Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Relevant cross-forum information:

Godzilla-themed Humble Comics Bundle, featuring 171 dollars worth of Godzilla comics available for 15 USD

Includes James Stokoe's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

MrMojok posted:

Are these comics like, good? I’m not being snarky, I’ve never seen any of them.

Maybe

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I know these movies aren't about the plot, but it wouldn't kill them to have a good plot.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

That was a tedious, poorly edited, visually disorienting mess. Kong's size seemed to change constantly throughout the film depending on what he had to interact with, as well. I know complaining about the plot of a movie like this is missing the point but everything anyone ever said was some of the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard. I cannot recommend against this movie enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

The one thing about kaiju films is that bad reviews basically read the same no matter the decade. Well, maybe not the 'disorienting' part but the rest could have been written in the 60s.

But I love those old kaiju films. They're not edited like someone tried to condense an entire season's worth of a show into a single film, for one thing. And they're actually really good with the fake perspective tricks, even if it's really, really obvious when you're looking at a miniature most of the time. Also, Godzilla 1954, for example is 98 minutes long. That is not bloated at all. It's a film that takes its time building things up and paying them off, but doesn't have a single wasted scene, either. The entire hollow earth/titan lore is a huge yawn-fest in this movie (and KOTM), and leads to a ton of exposition the audience and film absolutely don't need.

I understand the urge to want to dismiss criticism of genre films as coming from outsiders who just don't get it, but I don't dislike this turd because it's a Godzilla movie, I dislike it because I think it's a bad Godzilla movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

I didn't mean your opinion was invalid or whatever, just that people have been complaining about the ape changing sizes for a long time.

Sorry, I tend to assume a combative approach to discussing film opinions that is not always warranted.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now that Iíve had a day to ruminate on it I think I hated this movie, but the original King Kong vs Godzilla is probably in my Top 3 for the Showa era.

It ends pretty lamely and abruptly but it's a fun enough ride to get to the two actually fighting, even though giving Kong lightning powers was about as weird a call as the plot device axe.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Kong should have a dick.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

well why not posted:

I donít think the MBB plot was as useless as people are saying. It builds some suspense and interest into whatís being built. I donít think people really consider how flat one of these movies would be with the human characters excised. Itíd feel even lower stakes.

The thing is that her whole storyline is completely pointless. We could've just found out about the bad guys' existence and plans from their connection to Monarch and their sudden betrayal in the hollow earth. Or they could've just cut to the bad guys being bad, because it's obvious they're bad guys from scene 1. Following Mobbie around while she does bad 90s comedy about conspiracy theories added absolutely nothing to the film.

Also if you have even a passing familiarity with Godzilla as a franchise you knew exactly what the weird power core in the building's ruins was so we didn't need her or any of the other characters to yammer on about how Godzillas only do mating displays when their titan pheromones are expressed or whatever the gently caress. We get it, Godzilla has a motivation for attacking the building, because there's a big evil looking glowing orb in the building.

It's a fine thing to have human characters in your Kaiju films who are connected to what's happening. But we already had them, they're the Monarch team following Kong around. There was no need for the scooby doo investigation team b-plot.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

People who don't like bad movies are just virtue signaling.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Burkion posted:

Usually the smart guy is appreciably smarter than the big powerful guy they're fighting.

The sad truth is, Godzilla is just as smart as Kong, maybe smarter.

Kong's only advantage is that he has more agility, which means all he can do is delay the inevitable.

Kong may not be much cleverer than Godzilla but it's clear he's at least portrayed as more open minded and adaptable. Godzilla's got a one track mind, which is why he was perfectly willing to go ham on Kong again at the end of the movie if he hadn't dropped the axe. That's like the one thing in the movie that made perfect sense to me. Godzilla lives to fight, even the nicest versions of him, while Kong really just wants to Be Monky.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

What GvK had for me over KotMóbesides action you could actually followówas it didnít waste time trying to justify why it was doing what it was doing. The reasons were often dumb but at least they made sense as a logical sequence of events, and trusted the audience to follow them. KotM is all breathless characters overcomplicating inherently silly stuff interspersed with quips that didnít land, and ugh

There was some of that in this one still and it was horribly painful. Just people yammering on and on about Titan biology and history and why monky is fighting lizard. You don't have to create a weird complicated set of rules and bad lore to explain why monsters run around loving poo poo up.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Speaking of licensing...

https://twitter.com/nxonnetflix/status/1381653387444252673

I really can't imagine the Legendary approach to Kaiju working for Gundam, but maybe I'm wrong. Brian K. Vaughan wrote the script and he's a big Gundam nerd. Probably won't put jokes about fluoridated water in his movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I'm ok with just catching a few glimpses of Cloverfield, what pissed me off at the time is that the entire marketing campaign was about the mystery of Cloverfield and what it is and what it has to do with a mysterious japanese soft drink brand and the movie doesn't offer a single iota of explanation for any of the events happening... which I would've been fine with if I knew that's what it was going to be going in, just a movie about people reacting to unexplained kaiju events on the ground, without cutting away to the scientists who explain everything. But because of that marketing campaign and because the movie ends on a completely pointless sequel tease I felt like I'd been hoodwinked. "Watch Cloverfields 2 through 17 to eventually get answers!"

Like we never even find out why the movie's called Cloverfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

The weird thing about Roger Corman is that everyone who tried to follow in his footsteps just wasn't able to make trash nearly as entertaining or professional looking as his. The guy was a special talent in the world of no to low budget.

But his biggest talent was knowing where to spend his money. The Asylum probably spends more on its burnt-out meme celebrity cameos than it does on any other aspect of the production, and that's one of the reasons their movies are poo poo.