Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this movie loving sucked. well, okay, I'll expand on that. every single scene that wasn't either monsters or Ken Watanabe(barring the hosed up fortune cookie line, what the gently caress were they thinking) loving sucked, which was about 3/5 of the movie, so the rottentomatoes score is pretty accurate. 40% of the movie, the 40%(being generous) that is monsters doing what they do, is fantastic. Godzilla and Mothra have more charisma than the entire non-Ken Watanabe human cast combined. The scene at the end where the kid is running slowly through the collapsing fenway park as the equivalent of The Day After Tomorrow's ~deadly frost chase sequence~ happens except it's the big bad slowly dragging an electric laser beam behind her when he'd casually flicked his head and vaporised two soldiers instantly in another scene was absolutely abysmal. The entire family plot was trash garbage especially since it focused on a person who basically caused a small apocalypse and expected you to feel any sort of sympathy for her after she actively, knowingly, literally pressed The Button to kick it all off. Some of the ideas the movie has, while not original necessarily(monsters being the planet's immune system, Hollow Earth, etc) are great and would be fun to expand upon but instead the movie focuses almost entirely around a family subplot that nobody cared for. Some people in my theater cheered when the humvee got blasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Just to pick up on this scene again and not sure if this was an editing oversight, but did it look to anyone else that when she ran out of the fire escape that giant piece of rubble landed firmly on her head? I only flag it up because it looked like she got solidly clonked by debris, to the point I thought "oh okay she's going to be unconscious and the family will find her here", but no she was fine.
I swear it sounded like a giant piece of foam when it hit her, too. Definitely noticed that myself

The Golden Gael posted:

I definitely saw it also, as did a friend I went with.

Some musings:

and I loved how Rodan almost curtsied at the end to our King

If ever there was a Starscream in the new cinematic godzilla heirarchy, Rodan'd be it

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 2, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What was this again? Also, what was Charles Dance trying to do, exactly? All I remember is he was like “humans are terrible” but the way it was written it didn’t seem like a complete thought.

I believe there was even a line from him when it's revealed ghidora is an alien and will cause a true end of the world and he's like "eh, sure, whatever gets the job done", so basically he just wants all humanity wiped out by any means necessary

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is the movie out in Japan already? How are they taking it?

Really the one thing I'm sad about is that pacific rim + godzilla + king kong will never happen. Though after PR2 perhaps that's for the best.

Peacoffee posted:

With how much movies cost it astounds me people pay to go and then walk out at all. Like I get having to piss during a movie every once in awhile because that’s how it goes. Falling asleep or going to get food though seems like it’s at odds with caring enough to have an opinion at all.
The theater I go to has matinee tickets for six bucks. There's affordable smaller locations in a lot of places.

Roland Jones posted:

Apparently there was also a cut credits scene of Dr. Chen and Dr. Ling walking into a temple where there would be a new Mothra egg and a couple of young twins singing to it, as a more overt reference to them being this universe's take on the Shobijin, among other things, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fair amount beyond that too.
That's a big bummer because that scene is what I was hoping the post credits scene was going to be after Mothra did her shonen anime heroic sacrifice into her remains powering up the protagonist move

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mastershakeman posted:

Who the gently caress is starscream and why is Rodan compared to him
It's kind of incredible that you don't know who starscream is, how old are you? He's the poster child for incredibly smug, backstabbing, overambitious flyboys, rodan in this movie fits him to a T

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, which is why I asked how old they were, it wasn't an insult or anything, but more that on this forum where a lot of over-30 folks post they have never seen him mentioned. Anyways, he's the go-to ridiculously ambitious relatively powerful underling who is just waiting for the moment of weakness to strike and take over, but is an utter coward when shown he is weaker.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a Rick and Morty sticker on the laptop at the beginning. You can't escape it.

Suddenly including the awful fortune cookie line makes a lot more sense

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The power up godzilla received resulted in him turning into a world of warcraft mage and just running in circles spamming arcane explosion and hoping his target dies before he does

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UIFnOIUoz0&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ungulateman posted:

'Nuclear families' are important in KotM in the same way 'nuclear weapons' are - as fuel to the God(zilla)-King of the Monsters.

Emma's death is her sealing the covenant between humanity and Godzilla that Serizawa first offered, in the same way Mothra's sacrifice is her fulfilling their symbiotic relationship. Serizawa's sacrifice was an offering to an ancient god; Emma's is a pact between equals. That's the idea behind the 'alpha signal' including human voice patterns, and the revelation that humanity is the newest Titan.

nah it's her going "oh poo poo I'm going to get tried at The Hague, I'll go out on my terms" or, more nobly, "oh poo poo I gotta distract the giant killer monster away from my daughter"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I said come in! posted:

Still waiting for Godzilla vs. Clifford the Big Red Dog.
that happened a year or two ago, it was called Rampage

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah rampage was a ton(or...many, many tons, dohoho) of fun. it didn't take itself seriously at all and was better for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Calibanibal posted:

when the girl first enters boston there is an overhead shot of her crossing a hilltop smothered in an invasive vine
You're totally right, I noticed that but kinda sequestered it in the back of my mind. Do you or anyone have a screenshot of that moment, I wonder if I could identify the vine. Since it's around boston, if they actually went for accuracy and had a shot with Oriental Bittersweet covering everything that'd be neat. And terrible. Because OB is just shy of Kudzu as far as horrible invasive plants go.

Actually it's worse, since it grows almost as fast, but is inedible, oily, poisonous, and has poisonous berries, while kudzu can be used in salads.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The stinger: Evil guy who's been missing half the film is led to a secret hangar by a smuggler who wants to sell him Lefty.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Your mom's a kaiju.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mantis42 posted:

However, The Statue of Liberty is Mecha

confirmed

(space dandy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43LCg8F2T4k

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
do you have a version of that that isn't one giant artifact

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
thought you fellas might enjoy this, there's sometimes some decent stuff on mashup t-shirt sites and I like this one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What if his full size he could use godzilla AS a gun

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was only available for 24 hours after that post, ript is one of those 24-hour pop-culture tee sites that puts up 3 designs a day and once the next day rolls over the prior 3 are retired forever, unfortunately. If you're interested I'd recommend signing up for their mailing list, they send out new designs via email at 1AM EST. Sometimes they revive old designs for limited (and more expensive) reruns. Teefury is another decent site for those types of shirts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hello, godzilla thread.

"Enjoy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdAlV8zqTBw&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CelticPredator posted:

He seems fine about it. And is clearly proud of his work.

In short he don’t give a gently caress and made a sincere film as opposed to something made by a committee of screeching movie goers.
wait I had assumed it was a joke but now with the above post, was this:

CelticPredator posted:

Imagine not liking KOTM. What a hideous existence
completely unironic?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CelticPredator posted:

The movie loving owns.
imagine thinking kotm is more than just okay with a bucket full of caveats, what an oblivious existence

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
*watches ken watanabe verbally atomic bomb with his fortune cookie joke before literally atomic bombing godzilla*

"if you do not like this, this high cinema, pinnacle of the art form, you are a wretch"

wdarkk posted:

I should really rewatch kotm so I can separate my feelings for it from the "real imax for the first time in years" feeling.
the monster scenes were absolutely made for the biggest screen possible so I'd say it'd suffer if it was on a small screen, but if you've got a gigantic tv it might do the trick

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fsmhunk posted:

No, I liked every aspect of the movie and I'm not ashamed, not only that, but it's objectively good and anyone who disagrees simply isn't brave enough to stand up for themselves.
80% of KOTM belongs in the garbage and you belong in there with it, this is absolute fact.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CelticPredator posted:

The opposite reading is true, and also eat my rear end.
please explain why the movie is not mediocre at best, because outside of the parts involving monsters the human stuff was mostly awful.

The post earlier about "wanting to like KOTM despite its best efforts to prevent me from doing so" was spot on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CelticPredator posted:

Fuckin Rodan coming in and loving up a buncha planes was fuckin sweet. It also has the best score of the year.

King Ghidorah is an incredibly well rounded villain despite being an alien that doesn’t say a single word.

yes I agree with you the monsters are phenomenal, I have never disputed this

the issue is...the rest of the movie, with the humans, who are all bad except like 3 of them

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
'cause you're being really weird

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, the movie looked really good, and stuff like rodan's descent from the volcano and his barrel roll and stuff like that was loving outstanding

and mothra's caterpillar form was a cutiepillar

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Burkion posted:

See I feel like I'm in this weird gray area where I loved the monster stuff but I hated a good chunk of the human stuff but not enoguh to HATE it, and I felt the monster stuff out weighed the human stuff

But not to a degree that I'd fight people over it.

To me, this was a Godzilla movie. Not one of the best, but not one of the worst, and getting to see it in a theater was a fantastic experience even if I honestly, legit think that the movie would be made better if the dad was removed 100% and the mom was made the lead and given his beef with Godzilla.

Mothra coming down and kicking Ghidorah's rear end as the chanting goes GOJIRA MOSURA FOREVER is the best moment I've had in a theater in years, lame flimsy rear end human scenes be damned

I have serious reservations with the nuke thing, even if I can justify it in my head, and I personally do not like what they did with Rodan's character even if I acknowledge that what they DID was fun. It's one of those things where I like it despite itself. I guess because of those two specific draw backs, I can't say this is one of my favorite Godzilla films ever forever

Kid me would have loved the film though. Also would have fast forwarded through all the human bits on a lovely VHS before school started to see the kaiju action like he did with DAM
Yeah, this is mostly my stance on it, when I'm being serious and not shitposting. I loved the action and the character writing for the monsters, despite not a single word spoken from any of them, they had literal tons more charisma and interesting character arcs than any of the humans in the movie. the climax for ken watanabe's character was stymied by a metaphorical dramatic banana peel with the fortune cookie joke, you had the scientist dude spouting terrible oneliners constantly, the central family's parents were either obnoxious or horrible people, and this movie had one of the worst Killer Frost From Day After Tomorrow scenes with Ghidorah and the kid running through Fenway just ~barely~ dodging the hundred-meter-tall monster's army-annihilating attacks constantly.

oh also the giant foam boulder that hit them and bounced off super obviously and somehow didn't get cut out of the movie lol

Terrible Opinions posted:

Also as far as I remember no pedo tiddy.
nah he's specifically trying to start poo poo with me because I casually said the movie he likes is bad, so he immediately went for dredging up old drama and rapsheet diving, it's funny

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's just got the one. What, you thought that was a tail this whole time?
godzilla is actually just a giant penis with arms and legs.

what, you thought that was radioactive breath?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sobatchja Morda posted:

So, here's something I've been wondering for some time: have their ever been any recent games that succesfully captured the feeling of a kaiju film? I know about games like Rampage and a bunch of Godzilla fighting games on ps2, but it seems like a concept that would work really well on modern hardware. Or, you know, is actually released in the west. Does any of you have any suggestions?

Or, failing that, has there ever been a cool Godzilla mod outside of Minecraft, Skyrim or GTA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Y3Udr8p0A&hd=1&t=1198s

I may have played this mission a dozen times, just because it was so drat fun punching the poo poo out of a dozen notzillas

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it should have transformed into a robot and required two pilots, synced together

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

This is being touted as the final in Hideki Kamiya's now-named Hero Trilogy after the Kamen Rider pastiche Viewtiful Joe and the Sentai-based Wonderful 101.
speaking of, there is currently a Kickstarter for Wonderful 101 on non-WiiU platforms with 8 days to go as of this post and the game is phenomenal, excellent, even stupendous, I highly recommend pledging because it's definitely a game worth playing. It's criminal it did so poorly and was shackled to a dead console for so long, but it's great that it can finally be on a platform that someone actually owns

Chip Cheezum did a fantastic LP of the game in 2014, it's one of my big favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTd5te_LwA&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I love how one of the rewards for the hundred dollar tier onward is getting blocked on Twitter by Hideki Kamiya.
Even better, one of the stretch goals is Hideki Kamiya being forced to UNBLOCK EVERYONE ON TWITTER.

his block list is legend, so that's no small feat

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for those who might not read manga, there's one that is relevant to the thread going on right now, it's good and fun. It's called Kaiju Girl Caramelise(official english releases), and it's a shojo manga(girl's manga) about a girl who when she feels extreme feelings such as, say, love, she turns into a godzilla-esque kaiju. this is of course a problem for her school and social life.

it's a romcom, and a good one, and also does a decent job at handling someone's issues about their own image and body. The art is great, the goofy-rear end looney toons super deformed style the characters sometimes go into is great, and the romance is fluffy. The most recent chapter introduced a trio of gyaru who may be familiar. Even has the stitching on one of their necks. :v:

There's a little fanservice, but nothing super overt compared to a lot of romcom manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
all of the monster scenes are outstanding

all of the human scenes are garbage

badabing badaboom

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Irony.or.Death posted:

And that would be fine even except they kept smushing human scenes into what were supposed to be monster scenes!!!

Yes I am still mad about the stupid loving Ghidorah chase

my "favorite" scene in the movie happens there though, when she gets bonked by a gigantic foam boulder and it just kinda bounces off of her and is super obvious and terrible

if I had a gif I would post it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I opened my Shin Godzilla bluray and found an Ultraviolet code for a digital copy of the movie. It's cool to hand these out here, right? anyone want it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sure, then here's the code, first come first served: FGZZXA15H4C4DB83