Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As much as I want to see Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan, I'd be ok if we got Godzilla fighting a giant Kiwi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

It could still all fall apart at the end, if that tail ever twitches. They're in a delicate state.

I like that. And it still works as a nuclear power metaphor. Godzilla is still there to stay, they can't get rid of him, and if it breaks down, everything will go to poo poo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

And there's a good chance Funi will record a dub for it, which I'll be curious to see, as Funi uses real voice actors and not whatever English speakers Toho could get off the streets of Japan.

A drat shame, really.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Seemlar posted:

The plot on this one is a doozy. It's about humanity having fled the Earth in ark ships after losing a 50 year war against Kaiju, now returning to try and retake a world that's been ruled by Godzilla for 20,000 years.

The humans should leave Godzilla alone. He deserves this planet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'd enjoy an option that subtitles the japanese dialog and dubs over the english.

But the horrible English is half the fun.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm praying to the gods of lisencing that all of the out of print/never been Godzillas will hit bluray when King of the Monsters comes out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

Charles Dance is gonna be in the next American Godzilla movie and I legitimately can't wait to see how they manage to waste a great character actor this time around.

Who did they waste in the last movie?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Amazon finally seems to have Shin Godzilla up for preorder.
Shin Godzilla up for preorder. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071S71D4N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FRWozbEXEFGJD
$35 is pricey, but still worth it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

So, I told my son (a fellow Gojiraphile) about the upcoming anime, and what little I knew about the story, and his reaction was "so...it's going to be like Kaiju Busters only with Godzilla?" I thought for a few minutes, and realized he's right on the money. I have no problems with this comparison.

I have a bookshelf full of DS games and I never knew this existed. Gonna have to track down a copy now!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like Tokyo SOS for all it's spirituality. I don't normally say that about films, so I don't know why I thought it was great in a movie featuring a giant robot and moth fighting a giant lizard monster.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tired ol' bear was an oddly inspired choice for Godzilla.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

does anyone know if the blu-ray/dvd release coming out on Amazon tomorrow has original japanese with english subs on it? not sure if it comes with that option.

Dunno. I'll be checking it out. I'll probably end up watching it a couple times this week. My dad wants to see it so I'll end up bringing it over and he'll probably wanna watch it dubbed. I don't normally like dubs in live action movies, but I'm curious how they'll handle the bilingual speaking parts.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shin is very different than Godzilla 2014, but yes yes a thousand times yes. Buy it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Now I'm picturing the famous photo of Bush in the classroom but about a Godzilla monster instead of 9/11.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

The joke of characters' titles and positions becoming longer and stupider as the movie goes on is very underrated.

I caught that that this time and was very amused. It's amazing how much better this movie was this time now that I didn't have some douchebag rocking his office chair left and right obscuring my view of the subtitles.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Goddamn. So presumably 5 years before Shin Godzilla 2 is in theatres. 6 years before it gets a limited US run. 7 years until the Blu-ray is out.

At least we'll have at least two American Godzilla features in that time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This year. Do you mean my calculations could be off by a year? That means...*taps wildly on a calculator. Rips out the strip of paper.* EIGHT YEARS!?!?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

He'll hopefully be gone in a couple years from the half-life.

However, the citizens of Japan will have to face the full life consequences.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They completely dropped the Godzilla Resurgence name, didn't they?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Is there anyone in the movie who actually verbalizes that theory though? I mean I get that he's evolving to meet the challenges of the environment he finds himself in, but that he would specifically evolve into the thing that's defeating him is more of an interpretation than something I remember being actually spelled out. Did I just miss a line of dialogue or something?

Not quite, but he was being attacked by helicopters and jets, and they did mention Godzilla could potentially sprout wings and fly to another continent.

Though Godzilla used lasers to defeat the helicopters and jets so I'm probably connecting dots that aren't there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's weird, but I don't really view Shin Godzilla as a giant walking lizard the way I do all the other Godzillas.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Vudu code that came with the Blu-ray contained both. Just get the Blu-ray.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

remusclaw posted:

Now that it's out, how did they end up dubbing American Girl? They just leave her dialog intact for all the hilarity that would entail or did they drop that part of Her character?

They basically just dropped that part of her character. All her lines are dubbed over, even the parts where she spoke English. Which kinda makes it weirder when she says those lines.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gidorah as a hero in GMK was weird.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How did they get away with making Shin in the first place?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also seem to remember talks of a new Gamera movie but that didn't seem to go anywhere.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

About to watch Skull Island again. :iamafag:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Line of Skull Island- "Sounds like a bird but it's a fuckin' ant."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RichterIX posted:

I had avoided Gamera the Brave because I'd heard bad things about it, but now I want to see it and apparently the blu-ray that I passed up for $10 a thousand times is now out of print and impossible to find :(

:same:

You figure they would have reprinted it in 2014.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zilla doesn't gently caress, but Zilla gets penetrated by thousands of bullets.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

The scene immediately before the line about "nuclear wisdom" has the japanese scientists saying that Godzilla was already getting smaller in order to propagate

That line sounds like an off chance theory, but then you see the tail at the end and it just becomes chilling. The thought of those weird...alien things... Ugh.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Most hikers die before reaching Godzilla's summit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Imagine Dragons is this decade's Sum 41.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That was a quick shoot!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Godzilla vs King Kong better have a Robot Jox final shot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm wondering how much they micromanaged G 14's look. As I understand, they always demand Godzilla to have his forearms perpendicular, but G '14 breaks the mold there and is allowed to let them hang loose.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Does Kong gently caress?

How else do you think Skull Island got it's eye holes?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wild Horses posted:

shin vs legendary is the only endgame

I adore Legendary, but if they hadn't beaten Shin at that moment Shin Godzilla would have become the universe... According to that thing Anno said anyway.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Why does Godzilla merch have to be so expensive. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That might be the one black mark against the movie. Skullcrawlers is a silly name. Don't let the characters be ashamed of camp!