Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I loved the hell out of that. I realized once I started the movie that I didn't even know what the premise was going in, other than "monster fight monster", because the trailer hadn't revealed anything about it. Because they didn't need to. Then they were like, "Hollow Earth, energy source, Kong has genetic memory to get us there," and I was like, "I mean, yeah, sure, why shouldn't that be what the movie is about, I guess?" The movie was way weirder than I was expecting, but in a good way. I like KotM more than some people around here, but I think that movie occasionally takes itself too seriously, considering it's a dumb "monster fight monster" movie. This movie does not have that problem. It is very silly, and very fun. And does not waste time. The opening feels almost rushed, but in a way I appreciated, because it felt like the movie was telling you, "We know, you want to get to the good parts, just let us get through the setup, we'll be quick." Less than 2 hours, it knows what kind of movie it is.

So did MechaGodzilla turn evil because it was possessed by the soul (or whatever) of the monster from KotM? Or was that just a standard AI that went bad? Because for most of the movie, I was kind of agreeing with the head of Apex. Like, yeah, we probably should have our own defense against Kaiju and not be reliant on Godzilla. In the last 2 movies, he would occasionally take a while to show up, while thousands of people died. Having our own line of defense is probably a good idea. Why is he the bad guy, again? And then his plan went to poo poo, so I guess that's why.

I did find it funny that they somehow managed to use even less of Kyle Chandler than the last movie. He was completely useless in this movie. But it's not like I wanted more of him.

I miss Charles Dance. Only real complaint. Loved it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Apex's plan was to kill Godzilla, not supplement him

Wasn't it both, though? Kill him in order to become the one true defender of humanity?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Godzilla shooting a hole through the planet to scream at Kong was awesome

Oh absolutely.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I also loved the big bad guy not getting to finish his speech. I'm a sucker for big evil speech tropes getting messed with.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Captain_Person posted:

Oh no now Mechagodzilla is haunted by the ghost of King Ghidorah was my read on it and it's exactly the level of dumb I was expecting.

I loved it.

Yeah, that was how I read it, too. Which is ridiculous, but fun and insane. But someone mentioned an AI, so I was curious.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This was so similar to bvs lol

I, no, that is stupid and makes no...wait.........holy poo poo. So Godzilla is...and Kong is...and Mecha....HOLY poo poo....

I say this as someone who loves BvS, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dignity Van Houten posted:

"There goes Kong, the smartest and most dextrous titan to walk the planet. No one bows to Kong. He does what he wants, when he wants. He weighs as much as a mountain."
*scene missing*
"This is a bad idea" she says. Kong is in the background, wrapped in chains, chilling on a boat.

I agree, that was weird, and left me confused. I forgot about that.