Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I likes ome games where you get high scores:
as far as i can tell there are three kinds of high score based games:
-Those based entirely on random events or elements, and you have to adapt to them. There is no predictability involved, just pure on the fly thinking. (tetris, puyo puyo, bejeweled)
-Those that are a fixed challenge, entirely predictable if you bother to learn it, mostly about flawless execution/reproduction (some shmups like ikaruga, where you can know which enemies fire when and where. Rhythm games like GH or bemani. Trackmania)
-And those that have a little bit of both, where you have predictable elements in a randomly generated game (Spelunky, the stages are made out of a discrete set of rooms, in successive layers. You know theres a store somewhere in there. Geometry wars you know that enemies have certain spawn patterns but they can have variance in form, type of enemies or when they spawn. I dont feel these examples are particularly good if you can think of any you can tell me)

what are some of your favorite score attack games, and what are some of your good sciores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
PacMan Championship edition: dx+: Beast of a game. An intense rush as you eat the ghost chain, and the garish colors appeal to me i love it. checked my score im still like 150 in the world and thats with like 100 hacked scores so that makes me pretty much the lord of pacman. unfortunately due to how the game is timed and the tables laid out theres potential for a perfect game and then a score ceiling so i imagine strategizing for scores would be just finding the optimal route and trying to do it flawlessly. ghosts move around in what appears to be random ways but if you play the same every time the ghosts will go the same place. It's so fun that i dont really care it can be aced.

Luftrausers: really really fun and i like the simplicity of controls, but its way too rng dependant to get a good score, and not in a good way. I can go in depth but i doubt many would care. like 1900 in global scoreaboards. again the game is so fun that it doesnt really matter that truly good scores are random, and i can play for hours hoping to see an ace submarine.

Geometry wars: Oh baby. game owns holy poo poo game wons which leads me to

Geometry wares 3: 3d crazy stages O_O. Many bitch about the geoms in this but i think its fine in geowars 1 you could kite enemies and just shoot backwards, so now there's an incentive to risk dying by retreading ground where enemies could be chasing. Still i think the better strat in geowars 1 was to shoot forwards to clear a path by the time things became too hectic so idk. I like both a lot. (If you jhave this game please tell me i only ever seenlike 3 friends in the leaderboards and i beat them pretty consistently)

TRACKMANIA!!!: more like time trials but the idea of improving your own "score" is still there so im including it besides it's loving badass. Almost literally no rng. If you can do a track consistently you will, and variety comes from user created tracks rather than random disposition of game elements on the fly, each with their own leaderboards. Addictive as hell, and going at mnach speed through 5 loop de loops into a wallride never gets old.

Bejewewled 3: i know im gonna get a looot of poo poo from the pimpsquad here, but the mode where you have a timer and have to make chains REALLY fast to get bonus points is such a good time i dont give a poo poo!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i should get geometry wars 3 instead of playing 1 game of the orignal a year

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Geometry wars edit nevermind op you covered that one already I guess like Rez or something

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Where do Guitar Hero / Rock Band (and to a lesser extent I guess Stepmania or whatever) games fit into this spectrum?

I've never gotten much into rhythm games but Guitaroo Man was always a fun one to try and learn and perfect.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bill Barber posted:

Where do Guitar Hero / Rock Band (and to a lesser extent I guess Stepmania or whatever) games fit into this spectrum?

I've never gotten much into rhythm games but Guitaroo Man was always a fun one to try and learn and perfect.

its in the op

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I've been attacking scores of vicious enemies in Dark Souls 3 OP.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

the binding of isaac is a very cool score attack game with its daily runs

you can score a lot of points either by beating it very quickly, or exploring every inch without going overboard. they usually give you set-ups for very broken item combinations if you poke around enough.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
what about timed leader boards ? i assume they count cos u said trackmania. anyway n++ comes to mind. actually i guess thats somewhere between a timed game and a score game.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
racing sims too. project cars has leader boards for each track and car combo as well as car class (something like 2000+ separate leaderboards). i suppose thats kind of getting away from the point though

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
crash bandicoot 3 has relics which you have to time trial for. plus developer times which are really hard to beat

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like how Parappa and Um Jammer Lammy did it, where doing well enough on a song gives you a temporary freestyle mode. I don't recall if they had actual scores, but it was a cool way to measure success in a rhythm game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Katamari games in the levels where you have to get as swole as possible

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Katamari games in the levels where you have to get as swole as possible

these are the best, the ps3 one has the entire solar system and that is the actual best. probably why they aren't releasing katamari games anymore.

OEA TaleSpin
Oct 18, 2007

I've sunk a ton of time lately into Downwell. Dirt cheap on steam and worth every penny.

Been looking for a good new shmup but I don't feel like spending $50 on the new Darius game, even though it's probably worth it to me.

Also Super Hexagon on pc or mobile.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Metal Slug 3 and X are big score attack games for me. Because you get such a huge bonus for saving a bunch of prisoners without dying every stage is intense if you care about score.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Resogun is still maybe my most played PS4 game

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

devil daggers is a score attack game and it is good

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
VANQUISH

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

PacMan Championship edition: dx+: Beast of a game. An intense rush as you eat the ghost chain, and the garish colors appeal to me i love it. checked my score im still like 150 in the world and thats with like 100 hacked scores so that makes me pretty much the lord of pacman. unfortunately due to how the game is timed and the tables laid out theres potential for a perfect game and then a score ceiling so i imagine strategizing for scores would be just finding the optimal route and trying to do it flawlessly. ghosts move around in what appears to be random ways but if you play the same every time the ghosts will go the same place. It's so fun that i dont really care it can be aced.

Luftrausers: really really fun and i like the simplicity of controls, but its way too rng dependant to get a good score, and not in a good way. I can go in depth but i doubt many would care. like 1900 in global scoreaboards. again the game is so fun that it doesnt really matter that truly good scores are random, and i can play for hours hoping to see an ace submarine.

Geometry wars: Oh baby. game owns holy poo poo game wons which leads me to

Geometry wares 3: 3d crazy stages O_O. Many bitch about the geoms in this but i think its fine in geowars 1 you could kite enemies and just shoot backwards, so now there's an incentive to risk dying by retreading ground where enemies could be chasing. Still i think the better strat in geowars 1 was to shoot forwards to clear a path by the time things became too hectic so idk. I like both a lot. (If you jhave this game please tell me i only ever seenlike 3 friends in the leaderboards and i beat them pretty consistently)

TRACKMANIA!!!: more like time trials but the idea of improving your own "score" is still there so im including it besides it's loving badass. Almost literally no rng. If you can do a track consistently you will, and variety comes from user created tracks rather than random disposition of game elements on the fly, each with their own leaderboards. Addictive as hell, and going at mnach speed through 5 loop de loops into a wallride never gets old.

Bejewewled 3: i know im gonna get a looot of poo poo from the pimpsquad here, but the mode where you have a timer and have to make chains REALLY fast to get bonus points is such a good time i dont give a poo poo!

I loving love CE DX, even though I play the exact same board every time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

After recently getting into cave shmups, it's really cool to me that the different difficulties change not only enemy placement and bullet patterns, but also change how the scoring works, so harder difficulties have higher point ceilings. That's clever and indicative of how much thought goes into every aspect of the design of the levels

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Once you achieve the highest grade in Tetris the grand master it becomes a time attack game.

I recently got 2/3 of the way to GM in death mode in TGM2.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i really liked trying for all 300 hit S ranks in the ouendan/EBA games. Recently I've been trying to crack the, "world leaderboard" for amplitude (ps4)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i like to score attack in Star Fox 64, the secret technique of "charged unlocked shot" is very powerful and satisfying to do

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

spelunky is the worst score game of all time.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

spelunky is the worst score game of all time.

ghostrunning absolutely killed dailies for me

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Luftrausers is most excellent and it's a shame they haven't ported it to PS4 like the Hotline Miami folks did

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I typically enjoy score attacks where you either have to go fast or milk a set stage for points, I don't like 'survive as long as possible' score attacks as the better you get at them, the more time you have to spend on them.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

trying to do super monkey ball as fast as possible

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

No Such Thing posted:

I typically enjoy score attacks where you either have to go fast or milk a set stage for points, I don't like 'survive as long as possible' score attacks as the better you get at them, the more time you have to spend on them.

agreed

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

julian assflange posted:

Luftrausers is most excellent and it's a shame they haven't ported it to PS4 like the Hotline Miami folks did

Oh yeah I want to play that again:.. I never unlocked the last trophy/final mode but I know if it was on PS4 I could do it now because I'm a stronger gamer than I was 2 years ago

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

goferchan posted:

Oh yeah I want to play that again:.. I never unlocked the last trophy/final mode but I know if it was on PS4 I could do it now because I'm a stronger gamer than I was 2 years ago

Same I never fullfilled my potential on PS3, according to my mentor

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

ghostrunning absolutely killed dailies for me

stuff like that that makes the game unfun because of how you have to manipulate score is lame

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
I think Arkham City had the best challenge rooms of all the batmans. Some of the predator moves you had to do super quick were fun as gently caress. The combat was just always needing to be perfect to get the mondo scores, which was compelling to a bad gamer like me.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

julian assflange posted:

its a good game but the way to get scores is not very good imho imo imho

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ArfJason posted:

its a good game but the way to get scores is not very good imho imo imho

the combo timer is way too short

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

it's because the enemy selection is randomized. you've got a lot more score potential if the game just happens to not spawn battleships, since things like aces, subs, and small boats are so much easier to kill. and in general poo poo takes up spawn spots for the tiny planes that you need to keep combos going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

lesbian baphomet posted:

it's because the enemy selection is randomized. you've got a lot more score potential if the game just happens to not spawn battleships, since things like aces, subs, and small boats are so much easier to kill. and in general poo poo takes up spawn spots for the tiny planes that you need to keep combos going

yeah it has like 30 enemy spawn slots, and the guaranteed way to get a really good score going is to kill an ace submarine (the one that shoots two streams of bullets) while at 20x combo. If you only keep getting regular battleships or boats you will most likely run out of small planes to keep the chain and you most definitely can't kill a battleship in a single combo timer unless you get lucky with the cannon's shrapnel. Ace subs are also incredibly rare and since their points are such a massive quantity it's very very difficult to reach 20 times that by just killing boats and planes

• Locked thread