Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is with Dan is that he is superhuman- he can shoot fire from his hands! When he cameos in other games he's actually pretty good. And he explicitly practices the same style as Ken, Ryu and Sakura.

The problem is that mainly he's bad at martial arts. He was literally trained wrong, on purpose, as a joke, because his mentor realised he was motivated by anger and so told him his training was complete when it really, really wasn't. Which also causes his unwarranted arrogance, since he thinks he's a master on Ken and Ryu's level and doesn't understand he has a long way to go. And I think Sakura at least basically humours him because he taught her the basics and she considers him a genuine and supportive friend.

While his training is an issue, I'd argue that he isn't bad at martial arts; he'd beat the poo poo out of anyone not on the level of an average SF fighter (so basically anyone not on an elite/super elite level). His problem is that he doesn't have the talent of a Sakura or Karin, nor the training of a Ryu or Ken, so when he fights against people miles better trained/experienced or far more talented, he just looks terrible.

He might be F class, but his F class is tiers above anything you and I could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I could take Dan Hibiki in a fight, easily.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If Hibiki Dan tried to punch me I would simply dodge to the side and destroy him

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How does Dan compare in power level to Jagi

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

dragon enthusiast posted:

has there ever been a fighting game that did a timeskip/roster reboot and got away with it

street fighter did a roster reboot besides ken, ryu, and chun-li from sf3 on

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pyrus Malus posted:

street fighter did a roster reboot besides ken, ryu, and chun-li from sf3 on

yeah and it killed the franchise for like a decade :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Smoking Crow posted:

How does Dan compare in power level to Jagi

Dan would probably die if Jagi shot him with a shotgun.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah and it killed the franchise for like a decade :v:

New Generation didn't kill the franchise. After four updates of Street Fighter 2 and the Alpha games, people were tired of the series. The moved on to 3v3 team fighters which is were Capcom moved as well with Capcom vs SNK and the Marvel titles. Then when the gaming population got tired of those they got tired of 2D fighters in general and the genre wouldn't get mainstream recognition again until Street Fighter IV.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why do people like this

like it's literally just a menu but worse in crowded situations or when you're trying to find one person in particular

it's one of my least favorite trends in fighting game UI design and the ArcSys versions are especially bad since they don't even have e.g. automatic rotating all play

the 3d lobbies are more readable and accessable then a bunch of word menu barf

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, the problem in general was oversaturation. Let's cover all the fighting games Capcom put out after SF3:NG in early 1997 and before Capcom vs SNK 2.in August 2001.

Cyberbots
Vampire Savior (and Vampire Savior 2/Vampire Hunter 2)
Capcom vs SNK Millenium Fight (and Pro)
Jojo's Venture (and it's update, Jojo's Bizzare Adventure)
Final Fight Revenge
Heavy Metal Geomatrix
Rival Schools: United By Fate (and it's sequel, Project Justice)
Power Stone (and it's sequel)
Pocket Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (as well as Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2)
Street Fighter EX Plus (and Street Fighter EX 2 and EX2 Plus)
Street Fighter III: 2I (and 3S)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (And SFA3 Upper)
Spawn
Tech Romancer
Plasma Sword

While not all of these were sprite-based 2D fighters, most of these except, like, maybe the Power Stone-eque arena fighters were basically fighting for the same space in a four and a half year window. Capcom's fighters died because they released like twenty years worth of games in a fifth of that time and, somehow almost all of them performed poorly, even if the only legitimately bad games in the lot were MSHvSF, Plasma Sword, and Final Fight Revenge.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
sf3 not having the world warriors didn't kill the series reputation. arcades dying in america outside of DDR and the first two versions of sf3 being bad games killed the series reputation

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want to also give some credit to Tekken 3 being a masterwork that was available on playstation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Iterative releases like Street Fighter got made sense in the arcade format but nowhere else, and probably shoulda been a warning sign that they didn't realise that until well into the HD era.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
2nd impact owns

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hace posted:

2nd impact owns

Is 2I the version where Sean is insanely good?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
yeah, and ibuki was broken as hell

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Is 2I the version where Sean is insanely good?

yes lol, and pretty fun

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

In Training posted:

Tekken 7 is like 90% there but unfortunately that 10% is a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong loving load time

And no loving pass button. 30 seconds, every time.

I’ve counted. In a 3.5 hour show we spend north of 30 minutes in lobby wait or load times, and until top 8 we run side by side setups and switch dynamically back and forth between games to not sit there for the off game to come back around and load.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I think SF3 also had the VF problem where it was amazing looking but the technology necessitated higher prices than a quarter a game. There's a reason Capcom put out more CPS2 games after the CPS3 released than games actually released on the CPS3 hardware. Capcom tried to make everyone move to new, expensive, and CD-based hardware at a time when arcades needed to do the exact opposite. Also, this was the time when the Dreamcast was a contemporary console and the quality level of home ports combined with the speed of home port releases meant the reasons to go to arcade and spend a dollar a game on the next best game was becoming fewer and fewer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Kins posted:

The Fantastic Four are one of those cases where The Mouse didn't have the movie rights and spitefully refused, as The Mouse does, to do anything that could potentially make the people who did have those rights even a crumb of money. They were also trying to replace the X-Men with a new set of characters they completely owned (The Inhumans I think?) around that same time, hence the lack of Wolverine in MvCI.

The whole Inhumans thing is such a weird episode in comics and is going to look so bizarre in retrospect years from now. Marvel realized how similar mutants and inhumans are as a concept and decided to just turn the Inhumans brand into a scab replacement because, gently caress it, they were able to make Guardians of the Galaxy into a household name, so why not these guys? But it really didn't work. Even if you ignore how many iconic X-Men characters there are out there, the whole mutant thing was relatable due to being about coming of age and being an outsider or minority. The Inhumans aren't relatable and are instead otherworldly royal folks who have slaves and live on the moon.

Their most beloved character (Black Bolt) doesn't even work well as a protagonist, especially in video games, since his whole deal is that him simply talking is a level 3 attack.

And for a time, Marvel really tried to make it work. They spent several years building up the Inhumans in the comics with a plot development that created new, down-to-earth characters. They were going to get their own movie in-between Infinity War and Endgame before the guy in charge of the movies was removed. Agents of SHIELD dedicated a lot of time focusing on the inhuman race. The movie was instead turned into a TV series that was such a failure that Marvel brass considers it one of those things they just don't talk about.

It became a moot point because Disney got their hands on the X-Men anyway eventually. Yet it might come off as worth it in the end because the whole experiment helped create the new Ms. Marvel, who Marvel has been readying up for years as their next big mainstream star. They expect her to be as big as Miles Morales Spider-Man to the point that she's the main character in that upcoming Avengers game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUR1KcpW08c Is this guy a Goon?

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013

Holy poo poo how many videos has that dude made about a fighting game youtuber

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
clayton seems like a deeply unhappy person

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

He's a douche from the looks of it, looked at just his most recent videos, saw "THE ESSJOOS" in a bunch of titles.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Day 2 of Yuzuriha: Fingers Still Hurt

Gologle posted:

GBFV is way better than it has any right to be.

GranBlue is legit fun, but just had too many external factors working against it unless you’re in Japan. Ranked has slowed to a crawl in NA/EU and the lobbies (or lobby in the singular) at this point are the same 20-ish SS/SSS players grinding it out.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MechaX posted:

Day 2 of Yuzuriha: Fingers Still Hurt

GranBlue is legit fun, but just had too many external factors working against it unless you’re in Japan. Ranked has slowed to a crawl in NA/EU and the lobbies (or lobby in the singular) at this point are the same 20-ish SS/SSS players grinding it out.

I imagine if others are anything like me, having to pay 80 dollars right out the gate certainly didn't help interest in the game in the US.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
There's no way to report people in Street Fighter V is there? Just started playing again and in casuals ran into a guy literally named "g00khater" which I'd like to report but I don't see any options.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hekk posted:

I imagine if others are anything like me, having to pay 80 dollars right out the gate certainly didn't help interest in the game in the US.

Between this, Bad Netcode Fatigue setting in for Fighting Games, and the COVID-19 nipping the game's presence at events in the bud, Granblue Versus just hit the perfect storm to come dangerously close to launching DOA. Season 1 should have been included in the main game (not that Arksys is going to stop bundling the last 6 months of development time as DLC and attach an additional price tag for it now, with it being a successful model for them ever since Blazblue; CS,) the netcode is every bit as mediocre as every Arksys game since Xrd, and the lack of an in-person scene has just kinda amplified both problems. We know the game has at least sold well, but it is going to need something to give it a boost of staying power and probably the only thing working in it's favor is that the only major fighting game release on the slate currently is GG Strive next year, which is having some... visible and noted growing pains, so it has time to develop the scene to not die the second Strive hits.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

MechaX posted:

Pretty much my entire scene all dropped Granblue at the same time, and weekly tournaments that a Discord I'm on holds for various FGs dropped so low in attendance for Granblue that they were considering just dropping the game from rotation. People got bored of how simple the game is and how Lance and Ferry just ran things even with their supposed nerfs. I think Season 2 will be make-or-break for the game outside of Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Granblue's fun but its got balance issues yeah. Hopefully S2 fixes things up and rebalacnes things.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Granblue ranked mode is a wasteland. The only other A rank matches I've gotten in the last week have been to job for people on the bubble from S rank.

If they want there to be any online scene at all in 3 months, implementing rollback is an absolute must. Which won't happen because that costs money 🙁

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

darealkooky posted:

sf3 not having the world warriors didn't kill the series reputation. arcades dying in america outside of DDR and the first two versions of sf3 being bad games killed the series reputation

There's also something to be said here about how the home console scene developed. The PlayStation didn't do well with sprite-based 2D games, for some technical reason I can't remember offhand, so most of its arcade fighting ports were pretty bad for a while. The only real exceptions were MSH (although its load times were bad) and that elaborate home version of SFA3 with World Tour mode.

Since the PlayStation effectively ran the world for years, that meant a lot of companies that made 2D fighters were crippled from the jump by virtue of not making games that readily cooperated with PSX hardware. It was a unique case of genre/hardware incompatibility.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know how often cygames would kill a project, but they presumably have infinite money that they could pump into granblue versus if they want. I'd hate to see it die because I think it is a good gateway game, more frustrating characters aside.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It sold pretty well from what I understand. Unless season 2 is a big disappointment I expect they'll try to keep it alive for a time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think SF3 also had the VF problem where it was amazing looking but the technology necessitated higher prices than a quarter a game. There's a reason Capcom put out more CPS2 games after the CPS3 released than games actually released on the CPS3 hardware. Capcom tried to make everyone move to new, expensive, and CD-based hardware at a time when arcades needed to do the exact opposite. Also, this was the time when the Dreamcast was a contemporary console and the quality level of home ports combined with the speed of home port releases meant the reasons to go to arcade and spend a dollar a game on the next best game was becoming fewer and fewer.

There was a post about a guy who managed an arcade who commented that when Street Fighter 3 released he nor nobody else he knew were interested as by that time the fighting game boom had long ended and the CPS3 was a very fragile, defective, and expensive machine.

Wanderer posted:

There's also something to be said here about how the home console scene developed. The PlayStation didn't do well with sprite-based 2D games, for some technical reason I can't remember offhand, so most of its arcade fighting ports were pretty bad for a while. The only real exceptions were MSH (although its load times were bad) and that elaborate home version of SFA3 with World Tour mode.

Since the PlayStation effectively ran the world for years, that meant a lot of companies that made 2D fighters were crippled from the jump by virtue of not making games that readily cooperated with PSX hardware. It was a unique case of genre/hardware incompatibility.

The PSX did 2D good enough to satisfy casual gamers of their fighting game ports. The problem was that Street Fighter 3 was essentially the Virtua Fighter 3 of 2D games. A Sega Saturn with the highest RAM expansion couldn't run the game in a near playable state if it tried.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 13, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I remember playing so many mirror matches in MvC for PSX because it anything other than that was a one on one with assist match.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
The CSP3 also took about 10 years before emulators could crack it. It's overly complicated because Capcom was trying to stop bootlegs of it.

What's funny is the Dreamcast was the opposite. Probably easiest system to crack. And third strike is a great port on it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The CSP3 also took about 10 years before emulators could crack it. It's overly complicated because Capcom was trying to stop bootlegs of it.

What's funny is the Dreamcast was the opposite. Probably easiest system to crack. And third strike is a great port on it.

The Third Strike port was horrendous. The parry timing was terribly off.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

After all those SF2WW bootlegs, Capcom definitely developed a fetish for creating machines that would commit suicide if you so much as thought of tampering with them, or owning them for more than five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

freeman posted:

There's no way to report people in Street Fighter V is there? Just started playing again and in casuals ran into a guy literally named "g00khater" which I'd like to report but I don't see any options.

If you're on PC I've reported people with hateful names through Steam from time to time. I don't know if it actually does anything, but there is a mechanism for it.