Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I hope not, it would just end up being Kong/Godzilla vs. an amorphous black blob which I know is something movie studios love to do for some reason but it's never exciting.

If they were fighting in, say, the sunny blue-and-greens of the tropical Pacific instead of an apocalyptic urban hellscape, Hedorah would be a great contrasting element and easy to identify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Don’t change Hedorah at all except for making it more slimy and make its movement better.

:yeah:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

Also Godzilla's been WAY fatter in other movies.

GMK he straight up had a beer belly

Shin Godzilla has thunder thighs

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

I hope rodan puts up a good fight instead of going down in 10 seconds like the robots in Pacific rim.

Justice for Cherno Alpha

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There's dope posters at that Monarch twitter:

Inject this movie directly into my eyeballs.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

That might be Mothra. She has those kind of hook arms too

I thought so too at first, but on second glance its front legs are curled at the tip just like a MUTO's.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

K. Waste posted:

The MUTOs don't have feathered antennae and two pairs of wings.

The parasitic subspecies discovered in modern times didn't, sure.

Mothra is the Ur-MUTO.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tekne posted:

Like a moth to a flame.
https://vimeo.com/328547549

Upload all of this directly into my brain.

poo poo, I think I held my breath for that entire Ghidorah sequence.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

God my large hydra friend looks so goddamn evil I love him.

I like the part in the IMAX clip just before the trailer proper when King G is putting on a full startle display, like a threatened mantis or cobra. So freaking hype.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tekne posted:

Legendary Goji may be a little thick, but he could level a mountain with that physique.

Our boy G is a powerlifter, not a bodybuilder.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Failson posted:

Give us a Megalon spin-off you cowards!

Where's my Legendary-style Gamera for the 21st century

Who will be guardian of the universe and friend to all children now??

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

.... and when people ask to see the tat you could slowly roll up your sleeve and make the "WOM WOM WOM WOM WOM" power-up noise as Big G is revealed

Do they make blacklight tattoo ink?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wicked, the blacklight glow would be perfect for the atomic breath, and maybe the spines too if they can overlay it on normal ink.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I just wanna see a shot like the one from Ragnarok when Hulk is leaping at Surtur but it's Godzilla charging his atomic breath

Airbrushed on the side of my VW microbus

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 14, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

alexa, show me the ironic racist rape snuff films

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Got my tickets booked at the local Ultrascreen DLX, which is unfortunately the biggest one available (true IMAX is prohibitively distant, though someday I'd love to take a road trip). Opening-week matinees are AWESOME.

Someone at my theater's bar is a serious artist with the chalkboard and regularly draws amazing things for the specials, hopefully they'll do something Godzilla-themed this time and I can snapshot it for the thread. Their Shazam and Avengers boards were muy impressive.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 23, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alrighty, untagged spoilers are creeping in, I'm out until Tuesday. Can't wait!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It would just be this

No matter how many times this gets posted I never get tired of it.

Also, username/post :discourse:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I wonder if Monarch tried to teach Kong sign-language.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm glad there's a Godzilla fighting game being made but I can't believe a Pacific Rim game didn't come out first.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

Hello friends. I have just watched the new movie Godzilla: King of the Monsters. On what page of this thread does the discussion start?

Around page 170 is when the earliest trip reports and direct movie discussion starts coming up.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

All the other kaiju, in their natural states, resemble existing creatures and create natural phenomena in their wake. Sometimes they're destructive to humans like Godzilla's landfall at Hawaii creating a tsunami or Rodan's awakening triggering a volcanic eruption, but they're still fundamentally representative of the natural order of life and planet. And like even the natural order of extreme weather and geologic events, they only harm people when people happen to be in their way.

But everything about Ghidorah is unnatural, a pointedly destructive force even without considering its alien origins. It resembles no living or extinct creature; it was trapped in the Antarctic ice instead of lying in a state of hibernation or torpor in a home environment; its mere existence creates storms of impossible power -- Monarch reported a category six hurricane surrounding Ghidorah as it headed for the East Coast. It appeared to draw power from the volcano to broadcast its alpha signal worldwide, absorbed electricity from a power main and drained energy from Godzilla by biting him, making it some sort of energy vampire.

If the other kaiju are avatars of nature writ large, and our interactions with them lessons about learning to live in harmony with nature lest we tempt fate in overstepping our bounds, then Ghidorah is an avatar of the overstepped boundary itself. It is a "living extinction event", the lifeless future of and by a humanity that refuses to change.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

I was talking about the beginning of Skull Island when Kong appears to a young John C. Reilly.

He had a period of lagged growth after the skullcrawlers killed his parents and bred out of control, but then in '73 he killed a bunch and their alpha and got back down to business.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

Yeah it should. That's SMG's gimmick when he's in moods like this.

He purposely makes things obtuse and misremembers and misinterprets things and argues 100% in bad faith

There's no reasoning and no debating him because he's not coming from a point where you can debate him. He is making his exaggerated hyperbolic view of the film known and waiting for people to call him on it so he can go deeper into his garbled nonsense well of bullshit and fuckery

It's great when you don't like the movie he's complaining about, not so much when it gets turned around on you.

Though if you're arguing about why a movie isn't good and then he barges in with his wall of nonsense, that also gets irritating because it makes it look like EVERYONE saying negative things and critiquing the film is saying nonsense.

I'm still trying to figure out why people just don't recognize this as trolling. Especially now that he's got a drat rap sheet about it.

BiggerBoat posted:

The disastrous elements we're shown rarely amount to more than minor inconveniences for anyone.

I loved this film for its highs but it really annoyed me when it took Hollywood Action Script shortcuts like this. I mean, we all saw what happened during Katrina and this film's own flashback to San Francisco, are you telling me Boston was evacuated in a calm and orderly fashion to complete emptiness by the time Ghidorah got there?

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 16, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

wdarkk posted:

That's how it worked in the 2014 movie.

Does this make the MUTOs your... adoptive parents? Mom and stepdad?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Weren't the mutos woken up by seismic activity and then they burrowed towards the nearest source of radiation?

The monsters emitting radiation was never seemed the reason the world was healing. San Francisco didn't become an overgrown jungle because of excess radiation. The reason those places recovered had everything to do with mankind's absence, not nuclear fallout. The eco terrorists plan wasn't to let radioactive monsters irradiate human settlements, it was to let monsters tear poo poo up and keep humans away from places so that nature could recover. Radiation has never been a cure. Even when psycho mom says that Chernobyl is an example of a recovering human area, that doesn't mean that the power plant poisoning the area somehow made it healthy. The Iron Forest is dead for a reason and even though animal life is flourishing around pripyat, it isn't healthy because of radiation. The animals around pripyat have numerous birth defects and shorter life expectancies.

Your argument against the explicit text of the film is "real life doesn't work like that"?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Someone needs to do some of those interpretation grids for kaiju. One of the radical axes is that Superman is a Kaiju.

I dunno if Superman is a kaiju but Man of Steel is definitely a kaiju film.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course lefty is the fat one. They really are the Three Stooges.

Does that mean when it regenerated, it became Shemp?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Soooooo there's gonna be a Pacific Rim anime series. I'm cautious since Uprising was "meh"

Yeah, the premise is kinda :rolleyes: but if it's set before the first movie at least we won't have to put up with any Uprising bullshit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Yeah he was really loving good, and his theme music is really loving cool, especially when the bongos start playing and the choir hypemen chant his name.

Say what you will about KOTM, but the soundtrack is amazing

The horn work on his track is absolutely wild.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A GvK movie with Mecha Godzilla but no Mechani-Kong? Bullshit of the highest order, I say.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He is all of us

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

SMG's theory

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Invasion of Afro Monster

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Yea this immediately jumped out at me in the theater and took me right out of the movie for a few minutes. First I'm thinking "hmmm that's odd that Godzilla just swam right up on them like that" , but then two seconds later he and Ghidorah are just standing on the ice fighting and it makes zero sense how they could be doing that if the water is deep enough for Godzilla to have snuck up on them from below.

Climate change has produced exactly the kind of glacier/ice shelf topography to make Godzilla's approach plausible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzUsu23O5EE

The things people do with modeling programs never ceases to amaze me

An awesome as hell video in the recommendations from that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RXf-KMY4w

If it doesn't seem that impressive, put on your headphones with bass boost and turn it up until you can barely handle the volume of the narrator.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aren't there three versions of Godzilla in the PS4 one? Although maybe only two of them are playable.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Why didn't they just lure Ghidorah in with a big pile of fish?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Didn’t they say a bunch of stuff like this in Shin Godzilla but then Godzilla just miraculously evolved past it

Pretty sure they lampshaded it in Godzilla 2014 too, some throwaway line from a Monarch scientist about how kaiju shouldn't be possible but now they have to redefine what's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hope this kicks off a Legendary GameraVerse