Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Hey folks. I've partnered with the Chicago Tekken to host a charity event benefiting The Bail Project, a 501c3 organization (which, while small, we've vetted pretty extensively--ChiTek's founder and I both have some experience doing fundraising) that operates in 20 states. The Bail Project aims to bring some measure of fairness to the bond process for those who are unable to pay the American judicial system's often exorbitant bond demands--including, as of late, Black Lives Matter protesters, which is our primary motivation behind the event.

We'll be running two East Coast/Midwest tournaments, one PS4 and one PC, on June 13th and on June 14th we'll be running an exhibition event with a ton of cool matches and commentators. It should be a fun time, and we're hoping to raise a bunch of money--ChiTek has chipped in $500 and both ChiTek and I have matched the $5 entry fee for our first 100 players (so each player, up to 100, is really $15 in the till). There's $350 already in our community donation pile and we're in talks with sponsors for more, including multiple community matches from individuals and businesses--so a $1 donation, which you can make on our Matcherino for free with the code RESIST, is shaping up to have a big multiplier effect.

If you're interested:

Donate: https://bit.ly/RTIFDonate
Play: https://bit.ly/RTIF_PC and https://bit.ly/RTIF_PS4
Watch: https://twitch.tv/tracecomplete (this is me; I'm handling video production and a lot of behind-the-scenes logistics)

And if you'd like to share something on Twitter, this is good: https://twitter.com/edropple/status/1268350095000551424

EDIT: please take my dog as tax

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Good dog, but can be do the SNK pretzel motion?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Faffel posted:

Just so you're aware, you can also get a Japanese plexi for ten bucks with it, the omni always has a 30mm in the metal, the plexi is what forms around the lever so you can swap back and forth. I personally think the etokki taeyoung is the best lever I've used though, even for 2d like 3s it feels nice and I can go from down back to forward and it barely feels like leaving neutral if I do it right, nice for the urien corner stuff.

It's a relatively pricy stick for a jlf, but it is absolutely the best way to get a good kstick. Its also a real tank. The major complaint I've heard from offline players is that it comes with a not amazing USB cable and it has nowhere to store it so it can get worn away by being wrapped around the stick. You can easily replace the USB cable though. No neutriks on it is kinda lame in retrospect. Low effort solution.

The case can also be slippery for lap play, you can grab some precut 3m grippy things for it from them to help that.

Sweet, this makes me feel better about probably grabbing one. Also lmao at the gold one, I think I'll pass on it

Edit: hell ya AFashionableHat, I watch Chicago Tekken every chance I get from Cali, I'll toss some money in

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

One of the top Skullgirls players in the Midwest has a hitbox that is literally a shoebox with 24mm buttons cut into it.

The guy who plays Solo Peacock? He's a cool dude

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

Good dog, but can be do the SNK pretzel motion?

terrible dog. Possibly a demon.

Plays Paul Phoenix too, so even worse.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Brought To You By posted:

The guy who plays Solo Peacock? He's a cool dude

Yeah, we always met at locals.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Put in a half hour playing around in KOF98, and my left shoulder is now sore. I do much more strenuous things than rolling around a stick for work without the same effect. I think it might be time to take the hint that stick isn't meant for me.
And yes the ball top is on there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mango sentinel posted:

The missile poo poo in the gameplay sucks but that pales in comparison to the issues with the structure/writing which is all on the head of Sakimoto.

Sakamoto dictated the control scheme too.

Team Ninja still deserves poo poo because they took everything Sakamoto taught them on Other M and put it into Ninja Gaiden 3.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I bought the big ol MK Aftermath pack on a whim and going from Tekken 7 to that is such huge whiplash. I think I prefer the actual fighting in Tekken but like literally everything else in MK is so much better I think I end up preferring it. Not having to wait like 4 minutes everytime I want to play a match goes a long looooooong way.

Is it viable to play grappler online in MK? I tried getting used to playing Sheeva because she seems like a grappler/tick throw character but I feel like blocking is less of a thing in MK because it's a separate button rather than a movement based thing.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 5, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I really like you Tekken 7, but sometimes I don't want to GET READY FOR THE NEXT BATTLE every goddamn time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sheeva isn't really a true grappler because most of her throws are just specials, not actual command grabs. Kano, Kotal, Geras and Terminator all have true command throws.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
What's the difference between a grab special and a command grab?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Just guessing, but I'm imagining they're hit grabs that can be blocked?

$60 is still kinda too much for me for the aftermath pack, but I'm definitely wish listing it for when it goes on sale

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Intel&Sebastian posted:

A special is just that, it can be blocked. Command grabs are true throws, meaning the character has to duck it (if it's a high) or poke out of it. Some of Sheeva's moves look like throws but they're mostly just specials, I think the only true one she has is that low grab.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ah ok, got it

I saw Jax has a custom-whatnot thing that makes it so some strings can end with the grab command, maybe I should switch there?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

HerniaFlange posted:

Put in a half hour playing around in KOF98, and my left shoulder is now sore. I do much more strenuous things than rolling around a stick for work without the same effect. I think it might be time to take the hint that stick isn't meant for me.

a stick requires a movement of like 1-2 inches and if you cant figure out how to do that without loving up your shoulder you need to switch to pad

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Zand posted:

a stick requires a movement of like 1-2 inches and if you cant figure out how to do that without loving up your shoulder you need to switch to pad

It's probably more related to posture than the motion of the stick.

But yes, no matter the reason, don't play in pain. Switch to whatever is most comfortable. Pad is a great option, or you could try playing on keyboard for a while to see if a Hitbox would cause similar discomfort.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

HerniaFlange posted:

lmfao what

serious question: is this happening while you're labbing or are you playing online the whole time? My guess is you're getting too hyped and tensing up while playing against people. If it's happening in 1p or you're not actually getting extremely into it then idk see a doctor.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

It's probably more related to posture than the motion of the stick.

But yes, no matter the reason, don't play in pain. Switch to whatever is most comfortable. Pad is a great option, or you could try playing on keyboard for a while to see if a Hitbox would cause similar discomfort.

it's definitely posture and how they're holding their arcade stick.

So I had the same problem with my wrists when I was practicing skull girls stuff a week back, what fixed it for me was using a little lap desk to raise the stick up and fix the angle of my arms plus sitting up straight. Maybe give that a try OP?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I had to stop using stick because I had the same poo poo going on. I also, however, have a weird hosed up shoulder and the muscle problems that come with that.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Make sure to not to keep playing through pain or discomfort because getting a repetitive stress injury can really suck.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Does screaming yourself hoarse at the cheating goddamn Kronika count as a repetitive stress injury?
"O hai im just gonna do 300 unblockable every couple seconds and also tag out when needed, nbd"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you're screaming out loud at your video game you definitely should consider gentler hobbies. Nothing good lives at the end of that road.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Video games are supposed to be fun. Part of the reason I stopped playing smash was because I was getting very angry at it, and my lag.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/1269044194087059459?s=20

.... *sigh*

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Figured it out.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 6, 2020

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Yeah it's probably just me me having bad posture and positioning. This happened while I was using it on a bench while I normally play with it in my lap on my bed. I wasn't online, I was mostly trying to figure out if I could combo into Clark's super throw in training mode. That might be a different game I'm thinking of though, and I should probably read the wiki before just trying to mash stuff out. I'll try adjusting the chair height and seeing if that's enough or if I need to figure something else out. Thanks for the advice.
Also yeah don't play games that make screaming mad. Screamin' mad, maybe, but that would involve turning into an old-school blues singer.

gdi Mike.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 6, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Apparently he did apologize for it, for whatever it’s worth. Still, oof

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

:doh: 36 days until EVO and this is how the dream might end.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Mike's response, he's sorry:
https://twitter.com/MikeZSez/status/1269041162305888264?s=19

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I certainly bet he regrets it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/hecksmaniac/status/1269051463998808080?s=19
https://twitter.com/lexaprogrammer/status/1269053620701577218?s=19
Love it when people use black people for moral validation. Actually, I feel what the opposite of love.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Kill yt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The thing is in the clip you can actually hear him pause in the windup. If it was super rapidfire bullshitting I could get it but you can practically hear him realizing its a bad idea right there lol.

That said if he apologizes and donates to good causes I don't think he should be unpersoned or anything

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

It's like when you press a button in the middle of the enemy rage art animation, only with your career.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I do also respect him linking the clip in the apology considering how many times with this stuff people apologize for the vaguely bad thing they did with no description or context

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ofc every idiot whos ever been banned and never apologized for anything is now going 'oh its okay when mikez does something bad!?'

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Endorph posted:

I do also respect him linking the clip in the apology considering how many times with this stuff people apologize for the vaguely bad thing they did with no description or context
I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on the basis of this and also the apology is quite direct, and mike+lab zero have both donated to blm

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's pretty interesting now that a controversy like this comes from people I've personally met and know.

Endorph posted:

The thing is in the clip you can actually hear him pause in the windup. If it was super rapidfire bullshitting I could get it but you can practically hear him realizing its a bad idea right there lol.

That said if he apologizes and donates to good causes I don't think he should be unpersoned or anything

Yeah. You can hear him pause with the awkward silence in the end.

IronicDongz posted:

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on the basis of this and also the apology is quite direct, and mike+lab zero have both donated to blm

Yeah, he's a good dude. He walks the walk in inclusively in the community both in terms of women, PoC, and the LGBTQ community. He likely wanted to say something funny and quirky and blurted out the first thing that came to mind which was...not good...

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wish he had that rollback irl