Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still wonder if they have the balls for Mechagodzilla.

Godzilla's browser history becomes sentient and bent on being the only G in town.

Swipe right on action! summer 2021!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

One Punch Man X Godzilla team up when?!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mecha Gojira posted:

Gigan and Ghidorah are basically space mercenaries. They work for whoever is willing to pay. What kind of super villain can’t spot a few bucks for a henchman.

You know I took this at face value as a kid but reading it now... There's a lot of unanswered questions here.

What currency do you use to pay space monsters?
How do you communicate?
Is there some kind of contract (neither monster even has hands...)
Are there more space monsters? A union?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So has anyone else watched Godzilla: City on the Edge Of Battle yet?

I've got 30 minutes left.

A lot of interesting ideas spoiled by a glacially slow plot and not enough Kaiju.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Oppenheimer trailer is one of the greatest teasers ever created.

Notable for being incredibly effective and not spoilering the entire movie.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Also interesting, the actress playing the ecoterrorist lady noted in an interview that her character has invented a device that lets her speak with the kaiju - and, she believes, control them.

I'll take "Jesus Christ That's A Bad Idea" for 500.

The comic half century war has a Kaiju attracting plot thingy that wouldn't be too dumb for a movie.

Film looks awesome and the Godzilla + jets scene sent me straight back to being a little kid cheering for Godzilla to save the earth. He's so grumpy now too!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The MUTOs, Orga, Titanosaurus...the sea lice from '84....that's it, really. Nobody wants to see Big G fight a bunch of chumps.

e: oh yeah, the mangy-rear end bird from Ebirah. The internet says its name is "Daikondoro", which I believe translates to "radish doro"

Titanosaur had a cool look he was just a tier below in power. You mentioned the bird from ebirah but what about ebirah itself. Oh no a giant lobster....! The octopus from GvK was more threatening and only a bit part.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Skull island Is a B movie with a 200million dollar budget.

Yeah it was a fun movie!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Jimbot posted:

I'm wondering if they'll use the same Godzilla design as Shin in a new Japanese Godzilla film or change it up. I liked Shin's weird, gross design a lot but I think the American Godzilla is just mastercraft.

Tell that to the commander-in-chief.

It's hard to imagine shin Godzilla throwing down with king Ghidorah or wrestling Rodan. I think they'll need a new design if they're going to do G v

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm actually not that big a fan of Shin's final form but his tadpole/amphibious stage is loving terrifying.
His final form just lacks mobility, which you think he'd have more of when you realize a lot of his extra bulk was applied via CGI in post. He just doesn't move enough to feel real to me, which was not a problem his tadpole form had.

I actually liked that it was very uprite and architectural in it's final form. Gave Godzilla a kind of unnatural menace. To me, the stiffness plus the hands give off this feeling that existing is painful for him. The lower forms feel that way too but in a more spazzy way. maybe there's something there about shin Godzilla's nature.

Also noticed how much he moved when raging out at being actually hurt to then freezing solid to recover. Like an earthquake or something.

Still can't see him holding down a muto and blasting off it's face.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

It should be Jet Jaeger, and spawn a Godzilla vs Pacific Rim crossover.

Nerd alert but I remember sitting in Pacific rim and wishing so hard there was some kind of secret Godzilla tie-in because watching a giant monster movie with modern effects made me so nostalgic for being a kid and looking past bad fx to cheer for Godzilla to save the day. Pacific Rim was cool enough but I was too old to really feel that emotional connection.

Shin Godzilla was good but I think Godzilla as disinterested yet heroic is the best place for the character. Godzilla 2014 wasn't perfect but I was a grown rear end man that almost jumped out of my chair when those back scales lit up.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Perfect Godzilla movie formula:

30% giant monster fights
30% shots that remind us we are ants on the picnic cloth of reality
30% cabinet meetings
10% mothra twins singing

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Acceptable.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

This is part of why that Godzilla anime was such a frustrating let down. The idea is such a perfect endgame "Godzilla happened and is truly King of the Monsters, now what?" scenario that allows for all kinds of cool poo poo, but then we got what we got.

It costs the exact same to animate people as it does to animate Kaiju (I assume) and yet they still managed to make it a talky boring POS movie.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

His final form will be a 45 minute internal monologue.

Ghidorah: time eater

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Godzilla does have great face reactions.

Yeah they really nailed his movements and expressions. Hope that continues

I wonder if toho said "don't make it all monster fights" in the sense that there needs to be a narrative and reasons to care but the team took it very literally.

Mechagodzilla city was a cool idea and even though turning into literal mechagodzilla would have been obvious they could have made it work I think.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Tekne posted:

The full image sure is something.

Look at them at it again body shaming that big beautiful lizard with their photoshopping. When will hollyweird accept full figured Kaiju? When?!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I would enjoy the revelation that Ghidorah is the smartest monster but also the most malevolent.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Desumaytah posted:

In terms of branding, yeah, Kong was the favorite. I'm talking physically. Even in KKvG, where he was beefed up to Godzilla's size, Kong was portrayed pretty solidly as having to fight an uphill battle. The only thing that saved him at the end was the lightning storm.

It might be cheesetastic but judging by what we've seen legendary could do one heck of an angry lightning-kong scene.

Maybe with John c Riley coming back to narrate.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I wonder how much it would cost to do a full legendary style Godzilla flight scene. Just like as a short on YouTube.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

good points there on the radiation scars and behavior, never thought about that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

My only Godzilla toy as a child was Trendmasters' Space Godzilla. I loved that loving toy.

I had one of those as well and it got so banged up the shoulder crystals were like a rainbow of other toy's paint.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Also as back as at least Dante, a three-headed Satan has been a thing. In Inferno, he's got the body of a different great traitor of history being munched on in each head while being trapped in a lake of ice down at the 9th level of Hell.

A very windy lake...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Godzilla 85 was the only version available at Blockbuster and the newest Godzilla movie on offer so I watched the crap out of it. I also only saw the original in American form so I assumed that toho cast some white people to further tie in the whole WWII theme and maybe increase international appeal.

I remember finding the Russian nuke launch weird even as a kid - really ham handed propaganda.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Desumaytah posted:

Kong cannot beat Godzilla alone, so Universal should just dial up his intelligence even further until he just builds Mechagodzilla himself.

Kong built this in a cave! With scraps!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

FooF posted:

I shouldn't have watched that...but I'm so glad I did.

They really have kept the G'14 approach of scale. And King G is unapologetically sinister. I love it. The MUTOs actually had a kind of warmth to them due to their need to reproduce but not the Dragon. Man.

There is that one part where the mutos meet up and do that kinda bird beak rub/touch... Thing.

If I remember right the female is visibly upset when Godzilla swats the male.

They did *such* a good job in g14 with the Kaiju as characters.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Tekne posted:

Legendary Goji may be a little thick, but he could level a mountain with that physique.

Westeros is even more screwed than before.
https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1118937256822054912

Godzilla opens 1 eye sees white walker army. Vaporizes them, leaves.

Series over, get off my lawn.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

imagine if you were on that beach

but also imagine that the anime godzilla wasn't there because those films sucked

the concept of a global-scale godzilla is so cool and was so squandered.

They even nailed that reveal in the first episode.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

how did godzilla even get to his secret hideout anyway? like, I know the answer is hollow earth teleport tunnels but like, he was literally dead right then, they played his heartbeat on screen flatlining. Is the idea that he is so powerful that even dead he can walk around and go home?

I assumed he went down one of those tunnels and they interpreted the fading signal as death.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

The Golden Gael posted:

It really fits with him being Satan that he comes from the bottom of the Earth.

Entombed in ice. Multiple heads. Strong winds...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

What is the 03 second thing? I can't see well enough to tell.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Thank you for posts and the screen cap. I thought that was a bus...

Trailer looked promising although there's a fine line between dumb fun and bad so I'm still hold onto my nerd rose.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

No part 2? I thought that was pretty cool.

Also a further indictment of the godzilla anime failing to bring us awesome kaiju action in a context where human and monster costs are equal.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

They saw that everyone figured out Mechagodzilla is in the movie, now they're doing new CGI with Mecha King Ghidorah instead

But really, how has Mecha KG been in only one movie?

Mecha KG can only survive in the 90's. Very specific ecology.

Also I would love it if the blu-ray titan edition or whatever has localized endings. We've been working to make all these childhood urban legends real, let's get this one knocked out.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

McSpanky posted:

This might just be the greatest haymaker committed to film.

I didn't notice before how his follow through carries him over and the little fireball. Quite a punch

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

At least with anime the budget difference between monster and human is zero. I posted before but repeating: somehow the netflix godzilla took ZERO advantage of that fact but maybe others will.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I like how the guy is going to fistfight the robot that just sprinted to catch their car and is now holding the front end off the ground with apparent ease.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

His monsters have so much personality you know exactly what they’re about without anyone saying anything.

The shot where Rodan smiles devilishly at the jet fighters is amazing. Like maybe the script is rough it parts due to who knows what, but it kills it where it counts.

They did a stellar job with all the monster expressions and personality. I feel like that's often lost because of the uneven human bits and pacing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Powerloader v alien queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

It takes me back to when I was 10 and my favorite websites included that and Barry's Temple of Godzilla.

Not empty quote

E: Site still exists! No new content in 16 years except looks like he has a G14 review for old times sake.

http://www.godzillatemple.com/index2.htm

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 15, 2021