Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Watched my buddy go through Injustice 2's story mode last night. It was so good. Lmao at SFV's story mode in comparison, and I even like SFV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

zooted heh posted:

hows injustice on a fight stick? I've never played a game made by them and if its anything like mk I haven't played since 3. How many buttons are used?

I'm playing on stick and it's fine. If you do get it make sure you turn off negative edge and input shortcuts, they're way too sensitive and caused me to get accidental moves all the time. With those turned off it plays great.

It uses 6 buttons (4 attack buttons, meter burn, and interactible)

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i should have kept a closer eye on the injustice thread, the best part of nrs games is alwayss when they release and new people get mad about fg mechanics

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i should have kept a closer eye on the injustice thread, the best part of nrs games is alwayss when they release and new people get mad about fg mechanics

We should be grateful for them giving us the very good and useful term "finger puzzles".

Veib fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 17, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
it's a really good thread. it's a weird gross window in to what Joe six pack understands about fighters

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Bring up tier lists in that thread for a good time

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

(with regards to scrub player) why is "tier lists don't matter unless you're world champion level" such a pervasive idea for fighters? especially when, in games like league, this sentiment is not nearly as prominent

Zand fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 17, 2017

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Zand posted:

why is "tier lists don't matter unless you're world champion level" such a pervasive idea for fighters? especially when, in games like league, this sentiment is not nearly as prominent

I got owned by a jam player in rev 1.0

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Zand posted:

(with regards to scrub player) why is "tier lists don't matter unless you're world champion level" such a pervasive idea for fighters? especially when, in games like league, this sentiment is not nearly as prominent

Because League has a lower individual skill cap.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Nobody makes tier lists for low or mid level players.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

may contain peanuts posted:

I played Injustice 2 last night for like 4 hours and based on that experience I am going to play it more tonight. That's my review of the game.

Here are some reviews from Floe

https://clips.twitch.tv/JoyousSilkyMomDogFace

https://clips.twitch.tv/PatientSpotlessAnacondaCharlietheUnicorn

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Zand posted:

Depends on the game IMO. For what it's worth, I feel like tiers are pretty meaningless for low level Guilty Gear, where as I 'feel' tiers a lot more in poo poo level Smash (lol). Probably cause GG's strong universal defensive options are pretty easy to access while the serious offensive bullshit tends to take a bit more work to implement.

Unless you're Millia, I guess. Although totally anecdotally my mediocre friend who plays her is devastated by losing the old j.H in Rev 2 because that was his easy way to set up knockdowns into oki mixups, so maybe that will make life easier for everyone else.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
In league you always have popular streamers go from bronze to challenger running dumb poo poo. Like, seriously sub-optimal poo poo in every way imaginable until high diamond. The skill cap is actually very high in every way.

Also, I didn't realize injustice 2 doesn't have a PC release. Doesn't NRS have a history regarding PC releases?

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.
WB Games seems to not have any clue how to do or allocate resources for PC ports since MKX and that newest Batman game both had atrocious PC launches.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

WB Games seems to not have any clue how to do or allocate resources for PC ports since MKX and that newest Batman game both had atrocious PC launches.

You mean when they fixed it with MKXL and had the other great ports like Shadows of Mordor and Just Cause 3?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

You mean when they fixed it with MKXL and had the other great ports like Shadows of Mordor and Just Cause 3?

he said launches

and nrs sucks for pc, I wouldn't trust them after they dropped support halfway through one of their mortal kombat games

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zand posted:

Tier lists are made based on tournament data and the idea is the players competing in those tournaments are using all the tools available to those characters well. When you're a scrub in a fighting game you are very much aware you are a scrub (most of the time) and so that information doesn't seem necessary. Further, most of the time when you are starting out, dedicating yourself to characters you find fun or are willing to spend more time with will pay more dividends insofar as success, not because the character is better but because you are willing to spend time with that character. So even though if you spent the same amount of time learning Laura that you did F.A.N.G. you would be doing better, the fact that you like F.A.N.G. means you will actually spend the time.

Whereas in games like league, bad players don't know they are bad. They think they keep losing because of bad teammates or what have you. So they don't think they need to spend the time learning and just gravitate to whatever is the tier whore dujour.

At least that is what I can tell from my league playing friends, I hate team based competitive games and wont touch them because I like knowing I lost because of me so I will actually work to improve myself versus blaming it on some pub or what have you.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Zand posted:

he said launches

and nrs sucks for pc, I wouldn't trust them after they dropped support halfway through one of their mortal kombat games

Yes the launch for MKXL was awesome.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

isn't mkxl their apology release though?

and also with the tier lists, they are just collections of matchup data generally. a good tier list can provide valuable insight in to how things should play out.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zand posted:

isn't mkxl their apology release though?

and also with the tier lists, they are just collections of matchup data generally. a good tier list can provide valuable insight in to how things should play out.

I don't disagree with you. I look at tier lists to help decide who I need as my secondary character in most fighters. Usually I choose my main based on who I enjoy the most(90% of the time its a butter churning grappler) and then my secondary is someone who covers the holes in that guys game plan. Zangief and Dictator seem to work as a decent pair for most matches I play.

I was just stating what my logic was (as in how I used to think), and the logic I see parroted when it comes to ignoring tier lists.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Most fg players respect and reference tiers. New players are told they don't matter so they don't become obsessed with picking the best char or discouraged because they wanna play Dan. The answer these players are looking for is how to pick a char they won't regret, rather than any interest in tiers as an impact on their play or learning matchups. It's also why tier lists weighing things like execution and gameplay complexity are being produced occasionally, to answer that question in a better way.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I like to think that, for tier lists to be more applicable for low level players, there needs to be a second axis to the tier list. Lists are usually a sample from the high end of the skill spectrum, but as you move the "player skill" slider down, the tier list often changes because either (a) players can't yet make use of the tech that makes a char strong at high levels, or (b) players aren't skilled enough to deal with some chars' moves, which may have solid answers at higher levels.

I like to think that "gate keepers" are just high-tier chars at the low end of the skill spectrum.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Madmarker posted:

Tier lists are made based on tournament data and the idea is the players competing in those tournaments are using all the tools available to those characters well. When you're a scrub in a fighting game you are very much aware you are a scrub (most of the time) and so that information doesn't seem necessary. Further, most of the time when you are starting out, dedicating yourself to characters you find fun or are willing to spend more time with will pay more dividends insofar as success, not because the character is better but because you are willing to spend time with that character. So even though if you spent the same amount of time learning Laura that you did F.A.N.G. you would be doing better, the fact that you like F.A.N.G. means you will actually spend the time.

Whereas in games like league, bad players don't know they are bad. They think they keep losing because of bad teammates or what have you. So they don't think they need to spend the time learning and just gravitate to whatever is the tier whore dujour.

At least that is what I can tell from my league playing friends, I hate team based competitive games and wont touch them because I like knowing I lost because of me so I will actually work to improve myself versus blaming it on some pub or what have you.

u dont say

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
my favorite thing about that thread is that there are ppl claiming to be gods with poo poo tier fighters yet I've never seen them post in any other fighting game threads.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

zooted heh posted:

my favorite thing about that thread is that there are ppl claiming to be gods with poo poo tier fighters yet I've never seen them post in any other fighting game threads.

They're too busy sweeping tournaments, obviously.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

That's great and all but I don't see anything wrong with warning people that a PC release from WB might have serious issues because there have been games they have released in the recent past with serious, PC-only issues. The original launch of MKX on PC was basically non-functional and you telling me how great JC3's port is doesn't do me much good if I'm out $60 on a different game that is actually broken.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

zooted heh posted:

I'm decidedly lovely. I'm not quite scrub tier, but you best believe I drown in pools.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 17, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I am ready for Tekken. Was considering Injustice 2 but am not really interested in most of the cast.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Tier lists are good, you just can't obsess over them and assume every loss you had was because of a "bad matchup". This is how we get SFV, where everyone sucks and people want the less sucky ones to suck more. I do think the whole "you're too bad for them to matter" loses validity quite fast, as long as you understand a better character won't overcome a significant skill gap.

NRS (and WB) has a bad history on PC but they've been better recently. Still, I got burned with MKX and I'd rather not repeat the same mistakes. It would be great if info about the porting company was more accessible tho, there's a couple infamous ones.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Dias posted:

Tier lists are good, you just can't obsess over them and assume every loss you had was because of a "bad matchup". This is how we get SFV, where everyone sucks and people want the less sucky ones to suck more. I do think the whole "you're too bad for them to matter" loses validity quite fast, as long as you understand a better character won't overcome a significant skill gap.

NRS (and WB) has a bad history on PC but they've been better recently. Still, I got burned with MKX and I'd rather not repeat the same mistakes. It would be great if info about the porting company was more accessible tho, there's a couple infamous ones.

Tier lists are dumb. Any character can be god-like if you play them enough to learn everything about them, Dan was the best part about SF4.

People who swear by tier lists are usually the people who win by spamming poo poo.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Madmarker posted:

If you lose in a team based game, it's because of you, hth.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Carebearz posted:

Tier lists are dumb. Any character can be god-like if you play them enough to learn everything about them, Dan was the best part about SF4.

People who swear by tier lists are usually the people who win by spamming poo poo.

:bisonyes:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arzachel posted:

If you lose in a team based game, it's because of you, hth.

Eh, I'd rather not play them in the first place.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

Carebearz posted:

lmfao

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

giogadi posted:

I like to think that, for tier lists to be more applicable for low level players, there needs to be a second axis to the tier list. Lists are usually a sample from the high end of the skill spectrum, but as you move the "player skill" slider down, the tier list often changes because either (a) players can't yet make use of the tech that makes a char strong at high levels, or (b) players aren't skilled enough to deal with some chars' moves, which may have solid answers at higher levels.

I like to think that "gate keepers" are just high-tier chars at the low end of the skill spectrum.

I've seen some GG tier charts where they have ease of use along one axis, and competitive viability along another.

Carebearz posted:

help.. i keep walking into fireball.. pls stop spamming

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You'd think "tiers are good but you shouldn't obsess over them" would be reasonable enough but alas...

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Carebearz posted:

I thought there was a containment thread for nrs posters

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDgsAef3-Pk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

I enjoy laughing at idiots as much as the next person but the fgc breeds the sort of people who change their tune real fuckin quick when they are exposed to o.sagat or any of the other countless cheap fg tactics the typical scrub has to deal with. "It's a scrubquote when that guy complains but a legitimate gripe when I complain" is one of the most singularly obnoxious character traits a fg player can develop and I encourage everyone to avoid falling into that trap.