Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

WEH posted:

I don't necessarily disagree that he as a director has taken that stance, however, I do think that if that was indeed his intent it was hamfisted to the detriment of his point

Disagree. Jai is capitalistic colonial commentary staring you in the face. They explicitly say they didn't know she could communicate with Kong. This means she wasn't brought along for that purpose and is instead just an adopted psuedo brown child for a white woman to dote over.

I feel the entire movie is about how lovely capitalism can be to the point that it corrupts the very center of the world by the end. All in the name of protecting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

WEH posted:

Sure, still hamfisted
Hamfisted would be how they get out of hollow earth the first time, them specifically not exposition bombing their relationship to Jai is the opposite.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Alec Eiffel posted:

Why did Mechagodzilla go apeshit

Anime

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

Wish there was less dumb bullshit. Flouride jokes were old fifty years ago

Is it a joke? They end the scene labeling the non conspiracy nut a loser.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I want to be able to cheer when King Kong smashes Godzilla through a building, not go "ew... like hundreds of innocent people just died there because of our 'hero.'"

This was the best part. They're not our heroes, they're our gods. They can do what they want and we have to take it. Main reason i haven't jelled with this version is how they treat them as pets. They still do that here, but it ends up costing a bunch of lives because of it. Good.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Godzilla and Kong hated each other so much they refused to film thier fight scenes in the same room.

Kong needs vin diesel's agent so he never gets filmed losing a fight again.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

As hammy as the movie was the titular mecha Godzilla line pinched me in the gut and took my lunch money.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What if zod but big. Wow.

I'll never not believe they were working off a bvs script

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Despite all the jokes about "Mothra=Martha" during the years leading up to this film, GvK suffers from a distinct lack of a Martha scene. Kong, like Batman, has been turned into the very thing he fought against - in this case a weapon used by the US government. This film needed a moment where he stops being a tool of Monarch and becomes his own Kong.

Skarsgard needed this moment too. The dude just blindly does whatever and never repents for serving the bad guy. Hated the humans because they just looked on like, oh well, Kong gonna die.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The best part is the energy duplicator (lol) and scream hole were both "answers" for an obviously hacked up plot hole ridden script.

Out of everything ridiculous that happened some how the energy duplicator destroyed my suspension of disbelief.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The Bee posted:

The scream hole was hilariously dumb, but also amazing and Iove it.

I cackled, it was the film saying gently caress it loudly.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

First of all, they were mining energon, so I'm gonna need a transformer cross over forget Pacific rim. And wouldn't the existence of an energy signal duplicator(of a literal physical thing, not even a wave form like light itself) mean they could already know the make up of energy and how to increase it on a granular level? What would finding a different "more powerful" pattern do/be/mean in this case? They could've said that one small piece was as powerful as a nuke and had the bot fly at super sonic speeds or some poo poo, but they didn't even loving try.

I need to watch it again

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If only his son had any characterization at all beyond “this is Ren Serizawa”

I still can’t believe they dropped a Serizawa son into this movie and somehow did less with him than the villain’s actual child, who they also did basically nothing with.
The first time they said his name I had to turn on subtitles because I couldn't believe they'd just fly past that.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

You said Serizawa twice.

I like Serizawa!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

movie absolutely needed Rodan as Starscream some more helping Godzilla but then switching sides to helping Kong to then going back to siding with Godzilla at the end.

That's what happens in kotm pretty much lol Rodan fight against the humans is still my favorite scene in the franchise.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

God eats man, woman inherits the earth.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Actually, King of the Monsters went out of it's way to frame Ghidorah with the cross in it's most famous shot. Now, in this one, he rises from the dead. Clearly, King G is a Christ figure, not a Devil.

But we know better now, don't we? Devils don't come from hell beneath us. They come from the sky.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I hate getting hosed with at the movies.

I love it. A perfect getaway and atonement are a couple of my favorite movies for this reason. The super hero boom has really placated viewer expectation into bite sized easily digestible moments of tension and mystery. Rian Johnson got a ton of hate for doing what generations of directors did before him, look at what he's seen and expects from a genre and swerving. That's how cinema thrives.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

RBX posted:

People will defend any amount of poo poo if it even slightly fits with what they like. Scream or Nightmare killing the perceived main character early in the movie is not the same as in a Godzilla movie. I'm not really here to see humans so if I have to see them I would want it to be great actors like Cranston. To then do the opposite just pisses me off. Not even gonna get into that other tired take.

I honestly don't get the difference, they're both monster/killer fodder. Hell, the only reason my uncle took us to scream 2 was for Jada, a good actor, and she didn't make it through the credits. And monster movies have even less of a reason for pathos

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I'm thinking about grabbing the novelization at some point, the prose is actually pretty well done and the passage describing Godzilla the star eater was pretty thrilling.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The best thing about Kong's movie was the island. It allows you to feel Kongs presence even when he's not there. Roberts was a genius when one of the first shots when the humans are on ground has Kong just chilling in the background. From then on, you're searching for Kong, just like the characters are, wondering when he's gonna appear again.

It's seems a lot harder to do something global like that with Godzilla, especially in the modern age where they can track his every movement. It's a lot more difficult to translate the known into a force of nature.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The main problem with kotm and gvk isn't that there's human stuff, it's that in kotm it's privileged white mom bioterrorist shocked when things go wrong while her daughter plays the parent trap during kaiju attacks. And gvk is angelina jolie adopts a kid with a pet monster and they use it to fight another monster her employer is provoking.

Kong is a horror film where the humans are just trying to get off the island before the things they woke up kill them. And Kongs characters are chock full of political commentary, so good.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I thought everyone was just upset you don't get to see it. Folks were excited from what I remember, because they kept hammering the fact that this was a baby monster.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Hexmage-SA posted:

So Adam Wingard (Godzilla vs Kong's director) is reportedly in talks for another MonsterVerse movie, with one tentative title being "Son of Kong".

Do we If they're gonna release the deleted scenes for GvK? We're probably missing the ending with Kong mounting the dead corpse of mecha G.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

He's a good conspiracy theorist like a young Alex Jones.

There were go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I thought he just defeated them, not not literally murdered them all?

You're right, they talk about them hibernating and we literally see them bow down to him the movie before. Do people think there was a battle we missed?