Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Bungou Stray Dogs
Bones | Igarashi, Takuya | Mystery, Seinen, Supernatural | Apr 7, 2016
Nakajima Atsushi was kicked out of his orphanage, and now he has no place to go and no food. While he is standing by a river, on the brink of starvation, he rescues a man whimsically attempting suicide. That man is Dazai Osamu, and he and his partner Kunikida are members of a very special detective agency. They have supernatural powers and deal with cases that are too dangerous for the police or the military. They're tracking down a tiger that has appeared in the area recently, around the time Atsushi came to the area. The tiger seems to have a connection to Atsushi, and by the time the case is solved, it is clear that Atsushi's future will involve much more of Dazai and the rest of the detectives!
Links:

Based on a novel and manga series, this show features characters based very loosely on literary figures -- primarily Japanese, but some later characters are based on Western authors as well. Each character has an "ability" that gives them a special power and the basis for the name and characteristics of their ability comes from that author's work. Bungo Stray Dogs will have two 12-episode seasons with the second season airing this fall.

:siren: SEASON TWO POSTS START HERE :siren:

Armed Detective Agency

Nakajima Atsushi Beast beneath the Moon
Dazai Osamu No Longer Human
Kunikida Doppo Lone Poet
Yosano Akiko Thou shalt not Die
Edogawa Ranpo Super Deduction
Miyazawa Kenji Undefeated by the Rain
Tanizaki Junichirou Light Snow
Fukuzawa Yukichi All Men are Equal (not pictured)
Tanizaki Naomi (not pictured)

Port Mafia

Akutagawa Ryunosuke Rashomon
Kajii Motojirou Lemon Bombs
Izumi Kyouka Demon Snow
Nakahara Chuya For the Tainted Sorrow
Higuchi Ichiyo

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Characters listed are the ones on the cast list so far; I swiped the names and abilities from this thread on Batoto (click at your own risk re: spoilers) so they may not exactly match the Crunchyroll subs.
I'd like to let a few more characters get introduced then I'll put together (i.e. steal from somewhere) some details on who everyone is based on and what their ability is referring to.

In the meantime, I stole some gifs from tumblr:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 24, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

This is a good show and I will post gifs once I start making them

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So why are they named after famous authors? is there a point to that or is it just to generate interest without any payoff?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ccs posted:

So why are they named after famous authors? is there a point to that or is it just to generate interest without any payoff?

They're all loosely (very, very loosely) based on various authors -- as in mostly just names and a few characteristics -- and the abilities are based on their works. That's about all there is to it. I'm not really sure what kind of point you'd be looking for?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

It's just a fun theme that the author decided to use. You see it every so often, like the Black Clover guy's previous work was a battle manga where everyone's powers were based off famous scientists and thinkers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nobunagun did the same thing

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I think I'll just follow for the stylish animation and still no real idea how the plot works v:v:v

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bungo Stray Dogs: Dan Brown Is A Stand User

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought Margaret Mitchell's was really cool tbh and wish she'd had more focus. Don't think the first season of the anime will be getting to any of those guys though, they're probably 2nd season material.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm excited for the guy in the OP holding a lemon

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

i'm excited for the guy in the OP holding a lemon

:yeah:
He's a lot of fun!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol

more stuff

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks, HQ fanart incoming :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

Thanks, HQ fanart incoming :3:
yay!
I was prowling through the tag on pixiv this afternoon and found a bunch but was too lazy to try and organize it for an art dump so it may just linger in my pixiv bookmarks forever. There's quite a bit, plus all the really nice official art from the novel covers and whatnot.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I thought Margaret Mitchell's was really cool tbh and wish she'd had more focus. Don't think the first season of the anime will be getting to any of those guys though, they're probably 2nd season material.

Yeah, reading the manga I'm more interested in the foreigners, maybe because I actually recognise the writers. HP Lovecraft's power is straight out of Bloodborne, too.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ahh Dazai is extremely cute, I love him! I'd watch a lot of him just messing with Kunikida :3: I hope the sister is a recurring character too, I like her voice actor and her squeaky voice :)

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
The icon for this thread made me laugh.

This show is good so far and I hope it will remain good. :allears:

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I stumbled across this on CR and watched it not knowing what to expect. Then when drowning guy introduced himself as Dazai Osamu I knew things were gonna be weird. Does not disappoint.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, this kid really can't catch a break.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Huh, wasn't expecting the sudden escalation to ultra-violence.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ep 3 was pretty dumb and is one of those cases where injuries inflicted aren't even close to what they should have been, but ep 2 earned a lot of goodwill for me so I'll keep trying this out.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

:swoon: so cute

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:neckbeard: Port Mafia!

I kinda wish they hadn't gone the light show route with abilities because Dazai jumping between them and everything just stops is more effective in the manga. I also prefer the way Tanizaki's ability is more subtle in the manga although the Matrix-ish thing they went with for the anime is kinda cool.

Ultra-violence is the tone of the source material although it's not super gorey (there's blood and people getting pretty messed up but no guts and giblets I mean). The anime has lightened things up considerably thus far so I hope those watching don't get too much tone whiplash because it's pretty much gonna be fights from here out now that the villains and plot have kicked in.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ok made some very minor updates to the OP and put some gifs in the second post, hopefully now it's slightly more informative and convincing to watch!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Is Yukio mishima gonna be on this show

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is Yukio mishima gonna be on this show

As far as I can tell he hasn't been turned into a character in any of the source material so no. Not really sure what their criteria is for picking people, he might be too controversial? The author/their estate has to consent as well so there may be a bunch of people they wanted to use for characters and couldn't get permission.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 24, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dazai's estate really has a sense of humor, i suppose

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

This episode was kind of meandering, but I think we're past the oh no, what do I do??? hump at least

The next episode is lookin' good though

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Since he's not listed in the OP, the old guy with the Black Lizard group is Ryurou Hirotsu and his ability is "Falling Camellia" which causes things he touches to fly back with immense force. The author he's based on created the tragic novel genre in Japanese literature :eng101:

And yeah, Atsushi is pretty much done running away now and is ready to actually start working.
Next episode should be pretty fun :3:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

still watching the ep, but it strikes me as odd that Rampo is a member of the Armed Detective Agency while the Black Lizard division of Port Mafia could be seen as a reference to real-life Rampo's story "The Black Lizard"

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright y'all I'm doing some half-assed internet research because I know jack poo poo about Japanese literature but can at least provide some wikipedia links. I'm going to do this in pieces because :effort: and so that I don't get too far ahead of who and what the show has introduced.

Atsushi Nakajima is based on Atsushi Nakajima (1909 - 1942) and his ability "Beast Beneath the Moonlight," which gives him a badass weretiger form and super regeneration, is a reference to The Moon over the Mountain, an anthology of tales based on Chinese legends and more specifically the story "The Tiger Man" about a bureaucrat who turns into a tiger.

Osamu Dazai, based on Osamu Dazai (1909 - 1948), has the ability "No Longer Human" which nullifies others' abilities. The ability is a reference to the 1948 novel by the same name which tells the story of "a troubled man incapable of revealing his true self to others, and who is instead forced to uphold a facade of hollow jocularity." Dazai aattempted suicide multiple times through his life and died shortly before his 39th birthday in a double suicide with his lover.

Doppo Kunikida is based on poet and novelist Doppo Kunikida (1871 - 1908) and his ability is "Doppo Poetry" which causes the objects written in his notebook to appear in real life. The ability's name is a reference to a collection of poems, Doppo Gin. Kunikida taught English, math, and history and is considered one of the inventors of Japanese naturalism.

Junichirou Tanizaki is based on Jun'ichiro Tanizaki (1886 - 1965) and has the ability "Light Snow" which creates snowfall in the immediate area and allows him to project illusions. The ability is a reference to Tanizaki's novel Sasameyuki which was published in English as The Makioka Sisters because they gave up on trying to accurately translate the meaning of the title, which means roughly "lightly falling snow" or "a light snowfall" but also suggests cherry blossom petals falling in spring. His sister Naomi is a reference to another novel by Tanizaki, Chijin no Ai (A Fool's Love) which was published in English as Naomi and is about a guy who grooms a teenage girl to be his perfect Western wife until she turns the tables and starts dominating him. Tanizaki worked as a script writer for silent films, so the character's ability involving the projection of illusions is probably also a nod to that.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Everything Burrito posted:

Alright y'all I'm doing some half-assed internet research because I know jack poo poo about Japanese literature but can at least provide some wikipedia links. I'm going to do this in pieces because :effort: and so that I don't get too far ahead of who and what the show has introduced.

Atsushi Nakajima is based on Atsushi Nakajima (1909 - 1942) and his ability "Beast Beneath the Moonlight," which gives him a badass weretiger form and super regeneration, is a reference to The Moon over the Mountain, an anthology of tales based on Chinese legends and more specifically the story "The Tiger Man" about a bureaucrat who turns into a tiger.

Osamu Dazai, based on Osamu Dazai (1909 - 1948), has the ability "No Longer Human" which nullifies others' abilities. The ability is a reference to the 1948 novel by the same name which tells the story of "a troubled man incapable of revealing his true self to others, and who is instead forced to uphold a facade of hollow jocularity." Dazai aattempted suicide multiple times through his life and died shortly before his 39th birthday in a double suicide with his lover.

Doppo Kunikida is based on poet and novelist Doppo Kunikida (1871 - 1908) and his ability is "Doppo Poetry" which causes the objects written in his notebook to appear in real life. The ability's name is a reference to a collection of poems, Doppo Gin. Kunikida taught English, math, and history and is considered one of the inventors of Japanese naturalism.

Junichirou Tanizaki is based on Jun'ichiro Tanizaki (1886 - 1965) and has the ability "Light Snow" which creates snowfall in the immediate area and allows him to project illusions. The ability is a reference to Tanizaki's novel Sasameyuki which was published in English as The Makioka Sisters because they gave up on trying to accurately translate the meaning of the title, which means roughly "lightly falling snow" or "a light snowfall" but also suggests cherry blossom petals falling in spring. His sister Naomi is a reference to another novel by Tanizaki, Chijin no Ai (A Fool's Love) which was published in English as Naomi and is about a guy who grooms a teenage girl to be his perfect Western wife until she turns the tables and starts dominating him. Tanizaki worked as a script writer for silent films, so the character's ability involving the projection of illusions is probably also a nod to that.

Awesome! Thanks for this :) going to have to catch up on this next week

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, it makes sense for his character, but man do I not want to see that orphanage flashback again.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I mean, it makes sense for his character, but man do I not want to see that orphanage flashback again.

I'm really hoping this episode dealt enough with his insecurity about belonging or being a danger to his new home enough that the flashback won't come up again

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I like this show, but goddamn they are like 4 flashbacks or more way over the number they actually needed. The audience isn't that loving stupid.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/charaani_jsb/status/722268823345213441
their butts :3:

I'll do another set of reference links after I finally watch episode 5, was too busy to watch it last week and now my internet is too poo poo to stream anything :negative:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dang I was really hoping there would have been a reaction or two to episode 5, I've been trying really hard not to spoil anything about Ranpo and now I'm not sure whether or not everyone has seen it and doesn't give a poo poo or just not watched it yet.

Episode 6 is an adaption of some material from one of the prequel light novels. I was really confused for a sec because all the others have been pretty straight-up 1 ep/1 chapter adaptions (well ep. 4 mashed together 2 chapters but it was one arc) and was really hoping they hadn't decided to pad things with original content, but it looks like they're going to pull from the novels to stretch the pacing out a bit. I'm only 6 minutes into the episode but it was driving me crazy not knowing where this was adapated from so I had to pause and look it up haha.

Anyway adapting the novels works for me -- better than pulling a BBB and getting anime-only content and I'd rather watch this than read a ln fan translation although that one I linked is decently readable.

e: lol @ Dazai on shrooms channeling Berg Katze

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 12, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I've been watching but it seems like maybe this is going to be one of those shows that just doesn't provoke a whole lot of discussion. I thought the twists in the episode about Rampo were pretty well done. I like the idea of having a "normal" person who is just so frighteningly observant and intelligent that it's easier for most people, including himself, to believe he has supernatural powers.

Edit: So I hear that foreign authors eventually start showing up in the books. Care to share how Steinbeck ends up shaking out, since the anime probably won't get that far?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Making my way up to episode 5 (currently stopped on episode 4). Series is overall really good and faithful to what I've seen in the manga. Only gripe I have is with the light show attached to abilities now, it just looks off and is really jarring on abilities like "No Longer Human" and "Falling Camellia" which are really discrete touch abilities.

• Locked thread