Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

anothergod posted:

This image in particular is very fightman unfriendly, but it shows off the direction we want to take the lights.

What the gently caress is a "fightman"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Speaking of readability, is it just tradition for every Arcsys game to have one stage that's almost entirely red?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

mycot posted:

Speaking of readability, is it just tradition for every Arcsys game to have one stage that's almost entirely red?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTPBDi0zaMs

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://a.pomf.cat/nkjswy.webm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

just like how every french bread game has five different church stages

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

inthesto posted:

LB2 is just a high damage game across the board, to the point where combo damage has to be hardcapped at something like 75%

Does the PS4 release support PS3 sticks? I assume the answer is no, but I can always hope.

Tried my PS4 stick in PS3 compatibility and dug my old PS3 stick out of the closet, neither worked.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

the coolest part of this stage is instead of white dust all the jump/dash effects are red too

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Just wanna mention in here that GG Revelators demo is fantastic, and the implementation of the legacy controller support is pretty much perfect.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It uses the Skullgirls driver so thank John Bellomy from Naughty Dog for it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NecroMonster posted:

he also uses smash bros as a "point of inspiration" and his game contains absolutely nothing of that either.

he's a disingenuous idiot rear end in a top hat

"inspired by smash bros" is the "roguelike elements" of multiplayer games, i can only think of like 2 games that have ever done it well

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

anime was right posted:

the coolest part of this stage is instead of white dust all the jump/dash effects are red too

it actually varies depending on what part of the stage they're standing on. That's some drat good attention to detail.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My friend and I both got SF 5 for the PS4, and I realllly don't want to invest in a new stick. I got the WWE Brawl Stick working, but it just doesn't feel as good as my TE stick. He got this Xbox 360 to PS4 adapter and claims that it works flawlessly. He's also not quite as into fighting games as I was so I don't fully trust him - has anyone here used it and have any feedback about input lag?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Medullah posted:

My friend and I both got SF 5 for the PS4, and I realllly don't want to invest in a new stick. I got the WWE Brawl Stick working, but it just doesn't feel as good as my TE stick. He got this Xbox 360 to PS4 adapter and claims that it works flawlessly. He's also not quite as into fighting games as I was so I don't fully trust him - has anyone here used it and have any feedback about input lag?

the brooks converters are 100% fine. lag is minimal, and they're tournament approved.

i just bought two of them and they work fine. i may sell them later and just install brooks pcbs into my cabinet but this allows me to be lazy and not feel horrible about it

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

does the converter not time out?

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

does the converter not time out?

Iirc it won't as long as the convertor is fully updated.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

dragon enthusiast posted:

It uses the Skullgirls driver so thank John Bellomy from Naughty Dog for it

Wait I thought SFV also used that driver and just really sucked at implementing it

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Wait I thought SFV also used that driver and just really sucked at implementing it

That is correct, as did MKX at first. Don't know what Naughty Dog has to do with anything.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Koihime Enbu PS4 uses the Skullgirls driver and I haven't heard of any dumb issues related to that game, either.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
John Bellomy of Naughty Dog wrote the driver for Lab Zero. Other companies license it from Lab Zero to use in their games. Not every game implements the driver in the proper way though. I think Revelator is so far the only non-Skullgirls game that's done it the right way.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

In Training posted:

Tried my PS4 stick in PS3 compatibility and dug my old PS3 stick out of the closet, neither worked.

That's what I expected. I guess I'll just be sticking to Fightcade for a while.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Fruitsnacks posted:

John Bellomy of Naughty Dog wrote the driver for Lab Zero. Other companies license it from Lab Zero to use in their games. Not every game implements the driver in the proper way though. I think Revelator is so far the only non-Skullgirls game that's done it the right way.

Yeah, most games that use it require the legacy stick to be paired with a PS4 controller, which can result in issues when the PS4 controller disconnects, which will happen because of the PS4 only having two USB ports meaning only the sticks can be plugged in.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 27, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
does pc revelator or the capcom cash store come out first

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

American friends, Best Buy has the KOF14 LE for $60 instead of $80, possibly a temporary mistake, possibly a big discount to compete with Amazon's 20% discount on preorders? Who knows.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I played Crystal Control II at combo breaker and it is definitely FGOTY (fighting game of the year) if any other goons are here you should go play it in the indie game area, and also check them out on greenlight. It's basically a 2 player vs shmup.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626581378

E: no offense intended to anothergod whose game i also played and enjoyed, but CC2 is the truth.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

American friends, Best Buy has the KOF14 LE for $60 instead of $80, possibly a temporary mistake, possibly a big discount to compete with Amazon's 20% discount on preorders? Who knows.

I just bought this, holy cow. Thank you

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Jmcrofts posted:

I played Crystal Control II at combo breaker and it is definitely FGOTY (fighting game of the year) if any other goons are here you should go play it in the indie game area, and also check them out on greenlight. It's basically a 2 player vs shmup.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626581378

E: no offense intended to anothergod whose game i also played and enjoyed, but CC2 is the truth.

how does this compare to twinkle star sprites?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

interrodactyl posted:

how does this compare to twinkle star sprites?

I was going post this, literally verbatim

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's a pretty different kind of game. There's no enemies/mobs/whatever you wanna call it, and the 2 players are on opposite sides of the screen shooting at each other

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So it's inverse Windjammers

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

inthesto posted:

So it's inverse Windjammers

so its bad

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
So it's senko no Ronde?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Here why don't you see for yourself

https://youtu.be/yheodCDvt3I

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Jmcrofts posted:

Here why don't you see for yourself

https://youtu.be/yheodCDvt3I

I can get down with that music out of the gate, but the game looks like it could be some fun. Thanks for sharing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Got back from Combobreaker. Was very fun. A lot of crazy good sets.

Played King of Fighters XIV and it was about as good as the videos make it look. From my thirty minutes or so playing it, it isn't as good as 2002, but it was more enjoyable than XIII.

I also played the indie titles. Another-god's "Super Combat Junior 2" is actually more fun than it looks, but not by much. The "WTF am I doing" is slightly less of a problem because you yourself are moving the character, but even then so it can be a bit confusing at times. Something that the videos couldn't convey is that the game overcomplicate's itself. Basically you pick between four different weapons and shield in the weapon select screen. Each weapon/shield is tied to a button. So to use the sword you press "O", to use the shield you press "/\" , to use the mallet you press "R1", etc. It really just over-complicates things, it could truly learn from the saying "less is more", as I feel that the game would be much better with only two items rather than four. Even some of the stages are too complicated for their own good, there is one stage in particular that was not only maze-like, but had spikes that struck up from the ground, meaning that you could get lost and die without your opponent actually hitting you. That said, the game isn't all bad and is pretty fun, it just needs some more time in the oven.

Personally there were some really enjoyable indie titles. I felt the best of the bunch was Fearless Night. At first glance it looks like a Melty Blood clone, but when actually playing it, it really is Guilty Gear with all of the fat cut out. If you like Guilty Gear, you should like this game.

There is also Pocket Rumble: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3PKZ_MIhcs&t=16s It is pretty much an updated version of the Neo Geo Pocket MOTM game. It's very fun.

Also, after CB, I like SFV a lot more than before after playing a lot of sets. I'll pick it up some where down the line. I also finally tried UNIEL, but unfortunately I found it boring. :(

EDIT - Also, Jesus gently caress are PS4s difficult to deal with. The whole account thing and controller sync is a headache. I really really wish fighting games would switch over to PCs. There has to be someway to make the games be consistent on modern setups.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 30, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Personally there were some really enjoyable indie titles. I felt the best of the bunch was Fearless Night. At first glance it looks like a Melty Blood clone, but when actually playing it, it really is Guilty Gear with all of the fat cut out. If you like Guilty Gear, you should like this game.

Apart from the character designs this looks like everything I could want from a fighting game (and even those aren't egregiously awful) which immediately makes me suspect that it's never, ever coming out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Apart from the character designs this looks like everything I could want from a fighting game (and even those aren't egregiously awful) which immediately makes me suspect that it's never, ever coming out.

It's making progress. The animations make it seem very unfinished, but gameplay wise it is in a smooth and developed state. I don't know how many characters they have planned, but four were playable in the demo. So they aren't THAT far from being finished. Again, if you like Guilty Gear, but feel that it is a little to complicated for its own good, you will enjoy this game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Fearless Night is Zinac's child and he's been working on it for a while. I don't agree with all of his thoughts on game design and what makes things fun or balanced but he's working really hard on it so you don't need to worry about it never coming out.

Also he's been playing GG for a long time so if you see GG influence in the game you're not imagining things.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Looks neat.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

punk rebel ecks posted:

EDIT - Also, Jesus gently caress are PS4s difficult to deal with. The whole account thing and controller sync is a headache. I really really wish fighting games would switch over to PCs. There has to be someway to make the games be consistent on modern setups.

Doesn't WNF run SFV on PC? I wish that I could say that I knew for certain, but that poo poo runs way past my bedtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
zinac has been working on fearless night for a long time and he's very dedicated to it

it's not my speed but he has a very particular vision for the game and i can appreciate that