Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EVERY FAIRY TALE NEEDS ITS HERO.

My buddy and I have been watching kaiju movies over video chat and warming up beforehand with some short-form content with random Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, and Ultraman episodes. Anyone have any recommendations for some particularly nutso kaiju or kaiju-adjacent content that would be great appetite-whetters? Doesn't have to be straight narrative or TV if you've got any outside the box ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

EXPLAIN THIS, WITH YOUR SO-CALLED SCIENCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfS5kBGBh00

He's clearly fighting, uh... *googles invisible kaiju* Neronga

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

It's a Godzilla movie. It's going to be a fun mess.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Krampus is solid but not remarkable. Other than the fact that comedy-horror has such a high miss rate these days that anything which fully works is in some way noteworthy. Krampus is fun and enjoyable and has some cool effects and then you kinda forget about it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

KotM seems like the sort of movie where the script wasn't locked until the week after the movie came out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Colossal is my vote for best American kaiju-centric film in the modern era. The monster itself isn't much to write home about but it's a great flick.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Technically it's larger than any recorded great white, but not outside of theoretical possibility.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

By that definition, an elephant is a kaiju.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

Elephant Guns

Ah yes, the somewhat convenientional elephant gun. Classically conventional in that it had to be invented to kill one particular animal because a conventional gun was not able.

But, I mean, whales are definitely kaiju in my book.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Whoa, Gamera 3 really perfected his design. The first two are rad and all, but 30 minutes in this is blowing everything before out of the water.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Exactly. I want to love, respect, and cherish Mothra. She's marriage material.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I wanna watch that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Pitch your idea for a kaiju theme park attraction.

Mine is the Matterhorn, but instead of going into a mountain you just go into Godzilla's mouth and have an adventure in his digestive tract.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

You stole that off my Godzilla Geocities page

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Universal Studios Kong ride is pretty solid. It's one of those lame 3D projection one, but as far as those go it's top-tier. Best queue I've ever been in. Not a bad way at all to kill some time before Halloween Horror Nights if you ask me.

e: I have memories of the 90s ride burned into my brain. Seeing that massive puppet as a young kid was an incredible, terrifying image. Goddamn that's good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOGaIJGnPE

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 16, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

That's the one I was referring to. It's fun! But it's not as good as a real ride.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I mean... what else are they gonna play?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I was under the mistaken impression that this was on HBO Max tonight

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

microdosing with ultra q episodes to get my kaiju fix

Everyone who is disappointed about no monsters tonight needs to do this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Universal is still trying to get their shared universe going. Give us a real Godzilla vs. Frankenstein, cowards!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

THEM! is still the best American made giant creature movie of it's era imo.

For sure, but The Blob isn't far behind. I also have a real soft spot for The Deadly Mantis and The Black Scorpion.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shiroc posted:

I haven't seen either but given the 50s, is the Blob supposed to be a communism metaphor? Feels very 'oh no the evil mass taking away your individuality!' anxiety.

I mean, you could read it as that, but that was definitely not the intention. The film was made by a commune of Christian filmmakers (and one producer who just wanted to make a cool monster movie) who wanted to create a film brimming with compassion for the youth of the day. The director's previous film was a scare-tactic juvenile delinquent film (that was taken away from him and had a bunch of exploitative sleaze put into it), and he wanted to create a film that sympathized with "good kids" of the day and modeled positive behavior while also recognizing that teens will be teens and we should cut them a break.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

10 Cloverfield would've been a better movie with a straighter ending, but not by much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

So it's the Unified Theory of Superman's Powers but for monsters?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I think the big challenge they're going to come up against exploring the Hollow Earth in subsequent films is the incredibly racist foundations of Hollow Earth theory and ancient civilizations in general. They might be able to sidestep it to some degree by not exploring the history of that civilization, but I doubt that they have the restraint. If you read anything at all about the Hollow Earth it's all built on the back of ancient brilliant white people who seeded every major accomplishment of mankind.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Violator posted:

I'm guessing there's no joy in making these. I would think you could find some folks who would love to work with small budgets just for the thrill of it and the ingenuity. I always think about how much fun it must have been to make stuff like Bloodsport or Evil Dead 1 or Alligator. But these have always just felt so devoid of love and joy. If you're going to make a mockbuster of GvK wouldn't it make more sense to go practical and build suits and cities and beat the poo poo out of each other? Go back to basics of the original but turn it to 11 and go full Crank and make something people will talk about.

Passion projects take time. Mockbusters do not have the luxury of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I'd spend 90% of the budget shooting an incredible trailer, then 10% on the rest of the production. Fool 'em as much as you can, since it's not like anyone walks away from those movies satisfied anyway.