Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Spatulater bro! posted:

EDIT: Nope, they don't. :(

Yeah, and it seems like the US DVDs are also oop making some of them like $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

dentist toy box posted:

You need to watch the gamera trilogy from the 90s though anyways.

Do this now. You can find the trilogy super cheap on blu-ray and it's a ton of fun.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I didn't really care for Godzilla Raids Again.

I've liked all of the Heisei era so far but I'm currently stuck on vs. Spacegodzilla. I've fallen asleep to it four times now and it's really hurting my pace for the October movie challenge.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I liked Hesei Mothra and Mechagodzilla more than GvKG.

Biollante has been the best so far tho, I will agree with that.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

This one with the Criterion cover should be the original version.

https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Takashi-Shimura/dp/B00ADHR99A/

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

drat I really had a blast watching KotM!

I haven't seen an IMAX film in a really, really long time but I'm going to make an effort to see this on the ultra-big screen.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

To me it feels like Heisei era Godzilla film made in the style of an American action blockbuster. The more I think about it the more I think I really loved it, and I can't wait to see it again.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Mantis42 posted:

There's an internet rumor that Arcs System Work is going to reveal a Godzilla fighting game at E3 and I really, really hope its true.

This would be absolutely amazing, I think they would do a wonderful job. Where did you hear this btw?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Annath posted:

KOTM made me want to go re-watch some of the old flicks again.

Which ones are best dubbed and which are best subbed?

Not "which are good vs bad movies", just what's the best way to experience the dialog for each?

In my opinion I would try to find subbed versions wherever possible. I think a lot of the time when people recommend the dubs they are doing so because they either grew up with that version or like to have Godzilla films on in the background.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Isn't Daimajin basically an unstoppable force in those films?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

well the only argument for the concept we've actually seen pretty much backs up CelticPredator

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weird question, but has anyone ever met someone (outside of literal children) who didn't know what Godzilla was?

A couple years ago, when I worked at an office full of court reporters, one of them, a woman in her 70s, asked me what my Godzilla figures (dolls?) were that I had around my desk. It confused the hell out of me. She had zero clue. I'd get it if it was something more obscure, but Godzilla's got a gigantic imprint on public pop-culture consciousness.

I've had multiple people ask me if I really like dinosaurs because of the Godzilla figures on my desk.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Detective No. 27 posted:

Were they confused when you told them it was Godzilla?

They asked me if Godzilla was an anime so I just nodded and smiled so we could both move on with our lives.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Shiftypenguin posted:

FYI these preorders are now live. $100 per set. Wasn't the full set only $150 when it came out?

It went as low as $125 according to camelcamelcamel. Either way, $100 per set is too steep for me.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Pre-order from where and how much? One of these needs to be with my kaiju figures.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

That Monsterarts JJ looks incredible. When they say online exclusive does that mean godzillastore exclusive or will I still be able to get it from the usual toy places, like BBTS?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Are the alternate forms for the SH Monsterarts Hedorah new info?

https://twitter.com/TAS_SHMA/status/1461556119134998529

drat it's looking good. This time last year I was a "NECA and vinyls are enough" guy and now I have two monsterarts preordered with a third lined up whenever it becomes available.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The opening to Shin Ultraman is up for 48hrs and I cant decide if I want to watch it or not. Feel like I'm just going to be bummed I can't watch the rest of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISjYRdXuNc

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

There are some theater screenings of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla on Nov. 3 (Godzilla day) through fathom events: https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Godzilla-Against-Mechagodzilla

I really love the Kiryu saga and am really excited to see this in theaters. Anyone else going to a screening?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Seeing Gojira on the big screen would be definitely be a great experience.

HannibalBarca posted:

I'm a bit skittish given how hit or miss Fathom can be

Oh no, I know nothing about them, do they have a shaky track record?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The screening I was at definitely had some sort of intermittent framerate issue but the crowd was still pretty into the movie. Sara was definitely a crowd favorite.

It's been a bit since I watched the bluray but the subtitles they used for the screening seemed different. Anyone else notice that?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Dangerous Person posted:

All I want is a new Godzilla fighting game

Godzilla has been added to GigaBash. Ultraman is coming soon. I tried it out and it seems well made but I was absolutely horrible at it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1546400/GigaBash/

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Hollismason posted:

Hey does anyone else know of where one could purchase the flight jacket letterman jackets for godzilla millennium the one where it has the godzilla defense force on the back. Either that or a hat.

Not sure if these are exactly what you're looking for but I got these hats from Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/940086394/godzilla-mechagodzilla-ungcc-jxsdf
https://www.etsy.com/listing/940088812/jxsdf-ungcc-mechagodzilla-shiryu

They're good quality, wore them both an absolute ton and they're still in great condition. If you can find the jacket please post it I have been wanting one for awhile. I'm guessing it would be quite expensive.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Most of that information is not super important, I think you can follow everything without knowing all the job titles or which board room the meeting is taking place in. Also, Shin Godzilla is a political comedy so if you didn't find the board room stuff entertaining it might just not be your cup of tea.

edit: If this is your first film with this type of subtitles then I would recommend paying attention to the ones at the bottom of the screen. The stuff at the top of the screen is usually supplemental information (location, titles, etc).

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 7, 2023

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

That is Zumbolar and it is very cool.

Speaking of rubber suits, is there a better thread to talk about tokusatsu stuff like Kamen Rider, Super Sentai and Ultraman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

My search skills are weak I guess. Thank you!