Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pyswagoras posted:

Possible King Ghidorah and Mothra solo movies

It kind of sounds like Legendary's monsterverse will be done after Godzilla vs King Kong?

I don't know whether to feel crushing disappointment for what could have been, or childlike glee for what's to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jet jaguar would be a better fit for legendary than mechagodzilla

I desperately want to see Legendary Godzilla and Jet Jaguar shaking hands and talking monster talk in tyool 2019

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Were the bodies on the tail at the end really people it stomped on?

No

quote:

Way I understood it, the implication is that Maki's DNA ended up in Godzilla and that's where it got the ability to make humanoid versions of itself.

Yes

quote:

Did I miss something?

No

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My bluray of Shin Godzilla arrives today :getin:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Big Monarch coming to take my monsters away

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Violator posted:

Like Bigfoot, there isn’t a single Kong. There may only be one *King* Kong, but they are legion. And they are here to conquer the broken remnants of humanity left tattered after the great Titan war. This truly is a Planet of the Kongs.

Or there could be one Kong, I don’t remember what Skull Island said.

It's stated explicitly in Skull Island that Kong is the last of his species but hey that never held anyone back from a good old fashioned retcon

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Sio posted:

Kong is going to become a radical anti-monarchist once he sees that Godzilla has claimed the title of King. GvK will feature him leading a faction of Earth’s giant monsters in a revolutionary uprising against Godzilla and his loyalists.

At the end of the movie Godzilla will be executed via a massive guillotine (forged using one of Gigan’s dismembered arms) and Kong will be elected the first President of the Monsters.

No Gods, No Monsters

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly if this movie doesn’t end with Godzilla blowing up the planet and ending in Hell what’s the point of anything?

I'd settle for

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

Nothing, hence the Ahab reference. I think that would just be more interesting than the boring rear end whitebread army dude protagonist we got.

I think Godzilla 2014 is good by the way, the human protagonist just really sucks, especially compared to Shin Godzilla which I recently got around to watching.

King of the Monsters looks like it won't have the problem though with the human characters and I hope its going to be as rad as it looks.

I think they’re massively telegraphing that the real King of the Monsters is MOM

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I thought Taylor-Johnson did fine given the 10 or so lines he had to work with after Cranston dies. Which is probably for the best, because his voice is comically high-pitched, especially for a leading-man role.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Where can one find this technobabble?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Cythereal posted:

http://www.monarchsciences.com/

For the last bits on each kaiju:

Thanks!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I hope she's actually Megalon, Gigan, and Jet Jaguar in a trenchcoat

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Look at them at it again body shaming that big beautiful lizard with their photoshopping. When will hollyweird accept full figured Kaiju? When?!

I, too, support Big Beautiful Kaijus

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Looking forward to the mountain dragon and oil crab, or whatever these mystery kaiju are

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

One long take of Mothra, Rodan, and Godzilla just tearing Ghidorah apart piece by piece.

And then the sky opens up and Gigan and Space Godzilla arrive.

I would kill for an updated Gigan.

I'd also settle for Megalon but there's no universe where that happens.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

These are amazing

This one has me scratching my head. The lava would have you think it's Rodan but it looks like it's walking. Burning Godzilla? Or a second, maybe third, unknown kaiju?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

You know there'd be a lot of cult poo poo built around him

*Him

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Y'all trippin. This is what a good Godzilla toy looks like:

I had this toy with a much more subdued paint job. I took it with me everywhere and I still have it in a box in a box in my basement. I need to take that bad boy out.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if you just had one that had a lot of wear and tear and the paint had faded. The one my friend had was like that, I think he'd had it handed down to him by some older cousin or something.

I'll try to find it tonight to take a pic, I'm almost certain it 1) didn't have the silver chest/backplates, 2) badly painted eyes, or 3) red lips, but you may be right. The gauze of nostalgia lies heavy.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Godzilla: King Caesar of the Monsters

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

Godzilla: King poo poo of gently caress (Monster) Island

That's the stuff

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I couldn't find my dumpy old big Godzilla but I did dig out these guys :black101:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Godzilla 2: Radioactive Boogaloo

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tekne posted:

Have you accepted Godzilla as your personal Lord and Savior?

Would like to know more about Charlize Theron's thoughts on politics and poop

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Legendary have said they are done after Kong v Godzilla. They plotted out the story to have a beginning, middle and an end.

[Jeff Goldblumishly]: P-pr-profit finds a way.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

New phone background, don't mind if I dooooooo

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Predictions for the climax based on the trailers: Ghidorah lifts Godzilla up to a great height, drops him and injures him gravely, then Ken Watanabe revives him by powering him up with a nuke, and fiery Godzilla kicks the juice out of Ghidorah

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Panfilo posted:

More likely,
Mothra sacrifices herself to save Godzilla at a critical moment, as the trailers show her taking a direct hit from Ghidorah's gravity beams. The trailers also show what I assume is her flaming corpse falling back down. Her remains probably lands on Godzilla and powers him up.

Ah, the full Super Metroid :hmmyes:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm real tempted to do a rewatch of the entire Godzilla back catalogue in the lead up to King Of The Monsters, starting from '54 and plowing right through.

Who else is in?

I think I'm doing this as well. I've got a pretty wide assortment of movies on DVD and a few on Blu-Ray. Maybe I'll catalogue in this thread as I go.

K. Waste posted:

If you have to pick 5, for your health, they should probably be

1) Mothra vs Godzilla
2) Ghidorah
3) Monster Zero
4) Final Wars
5) Kong: Skull Island

Shin Godzilla should definitely, absolutely be in there if you're only going to watch 5

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Failson posted:

Personal top five:
1. Destroy all Monsters
2. Invasion of Astro Monster
3. vs. Smog Monster
4. vs. Gigan (yes, I know)
5. Vs. Space Godzilla (again, I know)

Not a Kaiju movie, but Matango is up on prime video, a good, creepy little Toho monster movie.

I support your vs. Gigan

I would have vs. Megalon in mine.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tDUwNjw7ms&t=2s

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I missed out on a lot of the Heisei films so I'm excited to hear that. I've been going through the Millennium films and they don't give any fucks about continuity. Were GMK and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla made by different studios? Despite being released back to back they both pose themselves as direct sequels to 1954 and even the Godzilla suits are different. GMK in particular was a bit of a hot mess. I've never seen such a defanged Ghidorah.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
GMK had its moments to be sure. There was an infectious quirkiness and self-awareness to some of the characters that felt unique among the Godzilla films I've seen--the long-haired head of the channel Yuri worked for, the cameraman who had an unrequited lover for her, the old man spewing prophecies before being unceremoniously killed by Ghidorah. There was a delightful Scream-esque vibe to the first half hour as the kaiju are introduced that was unfortunately dispensed with pretty quickly. The relationship between Yuri and her father was touching at times. There's a clear theme running throughout about the horrors of war being forgotten by the latest generation, but it was clear because it was explicitly stated, not because the action or plot worked toward that theme per se. The early CG is bad but at least used sparingly (unlike Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla)

I can certainly see the appeal of GMK, it was fine, it mostly just felt half-baked to me.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Popped in Final Wars last night after watching Tokyo SOS and I got tonal whiplash

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I actually turned it off after about a half hour. I also saw it once before years ago and remembered it being frenetic, but I didn't remember the dad rock, the anime sensibilities, the snap-cut editing, the wild story about human mutants, and the intro featuring a Japanese sub captained by a Jesse Ventura lookalike. That half hour wasn't good, but it was fun.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I haven't seen it yet obviously but this is beyond the pale

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

If you were lucky like I was, you grew up with Godzilla marathons running on TNT and had the VHS tapes long enough to record three or four of them in a row.

This was my experience, with a dash of MST3k on late night Comedy Central doing Godzilla vs Megalon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Predictions for the climax based on the trailers: Ghidorah lifts Godzilla up to a great height, drops him and injures him gravely, then Ken Watanabe revives him by powering him up with a nuke, and fiery Godzilla kicks the juice out of Ghidorah

Not too far off! Mothra's involvement excepting

Boy, I really hate to say it, but this was a huge disappointment for me. I was fairly hyped, which was a mistake, because all of the worst features of the third trailer, the red flags I ignored--the quipping characters, the heavy-handed exposition, monsters fighting in nothing but the dark and rain again--I had brushed off, saying to myself, "well, hopefully that stuff will be minimized and monsters fighting will be maximized and the plot will at least be somewhat decent." I didn't prepare myself for the possibility that these things could actually be worse in the final product. I found myself bored for most of it, stifling yawns and waiting for the inevitable climactic brawl. I felt no connection to the characters or the breathless plot, and I was kept involved only by my nostalgia for these kaiju.

Half the cast could have been excised and the movie would be no worse off, and probably tighter for it: the colonel, the soldier, that dude from Silicon Valley who looks like a shivering chihuahua. I still can hardly believe that the "Oh my God"--"zillahhh..." was actually part of the movie. I really thought that was some precious trailer editing. Every single person around me scoffed. I was embarrassed for this movie in that moment. I actually didn't mind Bradley Whitford's character as much as some people in this thread, but that was mainly because he was just one cute, quipping side character in a minor sea of cute, quipping side characters.

Sally Hawkins' character got done dirty with an off-camera death and a "Deceased" summary on a screen that quickly slips into background irrelevance. The family's throughline, the emotional core of the plot, felt forgotten for most of the film (and I literally have forgotten the resolution, 12 hours later). Dr. Russell's intentions were vague and muddied by being kidnapped by an ecoterrorist organization yet essentially aligning with them from the get-go. Did she want to get kidnapped? Was there ever a moment of doubt? Was it all just very convenient given her original intentions? Kyle Chandler's character was mostly along for the ride. Millie Bobby Brown gave the best performance, I thought, but was absent for large swaths of the film.

The first few scenes--the family breakfast, Mothra's birth, even the nonsensical UN(?) hearing--it had me. I was in. They're setting up the players, the relationships, the state of Monarch, everything's jolly. But after the kidnapping, the pacing goes completely off the rails and I felt like I had been thrown down a well, bouncing off plot points as I fell. Almost nothing was set up. Events simply happened when they needed to happen. The military guy from Godzilla '14 shows up on a screen, and not only does he have the Oxygen Destroyer, it's already on the way and there's nothing to be done about it. The ORCA, the ultimate mcguffin, does whatever needs to happen in that moment. It soothes Mothra when she needs to be soothed. It confuses Ghidorah when he needs to be confused. Things happened at such a headlong pace that when I picked a relatively quiet moment to slip out to go to the bathroom, thinking that perhaps the frantic exposition and pace would finally give way to a rare moment of reflection, I came back to Ken Watanabe volunteering to sacrifice himself. I was out of the theater for 2 minutes and I missed the setup for the ancient underwater city and their setting up the plan to resurrect Godzilla with a nuke. I apparently also missed DC being destroyed in those 2 minutes.

Which brings me to my biggest disappointment. I can forgive a lackluster human story, if this movies delivers on the promise of the only thing I've wanted from a Godzilla movie since I was like 6: big monsters fighting on a $200 million budget. And it did that, but I was missing a sense of... scale? Proportion? Usually in Godzilla movies there's a fair amount of collateral damage in the way of buildings and other man-made structures, which serves to lend weight and size to the kaiju. Showing them from a near-ground perspective toppling buildings and bridges somehow solidifies their sheer size in your mind and makes them "real", even when they are obviously guys in rubber suits. I was missing that almost entirely in this movie. The battleground of DC is a flattened, bare arena as soon as we arrive (see above for a personal caveat). I was trying to grasp the size of these creatures on a visceral level, desperately looking for something contextual to guide me to that little nugget of awe. The nearest thing to it was the moment when Mothra webs two of Ghidorah's heads to a building and Godzilla proceeds to bum rush him through it. That was a highlight for me. I will say, though, that despite that lack of scale, most of the monster shots were beautifully composed, if all too brief.

There's one moment in the film when Godzilla and Ghidorah are going at it in a straight shot, and I am jazzed: all the other problems aside, at least I get to see giant monsters duke it out. And then, in that moment of ultimate anticipation, the goddamn Super X rises up from out of frame to block the entire shot. This was the ultimate microcosm: the smooth, gray, flat hull of the human story cockblocking the only interesting thing this movie had going for it.

I hate to be so down on it. I want to watch it again and give it another fair shake. We saw a late showing, I was tired, and also a little drunk. To be fair, I doubt any movie could have ever lived up to the second trailer, which was perhaps the most effective movie trailer I've ever seen. It certainly was a visual spectacle at times. To end on the positive: the soundtrack and sound design overall was phenomenal. I think it will be a movie best viewed as a clip show, with the soundtrack as a chaser.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 1, 2019