Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Been gaming on Persona 4 Ultimax with rollback...this is the game that got me into FGs and it's pretty comfy coming back to where it all started. Labrys air combos with the jC spinny wheel into air axe slam still feels dope a decade later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
For those nostalgia goons, Mortal Kombat Trilogy just went up for PC on GOG.com, $8. It's a buggy mess and I have no clue if the netplay works but it was fun playing Shang Tsung with no load times on his morphs like the PlayStation

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

After that I tried Asuka, and I at first I thought she might be a good choice since it seemed like she had a simple launcher and some good combo inputs, but after getting halfway through her move list, I realized her moves were a lot more complex

This here is probably why you are struggling with getting started, 3d fighters in general, and Tekken in particular, have really big movelists and if you are not already familiar/comfortable with the game or at least 3d fighters in general this is just going to be overwhelming and difficult to parse/organise in your head.

Try and just looking up a list of a a characters top X moves (https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/wiki/beginner-resources/#wiki_top_15_moves_for_every_character_.28with_gifs.29), running those through practice, add standing 1, df1 and d4 to the mix if those aren't already mentioned, and built a first impression feel of the character based on that. Take that base impression through the arcade mode or get stomped on a little online for a bit. Only once that first feel gets a bit more comfy is it worth going through the whole movelist, because by then you have a core set of moves where you can relate the others to and get a better idea of where to slot them in. You can also do the 15 moves per character for a few characters that looked cool to you and build a slightly broader comparison. Either/or, but don't grind through whole movelists at the start, it'll just burn you out with little to show for.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/hershuar/status/1559916737587728385?t=ZMb-mO99pLfykfQ-jgyOtg&s=19

Frankly kinda disappointed Li Fen isn't in the roster

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wait....does she have a dandy step, now? :stare: (2min mark)

Also, lol at the streaming super. I don't know if I just didn't read the screen right, but not being able to see life bars while its active is going to be annoying as poo poo.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It just looks like a wonky frame trap instead of a rekka starter.

Also don't forget the vtuber super covers up the meter so you have to just guess if you have enough for whatever EX move you want to use.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Very funny cat! I like how the tire has a hitbox that lingers onscreen forever.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
If ya go back a few pages we were juust talking bout onboarding in Tekken from scratch and some real good resources n stuff were posted - check it out and play Tekken, it's real good!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I don't hate Neco Arc, I just wanted to use that GIF.

Autsj posted:

This here is probably why you are struggling with getting started, 3d fighters in general, and Tekken in particular, have really big movelists and if you are not already familiar/comfortable with the game or at least 3d fighters in general this is just going to be overwhelming and difficult to parse/organise in your head.

Try and just looking up a list of a a characters top X moves (https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/wiki/beginner-resources/#wiki_top_15_moves_for_every_character_.28with_gifs.29), running those through practice, add standing 1, df1 and d4 to the mix if those aren't already mentioned, and built a first impression feel of the character based on that. Take that base impression through the arcade mode or get stomped on a little online for a bit. Only once that first feel gets a bit more comfy is it worth going through the whole movelist, because by then you have a core set of moves where you can relate the others to and get a better idea of where to slot them in. You can also do the 15 moves per character for a few characters that looked cool to you and build a slightly broader comparison. Either/or, but don't grind through whole movelists at the start, it'll just burn you out with little to show for.

Thanks. I'll bookmark that and refer back to it.

-

I might have asked this before, but has anyone ever had the case where when moving from one game to another in a franchise, the character you main wasn't included? I know there's a lot of cases where characters don't make it into a sequel, or aren't added in until a later update, so I was curious how people dealt with that.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I played Bedman in Xrd who is not in Strive. And when I started playing GGXX with +R he wasn't in that either. It's no real mystery, I just picked a different character I thought would be fun to play. I tend to gravitate towards villains, big bodies, monsters and any combination of the above aesthetically. I think the only time I've played a character that doesn't fit that description is Axl in +R and Giovanna in Strive before Goldlewis came out.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mainly played Slayer in +R and Xrd, albeit not very well, so hopping over to Strive I shopped around for whoever's moveset most fit what I liked about Slayer. Anji has funky movement options and a rekka that's core to his gameplan which is part of what I like about Slayer, plus I just enjoy his aesthetics, so unfortunately I've self-banished into low tier hell.

It's either that or I look for a character who has some sort of mechanic I want to gently caress with that I can vibe with well enough aesthetically. I'm picking up A.B.A. in +R because the different movesets are very neat to play with, and I'm picking up Carl over Relius in bbcf because I want to practice puppet characters but Relius is a loving creep.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm still holding out hope for Kum being added to strive in season 5

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I might have asked this before, but has anyone ever had the case where when moving from one game to another in a franchise, the character you main wasn't included? I know there's a lot of cases where characters don't make it into a sequel, or aren't added in until a later update, so I was curious how people dealt with that.

sin was my guy in xrd and my other character was may, and may lost so much going into strive that i felt she wasnt even really the same character... so i ended up just playing whoever. i tried everyone out and ended up liking axl a lot. but this patch has been rough for him. other than that though it doesnt really happen to me, i played hakumen in blazblue and guile in street fighter so i was covered lol

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I also had a hard time with the Xrd -> Strive May thing. I ended up bouncing around trying to get into the game with Jack-O and I-No and after EVO and Bridget getting all my friends back into Strive thought about trying Baiken on pad instead of stick, just to completely reset all my muscle memory without the old gatlings and since I'd been trying DFO Duel on pad, and it seems to have worked out, so now I'm a Baiken picker and I'm invested enough to start really trying to learn Strive. It felt like one of those things where you just need to let go of whatever and pick up something new and unfamiliar to make it work.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Finally got over my online anxiety with Strive and while I did lose the first few matches, I didn't eat complete poo poo. Won a couple matches off a Giovanna player.

Ran into a Floor 10 Testament player who destroyed me in Open Park

I am still very much a fighting game scrub, but I'm having fun and the loses for the most part aren't just easy wins so I'm happy.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
A noob and a scrub are different things
as long as you've got your heart in the right place you aren't a scrub :)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I have had to change main in almost every installment of Guilty Gear- (Kliff in Missing Link, Zappa in the XX era, Sin then Answer in Xrd, now Leo and Happy Chaos in STRIVE) and it basically comes down to the same thing each time- mess with everyone until I find a couple characters who click, then I try to learn the 'easy' versions of stuff- easy confirms, simple punishes, basic anti-airs and what to do with a knockdown. If I'm still having fun with the character as I learn more about them, I keep going. Learn a bit, play the game until you get it down, learn a little more.

If I'm having trouble with the game itself, maybe I'll try a character who helps cover my weaknesses- my punish game in Tekken is generally really meh, but I play Paul, who while has a lot of high-end tools and high-execution stuff also has a very high floor when it comes to converting damage- Paul's optimal stuff is tricky. Paul doing hopkick launcher punishes into shoulders or deathfist because I don't have time to remember how to do anything better is really easy and still 30%-35%, which as far as easy damage in Tekken is fairly high.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Max Wilco posted:

I don't hate Neco Arc, I just wanted to use that GIF.

I've never seen that weird cat gremlin creature before nor the game it's from but the video posted upstream makes it look like a frighteningly effective troll character laser focused on annoying opponents and harvesting salt, so I love it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Neco-Arc in MBAACC is a character you pick when you want to lose, but they are funny. MBTL Neco-Arc might be more of a real character? But probably still weak.

edit: Like when she calls up her crew on the phone and they run out into the opponent? In MBAACC those summons do nothing. No hitstun, no blockstun, nothing. You're basically just gambling on getting Neco-Hime, a gag on the top tier Archetype: Earth, who actually has an attack that does poo poo.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 18, 2022

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I don't know why but her loving eye laser beams make me laugh

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

poe meater posted:

For me it's the massive broadsword made of cats. It's so remarkably dumb and overblown.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Breetai posted:

I've never seen that weird cat gremlin creature before nor the game it's from but the video posted upstream makes it look like a frighteningly effective troll character laser focused on annoying opponents and harvesting salt, so I love it.

neco arc mbaacc is a troll character because they are completely useless but no combo works correctly on them so enemies have to learn bullshit combos that only work on the joke character. on the other hand check out this bullshit combo that only works on the joke character

https://twitter.com/ScrawtV/status/1553962618083213313

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
if you want an annoying-rear end joke character thats actually good, mech + neco in mbaacc is a legitimately high-tier puppetish character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsLNfyGD7Ik

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

- Fills the screen with nonsense
- Who loving knows what angle this next attack is gonna come from, have fun guessing
- Every attack is some obscure Nasuverse reference
- Health of a wet tissue paper.

Man, Neco-Arc is back.

poe meater posted:

I think it's the massive delay and the GunBuster pose. That and instead of lasers they are these massive wedges just taken out of the screen, easily larger than her entire body.

Breetai posted:

For me it's the massive broadsword made of cats. It's so remarkably dumb and overblown.

It has it's own Noble Phantasm name card on it, too, which is a nod to Fate Grand Order. Which only makes 'Cat holding a massive sword but it's made out of cats' even funnier.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It looks like an early 2000s webcomic character and that is absolutely sending me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do Neco Arc Chaos next and I'll buy the game just for him.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The air dash animation is amazing as well. Also the fact that what I assume is her theme some playing in the background having a constant stream of meows in it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Breetai posted:

The air dash animation is amazing as well. Also the fact that what I assume is her theme some playing in the background having a constant stream of meows in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Plyu1vJYQ

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
https://twitter.com/PlusFramesGG/status/1560006829156970497?t=unZpLK6gCRdhFc3l8LoDew&s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mane6dev/status/1560266438447071233?s=20&t=7tnJTWIXc4TMrQNGaCFOHw

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

poe meater posted:

For me it’s her Superman/Homelander-esque pose when she’s doing it and she’s using so many other goofy moves and I’m like “of course she has an optic blast, why wouldn’t the cat have an optic blast”

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I watched one (1) Neco Arc video and now my youtube feed is infested with them.

Help.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

wologar posted:

I watched one (1) Neco Arc video and now my youtube feed is infested with them.

Help.

Sounds like a good thing to me. Are you saying you want help getting MORE necos?

https://youtu.be/VrfMWqdYCNU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lol that Neco Arc js just "Saltybet shitpost" the character

That owns

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They're cowards to not have it a best of 1.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Did the MBTL peeps ever explain why / what the reasoning was for making all dlc characters free? It seems like a kind of weird change

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Did the MBTL peeps ever explain why / what the reasoning was for making all dlc characters free? It seems like a kind of weird change

I think they need a big positive buzz cause everyone looked at 1.0 and said call me when you fix all this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

type-moon is drowning in fgo money so they can just pay french-bread enough to cover the dev costs of characters themselves, and its free good will/advertising for the game, fgo, and the tsukihime remake

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every major video game company on the planet could give you free characters and stages forever if they wanted. But they make more money charging for it is all. I guess they figured no one would buy melty chars for 8 dollars a pop or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fgo ahead and tell me what fgo is