Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Seriously, name one for which this is not the case. Rodan's is pretty decent.

Godzilla vs. Gigan has a pretty memorable human plot, I think. Comic book artist uncovers Trojan horse plot by cockroaches from space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

I could do with a recommendation. I watched a whole bunch of Godzilla films I rented on VHS from my local library as a kid, but all the memories of them have blurred into one enjoyable mess and I don't really remember which ones I specifically saw anymore (besides Mothra vs. Godzilla, which was my favourite.)

Anyway, I have a regular movie night with some friends where we tend to watch films that trend towards the funnier-goofier side of things and get drunk. Good times. I was wondering if someone could recommend a Godzilla film with some silly moments that would be good to watch with friends and drinks please?

vs. Hedorah, Final Wars, and vs. Megalon are all excellent suggestions for that type of Godzilla movie, but I'll stump for Godzilla vs. Gigan (aka Godzilla on Monster Island). The bad guys are cockroach people from space and Godzilla speaks!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It's funny because we already have the "all-Godzilla" Godzilla movies. They're called "Transformers" and nerds hate them.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Eh, i don't hate it. Though I've really come to love how bulky and massive Edwards' Godzilla is.

This would look so much better if he wasn't so green.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

GMK Godzilla's suit itself is just poorly made and unnatural looking. It tried to do a lot but the hips and the neck do not work well.

If I'm remembering right, the original plan was for the suit actor to use a more hunched-over, dinosaur-like posture, but it was nearly impossible for him to hold that stance for long enough so he used a more traditional upright posture. The GMK suit wasn't designed for that, and you can see that in how Godzilla's toes kind of angle up in some shots.

GMK might be my favorite Godzilla movie because of the supernatural angle. Making Godzilla a manifestation of the suffering Japan caused during the war gives him an actual purpose that's deeper than the "Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" riff he's usually been. The Heisei movies always suffered a bit in my opinion because they took a naturalistic approach to Godzilla that limited him to little more than a giant animal. GMK takes those shackles off and allows Godzilla to be purely malevolent, which makes him more compelling. He's not an animal acting on instinct, he's a monster, and you know it the moment he curb-stomps Baragon. There's no luring this Godzilla into a volcano with bird calls.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Agreed. Ironically what I like about Shin is that it takes things to the opposite extreme, where Godzilla has a very obvious animalistic lack of intelligence to it, where there's no playing on its thoughts or tricking it or luring it. It has an instinct and nothing more. and that's terrifying in its own right.

Absolutely, to me Shin is the exemplar of the "naturalistic" Godzilla, where he's a wild animal acting out of confusion and/or fear. The Heisei movies have enough good qualities to recommend them on the whole, but Heisei Godzilla is more like the neighbor's dog that you don't want digging in your garden but if you yell at him he'll turn around and lope on home. He's domesticated, which to be fair is appropriate for the structure and tone of those films.

One of the reasons I really like the 2014 Godzilla is because it tries to split the difference between the naturalistic and supernatural nature of Godzilla. Godzilla and the MUTOs are shown to behave like animals, but the movie often presents them in the manner of mythical creatures and ends with mankind ascribing religious significance to Godzilla's actions. I don't think it's a coincidence that Bryan Cranston's character declares that the monsters will send the human race "back to the Stone Age."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The only time a knock down drag out fight has ever worked in a giant monster movie is War of the Gargantuas and it's pretty obvious why.

Absolutely - the scale and the design of the suits really make the action in that movie pop in a totally different way than most other kaiju movies. I'm always surprised that War of the Gargantuas doesn't have as strong of a following as it deserves. It feels underrated even though the consensus on it is very positive.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I only made it through the initial 20 minutes of the first Godzilla anime. I'm simultaneously relieved and angry that I don't need to catch up with the rest of it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

I have never seen Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla but I love the idea of someone coming up with the title and concept after a night of heavy drinking

“Ughhhhhhh the new Godzilla is due tomorrow what should we do?”

“Uh... Space Godzilla?”

“Sure whatever we need to start filming in 10 minutes let’s go”

There was a real fixation in the Heisei era to give every monster multiple variants. Call it the Pokemon Effect.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

King Kong throwing the Space Needle like a javelin.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The idea of worshipping Godzilla is already baked into G14. Specifically, the news footage of Godzilla leaving SF is framed with the headline "Savior of San Francisco?" And of course there's Cranston's role as something of a prophet promising Godzilla's return. I love that the sequel appears to be leaning into than angle with stuff like Serizawa saying, "We would be his [pets]."

My favorite element of G14 was how the monsters are simply acting out their natural lifecycles, but humanity projects hostility or love onto their actions. When someone in the KOTM trailer asks, "Which ones are here to protect us, and which ones are here to threaten us?" I'm very interested to know if there's even an answer. I might be reading too much into it, but I think the answer will ultimately be "None of them."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I don't remember where I read it, but some review of Pacific Rim 2 said you could tell all of the vision had been leeched out of the project because Stacker Pentecost's son was named "Jake." The character names went from "Newton Geizsler" and "Hannibal Chau" to "Nate Lambert" and "Jake."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rainbow Ghidorah owns, drat.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just found out the new movie will be called Godzilla 2 here in New Zealand.

On one hand they think we're dumb and wouldn't get that it's a sequel, but on the other I kind of like it in a goofy way.

It's actually kind of amazing that after 60+ years and at least four reboots that there's never been a movie titled "Godzilla 2" until now.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

tired: ham-fisted shot from Man of Steel of Superman with a stained-glass image of Jesus just out of focus in the background

wired: whatever is going on here

For serious, if this image was the only promotion this movie got, I would still be very excited about it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Has any kaiju movie ever used CGI just for the destruction? Like, the monster is suitmation on a miniature set, but the buildings it stomps on are CGI?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Ultraman the Next kind of did what you're asking- in that movie, the monsters were done with practical effects, but digitally placed in the 'real' city, to make it look more realistic. It actually looks pretty drat good.

That sounds cool, I'll have to check that out.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Shameful that a lifetime newspaper man like Jameson has a "you're/your" problem.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Tekne posted:

It's amusing to know that this is possible in Monsterverse.

Holy poo poo.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

If you had to cut it down to five, I’d pick:

1. Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster
2. Mothra vs. Godzilla
3. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
4. Shin Godzilla
5. War of the Gargantuas

There’s no Godzilla in the last one, but it’s one of the best Toho kaiju movies from that era.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

IMDB says it's Biollante in Mars Attacks, yeah.

Which tracks, since everything between Biollante and 2000 took years to come out in America and went straight-to-video, as a result of people getting seriously pissed about vs King Ghidorah's politics. It's unlikely Burton would have seen anything past Biollante in 1995.

Not necessarily - my comic book store had imported VHS tapes of the whole Heisei cycle as of 1997 or so. If a basic dork like me could have a copy of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II, I’m sure Tim Burton could have gotten his hands on one.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh, and if you’re wondering how all the Boston stuff played in a Boston area theater on opening night: very well. We got a spontaneous “YANKEES SUCK!” yell at one point and I almost died

When they were evacuating Fenway I noticed that the standings board had the Yankees in last place. That had to be a condition for filming inside the park because it would be impossible as long as the Orioles exist.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Does anyone know if the Criterion Showa set is going to have commentaries beyond the ones that were already included on G’54? It doesn’t seem lIke any of the other individual films are getting dedicated special features. I’m starting to regret selling my Classic Media DVD boxset for this reason.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

Sadly no, but if it's any consolation those Classic Media commentary tracks, and a bunch of other kaiju movie commentary tracks, can be found on youtube.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCY_h1wWImwwh9Fe5ck9dBRg

That’s a shame but thanks for the link!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

So my Criterion set showed up yesterday and I threw in Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster just to see how it looked. This is what greeted me:

Many of the shots I watched had this strip of digital noise or something pop up along the bottom just before a cut.
Is this a remnant from the film print, or possibly an authoring error on the disc? It’s incredibly distracting.

Edit: Okay, seems like it’s a problem with the disc specifically. Both of the other movies on Disc 3 have the same issue. None of the other discs I’ve tried so far exhibit any problems. Work’s a little slow today, obviously.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 30, 2019

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I have to transcribe a massive amount of audio, and it is incredibly boring, menial work. To keep myself occupied, I've taken to putting on a film without the sound in the background. First up were some Buster Keaton shorts, after that came Final Wars.

Sidenote: this might be the best way to watch Final Wars. Without dialogue, you notice even more how much of a cartoon that film is.

But the film is almost over, and I need something new to put on in the background. Are there any suggestions for what to put on next? I am looking for as much insane kaiju action as possible, with the human scenes at least entertaining enough that you can let them play by without sound. I was thinking of Invasion of the Astro Monster, but maybe vs Megalon would also fit the bill? vs The Sea Monster is straight out, though, since I could never watch that film without turning up the volume for that weird surfrock soundtrack.

Godzilla vs Gigan is a good one.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Players can buy maser cannons to steer Godzilla toward their opponents’ properties so they can buy them up cheap after they’re stomped flat.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

You know what’s a lot more affordable than wall-to-wall CGI?

Rubber suits. Just saying, WB.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

My favorite thing about Kong ‘76 is that scene where he fights a giant snake and the minature set is so flat and void of details that it looks like they’re fighting on a golf green.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Virtual lock that dude has spent more than $200 on a Japanese Laserdisc of Song of the South that he has never watched.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

When I was eight or nine, I emailed J.D. Lees a "Gappa vs. Rodan" short story. His response was extremely nice, but of course I was unaware of copyright laws, "no Toho characters allowed", and it could not be printed assuming it was good enough to print in the first place (probably not).

Well that's my G-fan story!

I'll bet he would have published if you changed it to "Gappa vs. Hillary Rodan Clinton."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Earlier someone here said that the american version of one or more of the godzilla movies was better than the original. Which movie(s) was that?

It’s generally accepted that the American cut of Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster is a tighter movie, I think. But I think the thread was saying this about King Kong vs Godzilla.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

wdarkk posted:

I think I've only ever seen one version of it, what's the difference?

The translated dialogue has a much more tongue-in-cheek quality to it, for one thing. Most notably, a missile is described as being able to tear through Godzilla "like crap through a goose!"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It does surprise me how niche the Kaiju genre actually is in America. I don’t quite get why giant monsters smashing things never quite makes that big of a splash over here.

America likes to be the smasher, not the smashee.

Edit: Okay, that’s a little unfair to say - we like watching our nation get torn up by aliens or natural disasters. I would say it has more to do with the stigma of foreign films than anything. No matter how many Americans he steps on, Godzilla will always be a Japanese import.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 9, 2020

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Target sells Godzilla plush toys.

Just be aware that these are typically found in the movie section with the “grown-up” collectibles, rather than the toy aisles.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I feel like I've never seen anyone here or in other forums acknowledge the existence of Spectreman. I had bootlegs of that show before I was in high school. Looked it up to make sure I didn't hallucinate that low budget junk.

Spectreman was legit one of my favorite TV shows as a kid and it sucks that you can’t really find it through any reasonable channels these days.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Andrew Wyeth's Gaira's World (c. 1966)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Singular Point already looks like it has more life than the Netflix anime, so that’s at least something. And Jet Jaguar is worth like a million points all by himself, so it was already superior before the word go.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

My buddy and I have been watching kaiju movies over video chat and warming up beforehand with some short-form content with random Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, and Ultraman episodes. Anyone have any recommendations for some particularly nutso kaiju or kaiju-adjacent content that would be great appetite-whetters? Doesn't have to be straight narrative or TV if you've got any outside the box ideas.

Super Inframan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I always appreciate how much the Showa Gamera monsters look like kids’ refrigerator drawings come to life. Their mouths are just lunch-bag puppets, it’s amazing.