Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Is there a suggested viewing list for these? I've seen the original and a smattering of others over the years, plus the US ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see Gigan's hosed-up rear end return in a future movie if only because he is SO WEIRD. He was part of some truly awful movies but at least Final Wars acknowledged how terrifying he was and stuck him in as the midboss of the finale.

He had a decent showing in the old NES game as a higher level boss but that's even more forever-ago.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That's what all female Godzillas look like :smug:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

So four dainty vestigial legs hang down? That's pretty creepy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Peanut President posted:

The yellow lightning is kind of a big hint.

Slightly disappointed at no bizarre screeching but I'll take it!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Zartosht posted:

I'm still disappointed that Megaguirus wasn't a mega Anguirus.

Is it not? That's what I've pictured anytime it's mentioned :(

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Special release that dubs those back in

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

stratofarius posted:

Your standard 'humans pollute/wage wars/kill the environment hence they must be punished' motivation. I honestly wish the Mom was the eco-terrorist so that way you can spare Charles Dance from doing absolutely nothing the entire movie.

She was. That's the point. From suddenly reviving the macguffin device project which is taken as a surprise maneuver and first hint the protagonists have that something is wrong, to orchestrating the extraction of Ghidora and clearly being the one to intentionally and without duress awaken him (several characters in dialog confirm that plot point-- it was definitely her and definitely on purpose), to the literal televised speech she gives saying "I, scientist lady, am an ecoterrorist."

Being a scientist working to take down the system from the inside, she doesn't have mercenaries or heavy equipment. But she gets somebody on board who does, which is the point of Charles Dance.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

That's a big bummer because that scene is what I was hoping the post credits scene was going to be after Mothra did her shonen anime heroic sacrifice into her remains powering up the protagonist move

Yeah plus it's only fair. The newspaper (website, I guess) at the end implied it enough-- but I think very few people will catch on about the two scientists being two different scientists without a scene like that so it would've been double nice.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Serizawa had a pocket watch that was stopped. Was thst a greater reference to this? I kept thinking that artifact the recovered after the Hiroshima bombing that was a pocket watch that stopped when the A bomb detonated.

It was his dad's and was a stopped Hiroshima watch indeed

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

OK. Just seemed like an odd thing to leave laying around where any old 15 year old kid could make off with it.

I don't think most 15 year olds are in the secret bunker marked as a radiation hazard and full of guys with guns. Probably not high on their list of worries that day, really.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It's ironic that "stabilized" Godzilla appears to be literally burning with anger.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

My favorite part was Ghidorah falling over

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Tekne posted:

Without Mothra I think he would've gone off like a Warhammer WMD, obliterating everything in the area and beyond except maybe Ghidorah.

Yeah they specifically say that's going to happen, then something profound happens to cancel the apocalypse instead.

I don't know how people missed that plot thread. It's actually a pretty cool reference to his dual roles in past films. Everybody is scared of Godzilla (who is originally in movies a horror specter of nuclear destruction) literally going up in a mushroom cloud... and instead they're proven wrong, benevolent symbiosis with Mothra happens, and he cements himself as the protector figure instead.

A running thread is "the military analysts are wrong." That goes for antagonists and protagonists both.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 6, 2019

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Burkion posted:

Ghidorah actually has agency and character of his own, and for ONCE isn't under control by alien overlords.

Even better, Ghidorah is under the control of three alien overlords, even if one is goofy and licks snow.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Would Ghidorah rather fight one Godzilla-sized Kong, or 100 Kong-sized Godzillas?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Precisely. The declaration that he’s “an invasive species” is seemingly arbitrary.

Like, the MUTOs aren’t? How are those things “part of The Natural Order” if Ghidorah (with his snake necks and distinctive mammalian features) isn’t?

He's a unique space alien

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Even if space aliens were proven to exist, they wouldn’t be ‘unnatural.’ And every monster character in the film is ‘unique’ (one of the most bizarre retcons is that, instead of having an entire underground ecosystem as implied in the previous films, here there are only like two dozen monsters total, worldwide).

Ghidorah is a space alien, is portrayed as tying into an early civilization legend about a space alien, and is shown to be unaffected by the oxygen destroyer. That makes him "unnatural" and outside the film's understanding of the natural order of the planet Earth (a central theme of the current series).

This contrasts with things like the "natural" parasitism vs predation exhibited by, say, the MUTOs and big G's species. I'm not sure if you missed the prior film or forgot, but there are multiples. MUTOs in particular show very distinct sexual dimorphism; another female MUTO shows up at the end of this new one, for example.

I'm not sure if you missed the related scenes or forgot, but the new film also discussed the whole "hollow Earth" thing and implies there are other monsters that just aren't awake or dug up.

You might've missed or forgotten, but Mothra is also shown to have another egg ready to hatch; if not for Rodan (who is also still without a mate in the current series) there could've been a pair of Mothras running around.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This feels a little like writing a book report on the Cliff's Notes, though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

SirDrone posted:

iirc didn't one of the heads literally start sliding and slithering over the ashes of the recently zapped marines.

Slithering and licking, even. It was actually a great moment of characterization and even humor, as the other head had to get his attention. It's your first real introduction to Lefty, Space Satan's younger-brother personality.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Burkion posted:

We still haven't seen the actual founders of MONARCH yet

That one lady's family might have been tied in from the very start

She says she's, what, fourth generation Monarch? Probably has been.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I thought for sure that answer was a joke

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

At the very least, some of the Kaiju are traveling through special tunnels that were theorized to exist and seemingly proven out. And the Arctic base was already a deep tunneled out thing that was then intentionally blasted further to unleash Larry, Curly, and Moe.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The tunnels are indeed clumsy and raise questions but it is supposed to help link together some older stuff and the recent Kong movie (which also features the tunnels to try to link in other monsters appearing there).

They're clearly nowhere near as cool as Godzilla being the key feature in a naval task force.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Even if you think the new movie wasn't Good Cinema it has popularized an excellent characterization of King Ghidorah so it's ultimately a positive thing for the series

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

He was a skeleton during the underwater city scene

This was officially confirmed also

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Yetee stuff is affordable and quality so you could definitely do worse at any store in the mall. Thanks for the tip on this design.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

And why did the local news reporter deliver the line "This is the greatest disaster in the history of the world" with the exact same cadence a local news person would say "Officials agree, the fireman should be lauded for removing the cat from the tree." And furthermore.......

Arguably that's how they're supposed to do it

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

And yesterday the Ghidorah one arrived for me

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The best Godzilla game was the old NES one and it had wicked music covers and references to other movies

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Gigan is a plainly self aware tryhard space rear end in a top hat. He's not a traditional monster or freak of nature. That would make him extra fun for an appearance in the modern naturalistic movies, but alas.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I was thinking too that Godzilla and Kong will unite. Funny when I asked my young son who would win, he said “Godzilla and King Kong.” Honestly, I think he might just be right. I mean both Kong and Godzilla have been faces and it would be weird to do the heel turn on Godzilla, at least after the first two movies.

Why stop there? The dream team is obviously Godzilla, King Kong, and Mecha Kevin.

Rodan is a punk and joins the bad guys.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Classical Kaiju must imperil a train of some sort at some point. Godzilla 14 got this correct for its monsters.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Millie Bobby Brown just follows someone else doing things

Sometimes she's driving an old van while vaporwave music plays because Stranger Things was successful.

vvvv that's the one

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 7, 2021

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There is zero explanation of what “Monster Zero” is in this movie, or why it’s important.

Monster Zero Exposition

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Despite all the crazy circumstances everybody was acting in a surprisingly familiar and reasonable manner for the most part. Quite refreshing. That was drat good stuff and I was pretty hooked as far as wanting to see what happened next and the technobabble was certainly consistent enough.

The moth couldn't agree on rules now, maybe later.

Maybe I was slow on the uptake but I was wondering how this dude in the 60s built the magic computers and the revelation was very satisfying to realize, then the ending turned it up all the way

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ll put down my non scrambled thoughts once I have a little more time to process it.

Very fitting :v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Still isn't exactly cool but the new concept is an appealing character and the evolving design (literal evolution, going from lanky ape-like up through tool use and then its final appearance plus HEY IT'S EVOLUTIONARY ALGORITHMS while learning to move on its own) was downright clever.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The second season of Pacific Rim: The Black dropped today. Seemed to come out of nowhere but there it is.

With how Netflix is imploding, last night I was thinking about how I'd never get to see it. So this is really convenient timing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Does this make "normal" Gigan the goober on the lower right?