Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mantis42 posted:

Honestly I disagree. Showa era is much more fun and probably closer to what you expect/want out of a Godzilla film. Hesei movies feel like bad anime if you watch them as an adult.

If you're going to watch the Heisei era you might as well just watch the 90s Gamera trilogy instead to see that sort of thing done right. It's amazing what a bit of ambitious direction can do to really sell the enormity of the monsters; even though the Gamera trilogy had tiny budgets compared to the Heisei Godzilla movies, they look far better.

As for Godzilla, I'm a Showa guy through and through, with Monster Zero and the first Mechagodzilla movie being my two favorites. Hedorah is also an insane masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Godzilla vs. Hedorah is going to be in the goddamn Criterion Collection and I couldn't be happier.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Holy poo poo, the Gamera set from Arrow is incredible. I can't imagine wanting a better presentation of these movies or expecting any more bonus content for them, and the box itself is massive and heavy. After being a little disappointed with Criterion's Godzilla collection (it was fantastic, but you could tell exactly where Toho tied Criterion's hands), this completely exceeded my expectations.