Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

HerniaFlange posted:

Look at this nerd trying to play a video game on a console from one generation ago. The real cool kids are messing with FPGA dev boards to play arcade games that nobody actually likes anymore. I'll see you at the Bloodstorm tourney I will be hosting completely by myself and so far only has me as an entrant please enter my tourney I'm begging you.

For real though needing to drop however much extra for a used PS4 just to play the most current version of a game sucks.

If you play fighting games competitively in 2020 you most likely already own a PS4. Stop turning it into this financial hardship that is being forced on the masses of UNI players who only own a PS3 or Vita. I can't believe this is even a discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, I have an outdated version on PC now and it's not even certain we're ever gonna get the new one, never mind as a free patch. So that kinda sucks.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Kongming posted:

If you play fighting games competitively in 2020 you most likely already own a PS4. Stop turning it into this financial hardship that is being forced on the masses of UNI players who only own a PS3 or Vita. I can't believe this is even a discussion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dias posted:

Well, I have an outdated version on PC now and it's not even certain we're ever gonna get the new one, never mind as a free patch. So that kinda sucks.

It's going to come to PC since there's an arcade version which is just a Windows executable these days. I'm looking forward to this announcement too though so I don't have to pay to play it online

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Kongming posted:

True, I forgot this thread is for pro gamers only, should have remembered the joy I felt when I finally got my third sponsor and was sent the password to gain access.
Yeah, there's a point that you have to move on and spend the money, but it's also still reasonable to think it's bullshit to have to do so when a few code changes and some more sprites that would probably be really easy to add in even to something outdated but can still run the game properly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The PS3 and Vita were kinda arcane-rear end machines to program for, so I wouldn't be surprised if adding the new character would be too much effort and they decided to just scrape it altogether.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I can get thinking it sucks but also I totally get why they didn't feel the need to bugtest, go through certification stuff, etc for a console that's nearly fifteen years old. I don't think there's really a victim or an antagonist in this situation, it's just a thing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

I can get thinking it sucks but also I totally get why they didn't feel the need to bugtest, go through certification stuff, etc for a console that's nearly fifteen years old. I don't think there's really a victim or an antagonist in this situation, it's just a thing.

There are absolutely antagonists. It's the people who don't bring setups to locals. :haw:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Disappointed I dont have UNIST on my TI-83

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I’m reminded of Final Fantasy XIV and how the devs straight up said the only reason there was a PS3 version was because they promised one. I think it lasted through the first expansion before they converted all PS3 accounts into PS4 accounts for free.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

HerniaFlange posted:

True, I forgot this thread is for pro gamers only, should have remembered the joy I felt when I finally got my third sponsor and was sent the password to gain access.

the vast majority of competitive players are not sponsored, and that is not at all what that person meant.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Is Granblue closer in pace to street fighter than dbzf?

It looks like you can’t buy it on PSN, I don’t remember the last physical game I bought.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Uhhhh have you seen videos of either?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

zelah posted:

Is Granblue closer in pace to street fighter than dbzf?

It looks like you can’t buy it on PSN, I don’t remember the last physical game I bought.

It is from what I've seen. It's also not out yet in US territories, people playing are using digital Asian releases.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dias posted:

There were new dev builds datamined from steam like a month ago and they reserved a bunch of dlc appids, it's preeetty safe to say uniclr is coming to steam.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can buy GBVS digitally but I don't know if you can preorder digitally for the western release. I know trying to find the JP digital preorder was a massive pain in the rear end because looking up just the name didn't show on the search, you had to type in like [PRE-ORDER] first to get it to show up.

Also GBVS's pace is closer to street fighter, but I think it's more like CVS or Alpha than traditional SF tbh.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Thanks. Anime fighter pace isn’t something I’ve clicked with before but this seems like it might be more manageable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The game granblue most reminds me of is waku waku 7.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hello thread, got a question regarding KoF XIV Special Anniversary Edition (on sale now for 15.99€). I own the base game and play it casually along with other fighting games and was wondering if it's worth getting it and if it includes ALL dlc characters. So far I see it includes Whip, Yamakazi, Rock Howard and Vanessa but what happens with the other four that are on the store? Najd, Heidern, Mari and Oswald, is that Special Anniversary Edition a complete one or just gives the character pack and some skins (I don't care about this) while leaving the other four out?

Doing some maths makes this kinda funny because getting the character DLC pack (8.99€) plus the other four (1.99€x4) puts it at 16.95 while the Special edition is 15.99 and if it doesn't have all characters it would be another extra 8 making it pointless over just getting the characters for my base game.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 21, 2020

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Honestly, and ive been playing it* a lot at locals, one guy nailed it when he said it feels like classic SNK fighter. The rolls/evades certainly have that DNA.

*e: Granblue Versus

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Hello thread, got a question regarding KoF XIV Special Anniversary Edition (on sale now for 15.99€).

It only has the first four dlc character from what I can tell

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
UNIclr and the upgrade DLC are out on the EMEA PS store. :toot:

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’m reminded of Final Fantasy XIV and how the devs straight up said the only reason there was a PS3 version was because they promised one. I think it lasted through the first expansion before they converted all PS3 accounts into PS4 accounts for free.

They didn't end PS3 support until June 2017. That was four years and a full two expansions after the relaunch.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Lemon-Lime posted:

They didn't end PS3 support until June 2017. That was four years and a full two expansions after the relaunch.

Was it that long? Got my wires crossed.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lemon-Lime posted:

I bought UNICLR last night and despite owning UNIST on pc, I had never made it through the tutorials. I sat down and made it through the beginner and more than halfway through the intermediate stuff before I had to take a break. So I’ve improved at the basics at least.

There is a local scene in San Diego that plays on Thursdays so even with the lack of huge online numbers, I can still play other human beings.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Arzachel posted:

It only has the first four dlc character from what I can tell

Cheers thanks! I guess if I want the DLC characters might as well just get them instead of a new game and then pay more.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The PS3 only got ARR and Heavensward, the first expansion. They dropped support for Stormblood.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
just play 3s people!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

von Braun posted:

just play 3s people!

If you're in Seattle, they just announced that the retro tournament they're holding in May at GameWorks is going to be an official stop on the SF3 pro league tour.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Every single Scorpion player I've played tonight has had the same Joker "HA HA HA" banner background.

I'm really starting to realize the issues Jade has in this game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Attention all gamers the HNK gamenewton tourney is happening rn https://www.twitch.tv/gamenewton

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

In Training posted:

Attention all gamers the HNK gamenewton tourney is happening rn https://www.twitch.tv/gamenewton

What the christ kind of game is this? Looks like 80s anime with combos strong enough to win the round with one good opening.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Hekk posted:

What the christ kind of game is this? Looks like 80s anime with combos strong enough to win the round with one good opening.

░▒▓█▇▅▂∩(・ω・)∩▂▅▇█▓▒░

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Hekk posted:

it's good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my favorite part is when they cut to the player cams since they just confirmed an infinite but then they drop it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Hekk posted:

fist of the north star is an 80s anime yes

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Hekk posted:

WE STILL FIGHTING

FIGHTING IN THE EIGHTIES (EIGHTIES, EIGHTIES)

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 23, 2020

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hekk posted:

hokuto no ken is a game where you can try and bribe your adversary if they got you in an infinite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQj1cimwGtg&hd=1

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Dias posted:

hokuto no ken is a game where you can try and bribe your adversary if they got you in an infinite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQj1cimwGtg&hd=1

The infinite carrying the guy from one end of the stage to the other was cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like the modded FOTNS cabs with the "I surrender please drop the infinite" button