Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Chev posted:

Eh, american or not, claims they're fixing the genre mostly make me think of how MVCI or Fantasy Strike were gonna fix the fighting game genre.

Yeah even without taking the racial connotations into it it reads like...every bad fan game talking itself up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't know the orientations, genders, or even what my favorite fighting game characters look like because they're all functions.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Oh I was talking more about karate champ and it’s ilk vs sf2 than about claims made by marketing teams and overconfident creators!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

I don't know the orientations, genders, or even what my favorite fighting game characters look like because they're all functions.

Choose your fighter:

Function: Lesbian

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My dream fighting game is eternal fighter zero (a fighting game based on mostly a bunch of realworld romcoms with no action) but with yuri manga

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Nazzadan posted:

Give Marduk meter for s4

I hope the gay mecha stomp you out of existence.

Craig too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

My dream fighting game is eternal fighter zero (a fighting game based on mostly a bunch of realworld romcoms with no action) but with yuri manga

Sonic Bloom Into You

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i can and do read all of my mains as either gay or bisexual

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Even the robots, or especially the robots?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

I main the Citrus girls who are the carl clover of the game as they're always just being weirdly controlling of the other.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Okay. I've slept a bit, I'm going to try to explain myself better than I have, and with less performative sass. Okay?

Endorph posted:

no i felt extremely attacked and harassed and didnt feel like it was a reasonable conversation at all. and i wasnt trying to be dismissive, like i said, heaven will be mine is fine.

if this is your argument tho mecha's been gay forever. like if this isn't about 'some people express a desire to mack on people of similar genders' and is instead about theming then i could sit here all day talking about queer themes in freaking fafner in the azure. or that people would be more willing to buy, ssss. gridman.

im not here to take something away from you and if it came across like i was, i apologize. my point was just that there's a large variety of stuff out there that people deny themselves when they lean hard into giving too much credit to one person or one thing. i think a convos more interesting when stuff exists in a long lineage rather than when it comes out of the ether. and if that didnt get across, again, im sorry.

Okay. So. In my original post that started all this, all I was trying to say was, I am happy that <writer whose work I enjoy> was hired by <topical studio>, in part because her work features a lot of bold and complex queer themes. I don't think I was saying that she was gonna invent queerness in fighting games or mecha.

I said that in a hyperbolic shitpost that called We Know the Devil and Heaven Will Be Mine "the only two good video games" because this is something awful and I was trying to be cute and funny. I like the games a lot, they're very important to me, I wish more people played them. But I didn't think I was making a big statement.

Your reply felt like you were taking a swing at my post and at the author's credibility, reducing something I care a lot about to "slapping lesbians in <x>, acting like that's revolutionary, and calling it a day." It felt out of nowhere and it pissed me off, because that reduced a lot of really nuanced queer writing to an ego flex. Again, pretty sure neither I, nor the author, nor any of the game's official copy said that she was ever the first to do it--the co-creators have been pretty open that HWBM evolved from a love of messy queer Char/Amuro/Lalah Sune fan poo poo. So saying any of the creators were acting like they invented something felt like an unwarranted slap in the face. (Maybe the Polygon/Kotaku/Vice coverage or w/e acted like it was the first time a mecha has been gay, idk they get like that sometimes.)

So I tried to simultaneously express that I never claimed, and I'm p sure Aevee never claimed, that she had or was going to "invent" or "revolutionize" queerness in either genre, while at the same time trying to establish that the previous games were way more involved than cheap cash-ins on queerness for clout...and ended up faceplanting the argument and contradicting myself. Fine, that's on me for tripping over my own feet. So let me say it again: None of this is NEW or UNPRECEDENTED or FIXING THE GENRE. Gay poo poo has been around everywhere forever, at most it's just working its way to the surface like a splinter in skin. Aevee Bee just does it in a way I really like and think is worth highlighting/celebrating, and if that found its way into a new fighting game, I would be really happy.

Okay? Is that clearer?

(I do think she'd do a better job at working with queerness than certain specific contemporaries in fighting game writing: I'm a huge fan of Guilty Gear, but its handling of its queer and queer-adjacent characters leaves a lot to be desired, and it sometimes feels like the writers have been doing a REALLY elaborate no-homo dance around the whole Sol/Ky thing since the Overture days. But that's not inventing or revolutionizing, that's at best refinement, but that's just something I think every queer person writing queer themes in any genre space is trying to do in some sense? Heck, Cygames/Granblue is certainly doing a lot better with the subject than other ArcSys mainlines have ever done.

And again, all this is based entirely on groundless speculation that Future Club would want to do another fighting game. But this is the fighting game thread, so.)

Endorph posted:

This is also my dream, and the dream of every right thinking person on this Earth. Gonna main Saint-Juste on day 1, zone everyone out with uncrossable emotional distance.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love Raphael and wish I liked sc6 more.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Yoshimitsu doesn't even know about sex

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

In Training posted:

I love Raphael and wish I liked sc6 more.

in theory sc seems like a really cool game but it just always feels so bleh to play

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Some of the things written over the past few pages seems to form words that are vaguely familiar but I will be damned if I have a clue about anything related to lesbian fan fic derails. I am however onboard with a new King of Fighters game since both XIII and XIV are good and fun and I wish more people played them so I could find people as equally poo poo as me.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Choose your fighter:

I heard this in the Street Fighter Alpha 3 announcer voice and can't stop laughing

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
My dream fighting game is one I will play for longer than a month.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I am watching vids of Max going through MvC:I's story mode for his second time;

So let me get this straight, Ryu probably can't drive and can't even use a computer, but he's out here with Bruce Banner studying dimensional anomalies?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MechaX posted:

So let me get this straight, Ryu probably can't drive and can't even use a computer, but he's out here with Bruce Banner studying dimensional anomalies?

The answer lies in the heart of battle, of course. Ryu can solve any mystery, but he must fight to do so.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 23, 2020

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

The answer lies in the heart of battle, of course. Ryu can solve any mystery, but he must fight to do so.

Most of science will actually reveal itself to a hearty shoryuken, little known fact

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MechaX posted:

He explicitly says he's there as a bodyguard why does everyone miss this

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

He explicitly says he's there as a bodyguard why does everyone miss this

Unless he mentions this later, he... definitely does not lead off with just being a bodyguard when Black Panther (and the Monster Hunter too) are interrogating him

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MechaX posted:

Unless he mentions this later, he... definitely does not lead off with just being a bodyguard when Black Panther (and the Monster Hunter too) are interrogating him

I definitely remember somebody saying he was a bodyguard because I got frustrated with that during a stream because everyone was going "RYU'S A SCIENTIST??" over the line that addresses it but gently caress if I'm going to rewatch the MvCI story mode to figure out exactly when

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Your reply felt like you were taking a swing at my post and at the author's credibility, reducing something I care a lot about to "slapping lesbians in <x>, acting like that's revolutionary, and calling it a day."
This wasn't my intent at all. Literally, I was just complaining about a tweet I'd seen, from the creator, saying 'imagine mecha, but gay.' it used to be her pinned tweet. it is not anymore and as you've said they've been open about it so they've presumably walked back that kinda flex. i was not accusing the game's writing of being bad or basic or of 'slapping lesbians' in or anything, and I wasn't accusing them or using lesbianism to cash in or get clout or anything.

Also I don't really think Guilty Gear is doing a nohomo thing with Ky and Sol or anything. Ky and Dizzy has been a thing in the series since Dizzy was introduced, Sol's dead girlfriend has been a plot point since the series started. If it was an intentional attempt to keep fangirls from shipping them they'd have them stop interacting in casual, friendly ways and would distance the characters from each other, not still have funny moments of them bouncing off each other, and it would have started after they realized fangirls were shipping them, not before they would have even had a chance to. And Venom isn't the first gay dude in video games or anything but he's a relatively non-stereotyped, explicitly gay character who's afforded some amount of sympathy by the narrative, gets a decent amount of plot focus, and has been around since like 2002. Not saying Guilty Gear is perfect or anything but of all the series to single out it's a weird one to pick.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 23, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I definitely remember somebody saying he was a bodyguard because I got frustrated with that during a stream because everyone was going "RYU'S A SCIENTIST??" over the line that addresses it but gently caress if I'm going to rewatch the MvCI story mode to figure out exactly when

You.. you know I can just take your word for it that someone else mentions it at some point, you don't have to rewatch MvCI's story mode for this (even if this story mode looks unintentionally hilarious)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MechaX posted:

You.. you know I can just take your word for it that someone else mentions it at some point, you don't have to rewatch MvCI's story mode for this (even if this story mode looks unintentionally hilarious)

Look I'm not used to being taken for my word on this forum

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

brand engager posted:

Yoshimitsu doesn't even know about sex

Pretty sure this is explicitly untrue of the Soul Calibur Yoshimitsu because he’s the ancestor of the Tekken Yoshimitsu.

To be fair, he might learn about it in the future relative to the time period of the games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yoshimitsu reproduces by budding

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Zato is a groomer and there should be more focus on how he damaged Venom and Millia send tweet

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Also I don't really think Guilty Gear is doing a nohomo thing with Ky and Sol or anything. Ky and Dizzy has been a thing in the series since Dizzy was introduced, Sol's dead girlfriend has been a plot point since the series started. If it was an intentional attempt to keep fangirls from shipping them they'd have them stop interacting in casual, friendly ways and would distance the characters from each other, not still have funny moments of them bouncing off each other, and it would have started after they realized fangirls were shipping them, not before they would have even had a chance to. And Venom isn't the first gay dude in video games or anything but he's a relatively non-stereotyped, explicitly gay character who's afforded some amount of sympathy by the narrative, gets a decent amount of plot focus, and has been around since like 2002. Not saying Guilty Gear is perfect or anything but of all the series to single out it's a weird one to pick.

It's hosed up but dudes can just be friends.

Also was'nt it Sol's wife? That's not relevant but I just half remember GG lore because, well, it's GG lore.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I prefer to think of Yoshimitsu as a weird immortal alien and that Tekken Yoshi and SC Yoshi are the same dude.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is a sick "theory" that should not be allowed to be posted on these forums

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also was'nt it Sol's wife? That's not relevant but I just half remember GG lore because, well, it's GG lore.
they had a daughter together (see: dizzy) but i dont think its ever stated if they were married or if they were living in sin (no not that one)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's probably not good from like, a representation perspective but I'm pretty sure shippers actually prefer it when dudes are in a perpetual state of ambiguous UST.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

they had a daughter together (see: dizzy) but i dont think its ever stated if they were married or if they were living in sin (no not that one)

I feel like Sol's definitely putting a ring on it. He's got that sweet himbo energy with his relationships. Like DS9 era worf.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Sol and Ky don't have the vibe gay angst in denial.

However, Sol and Ky absolutely have the vibe of that couple that hooked up once, didn't wind up digging it, then has to keep dealing with the fallout as life keeps conspiring to make every future moment between the two as awkward as possible.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Endorph posted:

IIRC Sol and Aria never married because Sol was working himself to death trying to find a cure for Aria's terminal illness--which is EXACTLY the reason she didn't want Asuka/That Man to tell him about her disease, she wanted them to actually spend time together instead of leaving her to die alone while he chased shadows. I'm not 100% if she even knew she was pregnant when she died, but I'm pretty sure Sol didn't know. Which is why she didn't actually give birth until after she had been resurrected from the grave as a bioweapon abomination.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Chev posted:

Eh, american or not, claims they're fixing the genre mostly make me think of how MVCI or Fantasy Strike were gonna fix the fighting game genre.

Geiger's power is that of clockwork because he is a character that takes patience to play. "Take your time," he would probably say.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Choose your fighter:

King/Kasumi/K' is the top tier team in KOF 2002 UM :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Even the robots, or especially the robots?

Buddy, Alisa Bosconovich is like, mega gay.