Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Karl
Macrobattery Barricades
Sword of Justice

"Hnn. Hnnhnn."

This is great! The metal collossi can't dodge for poo poo! Karl eyes the furtive, renegade Astartes with some dismay, though. They're huge! They have huge guns! They probably also have huge grenades, and if one of them's just sprinted out of view, he's probably got some sort of horrible plan in mind.

Karl draws a bead on the speediest-looking Marine, who has momentarily dropped to one knee to make better use of cover, and sends a coruscating blast of energy hurtling towards the vile, corrupted heretic. Acacia appears to have taken heart from the bellowed orders of Pedro, and is actually connecting with some of her shots, chipping armour and scorching flakplates.

pre:
Combat Block:
WS   BS    S   T    Ag   Int    Per  WP   Fel 
20	43	48	40	30	32	25	20	35	

M36 Lasgun
	Basic		100m S/3/– 1d10+3 E Pen0 60 Full Reliable 
	Overcharge	100m S/3/– 1d10+4 E Pen1 30 Full Reliable (uses 2 shots)
	Overload	100m S/3/– 1d10+5 E Pen2 15 Full Unreliable (uses 4 shots)

Taranis Pattern Mark IV Man Portable Lascannon 
	Basic		300m S/-/– 5d10+10 E Pen10 5 Full Unreliable, Proven (4) (2/5 clip remaining)

Initiative: 1d10+3
Wounds: 15/15
Fate: 3/3
Armor: 4 all, 5 vs blast
Dodge: 30
----

i was initially gonna snipe the stunned CSM in the head with a called shot, but then he got melta attention and even though i'm first in initiative it seems a bit of a dick move to make someone else rewrite their post.

so, half aim from previous round (+10) taken up to full aim from this round (+10) and short range (+10) and Ranged Volley (+5) and BS (+43) = TN of 78 to hit speees mareeeen 3. this may be TN 68 if i'm not allowed to switch aim targets, which makes perfect sense tbh

regardless the lascannon has connected with a 50 on the dot, which going by rulebook hit location rules is the head (if we're rolling randomly it's the foot again, hence the kneeling) and has done 43 damage + 4 damage for Get Them

if CSM3 is not actually visible, assume i pulp CSM2, or failing that just anyone that's in view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gonna clarify how the field looks. Your most dangerous threat is CSM #1 who is 10m away from you guys on your right hand side (his left) behind a support pillar. The pillar is part of the ship superstructure so its gonna be some serious AP. I am gonna reread the cover table but i'm ballparking it this morning at the same AP you guys got or higher. Also there are imperial angels and saints and poo poo on both side of the pillar so you'd prob feel weird about shooting through it?!?!?!. He could shoot you, throw grenades, or just charge your line with a Chainsword and start cutting you guys up and that's gonna be bad news.

30m to your left, CSMs #2-4 are huddled up back in the boarding pod that brought their asses here. They are out of line of sight with the exception of CSM 3 who is not pinned and probably peeking out of the side of the boarding pod either trying to shoot you with a called shot that will ignore your cover (cause he's going for headshots) or throw a grenade into the squads midst. Which is why this squad is also just as loving dangerous to you as CSM#1 if not more so, because a Chaos Space Marine can apparently frag grenade you from this distance as well reliably. I swear I only thought of giving Vicissitude a chance to shoot something when I brought in their reinforcement wave. It was either this or making you all take fear checks from a Fear 3 Hellbrute.

100m and 200m meters away respectively CSMs #6-10 and #11-15 are assaulting the other way to another gun battery, trying to deal with the blast doors that are probably threatening to close them off from the rest of the ship. 400m away CSM 16-20 are, unbeknownst to you all, fighting among the Eudaimonian 4th Platoon and causing a hilarious amount of casualties. You will, as the battle goes on hear the non stop CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK of a Legion Heavy Bolter as well as explosions coming from that far down rocking the ship as well as strange and twisted bass crescendos that reverberate throughout the ship out in the distance. And they are why.

100m away is also Chaos Formation with the critically wounded CSM overseer who are all behind AP 4 cover. The CSM Overseer is out of line of sight because his guys are keeping his rear end DOWN so he won't be shot. You can do a called shot to shoot through cover at where he likely is. It shouldn't be hard since someone with a medicae kit is trying to work on him and you might occasionally see a big rear end metal arm trying to slap him away.

CSMs 6-20 are not on the initiative order because they are not concerned with your positions at all. That and I want to see how this party handles just 5 non fearless CSM's before i throw the actual CSMs at you. This whole "ship" campaign is basically seeing what the party can handle over time and me working out the kinks of the rules.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 13, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Changed my orders to overwatching csm#1, still the same hits and everything, thanks Viva.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Changed my orders to overwatching csm#1, still the same hits and everything, thanks Viva.

For the sake of effectiveness, I'm gonna strongly suggest you give your voss to your comrade to begin reloading with his own actions with krak rounds and overwatch with your grenade launcher. Why? Concussive (0) will make this marine take a toughness test or be stunned or some poo poo if i remember the rule right. And it will penetrate armor and with 2d10+8 damage you actually stand to hurt this marine. Like normally I'd never open my mouth and tell you how to do you but its something that I figured your PC would have realized if you the player didn't. Krak Grenades for the hated enemy, lasguns for everyone else.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Viva Miriya posted:

For the sake of effectiveness, I'm gonna strongly suggest you give your voss to your comrade to begin reloading with his own actions with krak rounds and overwatch with your grenade launcher. Why? Concussive (0) will make this marine take a toughness test or be stunned or some poo poo if i remember the rule right. And it will penetrate armor and with 2d10+8 damage you actually stand to hurt this marine. Like normally I'd never open my mouth and tell you how to do you but its something that I figured your PC would have realized if you the player didn't. Krak Grenades for the hated enemy, lasguns for everyone else.

Cool, that sounds like a good idea. I'll edit for that later but I'm on break at work right now.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Medic Midge Kraken

Midge sees EVEN MORE TRAITOR ASTARTES and throws herself to the deck, forgetting all about her lasgun, hoping she doesn't get blown up by a grenade the size of her head. Let someone else get blown up!

Evasion action! -20 to be shot at, 2 evasion reactions possible.

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	AG	INT	PER	WP	FEL	
20	23	23	40	40	47	43	40	20	

M36 Lasgun 	0/60 	4 charge packs
	Overcharge	100m S/3/– 1d10+4 E Pen0 60 Full Reliable	(uses 2 shots)
	Overload	100m S/3/– 1d10+5 E Pen2 60 Full Unreliable	(uses 4 shots)

Laspistol
	Basic		30m S/2/– 1d10+2 E Pen0 30 Full Reliable 
	Overcharge	30m S/2/– 1d10+3 E Pen0 30 Full Reliable	(uses 2 shots)
	Overload	30m S/2/– 1d10+4 E Pen2 30 Full Unreliable	(uses 4 shots)

Initiative: 8
Wounds: 13/13
Armor: 4 all, 5 vs blast
Dodge: 40

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Here is the updated map courtesy of SkellyBones. The squad gains 200 exp immediately for this hookup. Update will be during the week.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 19, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Serafina "Luna" Aleksandr

The month after they left, Serafina worked on autopilot, like a good soldier. She had checked out mentally, as the sheer weight of the mobilization hit her. She would never see anyone she knew or cared about again, if she ever made it back home. It was like being thrown out of a vehicle in the wastes. There was nowhere to go, nothing to try and orient yourself. You were alone, and there wasn't anyone coming to help. Then she saw the squad cog-girl heading off to the armory. On a whim, she decided to go there one day as well after PT. The old quartermaster Mikhail Schinstock caught her snooping around and for reprimand ordered her to break down and clean reserve lasguns until lights out. He was surprised when Serafina came back the next night to volunteer for the same job again.

There was something calming about this work. It wasn't quite as liberating as tinkering with captured weapons and vehicles, but it gave her something to put her mind on. Break down the lasgun. Clean the lenses and battery pack anchors. Test fire. Beam too dispersed. Break down again, find out what's wrong with the alignment. A series of puzzles that gave her something else to occupy her attention, which became a routine that gave her a basis to work around. Eventually she started helping out with more advanced tasks, nothing like what a techpriest could do, but an extra pair of eager hands never went unnoticed. Eventually she started telling Mikhail about her adventurous youth, daring raids and running firefights through the wastelands. Half of them were even true.

Of course as she came out of her depression, she felt more like her old self again. But with that came back old habits. There were half a dozen little tucked away stashes of stolen goods all over their sector of the ship before they were even midway through the current trip. Extra rations here, a pack of lho sticks there. Now of course she wasn't supposed to be wandering the decks away from the designated regimental stations, but what's a girl to do if there was a perfectly good bottle of amasac let all alone in in an empty room?

It was drat good amasac too, it turned out. And apparently expensive - the armsmen that came down looking for it were lead by a sergeant-type named Nelson. The navy ratings had learned well enough that if something consumable went mysteriously missing, odds were good it was dissapearing down the gullets of some soldiers of the new regiment. Demanded the amasac back - course, it was mostly gone by then. Then he rattled off something about how rare and expensive it was and that he wanted something to pay it back. Now, of course there were more diplomatic ways of handling this particular situation. But Luna choose to declare "Eudamonian traditional rules" - if you can't keep someone from taking something, it wasn't yours to begin with. Then she drank the rest of the amasac and spit it in Nelson's face.

By the time the powers -that-be came down to see what the fuss was about, it quickly became a finger pointing contest. Fortunately the bottle of amasac that caused the whole ruckus had mysteriously vanished without a trace. It'd been a good night, even though Luna was nursing a black-eye for the next four days.

Life continued. Tensions were high with the ratings, but apparently the Amasac Incident was part of a trend - in fact, it wasn't even the first involving stolen amasac. She continued helping out in the armory, even being allowed to work on the regimental vehicles a bit. Not that there were many, but still.

Now the peace was shattered by an enemy attack. It was time to see if Mother-Elder's words about the grand military heritage of the Aleksandr family were right. Luna files in with everyone else trying to get additional equipment - and it just so happens that Mikhail is on duty at the time. When Luna is up in line he doesn't even hesitate from handing over the requested Long-Las - with a scope already attached. He gave a small wink and shooed her away from the ever growing line of soldiers trying to get heavier equipment.

When the pods first hit she nearly fainted. There it was - one of the terrors that had destroyed their home. A walking abomination - a nightmare made real. The sarge's voice faltered, an panic seemed ready to send the whole squad fleeing -

Until a lascannon cut it down.

initiative: 1d10+4 10

The spell broke immediately. Luna had the briefest of moments to really look at the armored giant, ablaze and dying under a hail of cleansing las-fire. Really, truly looked at it. There were thick plates, and big guns to be sure. It was fast, faster than any living thing had a right to be all covered up. But... There were joints. There were holes. These things weren't nightmares - they were tanks. Highly dangerous, advanced walking tanks. And if there is one thing that Eudamonians knew - it was killing tanks.

Finally she recovered from her daze, and brought the long-las to bear. There, writhing on the ground - that overseer marine. She didn't care about his aura or whatever the hell that was - it was time to put this particular nightmare to bed.

She exhaled and looked down this wonderful sight, and turned the dial on her weapon to "MAXIMUM gently caress" while aiming at the weakest point she could see -

"Let's see you bleed."

Taking a half-action aim at Overseer SM in the pod, firing a single Overload shot from my Long Las.

Long Las (Short, Aim, Accurate, Red Dot) TN 85: 1d100 8 = 8 Degrees of Success
(I gave myself an extra 10 on Orokos, fixed it here though). Accurate weapon, so +2d10 damage from the degrees of success.

Long-Las Damange (Pen 3, Felling 4): 3d10+5 23
So 23 damage to the leg, Pen 3 and Felling 4

pre:
20	43	30	30	45	30	33	40	20	

Las Weapon Expertise - impose -5 to dodge tests for each DoS on attack.
Long Las                 Shots Remaining: 36   Charge Packs: 4
        Basic         150m S/–/– Dam: 1d10+3 Pen: 1 Clip: 40 Rld: Full Traits: Accurate, Reliable, Felling (4)
        Overcharge    150m S/–/– Dam: 1d10+4 Pen: 1 Clip: 40 Rld: Full Traits: Accurate, Reliable, Felling (4), uses 2 shots
        Overload      150m S/–/– Dam: 1d10+5 Pen: 3 Clip: 40 Rld: Full Traits: Accurate, Unreliable, Felling (4), uses 4 shots

M36 Lasgun 	0/60 	0 charge packs

Laspistol
	Basic		30m S/2/– 1d10+2 E Pen0 30 Full Reliable 
	Overcharge	30m S/2/– 1d10+3 E Pen0 30 Full Reliable	(uses 2 shots)
	Overload	30m S/2/– 1d10+4 E Pen2 30 Full Unreliable	(uses 4 shots)

initiative: 1d10+4 10
Wounds: 11/11
Armor: 4 all, 5 vs Blast
Awareness: 33
Dodge: 45
Stealth: 45
Hatred (Chaos Space Marines)

Long Las (40): 1d100 2
-Quartermaster really loves me
Red Dot Sight (40): 1d100 25

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 9, 2016

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Waci post

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Jayne

Cursing the quartermaster out loud (though quietly enough to be sure nobody could quite make out what she said over the ongoing commotion), Jayne stares at the crude drawing of Leman Russ stuck to the Sentinel's dashboard. gently caress bureaucrat's sense of humour. You'll drive a Leman Russ, just like the ones on the posters, they said. Laughed in her face and doodled on a post-it note, they did. So now, instead driving their enemies from the ship with a glorious instrument of the God Emperor's fury, Jayne trundles towards the firing line with what she's convinced is a forklift truck with a lasgun welded on. For fucks sake, hadn't she seen sentinels used as cargo lifters by the ship's ratings? This was NOT what the recruiters had told her. Even her friend Joe, whose existence seemed to revolve around going around with a stylus and drawing fetching pictures of the military life for use by the recruiters and other media types had made good-hearted fun at her misfortune.

Continuing her tirade, she eventually stomps to the front line. A firing line of brave Imperial faithful are shooting from an advantageous position at cowardly heretics hiding behind whatever cover their primitive minds can identify. Well, at least that part looked like a poster. She briefly wonders whether it fit some sort of twisted sense of fairness that the poor sods stuck walking around on foot got exactly what was advertised, while the luckier people with something to drive got shafted and stuck with dry humour and re-purposed loading dock equipment.

Trying her best to shove the bitterness towards the munitorum out of her head for a moment in favour of more urgently important things, she parks the sentinel behind the Imperial line and looks more carefully at the enemy positions. All in cover, behind reasonably heavy things. Not wishing to unduly damage the ship's structures with reckless suppressing fire down a hallway, she instead prepares to shoot anything leaving cover, while her new friend the sentinel's machine spirit, surprisingly friendly despite being similarly stuck in less than glorious equipment, makes its own preparations adjusting the multi-laser's aiming systems. Keeping an eye peeled on the battlefield, a stray thought crosses her mind of what would happen if someone accidentally ended up in the cross-fire. Despite the sweetness of the thought of "accidentally" shooting that rear end in a top hat janitor Bob who had "cleaned away" her beloved pet lump of moss (it had been in a standard issue mason jar borrowed from the mess, clearly labelled as Mossy!), Jayne remains determined to check whether the moving thing is a friend or foe first before pulling any triggers.

Sitting somewhere sensible and overwatching down the hallway. 45 degree arc look like it could cover both the chaos formation and the boarding pod entrance. +0 pinning test inside that cone, and will full auto with the multilaser if something steps out of cover.

pre:
Name: Jayne
Specialty: Operator
Demeanour: 

BS:43=20+20+3
WS:20=20
S:20=20
T:30=20+10
Ag:45=20+20+5
Int:40=20+20
Per:33=20+10+3
Wp:30=20+10
Fel:30=20+10

Wounds: 11
Fate: 3
CP:
IP: 1d5

Aptitudes:
Agility, Ballistic Skill, Fellowship, Fieldcraft, Intelligence, Tech, Toughness

Skills:
Common Lore (Tech, War, Imperial Guard)
Tech-Use
Operate (Surface) +10
Navigate (Surface)
Awareness
Lnguistics (Low Gothic)
Survival
Athletics

Talents:
Technical Knock
Weapon Training (Las, Low-Tech)
Rapid Reload
Resistance (Fear)
Tank Hunter
Push the Limit

Traits:
Anti-armour Regiment

Gear:
MIU
Auspex
Combi-tool
Data-slate
Lascutter
Standard regimental kit
Sentinel
-Multilas
-Good Craftsmanship Truck Nutz™

XP spent: 
Commerce -200
Operate (Surface) +10 -200
Push the Limit -200
pre:
20	43	20	30	45	40	33	30	30	

M36 Lasgun 	60/60 	2 spare charge packs

Initiative: 1d10+4
Wounds: 11/11
Armor: 4 all, 5 vs Blast
Awareness: 33

Tank Hunter
Rapid Reload
Push the Limit
Resistance (Fear)

Sentinel
Speed 10, Manoeuvrability +10, Size enormous, structural integrity 20
Armour: front 25, sides and rear 15
Enhanced Motive Systems, Open-topped, Walker
Multi-laser 	100/100 	2 spare charge packs
	Mounted		150m -/-/- 2d10+10 E, Pen 2, Rld 2F, Reliable 

Waci fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 23, 2016

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Update is mechanically complete, I need to fluff it tommorow. For now read this and weep tears of joy.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

EMPEROR’S VENGEANCE STARBOARD MACROCANNON BROADSIDE
1400 Local Standard Time (yes your combat took 15 seconds to resolve)

Karl looks down the scope of his Lascannon as he crosses over the stunned traitor in the middle of the deck, passing over him and setting his sights on the boarding pod closest to the squad. One of the Chaos Marines is readying a frag grenade and is about to throw it across the barricade! The grenade drops to the headless Marine’s feet and explodes in the boarding pod. The body runs out of the boarding pod until it trips on some crate and it falls on its front. The legs are still moving as if the Chaos Marine was still alive and trying to run. Luna kills the leader of the Chaos Formation and they break, running from the dead overseer to his comrade 50 meters away. The traitor marine squad turns and joins Sheila in killing them all, though Sheila manages to kill 2 of them before the rest are eviscerated in a hail of bolter fire.

Pedro continues rallying his forces and it bleeds over to Petty Officer Lothar’s squad, as even the angry Petty Officer can’t argue with the man’s zeal and faith. And the results are right in front of them, there are dead and dying Astartes all in front of them! Midge keeps her head down while one of the last Chaos Marines scoots up to the corner where his brethren had his head taken off, reaching for the grenade mag locked to his armour. A quick turn of the head has another marine, stunned by a chance heavy stubber round to the head, being melted down into slag by Josiah and his brother, a murderous hive ganger pre-astartification jumping the barricades as multilaser and las fire impacted all around him. Armando manages to land a solid 3 crack overload burst on the Marine but it doesn’t even phase the marine, even as it melts pinpoint holes in the ceramite. Horror and fear washes over him as he realizes the traitor has eyes for him and a big rear end chainsword revved up. The marine swings and Armando is just a tad too slow to get out of the way, having his chestplate sawed in half at an angle and the teeth cutting through his flesh quick badly...but not deep enough to kill. Lothar’s Armsmen rally to the call of “CLOSE ASSAULT, KILL THE HERETIC!” as combat shotgun toting armsmen rush into close combat and fire at will. 24 shotgun blasts pepper the chaos marine all over and knock him back away from Armando as well as dazing him. The Heavy Stubber team, reoriented hastily and freed from the risk of killing one of their own now that the marine is knocked down, open fire and riddle him with bullets, the last one popping the chaos marines head like a melon and spraying everyone on the line with blood and gore.

Karl and Luna kill the final CSM as he charges forward with a grenade in his hand but not before he throws it! As the frag grenade flies and tumbles through the air, it lands just behind the barricade in the midst of the squad! One of the armsman jumps on the grenade and the blast is contained within the poor bastards chest cavity. The traitors ahead are quickly moving out of sight and into the passageways of the ship, towards different objectives. Your squad, indeed your platoon seems to be victorious as you see THE LIEUTENANT and his command squad rushing off into the rest of the ship with 2 squads of armsmen, no doubt to root out the rest of the traitors that boarded in this section of the ship. Midge undoubtedly gets to work treating Armandos wounds, while the rest of the armsmen and PO Lothar look over their fallen comrade, a armsman by the name of Sayla. After that moment of silence, PO Lothar grabs Pedro by the shoulder. ”You’re pretty good! Don’t think we’d have held out without your boy on the Lascannon. Keep your guys on guard though, this is no time to celebrate. This isn’t my first rodeo and those traitors aren’t done yet, seems they didn’t wanna waste time on the hardpoint after the swath you cut through them. Anyway keep holding here with my guys, I’ll go get the priest.”

With that PO Lothar and his vox operator head off the line, entrusting the rest of the armsmen to Sgt. Zamorra’s command until he returns and you guys have an hour or so of respite. Fighting is still raging throughout the ship but the chaos has subsided around your gundeck.

300 exp awarded for this encounter, 500 total if you haven’t included the 200 I gave yall for Skellybones helping with the map. Midge needs to roll heals for Armando to see what he gets back. You also have two hours of ingame time to rest and THATS IT because….next mission

EMPEROR’S VENGEANCE STARBOARD MACROCANNON BROADSIDE

1600 Local Standard Time
A runner from the Lieutenant arrives passing word to the platoon elements still on the gundeck and your squad in particular. 3rd platoon (you guys) are to be relieved by Naval Security and link up with the platoon command squad outside of the Generatorium. Gamma Squad (you guys), have the Lieutenant’s thanks for holding the line and his summons for a separate mission from Company Command.

GAMMA SQUAD MISSION: SEARCH AND DESTROY
Primary Objective: Root out and destroy heretical boarding elements between the core generator and the secondary engine rooms.
Secondary Objective: Repair any vital subsystems if time permits with aide of attached Techpriest Enginseer Rhapsode.
Tertiary Objective: Terminate the Raptor Champion leading the traitors in disrupting movement throughout the aft part of the ship.

Additional Notes: Report to shipboard armory with attached requisition for the following Mission Assignment Gear.

4 Krak Grenades per squad member
Lascutter for the squad
Voxcaster for the squad
Replenishment of ammo used and 3 additional magazines for all weapons, prioritizing special weapons.
Special Weapons to be issued to squad at quartermaster discretion

Current Squad Logistic Rating: 15
Front Condition Modifiers as follows
Number of Troops: Single Regiment
Time Spent on Ship: 6-12 Month (+10 to test)
Time Ship has been Active: 5+ Years (+30 to test)
Situation in Orbit: Violent Impasse (-10 to test)
Bonus Modifier: Armsman's Honor (+10 to Logistics when dealing with the Navy)
TOTAL MODIFIER TO LOGISTIC RATING: +40

You guys have one requisition you are allowed to make per person. Its strongly suggested that its some form of weapon thats better than what you have now. You get your Mission Assignment gear and other goodies based on a previous roll by professorcurly...please dig those results up for me. Your squad now has 2 LASCUTTERS unless you wanna trade the one you have in to potentially get something else.

Might I suggest Melta, Plasma or hotshot las weaponry as an acquisition guys?

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 11, 2016

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

UNOFFICIAL AWARDS (They'll become official after this ship campaign is over and you have enough downtime for the ceremony)

Karl: Clandestine Order of St. Meleum
Josiah: Clandestine Order of St. Meleum
Pedro: Winged Skull
Luna: Clandestine Order of St. Meleum
Everyone: Honorifica Imperialis, Armsman's Honor

What do these mean in effect? Ok well the Honorifica Imperialis gives EVERYONE IN THE SQUAD +10 to Fear tests simply because one of the members is/were part of the squad. The Winged Skull gives everyone +10 to command tests. The Clandestine Order of St. Meleum however only works for the bearer. They may spend a fate point to automatically pass a fear test with 1d5 DoS. Coincidentally those who have this medal are the ones who are the main damage dealers of the squad so you don't want them cracking up in battle EVER.

Armsman's Honor is a medal I made up that basically states "hey you helped repel boarders on a Imperial Navy ship". Its effects I'm gonna determine as well as a description later during the award ceremony but it's gonna probably be a squad wide bonus that helps you in close quarters fighting. I'm gonna give you guys a +10 to Logistics Tests when dealing with the Navy.

You benefit from all of these immediately with the pomp coming later. The Eudaimonian Regiments prefer to recognize individuals for heroism immediately, informally, and provide tangible benefits that matter to those who've shown their worth. Better equipment, rations, stuff like that. The ceremony will come after the situation in orbit is secure (hint it won't be) or whenever you get planetside and have setup camp (much more likely).

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 9, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Sheila Rhapsode

Sheila holds up her orders and taps her optical mechadendrite against the paper, using it to draw the Quartermaster's eye to the objectives.

"You see that? Enginseer Rhapsode. That's me. My combat efficiency will be critical if I'm to accomplish the first objective, and my survival will be needed to accomplish the second. I need a hot-shot lasgun. I am perfectly aware that what few hot-shot weapons you have are typically kept in reserve for Militarum Tempestus units, which is why I am specifically requesting the weapon marked 85D9-73A3. I have reviewed your files and I know that the battery was damaged during a transport accident, so it isn't suitable for assignment to a Storm Trooper. A loyal follower of the Omnissiah such as myself, on the other hand, is perfectly capable of dealing with the consequences of its wounded machine spirit."

The man stares at her blankly for a few seconds, then taps a few buttons on his cogitator. A few minutes later, a cargo servitor clanks out of the back and presents her with a hot-shot lasgun with a badly dented power supply. Sheila (internally) celebrates as she picks it up; she hadn't been sure that her imitation of the typical non-Eudaimonian techpriests would work. Why did everyone always seem to expect a stream of wordy abuse from them? She couldn't get anything done by trying to just talk to these Imperial people, and yet the second she starts using terminology that flies right over their heads, they immediately give her precisely what she wanted. Sometimes she felt like this whole galaxy had gone completely insane.

Once she familiarizes herself with the new weapon, she stops by the nearest workshop to pick up S1891, who'd needed routine maintenance on his servo-arm to ensure it was working properly. An equipment failure while trying to repair something in combat would be bad. From there, she goes looking for the rest of the squad. It'd be nice to get to know some of them, and she might be able to win their trust by performing a few minor modifications to their weaponry. It was always a good idea to make sure the people defending you actually liked you.

Spending 450 xp to pick up Trade (Armorer), Commerce, and the Servo-Arm advance for my servitor, banking the last 50.

Commerce vs 47: 39, QM's opposed roll is a 56 vs 30.

PC Hot-Shot Lasgun vs 55 (15 -20 Rare +30 Front Modifiers +20 Poor Craftsmanship +10 Commerce): 51

Errata says that the +20 Trade (Armorer) tests to add Customizations to weapons take 15 minutes (or more by GM fiat). If you're willing to take the fairly small (on a 77+) risk of me breaking your gear and making you go get a new one from the depot, hit me up. I can probably do 2-4 customizations over the course of the downtime, depending on what you want.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 9, 2016

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Pedro Zamorra

The rest of the men continued to fire into the Archenemy and succeeded. As the dust settled, Lothar and Pedro would have respect for each other that only trial through combat can generated. Pedro pulled out a lho-stick from his pack and offered one to Lothar as a way of saying thanks.

Still, he was left in command with Lothar's armsman as the CO of the group had to go. With his confidence raised through battle, he turned to the men, "Ok, we got a brief respite, I want a unit health check. Make sure anyone that is wounded gets properly cared for. Anyone else, if you got smokes, take some. And keep frosty!"

As they got relieved, the men headed out to meet the command squad and receive their orders. Pedro asked the CO about the assignment, "Sir, as I assume the area between the core generators and the secondary engine rooms are massive. We are going to encounter friendly forces too who might be disoriented and disorganized. Do you want us to rally them and aid us in our mission or have them stick put in their respective areas as we clear the area of hostiles?"

Pedro went down with the men to get their mission critical stuff and see if he can acquire a hotshot lasgun. As he was waiting in line to speak with the quartermaster, Luna came up to notify him of her recent acquisition. It was a case of amasec and enough lho-sticks to last a campaign in Armageddon. Pedro nodded and thanked Luna for her initiative.

After the quartermaster told Pedro he couldn't have the weapon still, the sergeant began to let him know how one could calm their nerves with a nice bottle of amasec. He pulled open the cap of it and let the smell of fine alcohol permeate in the air. It was clearly intended for higher rank officers as it had a nice aroma. "I guess this'll make sure you won't end up blind unlike the stuff you get from the ratings." The QM looked at it and seemed to accept it.

Acquiring Hotshot Lasgun against a 35: 1d100 44

Fellowship Test bribing QM with Amasec <45: 1d100 64

Rerolling by spending a fatepoint

Fellowship Test bribing QM with Amasec <45: 1d100 13

Oh wow, 4 degrees of success. I figure I make it on my acquisition test then and the party gets a bonus on their situational acquisition modifier?
FP is 2/3

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Sometimes the Emperor smiles upon the faithful. When Serafina made a run back to the quartermaster to pick up the mission kit for this upcoming fight, she was surprised when two additional crates were assigned to her. However she knew from long practice to just accept the crates with a smooth nod and push them back toward the squad on the small dolly, at least until out of sight. What she sees when she cracks them open nearly staggers her. She was rich. Richer than she could ever imagine.

One crate was full to the brim of fresh, pure lho stick packs.

The other crate was a case of officer quality amesac. And the best part, it was in her name. There was no one coming looking for it. Hell she could use one of these to smooth over things with those ratings, and make the whole rest of the trip much easier.

She wouldn't do that, of course. But she could. The real prize here was the bargaining power.

I rolled some incredible things on our Mission Assignment roll, and so we got some extra stuff. A case of lho sticks, and a case of Amesac.

We have 144 packs of 20 lho sticks. Each one used will give a +2 bonus to an acquisition roll, since we're bribing the guy.
For now, let's say we're splitting them evenly. 8 people, everyone has 18 packs of these to try and use as bribes.
I'll be using my stash of these here because I just had a cool idea I want to run with.

We have 11 bottles of amesac left. Each one used gives +10 to an acquisition roll. We don't have to use them right now, but they're there.
Same thing, everyone has 1. That'll leave us with 4 left over in the squad pool for if we need something big later on.

After distributing the unexpected blessing to the squad, Serafina packs up her share of the stash and makes her way back to the armory. She doesn't feel the need to change her weapon from the long-las, but she figures she might as well help out as she can. However after shifting around through the crates to start cleaning some guns she discovers a pistol, carelessly thrown in during the pack-up to leave. Her eyes glance over it at first, but a bit of color catches her attention. She puts down the lasgun she was going to work on and slowly picks up the gun. The crest was covered in grime and oil, but she takes a rag and slowly wipes it away, scarcely believing her eyes.

The Aleksandr crest, like her elder mother had always described! This was clearly a very old weapon, collected from some forgotten battlefield back home. An officer's laspistol, clearly. She takes it to the quartermaster and requests it - she instinctively offers the whole of her lho stick stash, not even trying to negotiate. Apparently the old quartermaster was overwhelmed by this display, and signed the forms without another word. She took the pistol with her and began to clean and ready it. As she did she started to remember the stories her Elder-mother told her - strained to remember them, stories that she had ignored or brushed off before. Now she devoted her mind to remembering, burning them into her memory - wondering if this pistol had been there for those stories of her family's past...

Had an idea, decided to run with it. Going to go ahead and use all my Lho sticks to try and get an Emperor's Will laspistol, fluffed to be Home Materials with her family crest.

Emperor's Will (15 + 40 (log. mod) + 36 (x18 packs) - 30 (VR) = TN 61: 1d100 39

Going to be spending my XP to try and get to versatile shooter now.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Medic Midge Kraken

After shamefully panicking at the sight of Chaos Space Marines coming to kill her, Midge is relieved that they're actually only coming to kill a squad mate, which gives her an opportunity to do some work.

It looks terribly gory, but with some some disinfectant, coagulant and suturing to seal the wound and a prayer to steel his soul, Armando should be good as new.

A few strong words with the QM about 'purging the unclean' and 'righteous fire' got her a Flamer, which probably isn't a standard shipboard weapon, but who argues with something with a flamer?

Medicae first aid on Armando: 1d100 15 vs 75 (47 INT +10 Medicae +20 Medikit) :clint:

quote:

To perform first aid, a character must make a Challenging (+0) Medicae Test, with a –10 penalty if his patient is
Heavily Damaged or a –10 penalty for every point of Critical Damage that his patient is currently suffering from if he
is Critically Damaged. If he succeeds, he removes an amount of Damage from his patient equal to his Intelligence Bonus
plus one additional point of Damage per Degree of Success the healer scores on the Test (removing Critical Damage
before normal Damage).

If he's Lightly Wounded from being sawed in half by an angry spaceman, that's 11 Wounds healed.
If he's Heavily Wounded, that's 10.

Acquisition: Flamer
Acquisition - Flamer: 1d100 9 vs 30 (40 -10 Scarce) :toot:

Learning Weapon Training (Flame) for 300xp

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 14, 2016

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Armando is now at 11/14 wounds going into this next mission. Just FYI IIRC he can't be patched up again until 24 hours is up per RAW, apart from staunching blood loss. This means it's very possible with the forces I'm gonna throw at you that Armando could be forced to burn fate or possibly even die over the course of this "campaign" which will involve back to back combat missions till the ship crashes down planetside. A simple solution if this happens: your comrade is assumed to have the identical stats as you and a similar history so you can resume play immediately. If your comrade dies, it's time to go back to the drawing board!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Amando will die doing what he loves: Killing Heretics.
Amando Ampelio

It had been years since he hurt like this. Granted, most of them frozen in perpetual, half-conscious agony, but it counted. They were the ones who did it to him last time, too. And the time before that. At least this time there was a medic to patch him up. An actual medic! With sutures! Luxury.

3 shots to the chest. Perfect drat aim, and the monster laughed it off, like always. Wasn't laughing after those shotguns got through with it, that was for sure. His own drat fault for not using the krak rounds; you never really lose those scrounger instincts. Hard to remember that he was in the guard now, that he wasn't making backalley charges out of cut rate promethium still dregs and 2 year old fertilizer. Still, couldn't hurt to try.

---

The flak vest made a satisfying sound when he slapped it down on that little stain of a quartermaster's counter. It made a bit of a point, looking at the gash in bulletproof armor and the matching one on his chest.

"Replace that. And give me a -- no. Forget it." It made even more of a point to see the freshly cleaned out racks. Somebody needed that weapon more than he did. He'd make do.

He always had.

trying to get a hotshot las: 1d100 94
Haha, nope! Looks like it's just grenades for you buddy. Maybe this time I'll remember to use them!

Banking all that juicy xp to get to Breacher faster.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Josiah

Ah, the old aches and pains. Walk it off, old man. You're used to worse every morning. At least you got your heart rate up today. Just have to remember to do extra stretches during PT, is all.

Josiah wanders through the armory trying to spot anything that he might need. Need, mind you, not just want. A plasma rifle would do nicely against the enemy Astartes, but the clerk considers it too many eggs in one basket to have a man with a melta carting around plasma flasks as well. He's already a walking tinderbox with the extra fuel flasks on his belt. Any more and the navy might have to reconsider their honors for the brave guardsmen who risked their lives to protect the ship, for downright stupidity outside of battle if nothing else. Honestly, it's not like they were just handed a weapon and thrown into battle. The Guard trained them all to a high standard. Well, in this regiment, anyway. Josiah had heard some stories about civilians being drafted one day and in battle the next. Surely exaggerations, but the thought did worry him sometimes.

Acquire Plasma Gun vs 25: 1d100 56

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Karl
Starboard Armouries
Sword of Justice

"No, look, it definitely pulls to the left."

Eyes downcast, Karl mumbles his complaints to the quartermaster. They're standing in the heavy ordnance range, used for testing heavy weapons and ship-level munitions. The chatter of autocannons, stubbers and other weapons of war interject constantly into the conversation - even in the midst of an enemy boarding action, there's weapons to sign off as usable. The ratings strip, load and fire as fast as they can, frantically getting weapons out to those who need them.

"Fella, from what I can see it's fine to me." The gnarled man demonstrates; from its fixed mount on the emplacement, Karl's lascannon puts a sequence of holes in the plascrete target downrange with enviable spacing.

"No, it... no, look." The gunner hoists the entire assembly into the air, muscles straining as he deadlifts a not totally insignificant fraction of a tonne, bringing it up into a firing position. Another handful of smoking holes presently make themselves announced in a second target, but this time the clustering does indeed have a bit of a starboard list to it.

The quartermaster spits out a wad of chewing lho into a repurposed ammo can. "Huh."

----

Laden with fresh cells and grenades, Acacia grumbles as she stumps through the corridors after Karl.

"Ol' bastard. Jus' cause he got bent out of shape when you, uh, bent that stand outta shape..."

Karl nods, glumly. His efforts to counteract the percieved bias in his weapon's sights had backfired quite badly - not only has he failed to get hold of a red-dot like he was hoping, but he's been barred from the heavy range for the forseeable future. Well, not to worry - maybe the Enginseer can give his gun a tune-up before he goes to find Sgt Zamorra...

----

let's see - will i get a red-dot sight???

no

welp

:siren: Dachshundofdoom - can you give the lascannon a custom grip, followed by a modified stock if there's time? it's a regimental favoured weapon so should be fine

banking XP, will spend in a couple days

e: bought lasgun volley and lasgun expertise for +1 damage to lascannon blasts (WOO) and -5 to dodge tests for each DoS on my lascannon shots (ACTUAL NON SARCASTIC WOO)

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 18, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Sheila Rhapsode

Sheila nods excitedly to the big man when he asks her to help him with his little aiming problem, eager to poke around at a lascannon.

"Alright, demonstrate your stance behind the weapon. Ah. Oh, I see. No, it's... I've never seen someone who wasn't a cargo servitor just pick one up before, is all. I definitely see your problem though, and I think I know how to fix it. Let me just get some picts, and then I'll get to the workbench, from there..."

Sheila trails off into incomprehensible mumbling as she circles him, taking in his hand and the weapon from every angle with her mechadendrite while she thinks aloud. Once she finishes, S1891 carries the weapon over to the nearest low-traffic workshop station. Not that she was doing anything wrong, but she knew that tight-arse bastards like Rho were always just looking for an excuse to berate and threaten her. She occupies herself during the work with her best impressions of them.

"Ooh, what are you doing, Enginseer: Designation Rhapsode, cease these heretekal actions immediately, <SHUNT SHUNT SHUNT>. That's a sacred artifact of the Omnissiah, how dare you tamper with it, blah blah friggin' blah. It certainly doesn't roll off assembly lines by the thousands! If you continue down this path you will be censured. Yeah, I'll censure YOU, you rust-huffing--"

An overzealous tug stripped the bolt on one of the grips she'd just added. Oops. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with the supplies on hand, but she needed to be a little more careful before she actually broke this thing. Focusing on her work from then on, it doesn't take her long to finish rigging up a little system for the gunner. Whether he realized it or not, Guard lascannons weren't meant to be hefted and shouldered, not like the kind Space Marines used. They were awkward and lacked a consistent, comfortable way to get a grip on them. If you tried to shoulder one like a lasrifle, there was nothing to get a grip on except for smooth metal that would rapidly become slick with sweat. Or you could try grabbing the barrel, but touching the barrel of a freshly fired lascannon was a mistake you only made once. Fixing that involved adding one horizontal grip to the side and a shorter vertical grip to give the rest of the trigger hand something to grip. Now you could actually get a consistent grip on it. Now the only issue was comfort; these things were never meant to be shouldered, and she imagined he probably already had a nasty bruise. By comparison to the grips, it was child's play; she simply welded a curved piece of metal to the back, then bolted on some thick padding made from a "liberated" pillow. It wasn't as pretty as the stock she'd seen on the Emperor's Children lascannon that Magos Zecheriah had kept on display in his workshop back on Eudaimonia, but it was probably more comfortable.

She walks back to Karl and gives S1891 an affirmative blurt of binary; the servitor stiffly places the weapon in the big man's hands and steps back to her side. She gives him a grin (and hoped he was paying attention).

"Alright, that should do it for you. Hold those grips like so, there you go, and let it rest on your shoulder like that, perfect! Now uh, just remember two things: first, you didn't get those mods from me if anybody important asks. Like, say, any grumpy looking Magoses named Rho. If somebody trustworthy wants to know, that's fine, I'm sure you have discriminating tastes in friends and I appreciate the business. Anyway, second: I'm not asking you for pay or anything, but there might come a time when I need help from a big guy with a giant gun, and I'd really really appreciate it if you had my back if I asked for a little help, okay?"

Custom Grip: Trade (Armourer) vs 67: 87

Custom Grip: Trade (Armourer) vs 67 FP Reroll: 45

Modified Stock: Trade (Armorer) vs 67: 11

Enjoy your shiny improved gun!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

While Sheila is taking the better part of the hour to rig up something for Karl, Jayne gets called away to stay behind on the gundeck to support the Navy armsman defending the guns. Around this time, the squad is mustered and begins their foot patrol. For many of you it’s the first time you’ve had to travel around the ship beyond going to the mess hall, the firing range, and your berthing. First thing that comes to mind is how the gently caress do these navy boys figure out where they are. Luckily Sgt Zamorra got a bookmarked dataslate with his orders, with the Imperial Navy’s Voidsman’s handbook preloaded and it opens up immediately to “Compartment Numbering.” Quickly figuring out that the numbers get smaller the closer to the “front” of the ship you are and that any direction where the numbers get farther has to be the right way, you set off single file, all 14 of you making your way to the generatorium on the 6th deck. Starboard Engine control would be on the 10th towards the bottom of the ship. Halfway to the generator the ship is rocked by a series of powerful impacts and sounds of massive explosions carry throughout the ship. Midge, Karl, and Luna end up breaking their noses or otherwise getting banged up as they are thrown about the ship and slam into the bulkheads of the ship, maybe hit their face on a pipe, that sorta thing. Sucks to be you. (1 wound unresisted).

Eventually you make to the central generator and walk past it. It’s a grisly sight to say the least. First thing that catches your eyes is all the blood and bodies scattered all over. Tech Priests and servitors bisected by power weapons, splattered outright by a power fist, or shredded by mass projectile fire. Shell casings just a bit smaller than you were used to seeing shot out of autocannons riddle the deckplate Karl and there’s hundreds of them being swept out to the side by some servitor with a broom. Apparently they represent a hazard to simply walking on this piece of deckplate. Navy Void Masters and techpriests enginseers are trying to deal with various fires around the generator as well as deal with the plasma conduits feeding the inferno. (Everyone takes a +0 fear test unless you have Jaded. It's a non combat situation so -10 to any skill or test that requires concentration. Failure by 3 or more DoF=gain 1d5 Insanity Points)

The rest of 3rd platoon is preparing defensive positions or otherwise are fighting the blaze that's threatening to gut the rest of this section of the ship. As you are walking past, another runner from the Lieutenant intercepts you as you prepare to head past the generatorium and descend deeper in the ship.

“Look it's bad up here, real bad. Lieutenant wants you to take that Magos, Magos Rho or whatever wherever he needs to get those plasma conduits shut down before this burns through more of the ship and then get the whole system online. The faster we can get the void shields back online the better. We pulled the pic feeds from Damage Control, they sent in monsters to kill everyone here. We can’t let them give it another go! Get the void shields up and the magos says these teleport strikes will stop.”

As Magos Rho joins the squad, he gives Sheila a quick stare. If he had a real face anymore he’d prob have a look of disgust but the metal mask betrays no emotion. ”Eudaimonian Guardsman, Greetings. I have been appraised of your current mission and require you to deviate to the auxiliary generatorium located on Deck 8, Frame 69, Compartment…” The magos rattles on with inhuman precision and boredom, almost enough to make you forget you were standing at the scene of a catastrophe..until he pipes up with a bit about …”Traitor Astartes have been reported by Naval Security Unit Helios 9 at the following points.” The Magos produces a dataslate with a deckplan of the ship and points at various points on the highlighted route to the auxiliary generator and starboard engines. “They refused to engage Helios 9 when they were advancing as a platoon but would quickly pounce on any stragglers or detached elements and disappear before any response. Sgt. Zamorra how shall we proceed.”

So this is the planning phase of the patrol with updated intelligence. You have a few complications to deal with. The fact is your mission now takes a newfound importance. Getting Magos Rho to the auxiliary generator is your new Primary Objective and helping him do whatever he needs to do to get the void shields back up. SL Tactica Imperialis would be pretty important here as well as actually thinking on how to tackle this.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 22, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Can we suggest ideas even if we don't have SL tactica?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

professor_curly posted:

Can we suggest ideas even if we don't have SL tactica?

Of course! SL Tactica would cover what a PC might know from formal military schooling but a good idea is always a good idea so talk amongst yourself. If you need me to clarify anything I will within reason. You might wanna leave the generator area first before you do any rolling cause the site of a recent massacre is pretty loving spooky. Doesn't have to be far just literally anywhere you don't have to see the handiwork of obliterators first hand.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Medic Midge Kraken

At the sight of the hellish gore-strewn inferno, Midge feels very spooked. She begins clutching her new flamer with renewed vigour and muttering prayers non-stop while glancing fearfully at every flickering shadow.

Grisly scene fear test: 1d100 95 :supaburn:
Insanity gain: 1d5 1

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Josiaj

The gore splattered around the compartment is sickening, but far worse was done on Eudaimon during and long after the occupation. Roving packs of raiders would do as they pleased to small outskirts communities. They'd often leave behind this kind of display. Not as a warning or a threat, but merely as an example of their depravity. The old man shakes it off and reads over the intel.

"Going in quiet would be the best way. If we get into a firefight with them on even terms, they'll cut us apart. Are there any other passages we can use to flank their position? Or maybe just get right to the generator before they know we're there?"

Fear test vs 30: 1d100 29

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Amando Ampelio

The old gardener stands unperturbed amongst the carnage. This isn't half as bad as the early days of the invasion. Try watching your paradise home burn down, then tell him that some bloody decks matter.

He barely pays the more affected members of the squad a glance. "Shake it off, kids. We have work to do." With a considered pause, he tries his best to reassure the medic: "The fire helps. Once you see where the fear comes from, it's easy to make it go away."

As they turn to the task of facing the enemy again, he adds "I agree. Fighting these animals fair is just asking to die. Best way to kill them is to drag them down a blind alley, and blow it up under their feet. They can't resist chasing prey; put a few rounds in their direction and they'll charge after us like wild dogs."

As he stamps out the stump of his lho, he says "We need a side corridor, with a bend in sprinting distance. Anyone got a map?"

I have resistance(fear), so that's vs 40:fear vs 40: 1d100 5
gently caress yeah Amando, you've seen some poo poo
also it's IED time

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Sheila Rhapsode

Sheila's heart skips an uncomfortable amount of beats when they enter the corridor of slaughter. The intense urge to run away is choked down not by bravery, but rather by a sudden, intense feeling of paranoia. These ships were huge. So many places for them to hide; how would running help here? They'd never really root them all out of here. Decades from now there could be a colony of cultists living in the walls, kidnapping unwary crewmen to recruit or sacrifice them. Nowhere was safe. If she lived long enough to get back to her assigned quarters for sleep, she'd have to weld all the ventilation covers shut, just to be safe. Were all these shadows natural, or was it some foul sorcery to hide the assassins creeping up all around them?

She visibly jumps when the runner suddenly arrives, bearing the worst possible news. Of course they had to defend Rho. Her fear temporarily overshadowed by hatred, she gives the Magos a perfunctory cog-salute, her face stiff and emotionless.

"Greetings, honored Magos Rho. It will be my pleasure to assist you today."

Maybe she'd get lucky and this waste of bionics would get shot, preferably right after they fixed the shields. For now, her only intention was to make sure she stayed as close to the middle of the group as they'd let her. She knew that she could probably outrun everyone else, but there was no chance in hell she was going to say that out loud. They'd want to use her as bait or something, and she had no intention of going out that way. There were probably spies in the maintenance shafts right now, relaying the group's plans back to their dark masters.

Fear vs 30: 83

Insanity Gain: 5, which pushes me to 11, exactly as I'd hoped. On the downside, it means:

Trauma vs 30: 50

Trauma +30: 73, "The character is constantly fearful, seeing danger everywhere, and is extremely jumpy. The character gains a +10 bonus to all Perception-based Tests and is at a –10 penalty to his Willpower for the next 1d5 days."

Traumatized Days: 4

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Pedro Zamorra

Slinging the new hotshot lasgun on his shoulder, leading the men as he makes sense of the dataslate. Upon reaching the area, the carnage didn't phased Pedro at all. Jorge, his comrade, talked to him about how this gruesome scene is a sort of macabre reminder of what it was like growing up back home. Pedro agreed. Smoked his lho stick and got greeted by a runner. Nodding as he received his orders, he told the men to hustle up we got a Magos to talk with. He met up with the Magos and saluted. After hearing all what the Magos had to say, he listened to what the men in his squad were suggesting.

Upon hearing it, he spoke up, "Magos, is there perhaps a maintenance conduit to the area we can use to sneak in? They probably are going to lock down the hallways with heavy gun emplacements and such, so if we can find something within the blueprints they wouldn't have an idea about, we could use it against them." He began to look through the dataslate too on the highlighted areas. On Amando's suggestion, he continued to drag his lho stick and spoke again, "Well, we will need someone who is the fastest in the group to be the bait. And a good area to be a vantage point, too, I'd guess so far the volunteer will run up to the enemy position. Grab their attention and run like hell back to our ambush point. They go after stragglers so it would work. Thankfully, we got a lascannon and several lasguns readied up to greet these would be pursuers." He continued to drag on his lho stick. He saw the twinkle in Amando's eye and noticed he was going to be doing some improvised explosive devices soon. Pedro signaled Amando and tossed him one of his krak grenades to use.

Fear Test with +10 Resist Fear vs 40: 1d100 11

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Magos Rho
"We can indeed use the maintenance conduits. I calculate a 32.6% chance of ambush on our way to the Auxiliary Generatorium compared to using the main passageways. Chance of ambush I've calculated to be....100% in a group of this size. I do not recommend using one of your men as bait unless you are willing to sacrifice that guardsman life. Furthermore the ambush site would have to be particularly close." Magos Rho then goes on in details about the speed of a average human sprinting, accounting for heightened arousal in a fight or flight situation in m/s and the conclusion is quite clear. Only PCs with a Agility Bonus of 6 can match speed with a Power Armoured Astartes, with 7 needed to be able to outrun one. No PC will be able to outlast an Astartes in a chase when fatigue becomes an issue. Slower PCs would require the Acrobatics skill and appropriately cluttered terrain to slow their pursuer down or they are gonna be some psychos lunch. Astartes can enter the maintenance conduits but cannot run through because yo those pauldrons. They would be restricted to full moving through whereas you could run. And their bulk precludes them from fighting effectively so they'll be at penalties to hit you with melee weapons.

"There are a couple of points where we will have to deviate from the maintenance conduits to continue on our mission. We will still have to cross this area." The Magos says as he points to a major 4 way intersection in the ship. "While we may not have to go through the center of the intersection, we would still need to reenter the maintenance conduits on the other side of the passageway from us and the traitors have been doing their best to interdict movement in all directions. There is apparently a squad pinned down there right now and taking heavy casualties. Would you like to listen in on their vox?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
[quote="professor_curly" post="461947015"]

Ok nevermind,
Fear (TN 40 + 10 Resistance): 1d100 90 welp
Insanity: 1d5 1
New Insanity Total: 11, luckily I was already too crazy for this to affect me much.

Luna is nursing a nasty bump on her head from the ship rocking around. The gore surrounding her makes her turn pale, and she tries to walk around the edges of the battlefield for a while, not looking at the slaughter. As she scans the perimeter, she listens to the planning session, and when she hears another squad is pinned down she asks, "Wait, can we go help them? More numbers is better."

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 26, 2016

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

professor_curly posted:

[quote="professor_curly" post="461947015"]

I'll just spend the fate point to avoid the Fear test, since that seems like it would be Bad

Luna is nursing a nasty bump on her head from the ship rocking around. She listens to the planning session, and when she hears another squad is pinned down she asks, "Wait, can we go help them? More numbers is better."

re: the fatepoint Don't you dumbass its a noncombat situation and it ends the moment you GET AWAY FROM ALL THE CARNAGE.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

“Do not deviate from your mission guardsman. Tending to the wounded machine spirit at the heart of the generatorium is of the utmost importance. The ship will be unable to raise its void shields or execute an emergency warp jump should the Captain deem it necessary.” The Magos has a point but as you get a listen to the vox transmission you reckon there has to be something you can do and you figure you could reach them in due time as it's on the way. Maybe not in time to save them but definitely to avenge them.

You gather your gear and head out, leaving the carnage behind and slipping into the maintenance corridors. It's comfortable enough going single file for everyone but the heavy gunner and if you absolutely must there's enough room to squeeze past on the sides to get to the front. The person on point, Luna, has Magos Rho in their ear as he gives instructions on which turns to take and distances to the next passageway with the monotonous precision typical of normal AdMech types. 20 minutes into your patrol the decibel level is amped way way as you start to close in on a firefight. You can see through one of the gratings on your left imperial guardsman fighting and dying. One of the bodies on the deck plate has the same regimental marker as your own. Pounding their fortifications are frag missiles, heavy bolters, and plasma cannon fire from across the way. Around the same time a voice comes across the vox. Josiah recognizes the voice as his old friend Halsey Nimitz. “This is Chief Nimitz, Helios 9-5 to any friendly units receiving, requesting immediate reinforcements to point Gamma. My squad is in deep drek. There's one of them hunting us one by one and the other traitors have us split off from the rest of Helios 9.” Point Gamma, that's the choke point you'll have to cross anyway and you have time if you run for it. But you don't have time to save your own people and make it there before that monster kills Nimitz and his squad. What are you gonna do?

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 12, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Karl Haddon
Ducts
Sword of Justice

Stealth does not come easily to those who carry anti-tank weapons as their primary armament.

"gssnfkkgently caressmtherrfugnkin'PRERS TEETHfumnignninDAMMIT"

Still reeling slightly from the horrorshow left behind him, Karl clangs awkwardly through narrow maintenance tunnels. By definition he's sort of got to take up the rear - if there's anyone behind him, they won't be able to see or fire past him - but Acacia plays rearguard because it's kinda tricky to swing a two-metre lascannon through a hundred and eighty degrees in a metre-wide corridor with no warning.

When the shooting starts, Karl tenses - he's hemmed in like a sardine in this corridor, he can't do anything - and is by definition last to realise what's going on. Once he's up to speed, he clunks the capacitor switch of the lascannon into the "ON" position and makes his best attempt at an urgent yell:

"Orders, sarge?"

Acacia chimes in from the back. "We ditchin' Eudaimonians for Navy brats, or are we cuttin' our way out of this tube and spikin' us some guns? Plasma cannon's heavy ordnance. Lascannon's bad on a ship if he misses-" Karl snorts -"but at least it's focused. Plasma blast hits the wrong cogitator bank, lights go out on four decks, we get fed our teeth by one of them big metal fuckers what see in the dark".

-----

save more guardsmen by going off-piste, or save navy guys by following the mission objective? i say consolidate our Guard forces - anyone who's cut off's probably hosed anyway. plus, plasma cannon; let's all spill out of a chokepoint into a maximal plasma cannon blast!!!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Amando Ampelio

There's a lesson you learn quick, if you want to survive in a place like Eudaimonia. Sometimes, you just lose.

"We gotta stay on mission Sarge. These boys are doing their job, we gotta do ours. We don't get it done, a lot more people are gonna die."

Amando scowls at the naysayers and adds, "None of you forget: this is how we all wanted it. We all want to die fighting, not like animals. You want to let those Navy down the road suffer what we suffered? Or do you want to go teach that animal a lesson? Right now, that thing's having the time of its life."

He point to one of the lascutters. "'Sides, we can cut through the walls. Don't go charging out like kids."

Amando is no stranger to letting go. He says stay on mission.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Josiah

You don't abandon your own. That's not something the Guard drilled into them, it was something learned from home. Too many good people lost to madmen. This is just more of the same. Besides, reinforcements will only help them secure their objective.

"They need us, we go. We need all the help we can get and so do they."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Sheila Rhapsode

Sheila shakes her head violently and takes a few steps away from the grating. She didn't want to head towards either fight, frankly, but the ship was damaged and that had to take priority. Without a functioning ship, they were all dead.

"No, we can't. I don't like leaving anyone to die, but if we stop here, the traitors up ahead will have time to reset their ambush and engage us on their terms. There's too many places for them to hide. We can't let them fade back into the tunnels or we'll all end up dead. We need to keep moving forward. Every second we spend without functioning void shields, more and more traitors will be able to come aboard the ship. The ship has to take priority, I'm sorry, but it has to. Without the ship we all die choking on the void. Those guardsmen are going to die. Let's not let them die for nothing."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Medic Midge Kraken

Midge nods slightly jerkily.

"Sheila is right. A guardsman's life is to die and all that can be hoped is that it's not in vain. We need to get to the objective or the ship's to die like that squad. Bloody monsters. We'll avenge them. Kill every traitor in the system. But not if the ship is lost."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Luna Aleksandr

"Maybe we could cut an exit for them to fall back to a better position before we move on. They're going to die if they stay there, if they can form up somewhere else they might be able to hold on longer."

• Locked thread