Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Elfgames posted:

show me the japanese film where godzilla is an "apex predator" instead of the result of a nuclear attack or weapon

In Gojira he was just a dinosaur that was woken up/pissed off because of the nuclear weapon testing, but he wasn't created by it.

Short of Godzilla vs. King Ghidora giving Godzilla that origin story as a much smaller "Godzillasaurus" on an island somewhere that gets mutated to be huge I don't know of any other Japanese film where radiation is specifically the cause of his origin.

The 1998 Matthew Broderick film is explicitly that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
GMK is such an odd movie. Its one of my favorites of the Millenium series in terms of monster design and the crazy battles but I was never quite sure what Godzilla was supposed to represent.

Was he the souls of the dead taking vengeance on Japan for their war of conquest? Was he attacking because they tried to forget about the war or push some of the nastiest aspects of it under the rug?

It's been a while since I've seen it, but that part was puzzling.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dylazodelan posted:

G'14 put on a clinic in terms of misleading marketing. The very first trailer, with Godzilla rising out of the rubble and Oppenheimer doing his "I am death" speech, prepared me to see a film where Godzilla was death incarnate and rearing to tear humanity a new one. Instead, he was pretty chill and only wrecked people and stuff when it was explicitly in his way (the shot with him being flanked by Navy ships was cool, but I feel like that wouldn't have flown with the Godzilla we were shown in the trailer).

Godzilla vs. Humans just isn't as fun a conflict to see in the movies as Godzilla vs. other monsters though.

The 1954 original is a great film, but in terms of sheer entertainment/spectacle it can't compare with something like Terror of Mechagodzilla or Godzilla vs. Monster Zero. Godzilla by himself tearing down a city just takes disaster movie setpieces and puts a giant dinosaur at the epicenter instead of an asteroid/earthquake/etc. and you can only see him walk unfazed through missiles so many times before it starts to wear thin.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ZombieParts posted:

So, they gathered all of the old familiar faces from decades past for the film...so they can once again meet in a war room and discuss Godzilla while remaining far from the action. If they want this film to have impact, let's have Godzilla take a few of those people out.

The solution will inevitably be some sort of new secret untested weapon with a ridiculous name like Oxygen Destroyer, All-Metal-Missiles or perhaps the Super X Mk. 10 if they are feeling saucy.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, Godzilla vs. Megalon barely resembles a movie at times- it's more like a really cheap sentai episode with a cast of like 5 people (and no women!) - but it has a certain fascination in that regard.

The one kaiju movie I really loathe is Rebirth of Mothra II.

Godzilla vs. Megalon was the first Godzilla movie I ever bought when I was a kid - it was on clearance at a dollar store and had this really cheap cartoony bootleg-looking cover.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who prefers the Mothra movies in general to the regular Godzilla films. I've never seen one the full way through though myself, the bits I caught on the Sci Fi channel had been pretty dire.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

All this Godzilla history talk has me curious, I've only seen the 1954 movie, Final Wars and 2014. Can somebody give me a short list that I should definitely check out?

Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster

Godzilla vs. Gigan

Godzilla vs. Megalon

Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla

Godzillas Revenge

That ought to get you up to speed.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

All the shots of his (relatively) tiny eyeballs glaring out from his huge craggy monster face are fantastic.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Liberal Idiot posted:

It's funny because we already have the "all-Godzilla" Godzilla movies. They're called "Transformers" and nerds hate them.

I always thought I hated those because I didn't care about that cartoon as a child, found the CGI confusingly rendered and thought the mostly identical looking robot characters were either flat or insulting, but apparently its because of my secret hatred for Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wizchine posted:

Who the gently caress watches Godzilla movies for anything other than Godzilla and the other monsters? All the other poo poo is filler because the budget couldn't handle 90 minutes of painstakingly-built miniatures getting destroyed by men wrestling in latex.

That was pretty much why I started watching them as a little kid. I fast-forwarded through all the talky bits and just watched Godzilla pummel the crap out of whoever the stooge was in the latest rental from the store.

I started paying a bit more attention to the plots as I got older, and enjoyed the crazy sci-fi world of monkey-aliens and space cockroaches and the Martians loving around with earth as well as the more low-key but still banana's setting of the 80's series with its psychics and government anti-monster agencies, but my favorite bits were still when the crazy dinosaur demons blasted lasers at each other.