Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Space Flower posted:

I always do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

One day water will be great, and that day will not be today.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
is water not good now? I was planning on making an alt water grid because soloing Leviathan is pretty easy for my team now. I also happen to have Katalina, lily, and Xmas arulu :V

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Water is the weakest element right now but the game has been rapidly moving into penalizing you for not bringing the advantageous element to a fight so if you can farm him easy go for it, you'll find a use for a water grid after this event anyway because fire guild wars is likely to be after the next one in March.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
Also, the relative strength of elements is more important for MVP damage racing than it is for solo content. A good water grid will still do just fine in letting you farm event bosses and magnas.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Happiness posted:

I guess I should get around to asking for an invite then. ID: 10700104

I FOUND YOU.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

JTDistortion posted:

Also, the relative strength of elements is more important for MVP damage racing than it is for solo content. A good water grid will still do just fine in letting you farm event bosses and magnas.

Waterlord here. Confirming that even though people consider it bottom of the meta, water can still do pretty much everything in the game. The Altair 5* giving easy access to water ATK up and water RES down helped a bit.

Also nobody is laughing right now. Even with a strong water grid this event is such a dumb grind.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The weirdest thing about the event for me is the suggestion you're supposed to build against the elemental square, not with it. You'd normally expect that a fire player's first concentrated effort towards a second element would either be wind - because it's an easier grind - or earth - to cover their weakness to water. If you wanna finish that grid off, though, time to get cracking on water instead.

(hello I am super salty that I'm in that sweet spot where I've just finished an SL10 magna fire grid but have gently caress all in other elements. I got one scythe through dumb luck and that's it for me)

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
the true enemy isn't the elemental grid, its the rng

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Blhue posted:

the true enemy isn't the elemental grid, its the rng

This. I can beat EX and 70NM Ifrit with my water grid that is literally a 0* Slvl 1 Levi dagger and 9 statsticks but it took me 21 runs of EX to get the nightmare to spawn.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can beat EX and NM easily enough with my Dark grid, but the reduced damage just tires me out.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

I can beat EX and NM easily enough with my Dark grid, but the reduced damage just tires me out.

Yeah - the difficulty of the event is in the tedium. Even with a wind grid the extreme and 70 nm aren't hard in the sense of "can't beat without elixir". It's more that I need to actually press buttons and pay attention or i get killed. It would be a very different story if I had a skilled up water grid that could blow up the extreme in 2 minutes with auto attack, even if in the end it would cost me about the same number of pots/berries.

The big mistake cygames made was not warning the players that the GW element resist was coming to this event. I would have used my magnafest fodder supply very differently had I known this was coming in advance.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Stelas posted:

The weirdest thing about the event for me is the suggestion you're supposed to build against the elemental square, not with it. You'd normally expect that a fire player's first concentrated effort towards a second element would either be wind - because it's an easier grind - or earth - to cover their weakness to water. If you wanna finish that grid off, though, time to get cracking on water instead.

(hello I am super salty that I'm in that sweet spot where I've just finished an SL10 magna fire grid but have gently caress all in other elements. I got one scythe through dumb luck and that's it for me)

This contradiction has been around for awhile, and I twigged onto it when I was first breaking into Omega fights - I had started water, but the same-element penalty was giving me loads of grief when I tried to solo mvp Levi because I couldn't land any debuffs. I couldn't really handle Ygg either because all I had was a water grid! So if I wanted to take advantage of elemental advantage for building my grid I basically had to go backwards across the elements. Or go Light/Dark, which is what I ended up doing. This wasn't so bad before this point, because you had other options for progressing your grid (pendants, leeching raids, guaranteed host chests). With this Xeno it's Element Advantage Or gently caress Right Off.

Frankly the easiest fix for this would have been to remove the 50% cut for Fire in this event and leave everything else in place. That'd still piss a bunch of people off, but it would be a happy medium between encouraging multiple elements and supporting the one element this event is technically supposed to be for in the first place. Hopefully that is what they'll do for subsequent Xenos.

NJ Deac posted:

Yeah - the difficulty of the event is in the tedium. Even with a wind grid the extreme and 70 nm aren't hard in the sense of "can't beat without elixir". It's more that I need to actually press buttons and pay attention or i get killed. It would be a very different story if I had a skilled up water grid that could blow up the extreme in 2 minutes with auto attack, even if in the end it would cost me about the same number of pots/berries.

One of the reasons I decided to not seriously pursue this event is remembering how long it took to farm drops from other Extreme level fights in other events, when in those fights I could blitz my way through in like 30 seconds yet Extremes take 2-3 minutes each here.

I will say that the actually fights themselves aren't that bad and I had a decent time figuring out where to push damage, and eat attacks, and how to build a party that could hit the trigger points safely. That was fun. Unfortunately with GBF what is fun the first time maybe isn't as fun the 100th time and you just want to hit buttons and collect your reward at that point.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah, I can't say i have a problem with the content itself since I've never been a grindbig fan myself so I'm not really judging. There's probably plenty of high-level players who want the game to continue challenging them and you could say this is for them, especially considering the reward value of that crazy new 4th-level skill.

the main criticism I can think of is that content with this restrictive of a power floor, does not need an event period—Xeno primals should be rotational showdowns like their counterparts. even speaking as a fire main who's had the time to build usable grids for every element, I don't think I have it in me for this one. Compared to Pinya Axe farming, with reliable drop rates, Extremes you could just auto if you had a good earth grid, and the nightmare mats only being used for uncap mats, this one is insane. It expects a density of attention per hour that I can't give to a mobage. GW is an exception because it's social/competitive.

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 19, 2017

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

they went a bit too far when they started designing content for you to spend ALL of your free time playing GBF

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
So based on the great advice from this thread, I'm going to hold off on starting my account until that Legfest starts, but sure enough, got a few more questions!

I've been looking at the Wind SSRs, and as far as teams go, is the idea to shoot for something like Korwa - Leica - Arriet and then whatever for an attacker (I was thinking Yuicis, since, if I understand correctly, she could tank in defensive stance until all my buffs are up and running then switch to offensive and just murder everything)? Also, would it make sense to try and shoot for Korwa and the other support characters first and use something like the starting character?

There's currently no way to get Andira at the moment, even with a start-dash ticket right? I'd need to wait for an event where she's available again to be able to get her from a ticket?

Also I made a throwaway account to mess around with a bit since it would be silly to do all this and find out I don't like the game. Somebody had mentioned that new players get something that gives them a choice of SSRs from a small pool, but I haven't seen anything like that, just a free premium draw. Am I missing something?

Thanks again for all the help!

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

they went a bit too far when they started designing content for you to spend ALL of your free time playing GBF

More time on granblue is less time on fire emblem.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Silvergun1000 posted:

I've been looking at the Wind SSRs, and as far as teams go, is the idea to shoot for something like Korwa - Leica - Arriet and then whatever for an attacker (I was thinking Yuicis, since, if I understand correctly, she could tank in defensive stance until all my buffs are up and running then switch to offensive and just murder everything)? Also, would it make sense to try and shoot for Korwa and the other support characters first and use something like the starting character?

There's currently no way to get Andira at the moment, even with a start-dash ticket right? I'd need to wait for an event where she's available again to be able to get her from a ticket?

Also I made a throwaway account to mess around with a bit since it would be silly to do all this and find out I don't like the game. Somebody had mentioned that new players get something that gives them a choice of SSRs from a small pool, but I haven't seen anything like that, just a free premium draw. Am I missing something?

Doesn't sound bad. You've got the right idea—you don't really have to 'shoot' for wind attackers since the best one is the Guild War character you can farm for, so if you want to use tickets for wind characters, buffers would be your best choice. Petra is a good option after Korwa if you decide you like wind and you're going to try and recruit Siete, the guild-war char.

Andira will most likely be gone this year and show up during next year's legfests, but the devs change their gacha rules all the time to make limited stuff more accessible. Like how we're currently in a swimsuit draw period, lol. So who knows!

Somewhere in your pinboard rewards is a ticket for a random SSR from a pool of non-limited chars.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Silvergun1000 posted:

Thanks again for all the help!

to elaborate a bit, the pinboard missions are are the main page under gameplay extras. Once you complete all the missions on it you get a second, then third, board to clear. The third one rewards a random SSR ticket.

actually choosing a character you want requires buying the start dash promotion, which is $$$.

_jink fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 19, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
free to play

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Siete is really strong but he does have his drawbacks, Emblems take a few seconds to build up and can get erased easily so in a MVP race it can come up too late to be useful. Double ougis with a huge passive boost to them stacked with buffs and debuffs is pretty ludicrous though.

Feena was a workable attacker for me in the meantime, her dodge lets her survive even the most stupid of ougis and defense down is pretty hard to get in wind. Not someone anyone would ticket though, but i imagine sooner or later they'll stick a rework / 5* on her to make her more better. More... more better.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 19, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
feena's a super good non-siete attacker because her dodge can handle whatever mirror image can't, so she can spend a super long time in low HP. glad i scam gacha'd her right before the last guild war.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

What's the best use of prestige when done with distinctions? Urns?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I spent four days grinding this thing for two awakened axes but spent less than 200 pots on it so I feel like they could stand to speed the grind up a little in terms of time. It's still better than the Cerb or Fenrir events but I guess because unknowns are usable for everyone you're not selecting for people who may be willing to hellgrind (primal summon havers).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LIMBO KING posted:

I guess if you're Dark you could go for the Cortana?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

LIMBO KING posted:

ive just been buying urns now and then, yeah. Its not a great value but what else am i gonna spend prestige on?

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

You could just... not bother farming prestige?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, if you're still running HLs for Urns and Baha and poo poo, you're getting Prestige whether you need it or not, and if that's the case you might as well spend that Prestige on Urns too so you can lesson the grind for Urns.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Hate-Senpai posted:

I guess if you're Dark you could go for the Cortana?

Ecke Sachs is also usable if you're building a fire grid, especially if you mostly plan to use that grid against wind. It has awful stats, but its skills are rock solid.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 20, 2017

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Irisize posted:

You could just... not bother farming prestige?

i don't, but i'll get some now and then from helping with Baha HL, doing HL magnas for colored centrums, and doing 6mans for urns

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

:3:

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

I've been playing the game for a little under 2 weeks, and I finally have 3000 crystals. Is the legfest tomorrow?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Possibly, but I've been told to hold off until the anniversary later this week.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Legfest starts in 10h30 or so.

MohShuvuu posted:

Possibly, but I've been told to hold off until the anniversary later this week.

That's mostly for decisions like making a GW character, or buying weapons with prestige or renown. For a new player who has to rely on whatever character they have, there's no reason to delay rolling for one month just because some players are fantasising about an 9% SSR gacha.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
More like 27% gacha with Dark Kat and +1s on all draws. That's the Stop Guarantee.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Whelp its happening, finally getting Lyria as a party character. Gonna odd since event characters usually have favorable element vs boss(light boss?).

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully the event weapon also boosts whatever element mc is too

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

escape mechanism posted:

That's mostly for decisions like making a GW character, or buying weapons with prestige or renown. For a new player who has to rely on whatever character they have, there's no reason to delay rolling for one month just because some players are fantasising about an 9% SSR gacha.

Honestly, as another new player (started around a week and a half ago or so), should we just try to mostly save up stuff for a month or two, so we can actually maybe get enough sparks during some event that looks interesting? The story SRs seem relatively decent and can carry you at least for a bit. I managed to luck into a mediocre SSR with my free 10-roll (Zeta), and have since finished off the pinboard to get the guaranteed SSR ticket - out of which I got a great one (Sara) - but even discounting that I seem to be doing at least okay with what I've been automatically given. None of the SRs/Rs I've actually rolled have been particularly good at least, so it's mostly the story ones supplemented by the two SSRs that I'm using.

Summons have been my main weak point, as I've yet to get a single one out of a draw, though I did find out about, and proceed to get, the SSR available just for spamming the right summon off the support list a bunch of times (Ranko). There's apparently another Idolmaster one as well you can get through the same method, but her summon seems to pop up on the support list a lot less than Brunnhilde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sparking means saving up for 300 pulls, which lets you trade in Cerulean Sparks (you get 1 per draw) for a guaranteed featured SSR. The sparks become stones once the draw even has ended, so you have to do those 300 pulls within a specific time frame.

It requires saving up the equivalent of 90,000 Crystals (10-pull tickets = 3,000 Crystals, 1-pull tickets = 300 Crystals) and is probably not doable in your first few months unless you spend mad cash (like $900).

• Locked thread