Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If I enjoyed Final Wars, what are the other Godzilla movies I should watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The actual writing in Godzilla vs. Kong is just semi-coherent rote stuff to pace out timing between the money scenes. Which has been the case for all of the new godzilla movies. The only movie that had an idea of what to write the movie around was Skull Island, where most of the cast has something to do, there is a strong gimmick to the whole thing, and there is even something resembling a plot. In these ones it's just generally assumed you want to see your favorite B-list actors do a little bit of light exposition.

This one in particular feels like they edited a lot of stuff out to keep the pacing up and remove side plot that probably wasn't even serviceable. Lance Reddick shows up for three seconds, Kyle Chandler is totally unnecessary here, and if all this cut stuff was as good as what they left in I absolutely don't care. However, the first two Godzilla movies at least gave a proper sense of scale to Godzilla and built him up properly as an impossibly enormous deity. In this one he just kind of shows up, does his big wrestling moves for the fans, and they do a finish that puts both guys over. Basic stuff. I do appreciate that this isn't the latest overstuffed 2h45m movie.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Roth posted:

Watched it and enjoyed it. Outside of the conspiracy theorist character, none of the characters annoyed me, and it's pretty obvious that Kong is the actual protagonist we're following. I have no idea what people are so incredibly angry about with this movie.

It's neither as obnoxious as a Michael Bay/Roland Emmerich film, nor as tedious with human characters most people don't care about as the first two Godzilla movies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

GvK is so gloriously stupid. "How do we even the odds between Godzilla and Kong? Give Kong an axe. No, a laser axe." Also, their world looks like our world but there are spaceships and space stations that must have cost a trillion dollars, but not in space.

When they mentioned that they lost "the fleet" in this movie I was like... In this universe, where there is a constant threat of kaiju attack, there would never not be some kind of fleet. When you got out of high school, you wouldn't go to college, it would be a question of which fleet you would join, even if you weren't actually military. If Godzilla destroyed 17 ships, they would poo poo out 17 ships from Pittsburgh steel by the end of the next day.

Or you know, maybe that's all wrong, but some other better movie would be asking these types of questions. Pacific Rim kinda does, where the plot is that the entire world is on a war footing and humans are still on the verge of extinction.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the answer is that even with a draft, they can't crew enough ships to run interference against Godzilla. If Godzilla attacks, their plan is to shoot Him with harmless weapons until, in His wisdom, He answers their prayers for death. Did the Navy have some huge initiative to recruit people with suicidal ideation? I'd like to see those commercials.

Yeah this is a movie that is satisfied with being big and dumb and seems confident that everyone gets that and has stopped asking questions. Once a movie decides that the hollow earth is not only there, but an alien planet with a sun, you're not even thinking about why jets are still trying to dogfight with Godzilla. Every character and plot point is perfunctory.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also no offense to Kong (who I greatly enjoyed in the movie) but he's not 1/10th the Category Threat that Monsterverse Godzilla is. Kong gets put into a building and it hurts him pretty bad, dislocating one of his joints and putting him at a huge disadvantage. Godzilla gets mashed through like 5 skyscrapers and it just pisses him off; 10 more and he's like "yeah ok this is starting to bug me a little", it literally takes a solid 5 minutes of Robozilla mercilessly beating his rear end before he's opened up (and even then he springs right back into the fight after a short breather). We haven't even gotten into Godzilla's new Disintegration Ray Special Move; imagine Monarch tried to hold Godzilla like they did Kong. He'd be out of there in around 12 seconds.

I don't think anyone even vaguely familiar with Godzilla bought Kong as an actual threat to him, which is why they wrote in that Kong gets a sweet purp

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Yah Vaporwave is more 90s aesthetics and kinda slowed down.

Here’s the most famous song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQkPcPqTq4M

The a e s t h e t i c is the most important part. Late 80s/90s advertisements, ancient statues, pinks, lovely mall music.

...I love it.

Hell yeah groovin' to mallwave

quote:

Synth/retro is pure 80s and more faster paced for the most part. Everything arcade games promised and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_4fQDZPutA

Basically the best Synthwave is the chill tracks to play driving around in your car in the city at night. I would basically recommend The Midnight to anyone, not just people who are really into 80's poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A movie should be interesting all the way through. For the most part the new Godzilla movies are an absolutely inessential snore when it comes to human characters, and more concerning yet is that this is a feature and not a bug. The strategy is clearly to hire a bunch of working actors you've seen in better stuff for paycheck roles. This is cynical enough that they used Bryan Cranston as a marketing bait and switch.

It doesn't have to be Shin Godzilla or anything serious, you're allowed to be Final Wars-level of just some parallel genre movie earnestly happening next to the kaiju movie. Doing a no-effort Michael Bay plot ripoff is not it, although these movies don't have racist baby godzillas pissing on people and the meat and potatoes action sequences are satisfying, so baby steps I guess.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cranston is very good in it despite his weird hair, and is one of the only human characters in the entire trilogy with something to do. His son however could have been played by a wooden plank, and putting the story into the hands of another stoic generic white dude, with magical special forces plot background, while his girlfriend cries a lot is a very pre-metoo vibe. As far as looking worse in hindsight it's no Jurassic World, but still.

What generally saves the film is Cranston and the Godzilla stuff being done very well. The film really gets what you can do with Godzilla on a $200-million budget and sets the tone for the other movies to iterate on that. Other than that, Cranston dies and it immediately becomes clear that they didn't have an interesting idea after that page in the script.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's the thing, if you kept Cranston alive- never mind all the story themes or whatever- just, what would he do? Run around and look at the big monster like everyone else. The entire point is that it's humans running around in the footsteps of gods.

Personally I would have him halo drop out of a plane to deactivate a nuclear bomb that he doesn't actually know how to deactivate (because he's a nuclear engineer, and what's more nuclear than a nuke I ask you?).

Or you could just do a story where the humans remain interesting, kaiju movies do it all the time even when they keep it knee-deep in schlock.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

I've always been pretty cool on Kyle Chandler, even going back to Friday Night Lights I've thought he's pretty bland and has a weird way of over-emoting and really only alternates between "mumbling / whistling," "speaking normally" and "YELLING BECAUSE OH poo poo THE WORLD IS GOING TO END LET'S MAKE SOME poo poo HAPPEN" (he's kind of like ... I don't know, a poor man's Bruce Boxleitner, which is funny in and of itself because Boxleitner himself is a poor man's Michael Douglas), but everyone else was strangely soporific, too (it didn't help that Bradley Whitford's character was utterly inanely written, but that's another story). Charles Dance, Vera Farmiga, Sally Hawkins, the solidly reliable Millie Bobby Brown, Ken Watanabe, even David Strathairn--who is a guy so stupidly charismatic that I will watch him read the obituaries from a local newspaper--are all acting like they got IV doses of Xanax or clonidine about ten minutes before Dougherty called "action," and I just really cannot make heads or tails of their performances.

When I was rewatching KOTM the other night I thought Chandler would be a good candidate for a Hemingway biopic based on the three minutes when they were trying to make him look like a rugged wilderness dude. Chandler has been in so many flat handsome everyman roles that for a long time I thought he was the male lead in Dark Skies (the 90's TV series).

KOTM definitely has a fuckton of nonsense, but after all that it's still only 130m which qualifies as "light on your feet" for blockbuster movies these days. I didn't really have trouble following anything as much as I had trouble caring about the human characters. There's also this dumb meta thing going on at times in these movies. Sally Hawkins is killed at one point to put over Ghidorah, and it's clear that the only reason we have to care is that she was the lead in Shape of Water.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 11, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

For sure, but The Blob isn't far behind. I also have a real soft spot for The Deadly Mantis and The Black Scorpion.

I found the original Blob insanely boring but it has been a long time since I've watched it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's pretty good even though found footage as a subgenre is beyond tired. You get a solid idea of what little sense such a thing would make to people on the ground level. The romance subplot is maudlin, but at 85 minutes it doesn't really waste time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Both of the Cloverfield "sequels" became Cloverfield movies midway through production and you can really, really tell. Outside of Paramount finding a way to market low-budget movies, they literally have nothing to do with each other.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I found the original Blob insanely boring but it has been a long time since I've watched it.

Trip report: We watched the Blob last night and it's still insanely boring, probably one of the most overrated horror films of all time. It is bad in every way that Blob '88 is amazing. Steve McQueen's acting is downright strange, which would be interesting if 97% of the movie weren't people talking about things other than the plot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hollow earth stuff vastly predates Nazi morons trying to appropriate it. Anyway, it should be pretty obvious they are not doing that version of hollow earth since when Kong went underground he was not greeted by a lost civilization of hyper-advanced Nazis.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/01/02/close-encounters-racist-kind

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pretty much the Roger Corman school of production. If you don't really spend money on production and market wisely, your films will always make money. It absolutely does not matter that the finished film is bad. Make sure that everyone will know it is bad as soon as they look at the title. That's the strategy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

Roger Corman usually gave money to people who, while not well known or popular, wanted to make movies. His movies had flaws but most of them are at least enjoyable to watch, bc at least a few people involved were passionate about it. Asylum has no one who cares working on thier films

Roger has some good movies under his belt and a lot of big deals got their breaks working with him, but he also is the biggest name in the "so bad it's not even good" genre. Plenty of Syfy Originals in there, and there was nothing new about churning out movies on an assembly line even when he got his start.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

I still love Final Wars but the older I get the less and less I like specifically it's version of Godzilla, with how quickly and effortlessly it chumps most of the other monsters in the movie being a huge part of that as it doesn't really elevate Godzilla as a monster it just makes everyone else look worse

I think in comparison to American Godzilla movies, and most Godzilla movies that don't really resonate with me, it has reasons to watch the movie besides waiting for Godzilla to do something, since if you're not into that there's also this dumb Japanese Matrix ripoff with Don Frye. It's certainly nothing remarkable but it's one of my favorite dumb movies.

I also like Shin Godzilla, because it's basically a Godzilla procedural.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Splint Chesthair posted:

The Netflix anime movies are poo poo because they're boring, not because they're full of cheesy SFX or any of the other reasons people hate on the Godzilla series. (Disclaimer: I'm basing this solely on having watched the first one and a little of the second one.)

I feel like I don't see eye-to-eye with a lot of godzilla fans and am glad that I'm not the only one who thought Singular Point was insanely boring.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dr Finestone from CMoNH shows off her giant radioactive monkey

https://twitter.com/goCMNH/status/1568232985647874051

Everybody's got something to hide.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

King Louie's Revenge

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1704203157037789210?t=31ApdzIFQweR4eNEUBBa8Q&s=19

Was the first Troll any good? I haven't seen it, only saw Troll Hunter from about 10 years back.

It's OK, I think Troll Hunter (2010) is better.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Minus One was the best godzilla movie I've seen by a wide margin, and blows the stupid American movies out of the water. Do see it in imax.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

still very confused as to why the nearest imax is in the 9th biggest city in my state, 45 minutes away, instead of the third biggest, 20 minutes away. but they only ran imax on Thursday anyway. do wish, though

also, while I'm with you on the American ones being stupid--a wide margin? drat. i loved it a lot, but i definitely can't put it on the level of the original

OK well MAYBE the movie that invented the CONCEPT of GODZILLA is better

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Goddamn I think I liked this more than Shin.

I guess it depends on whether you dig Shin's pseudodocumentary style, but more godzilla movies should deal with Japanese post war trauma. It's not exactly Black Rain tier but it's a topic American audiences should see more of.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GateOfD posted:

Wish there was a 4DX near me. I love that gimmicky poo poo. Spray my face with some water mist

I had thought about this, but we wanted to relax and not smell weird poo poo or be rocked back and forth

Spacebump posted:

Outside of OG Godzilla, Shin, and -1, what are the other good Japanese Godzilla movies?

I have a weakness for Final Wars.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Non Compos Mentis posted:

so kong and shimo execute skar kings generals when they get back to the giant monkey lava mine right?

Everyone is allowed a chance to surrender to the new regime. If you resist, your body will be used to savagely beat other dissidents. It's written in the bylaws next to the other suspiciously verbose prophecies.

After this I'm waiting for a filmmaker to just give up on human characters, I can't imagine how dead inside it would make an actor to pick up a (large) paycheck in order to spout exposition at a green screen. I'm also unclear why there needs to be a brutally unfunny nerd character in like everything since Transformers '07. Instead of this, just make Conan '82 but with King Kong.

I didn't expect to leave this giving a poo poo about any ape characters but Curious Gollum is great and the last third of the movie delivers on the silly romp factor. King Louis is not really a convincing villain compared even to the jobber kaijus in this movie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, Minus One just came out last year. Human characters with interesting roles in Kaiju films aren't an impossible dream. It's a scientific fact.

Well yeah Minus One is basically infinitely better than this, that should go without saying