Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
hell ye

https://twitter.com/anime_evo/status/1278897714898427904?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Lol "will people accept an Evo without it's beloved front man, Mr wizard?"

Nah I more meant would people and companies want to go to an event formally headed by a pedo

I figured they might rebrand or something to clearly define a clean slate

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

"Wait, isn't he the guy who gives out the medals to the top 8 of every game? Tall, bald dude?"

"Nope, but he sometimes hang around that tall, bald dude"

"Oh. So when's Marvel?"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

Yeah 98% of the people watching evo couldnt even name who the head of evo was, much less have any knowledge of mrwizard. And half the peoplw who do know who mrwizard is hated him to begin with

Yeah the only reason I even know the name is "Oh it's that piece of poo poo that said 'We at evo are excited to welcome back WifeBeaterson to the community!"

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
he loving hates 3rd strike too

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

literally the only thing i knew about mr wizard is that sometimes tweets about things related to evo would be posted from his account and get retweeted by people. i dont think anyone at all is going to care he left. as long as evo continues to be popular in 2021, kicking the guy out promptly should keep sponsors around if the money is still there

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

MrWizard threatened to kick out Pokchop for simply cheering people on and never apologized

It was so loving ridiculous, dude was just yelling and popping off like he always does and somehow Joey just singled him out and said "hey stop it or I'll throw you out"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

one time mr wizard said that arcana heart 3 cannot be no evo main stage because they were banning all SD games to go to all low lag lcd monitors

the next year melee was at evo

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Fair enough, I guess I just remember it from the srk days. And he definitely has been a piece of poo poo forever, so glad to see him go

On a totally different note, I picked up MK11 on steam sale and was wondering, do people actually input down, back 1 moves and things like that using only the cardinal directions?

It makes way more sense to me to just do it at a quarter circle, and it doesn't seem to have any problems with that input

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and they should have let that one guy challenge the winner of umvc3

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Fair enough, I guess I just remember it from the srk days. And he definitely has been a piece of poo poo forever, so glad to see him go

On a totally different note, I picked up MK11 on steam sale and was wondering, do people actually input down, back 1 moves and things like that using only the cardinal directions?

It makes way more sense to me to just do it at a quarter circle, and it doesn't seem to have any problems with that input

Depends on what you're playing on. I play on pad, and NRS's alternate style inputs are way longer to input than their traditional input style.

Like, I played Injustice: GAU with the alternate style inputs, but transistioned over to the NRS style for Injustice 2 when I realized that instead of doing half circle forward 2 for Batman's Batarang, I could have been doing Back Forward 2.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

You can actually activate traditional fighting game esque inputs as well if you really want, but then it does require the diagonals. In my experience its better to just leave that setting off as just doing them as quarter circles is fine. Not sure why NRS bothers with that option.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m sure the popularity of evo will be fine but the damage has been done and it’s going to take a lot of work to gain the trust of some of these companies back. Especially with a company like Nintendo considering the rampant pedophilia and grooming in that scene.

We may never see another official sanctioned/community smash tournament again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I gotta ask cause it's been bothering me...

Why is MK11's story like that?

MK9 you know it's dumb time bullshit made to erase all the lovely post MK3 stories that basically no one liked or cared about and build a clean slate to do something new. MK10 has this cast of largely new characters or old ones shown in new lights that tells an effective if simple plot that seemed to be largely well liked. Lots of cool new antagonists/bad guys who are genuine threats and a glow up for the returning ones and ended with a genuinely interesting status quo (Aggro Raiden threatening invasion to Lord of the Netherrealm Liu Kang). Why did they do dumb timnebullshit reboot again?

What was the point?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

oh hell yeah, didn't realize there was a steam page for it, that's great. thanks for the link!
Bit off topic, but considering the current topic I think that's fine: They just announced a release date, August 7.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

von Braun posted:

he loving hates 3rd strike too

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

MK9 you know it's dumb time bullshit made to erase all the lovely post MK3 stories that basically no one liked or cared about and build a clean slate to do something new. MK10 has this cast of largely new characters or old ones shown in new lights that tells an effective if simple plot that seemed to be largely well liked. Lots of cool new antagonists/bad guys who are genuine threats and a glow up for the returning ones and ended with a genuinely interesting status quo (Aggro Raiden threatening invasion to Lord of the Netherrealm Liu Kang). Why did they do dumb timnebullshit reboot again?

What was the point?

The time shenanigans were to give those new characters a chance to interact with the older characters and to give some of the older characters a chance to actually see their arcs finish.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The time shenanigans were to give those new characters a chance to interact with the older characters and to give some of the older characters a chance to actually see their arcs finish.

That, and you get to see the Kanos eyefuck each other

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

We may never see another official sanctioned/community smash tournament again.

Finally some good news.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a rumour going around about an ASW produced Tales fighter or did I just see someone blow smoke out their rear end?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What was the point?

Mortal Kombat is like professional wrestling. The storylines are constantly being rewritten and it's mostly about seeing your favorite characters team up or turn heel. Maybe in this new timeline my man Baraka will finally, canonically win a match.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Like 90% of the 3D era MK kharacters are dog poo poo too so now they can kreate new stories with the kharacters people like.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

What was the point?

It was one long, convoluted way to get the Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa version of Shang Tsung back

And after going through Aftermath, I think it might have been worth it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Dave posted:

Like 90% of the 3D era MK kharacters are dog poo poo too so now they can kreate new stories with the kharacters people like.

But that was the point of the last time reboot! They made exactly 1 Story with characters people like and then decided to reset it again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Shinji2015 posted:

That, and you get to see the Kanos eyefuck each other

OK, now you sold me on this game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

But that was the point of the last time reboot! They made exactly 1 Story with characters people like and then decided to reset it again.

So they just took their experience from working with DC on Injustice and ran with it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Burn Evo to the ground. None of those people can be trusted to build a safe tournament after turning a blind eye to Wiz for literal decades. Ban all the old school left coast crew.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

What was the point?

I feel that part of it is that Kronika is supposed to be a meta take on fighting game storylines. After MKX, things were mostly fairly positive, all things considered. Then Kronika pops up, out to create a timeline of endless conflict (for familial reasons, but still) and rewrites reality so that all the classic characters from the glory days are back just the way we remember them.

What I'm trying to say is, give us Kronika vs. Superboy Prime in the next crossover game.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there a rumour going around about an ASW produced Tales fighter or did I just see someone blow smoke out their rear end?

Please don't tease me like this. Are you thinking of Tales of ACS, the fan fighting game?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

What was the point?

They caught it off DC in the crossover

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

MK11 was fun when I played it with my friend last year but I don't wanna get it because of Rousey's involvement

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zeether posted:

MK11 was fun when I played it with my friend last year but I don't wanna get it because of Rousey's involvement
I don't think she has any dialogue in the expansion outside of like one recycled line, so I guess NRS got the message.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

OK, now you sold me on this game.

The story mode is worth it just to see the Kanos and the Johnnys interact with each other

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

bamco and arcsys have been working very closely in recent years, and the end of this year is the tales franchise's 25th anniversary, and a fighting game makes sense for a franchise that already took direct inspiration from the genre, so I wouldn't say it's completely impossible, but I haven't been able to find any evidence of credible rumors, just people going 'it'd be cool.' And between GranBlue DLC, Strive, Cross Tag DLC, and DBFZ DLC, I can't imagine ArcSys has much room on their plate.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They still making cross tag chars?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

They still making cross tag chars?
Probably at some point? It'd be weird to launch CROSS TAG 2.0!! and not follow up on it and there's plenty of blazblue/persona/unist characters who arent in yet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

Probably at some point? It'd be weird to launch CROSS TAG 2.0!! and not follow up on it and there's plenty of blazblue/persona/unist characters who arent in yet

Cool, I figured there'd be more cross tag in the future but I wasn't sure if this was a specific rumor I missed

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
see my yuri/rita team at [evo replacement] 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

see my yuri/rita team at [evo replacement] 2021

my main worry with a tales fighter would be that they focus on all the popular sword dude protagonists from the popular games, hopefully if there ever is some kind of tales fighting game they get the 'yeah you can put in whoever you feel like would work well' approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/Filipinoman/status/1278964263927898112?s=20