Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

obgearfell vs. hodges killed me, goddamit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TGLT posted:

Bridget's in game bio uses she/her and people who are talking about UH WELL ONLY ONE ENDING SHE SAYS SHE'S A GIRL are desperate morons grasping at straws.

but also you have to be dense as gently caress to not understand what they're talking about when Bridget says she's scared of change and asks Ky how he had the courage to come out about marrying a gear/being part gear.

A bunch of them are also pulling 'but the Japanese bio says Bridget's a boy' while completely missing, willingly or not, that Japanese (and other Asian languages the game's translated into, like Korean) doesn't really have gendered pronouns, all gender is implied, which the machine translation they tend to rely on to prove their point isn't really very good at understanding.

It's generally not all that fun to report on 'Here's How The Bigots Are Spinning This', but this one I think is genuinely interesting and something to learn from. I'm really thankful Testament came out first, just because they were a goddamn crash course in Japanese non-binary representation and depiction, including with such things as pronoun selection.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does the other ending say Bridget is a boy or something? I don't really see how "this one doesn't say she's a girl, therefore she's a boy" makes sense. It'd be like if one of Nagoriyuki's endings had him sucking blood from someone's neck and the other had him reading a book, and the latter was used as evidence he wasn't a vampire.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The dumbest thing is the whole enphasis on "it's a bad ending!" when someone actually compared it with Baiken's arcade mode and it turns out that Baiken's endigs also all cover the same themes, some detailing more than others. From what I saw there's no "bad end" and "true end", that's just people considering the Extreme ending to be the only valid one because it's the hardest.

Sadly the post detailing that got deleted because you know, this whole situation is a loving mess thanks to the sheer quantity of transphobia.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think it's only a mess if you look specifically at the people and places dedicated to making a mess out of it and anything representation related in general

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Does the other ending say Bridget is a boy or something? I don't really see how "this one doesn't say she's a girl, therefore she's a boy" makes sense. It'd be like if one of Nagoriyuki's endings had him sucking blood from someone's neck and the other had him reading a book, and the latter was used as evidence he wasn't a vampire.

the flawless run ending has bridget asking ky advice for coming out, so

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Coming out as a gearfucker!! NOT gay!! I don't know what subtext is

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Some people are going full mental gymnastics that the Extreme ending is actually "Bridget asking for adivce to stand up to Bridget's village and openly present as a boy!" which just shows the leaps some people will make just to stay bigoted.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Countblanc posted:

Does the other ending say Bridget is a boy or something? I don't really see how "this one doesn't say she's a girl, therefore she's a boy" makes sense.

You are not missing anything! That argument is in fact complete bullshit.

I’m still holding out hope that Arcsys will step in and continue to affirm it in no uncertain language, but I don’t exactly expect them to do so.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont play arcade mode usually and am shocked that people not only do, but also read everything while doing it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Know what would be really controversial? Putting Zappa in Strive...please

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Know what would be really controversial? Putting Zappa in Strive...please

Zappa's gender changes randomly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pollyanna posted:

You are not missing anything! That argument is in fact complete bullshit.

I’m still holding out hope that Arcsys will step in and continue to affirm it in no uncertain language, but I don’t exactly expect them to do so.

I believe Daisuke did clarify things regarding Testament (I mostly remember the explanation being explained as 'Japan has five different types of non-binary gender presentation, Testament's moved from one to another'), so it wouldn't be weird to see him actually make a statement that clarifies things, even if indirectly. It's just been... what, two, three days? Not a lot of time for any statements to be made.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Your lives would improve if you did not engage at all with the people being stupid about this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

chumbler posted:

Your lives would improve if you did not engage at all with the people being stupid about this.

But someone is wrong on the internet.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Saoshyant posted:

This Dickinson fellow offers good advice, not gonna lie.

I was having a discussion on Goldlewis of all people being the person to help Bridget come out, and I can't decide if it's a joke (the hyper masculine guy that styles himself on a notoriously conservative and queer-phobic American region helping someone come to terms with their identity), an attempt to expand an underdeveloped character and their backstory, or a simply a "who's the daddest guy we got to parent this kid?" thing.

I don't want/think it's the first, because it seems to be played way too straight for that, and I don't necessarily expect a Japanese development team to know all those nuances of American culture, but there's something hilarious about gendering someone as "cowgirl" or "cowboy".

Either way, Goldlewis went from a nothing character to one of my favorites in the cast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/denfaminicogame/status/1556927491649835013?s=20&t=h5dGJ8hGG93PDHK7FmL-Nw

The number of people playing Strive on Steam has jumped up five times since Bridget

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I don't necessarily expect a Japanese development team to know all those nuances of American culture,

Goldlewis works for the President and his brother owns a hamburger shop, they know everything important.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Honestly I haven't even seen a single thing except from people saying that someone is complaining. I can't imagine that people can spare the effort to hold onto this when Bridget is basically impossible to distinguish as a male in any sense.

Like I'm sure someone is mad but they're probably mad at a lot of things for a lot of reasons, so they aren't gonna say or do anything new.

Edit: also ofc player activity is gonna go up. Bridget is a cute.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 10, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The people have spoken and they demand more representation for yoyos.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A lot of this focus on the complaints and the transphobic poo poo is because so many people care about this, and feel the need to defend her. There is nothing wrong with knowing what is good and true and standing up for it is noble. I won’t stop anyone from fighting for it.

Ruminating on the chuds, however, is indulgent and self-destructive. They will always exist, there’s nothing you can do about that. But you can do something about the suffering you feel from seeing and experiencing this hate and resentment. Don’t go Twitter diving - it’s just going to make you feel worse.

The best thing to do, in my opinion? Drown it out. Retweet fan art, share stories of self-discovery, express effusive praise for this unambiguously good development. That’s a positive thing and it is always worth it to bring good into the world.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I mean, I don't interact or argue with those. I sadly have a terminal disease that makes me go read drama wven when it's bad for me. See: me everytime I read QCS.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

We need a stance character like Lei Wulong or Street Fighter's Gen but every stance is a different gender.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I mean, I don't interact or argue with those. I sadly have a terminal disease that makes me go read drama wven when it's bad for me. See: me everytime I read QCS.

Does it really make you happy?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

thechosenone posted:

Honestly I haven't even seen a single thing except from people saying that someone is complaining. I can't imagine that people can spare the effort to hold onto this when Bridget is basically impossible to distinguish as a male in any sense.

I mean, you can just look at the comment section of a YouTube video to start seeing multiple examples for yourself

But overall, nah, Daisuke doesn’t have to explain poo poo beyond what is already super obvious in the game itself and chuds can continue to seethe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

We need a stance character like Lei Wulong or Street Fighter's Gen but every stance is a different gender.

Leo already exists.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Potsticker posted:

Teppu owns. Fantastic read.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Real hurthling! posted:

Leo already exists.

Leo exists in a gender superposition

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Jack Trades posted:

I too want Zappa back.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
does kum haehyun count as a drag king

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

does kum haehyun count as a drag king

Depends on whether the old man counts as a vehicle or a costume.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They should make a rupauls drag race where all the costumes are mecha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

A bunch of them are also pulling 'but the Japanese bio says Bridget's a boy' while completely missing, willingly or not, that Japanese (and other Asian languages the game's translated into, like Korean) doesn't really have gendered pronouns, all gender is implied, which the machine translation they tend to rely on to prove their point isn't really very good at understanding.
the jp bio does use male language for bridget but, in the past tense, in the same places the english bio does: to refer to the objective fact that she was dmab to explain the bit about same-sex twins.

ive compared the jp and english arcade modes and honestly theres some places where the jp is even more explicit about it, at least in terms of the stereotypical language of trans storytelling in japanese, like talking about her 'heart,' which ties into phrasing like 'body of a man, heart of a woman' that used to be fairly common in jp gender discourse.

so yeah, people are just coping hard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

And they’ll cope forever. Nothing to be done but to defend and advocate for those who are at risk and vulnerable.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Leo already exists.

Leo's stances aren't genders, they're whether he feels like being a top or a bottom at any given moment

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean there's also just, regardless of language, Bridget straight up says the words "I'm a girl." Flat out. I keep tonguing the battery on this poo poo but it's driving me up the wall every time I see those folks trying to deny it. I can't argue but people are wrong on the internet and it's upsetting.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It is. But they’re not going to change their minds - they know what they are doing and are not acting in good faith. It is not worth spending time on them.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

thechosenone posted:

It wasn't that bad on release day but unfortunately the trolling is getting actively worse and more malicious. But whatever - they're wrong and are going to stay wrong.

This is basically going to be the new Venom is Gay and Black.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

the jp bio does use male language for bridget but, in the past tense, in the same places the english bio does: to refer to the objective fact that she was dmab to explain the bit about same-sex twins.

ive compared the jp and english arcade modes and honestly theres some places where the jp is even more explicit about it, at least in terms of the stereotypical language of trans storytelling in japanese, like talking about her 'heart,' which ties into phrasing like 'body of a man, heart of a woman' that used to be fairly common in jp gender discourse.

so yeah, people are just coping hard.

Yeah, the bio specifically says "sons," and part of that is that I've noticed, besides explaining Bridget being amab and, is that on the JP side of things that it is more common when referring to oneself in the past as the gender one was identifying as at the time. Contrasting on the EN side where it seems more common that one is referred to by one's preferred current gender identity no matter the context of time. There was a biography of a trans woman in japan whose title escapes me at the moment that I remember highlighted the differing views on terminology. So that might be where there is a slight disconnect in terms of wording. But regardless of all of that, it's very clear that by the end of the story that she wants to be referred to as a woman no matter the language and so female pronouns are appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

It is. But they’re not going to change their minds - they know what they are doing and are not acting in good faith. It is not worth spending time on them.
Yeah, to be clear, it is very easy to discern the difference between someone having an actual misunderstanding (say, hearing that the JP version was 'different' and just taking that for granted) and someone who is actively insisting on a complete falsification of the facts. even an actual statement from daisuke wouldn't really solve it, there's still people who insist the testament thing was localization even though the whole idea is that they were always nonbinary in Japanese and only the English versions strictly identified them as male, and the only change on the JP side was changing the language rather than changing the actual base character.

It's like trying to argue with someone saying fire is wet and cold. You can show them video evidence of fire burning things, you can take them to a fire and show them its hot, you can show them how fire makes water boil and eventually dissolve into steam, and they'll still insist fire is wet and cold. The misunderstanding isn't 'I don't know how fire works but I've heard its like this,' there is a clear intent to disrupt and mislead.

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, the bio specifically says "sons," and part of that is that I've noticed, besides explaining Bridget being amab and, is that on the JP side of things that it is more common when referring to oneself in the past as the gender one was identifying as at the time. Contrasting on the EN side where it seems more common that one is referred to by one's preferred current gender identity no matter the context of time. There was a biography of a trans woman in japan whose title escapes me at the moment that I remember highlighted the differing views on terminology. So that might be where there is a slight disconnect in terms of wording. But regardless of all of that, it's very clear that by the end of the story that she wants to be referred to as a woman no matter the language and so female pronouns are appropriate.
You're probably thinking of 'the bride was a boy,' which pretty clearly indicates that difference in language by, well, being titled 'the bride was a boy.' the manga is by a trans woman, the titular 'bride' is her, she's using 'was a boy' to describe herself in the past tense. Generally the language and identity is more transformative in Japanese. You were male, now you're a girl. This is also the case with nonbinary people, you see people labelling themselves 'Female to X' or 'Male to X' in a way that is very rare to see so openly in English. When was the last time you saw 'Female to NB,' its usually 'DMAB/DFAB,' which implies a certain level of disconnect or falsity. They were *designated* male, they weren't actually male.

Neither is really right or wrong, it's just a cultural difference in how its viewed. It can sometimes lead to misunderstandings, especially when it comes to concepts like dead names and what contexts they're acceptable in, but in this case it doesn't really change how the story plays out at all.