Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want to gently caress up your team play Gohan and refuse to block and demand that all your assists cover your sloppy play.

That or demand you and your opponent bow first before fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The main thing is that Fortune has very little in terms of pre-combo setup. The head's either between you and the enemy, behind the enemy, or behind you. The first is dangerous, the second safe but hard to leverage, and the third is what you want most of the time.

You do want to eventually learn head -> headless transition combos but they're super easy compared to some of the other stuff you have to learn to really play Fortune well so w/e.

I don't know if you know this, but there was a change so that the head can walk now, which makes a lot of setup stuff easier now that you can be precise. And I never learned a headless transition combo, and I do alright with her still. It's probably preferred but there's nothing wrong with just finding the right spot in neutral to head toss because of how good it normally is.

Having the head between you and the opponent can be really good actually. It will take damage, but in getting hit it can interrupt the opponent hitting you directly, leaving the body free to punish the opponent. It's also a great asset if you are close enough to hit the head. Hitting the head turns it into a lingering hitbox that's very difficult for a bunch of characters to deal with and nets you a safer approach, and you can jump cancel your launcher (even on block I think) if you hit the head which is extremely useful in many ways.

That said, I think she's more simple than other puppet characters only in that the range of the head is pretty small and that she gets benefits even without manipulating the head itself. So she's a puppet character who doesn't really need to do much puppet stuff, and that's before counting Head-On fortune stuff.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 20, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yes, I know about the head change. It's handy but my point was mostly that you don't need incredibly exacting advance positioning of the head to do most (if not all) of Fortune's good headless combos anyways; even before the change you had really good options for moving it around or for bringing the enemy to the head.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Barudak posted:

If you want to gently caress up your team play Gohan and refuse to block and demand that all your assists cover your sloppy play.

That or demand you and your opponent bow first before fighting.

Goku has a special command where if your teammate is getting their rear end kicked and tries to tag you in you can refuse to help.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Reiley posted:

Goku has a special command where if your teammate is getting their rear end kicked and tries to tag you in you can refuse to help.

its called parenting

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Does Chi Chi have a move where she auto tags in as soon as Gohan takes damage

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
chichi has a mode where if the player is under the age of 18 they have to go to school for the day before they can use training mode

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

In one of the dbz card games my deck was built around Gohan eating a hit which would cause chi chi to enter the battle with a bonus, then play "teacher" buffs until she could one shot frieza

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

can't tag in goku until at least one of your characters has been killed can't power up to full strength until the other one has died as well

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

goku automatically cancels any of his attacks that would land the killing blow into "I'll Give You a Second Chance!". Forcefully tags himself in to perform the same special move whenever one of his teammates would land a killing blow.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
give krillin a counter super where if he gets hit he just dies and the next person comes in powered up

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Captain Baal posted:

She punches and kicks that's good enough

Hell, she doesn't even need that tbh they put Kid Chi Chi into some of these games

"these games" are usually mechanically shallow and FighterZ seems to actively be avoiding that, so I wouldn't use past DB games as a precedent.

Plus they've put a lot of work into showing almost every aspect of these characters in this game comes from something they've done in the anime or manga, and Videl has very, very little to draw from compared to everyone else.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Mr. Heart in the Hokuto no Ken anime is basically just around for a cup of coffee before being killed, and Arc still managed to give him a unique and full-fledged movelist in the HnK game.
I wouldn't really be worried.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

"these games" are usually mechanically shallow and FighterZ seems to actively be avoiding that, so I wouldn't use past DB games as a precedent.

Plus they've put a lot of work into showing almost every aspect of these characters in this game comes from something they've done in the anime or manga, and Videl has very, very little to draw from compared to everyone else.

She is literally one of the Great Saiyamen. Sorry for the spoiler.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah and we barely ever see her fight as the Great Saiyawoman.

But I'm not really worried so much as I think Videl's presence makes the leak rather unreliable.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

videl's an easy sell if you think the devs don't want the game to be a huge sausage fest

her dad barely fights either and you know his rear end is getting in

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want Trunks and Goten standing on top of each others shoulders in a trenchcoat as a character.

Also President Dog.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

yeah and we barely ever see her fight as the Great Saiyawoman.

But I'm not really worried so much as I think Videl's presence makes the leak rather unreliable.

who cares just make something up shes a good character

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Does Chi Chi have a move where she auto tags in as soon as Gohan takes damage
no she just has a lose animation where goku backhands her through a tree

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

I want Trunks and Goten standing on top of each others shoulders in a trenchcoat as a character.

Their name is mighty mask and its more of a kkk outfit than a coat

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Real hurthling! posted:

Their name is mighty mask and its more of a kkk outfit than a coat

he looks like a side character in a Dragon Quest game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TFRazorsaw posted:

Why does the game being more mechanically sound suddenly stop them from adding characters who barely fight when most of these games have those? Like idk what part of you thinks that somehow stops a character from being added but Arcsys does this poo poo all of the time and they do not need movesets to pull from see: Rise, Kokonoe, Mr. Heart, and Celica.

Like I don't think this leak is infallible, but your logic is not really convincing since it's a point that's been proven wrong time and time again.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
nintendo made a full character out of captain falcon

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

nintendo made a full character out of captain falcon

A FUN FACT about that is Falcon's moveset belonged to a character in the original prototype version of what Smash 64 was going to be before they replaced generic characters with Nintendo mascots and made history. He is the prototype gear, he is the Sol Badguy of Smash.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It owns that we're getting chars from later Dragonball Super arcs in DBFZ. I want Hit, the Pride Troopers, the furry trio, the fat magical girl, Beerus (lv5 super: Whis teleports in and punches once) Champa w/ fighting vuvuzela action.......

I hope that one of the costumes for android 18 is just playable 17 with 18 as the assist char.

all of this assuming the leaks are true, ofc, but it seems hella plausible

Sade fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 21, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
beerus should absolutely be in the game and a final boss

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i want.... gotenks

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The training mode should be set in the hyperbolic time chamber.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Goten and Kid Trunks, together, as one character, like a cross between Ice Climbers and an arcsys puppet character, with a transformation super into gotenks

loving hire me, arcsys

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

anime was right posted:

beerus should absolutely be in the game and a final boss

Beerus is good and I agree

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

champa with vuvuzela assist

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sade posted:

Goten and Kid Trunks, together, as one character, like a cross between Ice Climbers and an arcsys puppet character, with a transformation super into gotenks

loving hire me, arcsys

i dont like this idea not because Ice Climbers or melty Maids are cool, but because making Gotenks an install means you cant realistically make a whole suite of moves for him and that dude has like 40 unique moves. hes the dante of dbz

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't remember the Buu saga very well, did Gotenks ever win a single fight?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
iirc he completely loving clowned on buu but the fusion ran out and they got stomped separately

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
They also beat Hitler, iirc, but that is movie canon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He also beat a guy in a short film that was shown at shonen jump conventions and came out a few years before BoG

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

anime was right posted:

its possible. i mean arcsys could have seriously figured a good workaround to the issue; or maybe all of their per-frame lighting is far more automated so all they have to do is cinematics and touchups per costume

The per-frame lighting is done by moving a light source around, the mesh itself has static vertex occlusion. The only extra animation work you need when making costumes the Xrd way is making the mesh swaps for unusual deformations if the costume alters them. This is not, in fact, the titanic undertaking that most people misunderstand it to be.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Captain Baal posted:

Why does the game being more mechanically sound suddenly stop them from adding characters who barely fight when most of these games have those? Like idk what part of you thinks that somehow stops a character from being added but Arcsys does this poo poo all of the time and they do not need movesets to pull from see: Rise, Kokonoe, Mr. Heart, and Celica.

Like I don't think this leak is infallible, but your logic is not really convincing since it's a point that's been proven wrong time and time again.

It just feels very different from how they're drawing from stuff for everything else in the game. Maybe Videl will be an entirely different approach, and I certainly wouldn't object if she got in. It'd make the roster a fair bit more interesting than it does now, as it still strikes me as kinda boring.

But we'll see I guess. I'm just rather skeptical.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

TFRazorsaw posted:

It just feels very different from how they're drawing from stuff for everything else in the game. Maybe Videl will be an entirely different approach, and I certainly wouldn't object if she got in. It'd make the roster a fair bit more interesting than it does now, as it still strikes me as kinda boring.

But we'll see I guess. I'm just rather skeptical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6utr7oiGro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/oneida__/status/899695128671117313