Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
aren't the cannons technically the owners of evo

edit: never mind looks like mrwiz owns the llc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well I guess Twitch can just buy themselves an eSports event now

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
throw evo in the trash

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/EVO/status/1278573278118899712

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

IDK what this even means, isn't Wizard the owner of EVO. Who made this post? Was it Markman?

what the gently caress is happening

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
It looks like EVO is run by triple perfect inc. and Joey Cuellar is the CEO and CFO so uh

I assume there's other employees or something but I have 0 clue who runs that account or is even in a position to run an investigation.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The REAL Goobusters posted:

IDK what this even means, isn't Wizard the owner of EVO. Who made this post? Was it Markman?

what the gently caress is happening

Wiz owns SRK. A few years ago they created a separate Corp for Evo and Wiz is the president but only one of the shareholders. No idea the breakdown on his stake or comprehensively who the other officers/shareholders are

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Owning something doesn't necessarily mean that all the executive power lies with you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, this is big news to wake up to. And Viscant was aware...

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i always thought viscant was a piece of poo poo after he downplayed all the racist poo poo he said to LTG leading up to that famous beef, which now feels really quaint in hindsight

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think you get a gaming journalist to run with it, they will reach out to Capcom, Nintendo, etc. for comment while also getting influencers to comment on it, and that will turn the heat about as high as it can get.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Generally speaking, when an organization responds as quickly as EVO did here, it suggests someone who was on the knife's edge and would be dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'd guess there's more they know about and are distancing from.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Holy poo poo :stare:

Mr Wizard has sucked rear end for awhile, but this is taking it to a whole nother level. There's no way he can stay associated with Evo and still have sponsors showing up I imagine. Nor should he regardless, what the gently caress

If they're smart they'll have him out by this weekend, otherwise they're going to get destroyed

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Something sort of similar happened in the Crossfit world a week or two ago. They discovered the CEO was super sexist and harassed female employees. A ton of gyms unaffiliated and a group of the top athletes started to boycott their competition.

They did a soft pitch “the ceo resigned and we have a new one!” but everyone knew the original guy still had ownership of the brand and everyone said it wasn’t enough. Finally last week they announced the company has been sold to a new owner and CEO.

I guess what I’m getting at is if top players started boycotting evo that might dump a ton of gasoline onto the fire.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, this is big news to wake up to. And Viscant was aware...

To be fair to Viscant, he probably didn’t know exactly how old the person was in this story at the time (because whether or not this is “extremely creepy” or “extremely illegal” is going to depend on which state this happened in). Hell, doesn’t even seem like Viscant knew this particular story until years later.

I do think that Viscant has a poo poo ton of dirt on a lot of loving people even if he never really realized it before the last 24 hours

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 2, 2020

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Why can't people stop being loving gross predators

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Professorjuggalo posted:

i always thought viscant was a piece of poo poo after he downplayed all the racist poo poo he said to LTG leading up to that famous beef, which now feels really quaint in hindsight

Really? God drat it Viscant. Has he ever apologized for it?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I wonder what he said too, because all LTG ever focused on was “how dare you call me the -black- version of DSP!!”

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

FrostyPox posted:

Why can't people stop being loving gross predators

Humans are inherently evil

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

hey uh, can we get rid of infiltration too now. loving hell

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

pog boyfriend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCT80HJWQ2A

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I always thought Viscant was dope since he stuck it to LTG. This info about Mr. Wizard doesn't really point any fingers at Viscant as being a poo poo or anything so I'm not sure why peeps are pissed at him for knowing Wizard was gay?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

pog boyfriend posted:

i wonder if theyre even going to go forward with evo this year. since its spread out over 5 weeks i could see one weekend happening but nobody is gonna wanna watch that poo poo once this news spreads.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AndyElusive posted:

I always thought Viscant was dope since he stuck it to LTG. This info about Mr. Wizard doesn't really point any fingers at Viscant as being a poo poo or anything so I'm not sure why peeps are pissed at him for knowing Wizard was gay?

Viscant and co were there watching Wiz pay little boys to strip and do stunts

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

The way this year's going he's going to end up running Evo from now on.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

pog boyfriend posted:

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

It reads to me like the people in this group knew what was going on and didn't care. Like, how can you be an adult in this situation and not have red flags go off when your friend is paying young boys to take their clothes off at an arcade. It's hosed up.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Viscant and co were there watching Wiz pay little boys to strip and do stunts

20+ years ago, with MrWiz seemingly gaslighting everyone into thinking this poo poo is normal

...... wait, was Viscant himself even an adult back then if this was mid/late 1990s early 2000s stuff?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kongming posted:

It reads to me like the people in this group knew what was going on and didn't care. Like, how can you be an adult in this situation and not have red flags go off when your friend is paying young boys to take their clothes off at an arcade. It's hosed up.

Valle and James Chen are just as guilty as Viscant for not doing anything about Cuellar in that case.

Like it's clear Cuellar is a real poo poo stain but I'm just reluctant to cast blame on the people he knew through FGC association.

pog boyfriend posted:

yes pls.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 2, 2020

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Valle and James Chen are just as guilty as Viscant for not doing anything about Cuellar in that case.

That's true. Unfortunately generally good people are capable of having glaring blind spots towards friends and need to be snapped out of it to finally see that they're doing something terrible. Have they said anything about it yet? e: Nothing from Valle and Chen shared the Evo image saying Mr. Wizard isn't in charge of it anymore. Also not trying to say they're blameless, they shouldn't have let it happen.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 2, 2020

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

https://twitter.com/JayViscant/status/1278683135689908224
https://twitter.com/JayViscant/status/1278683412274929664
https://twitter.com/JayViscant/status/1278683901339136001

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MechaX posted:

20+ years ago, with MrWiz seemingly gaslighting everyone into thinking this poo poo is normal

...... wait, was Viscant himself even an adult back then if this was mid/late 1990s early 2000s stuff?

I remember weird and creepy poo poo people did back in middle and highschool. That is no excuse.

Edit: viscant knew about the actual serious hosed up stuff and his story is "well I didn't know he was a minor" Jesus gently caress. Evo is dead. None of the the fgc oldheads can be trusted from concealing creeps.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 2, 2020

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

There are replies in the thread from Mikey saying that Chen and Valle didn't know, and most people didn't.

https://twitter.com/PyronIkari/status/1278604643417747456

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Just hard reset the entire FGC at this point, the establishment is so loving gross.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zeether posted:

Just hard reset the entire FGC at this point, the establishment is so loving gross.

this but everything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Armor-Piercing posted:

There are replies in the thread from Mikey saying that Chen and Valle didn't know, and most people didn't.

https://twitter.com/PyronIkari/status/1278604643417747456

https://twitter.com/PyronIkari/status/1278613910434668544?s=20

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
i wonder what father joe has to say about this

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Everyone who witnessed Wiz's "hazing" and didn't do anything is complicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

I remember weird and creepy poo poo people did back in middle and highschool. That is no excuse.

Edit: viscant knew about the actual serious hosed up stuff and his story is "well I didn't know he was a minor" Jesus gently caress. Evo is dead. None of the the fgc oldheads can be trusted from concealing creeps.

It's less about using it as an excuse, but more to better understand the gravity of what happened and what the old guard can do for this going forward. Like, people have been going in on Tweek in the Smash community for knowing about some stuff while he himself was a minor. Yeah, he probably should have spoken up about some stuff, but having him tell his story on the poo poo that was normalized for so long is absolutely key.

In this case, no, Viscant and the other FGC oldheads should have figured out something was off with this years ago. They did not. What they can do now is start recognizing "... oh poo poo I didn't put it together because i was a dum dum, but here are other examples of what was going on back then."

Because I think that MrWiz was normalizing this behavior for a reason, which makes this habitual behavior even worse.

If nothing else, even Majin Obama is like "oh man I have some poo poo to say on this subject," which we need to encourage more of to burn this poo poo to the ground.

Also, LTG can get hosed; he was on his "men can't get sexually assaulted by women" when the Cinipie stuff hit, gently caress him off of the goddamn planet