Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Alpha 3 had cool music though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
or just play x-ism dhalsim

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

inthesto posted:

Alpha 2 actually plays like a Street Fighter game.

e: To be less flippant about it, SFA2 has SF footsies that you're used to, fireballs actually do something, combos do real amounts of damage, etc. The only real complaints about SFA2 I can see are Valle CCs and Chun.

Compare to A3 where everything has noodly hitboxes, non-metered combos do 5%, and the entire game is either fishing for a CC or playing around it.

Wow ok I can see that now. Why would you change up the entire gameplay in the same subseries. :psyduck:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

cloofish posted:

Wow ok I can see that now. Why would you change up the entire gameplay in the same subseries. :psyduck:

It was fun at the time when I was a total scrub, much like I am now

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Parallax Scroll posted:

It was fun at the time when I was a total scrub, much like I am now

So say we all...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
A3 looks cool, sounds cool and in a very superficial level it's just "A2, but with MORE THINGS", it's not like they went from A2 to EX in the same series. It's just that those "more things" changed a lot about the game and you start feeling it the more you understand about fighting games.

Doesn't Daigo (and Japan) love that game, anyway? They really like their execution and setgame there.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
a3 looks loving awesome when you counterhit fierce someone because the entire screen tells you "THEY GOT FUCED UP"

but then you look at the damage and it's like 4% of their lifebar

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Dias posted:

A3 looks cool, sounds cool and in a very superficial level it's just "A2, but with MORE THINGS", it's not like they went from A2 to EX in the same series. It's just that those "more things" changed a lot about the game and you start feeling it the more you understand about fighting games.

Doesn't Daigo (and Japan) love that game, anyway? They really like their execution and setgame there.

From what I've heard, Japan in general doesn't like A2 and I think I've heard Daigo say A3 is his favorite game :psyduck:

I think of all of A3's problems, the gap between metered and non-metered damage is by far the worst. Meterless combos barely scratching lifebars and metered combos doing 50% or more is pretty inexcusable.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
It's funny b/c most Alpha 3 tournaments I've seen Japan run in Mi-Ka-Do, et. al ban V-Ism now.

Which does happen to fix a good bit of the game's problems, though it's still massively unbalanced, hitboxes are weird, fireballs (except Cody's) are too weak...

Japan has always hated Alpha 2 tho; probably the first competitive FG in history where America had a clear advantage in skill level and discovering tech.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Is Sentinel secretly a bird

That would explain a lot

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Baal posted:

If he didn't fuckin ban petshop what makes you think he's gonna ban anyone in svc chaos

I guess...

Tessa and Chun are way better than most of the "bosses" anyway...

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

So branching off that, I've been a white noise poster in threads like this but I want to at least semi-competently start playing these games. Some backstory: I played arcade fighters in my childhood but my first real fighter was Street Fighter II Turbo on WiiWare in 2007, when I would have been 13 or 14 (lol). I started playing mugen by the next year (double lol), but at the very least that helped introduce me to a wide variety of fighting games. Anyway in practice I'm an '09er and in fact my first paycheck was spent on that Madcatz 2-for-1 fightstick deal way back when.

So, to be more direct, I've recently started liking games like ST and 98 because normals and specials in games like that feel really chunky and good, plus there are no intricate combos or anything. Any other recommendations? I've heard Breaker's Revenge is cool and good. And is the best way to get better to be owned on fightcade?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The best way to get better in this age is to learn as much about system mechanics as you can, then watch *really good players* with that knowledge to learn how/why they do things. Then try those things in those situations in matches, see when they do and don't work, try to learn why it did or didn't work. This applies to almost every aspect of the game.

On top of that, just playing a lot (with the right mindset) and getting your execution and muscle memory down. Do your best to recognize bad habits/patterns in your game and force yourself out of them. People say to not care about winning, but they really mean you shouldn't get discouraged if you're losing and shouldn't get complacent if you're winning. You should care about Winning Better, meaning even if you're beating someone there is always something to improve *even in that specific player matchup* that will help you out against everyone else.

Playing is the most important thing, but a lot of people play a ton without putting that play into context, which studying mechanics and videos of top players helps you do. Playing against good players who can actively give you advice helps, but that's often not available so learning from high level play is one of the next best things.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
You'll play more if you're having fun while playing so don't play sf5.

Re: Combos part, muscle memory. Keep it simple and approach them in chunks.

Star with simple strings until you know better. It's super discouraging when you are playing but only fishing for a specific combo, odds are you'll gently caress up alot trying to get it or force it where it doesn't belong. They look cool, but don't bug yourself out if it takes weeks or longer to get your tough combos down.
It'll broaden game choice a lot if you realize that they have importance but aren't important if you don't have basics anyway.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

inthesto posted:

Meterless combos barely scratching lifebars and metered combos doing 50% or more is pretty inexcusable.

hey man kof14 isn't THAT bad

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The best way to get better in this age is to learn as much about system mechanics as you can, then watch *really good players* with that knowledge to learn how/why they do things. Then try those things in those situations in matches, see when they do and don't work, try to learn why it did or didn't work. This applies to almost every aspect of the game.

On top of that, just playing a lot (with the right mindset) and getting your execution and muscle memory down. Do your best to recognize bad habits/patterns in your game and force yourself out of them. People say to not care about winning, but they really mean you shouldn't get discouraged if you're losing and shouldn't get complacent if you're winning. You should care about Winning Better, meaning even if you're beating someone there is always something to improve *even in that specific player matchup* that will help you out against everyone else.

Playing is the most important thing, but a lot of people play a ton without putting that play into context, which studying mechanics and videos of top players helps you do. Playing against good players who can actively give you advice helps, but that's often not available so learning from high level play is one of the next best things.

Thanks bep. I guess my two biggest flaws are 1.) I don't watch enough high-level matches and 2.) I only play against my scrub friends who don't want to get better, which is cool, but personally I want to be at least competent.

Better start at least participating in goon tournies I guess.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The good thing about online being a thing nowadays is that you can fix #2 by joining some local groups (doesn't even need to be in your city, just a state thing) and trying to finagle online matches. Old and "smaller" games are cool because people are so starved for new players they don't mind wiping you a couple hundred times while giving you advice - which I find more fun than playing random scrubs on ranked, learning almost nothing other than "someone WOULD reversal/jump in this situation, huh?".

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

cloofish posted:

Thanks bep. I guess my two biggest flaws are 1.) I don't watch enough high-level matches and 2.) I only play against my scrub friends who don't want to get better, which is cool, but personally I want to be at least competent.

See you in SvC Chaos tomorrow :)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I watch tons of high level matches but barely ever play so I'm probably hella good by now

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

cloofish posted:

don't waste your time playing fg with poo poo tier trash that doesn't want to improve. play "party games" or "couch multiplayer" instead imo

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Shiki Dan posted:

See you in SvC Chaos tomorrow :)

I will try to make it. :)

Zand posted:

don't waste your time playing fg with poo poo tier trash that doesn't want to improve. play "party games" or "couch multiplayer" instead imo

I want to at least reach the rank of "Goon Jobber", Zand.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Shiki Dan posted:

It's funny b/c most Alpha 3 tournaments I've seen Japan run in Mi-Ka-Do, et. al ban V-Ism now.

Which does happen to fix a good bit of the game's problems, though it's still massively unbalanced, hitboxes are weird, fireballs (except Cody's) are too weak...

Japan has always hated Alpha 2 tho; probably the first competitive FG in history where America had a clear advantage in skill level and discovering tech.

Removing v-ism from A3 is removing the only remotely interesting thing about the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dropping 40 straight wins on your friends FTW

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

cloofish posted:

I will try to make it. :)

I want to at least reach the rank of "Goon Jobber", Zand.

playing in an environment where people are "funhavers" that actively seek to not improve or do not mind performing poorly will make it difficult to even reach the "goon jobber" rank. attitude and environment are two of the biggest challenges in learning fighting games.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What Zand is saying is, if you're actually trying to get better and your friends are not, you will achieve nothing if you continue to play with them. Your friends will not have fun because as you get better you'll learn their habits and effortlessly pound them into greasy smears, and you will not have fun because after a point (and if your friends are as bad as you say, this point will come quickly) you'll stop being challenged. You could try going easy on them but then you would be going directly against your stated objective of getting better at the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

cloofish posted:

Alpha 3 only exists because SF3 and CPS3 were an unexpected flop and they were told they had to keep milking the old hardware for longer than anticipated, so it's something thrown together by whoever hadn't already moved onto something else.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 14, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AnonSpore posted:

What Zand is saying is, if you're actually trying to get better and your friends are not, you will achieve nothing if you continue to play with them. Your friends will not have fun because as you get better you'll learn their habits and effortlessly pound them into greasy smears, and you will not have fun because after a point (and if your friends are as bad as you say, this point will come quickly) you'll stop being challenged. You could try going easy on them but then you would be going directly against your stated objective of getting better at the game.

Zand posted:

playing in an environment where people are "funhavers" that actively seek to not improve or do not mind performing poorly will make it difficult to even reach the "goon jobber" rank. attitude and environment are two of the biggest challenges in learning fighting games.

Alright, alright. I suppose I can just stop playing with my friends, and instead just have a beer and watch them play. You're absolutely right, Zand, in that continually playing casual games will improve nothing.

e:

In Training posted:

Dropping 40 straight wins on your friends FTW

Ok gotta do this at least once though.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 14, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he's saying go out to locals and grind out combos in practice mode. nobody's saying 'stop playing with your friends,' (zand is but zand's a gremlin) just that you won't get any better by doing it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playing video games with people is fun, try not to forget that in your quest for eSports cashola

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If you're not Good At Fighting Games, just do what I did and pick characters/archetypes you're unfamiliar with and try doing fancy poo poo when you play with scrub-level friends. It's a no-pressure opportunity to try them out against human opponents, even if they're terrible. I mean, unless they're "roll face over buttons" terrible, then I dunno.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

zand will never be proud of you so just have fun out there

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

beating your friends bad enough to make them stop playing with you is a time honored tradition among fg players

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

In Training posted:

Playing video games with people is fun, try not to forget that in your quest for eSports cashola

Endorph posted:

he's saying go out to locals and grind out combos in practice mode. nobody's saying 'stop playing with your friends,' (zand is but zand's a gremlin) just that you won't get any better by doing it.

Ok well I live in Houston so I could probably find competition at even my university. Better work from there, I guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only game I'm good enough at that I could demolish people forever in is guilty gear but nobody wants to play guilty gear so we just gently caress around in DOA5 which i don't think anybody on the planet knows how to play

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The command list for characters in DOA5 is mind numbingly huge

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Houston has very lively fg scenes

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

cloofish posted:

Alright, alright. I suppose I can just stop playing with my friends, and instead just have a beer and watch them play. You're absolutely right, Zand, in that continually playing casual games will improve nothing.

no actually you should keep owning them im not suggesting you dont play them. i think variety in opponents is good. i just think that playing people like that exclusively wont help. eventually once you get better and better it wont be fun for them unless they get a "taste for blood" or a "yearning for battle" or whatever you want to call it. i know that in learning fgs a lot of players have a turning point where they feel a desire or some sort of craving for competition where the idea of trying/seeking stronger battles seems less like a chore and more like something they really want.

everyone starts out flailing around, or hating "spammers," or under the delusion that fighting games are hard before they even get to the point of being a scrub. some people just never make it to scrub status even and those people will eventually be people you dont want to play with and people that won't want to play with you, and there isnt anything wrong with that. this isnt just true in fgs, its true in most games. i still remember the day nobody would play scrabble with me anymore :[

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

There's a variety of cool people that I want to respond to but I'm phone posting so...

Anyway Houston is a big as gently caress city so I'll try to work from there. I have no delusions of grandeur, but at least look out for me in the coming months.

e: I grew up in Pittsburgh and apparently there's a pretty big scene around there too?

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 14, 2016

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I believe Houston is a pretty good place to be right now for guilty gear, have you considered giving that a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mintergalactic posted:

I believe Houston is a pretty good place to be right now for guilty gear, have you considered giving that a try

Heaven or Hell or Houston