzilla movie. I bought all of the Blu-ray releases I don't own yet (only about 6 of them), plus the DVD box set from Classic Media. That left only two that I needed: Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. Both of these are out of print and fetching stupid prices on ebay. But a little searching brought me to these places (I hope they're legit because I ordered them both): Son of Godzilla for $10, and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla for $30. Anyone ever bought anything from these sites?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I made a Letterboxd Godzilla list to help myself and others keep them straight: https://letterboxd.com/caiman/list/all-the-godzillas-so-many-godzillas/detail/

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FYI for the Blu-ray owners: the inner cover is reversible. I flipped mine and it looks rad.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah that looks pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I finally watched Godzilla vs Megalon. Not even CLOSE to the worst Godzilla film. So freaking entertaining.