Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

god drat i love virtua fighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Real hurthling! posted:

Its i want to bet on the matches like salty

:hmmyes:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I also love virtua fighter but I would love it more if people in my region and rank range played anyone other than lei-fei or shun di, I swear 90% of my games are against those two gimmicky rear end characters

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I hate cosmetics in tournaments -_-

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

pretty soft girl posted:

I also love virtua fighter but I would love it more if people in my region and rank range played anyone other than lei-fei or shun di, I swear 90% of my games are against those two gimmicky rear end characters

play taka and gently caress em all up

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

play taka and gently caress em all up

I like this advice, I messed around with taka briefly and might go back to him to supplement my jacky and kage when I get stuck constantly matching against Lei and shun

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

porfiria posted:

Why is the design for every character in Melty Blood "regular person"?

Captain Baal posted:

they are from a visual novel where they are supposed to look like normal rear end people hiding magical bullshit
Yeah IIRC it's urban fantasy where everyone is hiding some bullshit magical power or they're a vampire or whatever, it's like a Japanese version of City of Bones/Shadowhunters meets Vampire the Masquerade.

Which means you do get some VAMPIRE REVEALING THEIR TRUE FORM characters and they look like some 15th century count or something, but they're a minority.

Also a whole bunch of THIS CHARACTER but as a ROBOT or CAT or CAT ROBOT because it's an anime fighting game.

Just Andi Now posted:

Tohno Shiki is.... not polite.
My favorite thing about Shiki in Melty Blood is that he looks like some normal rear end high school kid but his whole thing is just STABBING his opponents with a HUGE KNIFE that he pulls out, just stabbity stab stab boy. And then there's an EVIL TWIN of him who is even more evil and stabby I guess? I dunno, but it's an excuse for another character variant. And then there's Shiki but a girl, who also STABBITY STAB STABS people, and she has the best outfit in the game.

anime was right posted:

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1302380197560414211

melty blood is everything about the first character but in the visual design of the second
I think Guilty Gear having just released kinda throws off what people consider "normal" looking characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 28, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The United States posted:

And then there's Shiki but a girl, who also STABBITY STAB STABS people, and she has the best outfit in the game.

And she's not even from Tsukihime or related to the other two Shikis at all beyond also having crazy magic eyes that let them see lines that kill things when cut!

And we still don't know if the Shikis can kill a servant?!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Kitfox88 posted:

And we still don't know if the Shikis can kill a servant?!

We do. If you take FATE Extra or GO into account, Ryogi Shiki can absolutely murder Servants with ease.

As for the designs, you can chalk it up to the fairly early art direction for Tsukihime along with the story being around this very small group of people. You don't even see Roa in the original Tsukihime. You don't really get into the weirder characters until you get to the 'sequel' Kogetsu Tohya, and you get characters like Kung-Fu girl Miyako, muscle maniac Kishima or Magical Amber Kohaku. And the games had characters like Wallachia, Sion and Riesbyfe that really played into Takeuchi's later design aesthetic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the thing about metly blood people miss is that the villain of it, wallachia, can create illusions based on people's thoughts, memories, and fears. so eviller stabbier shiki exists cause shiki worries about what if gets too stabby. this is the same handwave for all the joke characters like mech hisui and the neco-arcs. they dont actually exist.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i dont care about lore, i'm just looking at if the characters in fighting games game look cool and do cool things

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I care deeply about the lore of all fighting games.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Oh, we got another KoF silhouette.
https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1420202351856553988?s=20
It feels like we should be finishing off Team Mexico after Ramon and Dinosaur, but that doesn't look especially Angel-ish to me.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Looks like they've got big sleeves whoever they are

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Was Kula already announced?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The hair would match Angel, so maybe it's a new outfit with longer sleeves?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
This looks like longer hair to me so either Athena or Kula, but Athena would likely have some sort of outline of a hair band or something, so I'm going Kula for this one.

I note we still don't know the third member of the Women's Team, or even if there is one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There ever gonna be a River City fighting game? Feels like a franchise that's a natural fit for one, though I might be thinking of Final Fight being basically rolled into Street Fighter.

Also had a weird dream about River City Girls 2 featuring the characters as adults. Perhaps stereotypically but predictably, both the protagonists are single moms.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also had a weird dream about River City Girls 2 featuring the characters as adults. Perhaps stereotypically but predictably, both the protagonists are single moms.

Fighting to get their child support money?

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

I just realized we still haven't gotten a K' video even though he was one of the characters in the initial reveal trailer. Wonder when that's coming.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There ever gonna be a River City fighting game? Feels like a franchise that's a natural fit for one, though I might be thinking of Final Fight being basically rolled into Street Fighter.

There are a bunch of Kunio-kun fighting games, this is the most recent one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0UI_U5hU1A

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are a bunch of Kunio-kun fighting games, this is the most recent one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0UI_U5hU1A

I assume they meant one that didn't use 35 pixel tall sprite hobbits.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You know what game mechanic should be used in more fighting games?

Touhou 15.5 is an airdasher fighting game where you can jump up and also jump down, below the "ground", which creates some very interesting gameplay.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

there was savage reign that had multiple levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn-ZNkyGawM

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Touhou 15.5 is an airdasher fighting game where you can jump up and also jump down, below the "ground", which creates some very interesting gameplay.

check out super smash bros. poo poo’ll blow your mind.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
All pre-Garou fatal furys had two planes which is sorta like jumping up and down?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

b_d posted:

check out super smash bros. poo poo’ll blow your mind.

You misunderstood what I meant.
When you jump you fall toward the middle. So when you jump up, you fall down but when you jump down you fall up into the neutral position again.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mango sentinel posted:

It's Kunio-kun, there's like 50 games in that series and almost every one of em looks like that.

There was a traditional Double Dragon fighting game for Neogeo/Playstation, that's as close as it gets.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

It's Kunio-kun, there's like 50 games in that series and almost every one of em looks like that.

There was a traditional Double Dragon fighting game for Neogeo/Playstation, that's as close as it gets.

Double Dragon V is "special".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

J.A.B.C. posted:

We do. If you take FATE Extra or GO into account, Ryogi Shiki can absolutely murder Servants with ease.

I was mostly joking about how prior to those that was a common nerd argument about nasu stuff. :v:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I know but I wish Kunio Kun spinoffs didn't have to be locked into that style like 30 years later.

Also yeah Double Dragon V is based on the bullshit cartoon and is absolute trash but the Neo Geo one is based on the bullshit movie but is kinda good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It is funny how Kunio-Kun has so many spinoffs that were translated by American companies apparently entirely unaware that they were part of the same franchise. And then River City Girls has a bunch of in-jokes about it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

That's illegal.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
That's just what Kunio looks like in real life.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The only Kunio-kun game I played as a kid was Nintendo World Cup, it was a pack-in at some point (as a SMB/Tetris/Nintendo World Cup 3-in-1 cart) so it was super common around here

It owns, if you slide tackle players enough they don't get back up anymore for the rest of the half

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

There's a reason the airborne Touhou fighters have no scene and IaMP/Soku still do despite the airborne ones looking extremely nice and being newer.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk poo poo about the touhou fighters what is the reason

ai girlfriend
Jan 1, 2020

Because the netcode sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

look we've already established netcode isnt real