Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Fighting Game Thread VI: Punching was a bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
umineko came out and its on sale

http://store.steampowered.com/app/550340/Umineko_Golden_Fantasia/

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

they just took it off sale

during the steam sale

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Ha thats what you guys get for not buying it asap!

Played a little bit, seems fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Got gundam versus on sale just to check it out. Watch the cool attract mode, get to the main menu and a eula pops up over the cool robot and it takes 45 seconds to scroll it and agree, then a 30 second privacy pollicy, then a set of 20 dlc notifications that all need to be cleared one at a time.
Finally get to tutorial and its like use left stick to move level depth. Hype opening you got here, bandai

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Wow Eric Garland really is melting down.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Man I can't imagine why he was banned.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Don't make fun of him.
As a veteran Smash player he's entitled to a certain amount of respect.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Don't make fun of him.
As a veteran Smash player he's entitled to a certain amount of respect.

i dont know about that youre kind of a veteran poster and no one respects you at all

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i dont know about that youre kind of a veteran poster and no one respects you at all

I'm way ahead of my time and I'm not going to be understood until way after my death.
You really need to have IQ of a real Rick & Morty fan to appreciate the genius of my posting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Got gundam versus on sale just to check it out. Watch the cool attract mode, get to the main menu and a eula pops up over the cool robot and it takes 45 seconds to scroll it and agree, then a 30 second privacy pollicy, then a set of 20 dlc notifications that all need to be cleared one at a time.
Finally get to tutorial and its like use left stick to move level depth. Hype opening you got here, bandai
gundam versus is badass

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What's the best fighting game? Is it Ragnagard?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Endorph posted:

gundam versus is badass

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It doesn't have local same-system multiplayer so it can't be the best. I think it's Ragnagard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

gundam versus is badass

Now that im playing as my boy rick dias i gotta agree real hard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

According to science at the moment its asuka 120% special burning fest

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

According to science at the moment its asuka 120% special burning fest

we need more science imo

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
https://twitter.com/jamtsukaware/status/944794606327046144

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

That one boxing game from French Bread

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Countblanc posted:

That one boxing game from French Bread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojgMwL_dkIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQvFBwFAlrQ

bring dejiko back to fighting games

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

KungFu Grip posted:

we need more science imo

Sounds like science is being applied again soon.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i wnat 2 play more gundam versus but i had to sell my ps4 to pay bills:smith:

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Pomp posted:

i wnat 2 play more gundam versus but i had to sell my ps4 to pay bills:smith:

It's okay it isn't really playable by a person with a three second mental delay.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
most unrighteous :(

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Merry Christmas everyone. As a special treat today I'd like to explain the way moves interact with each other in Smash 4, so let's get to it. There are three kinds of hitbox- grounded, aerial and projectile. When two grounded hitboxes connect with each other, they clank, which is similar to move clashes seen in games like Guilty Gear, where neither attack will deal damage and both players recoil from the clash. Grounded hitboxes clank when each move's damage property is within 9% of the other- if one does 10% damage or more it will win the exchange cleanly. The recoil after the clash is referred to as "rebound", and when two players rebound the situation is reset to a neutral state, as both players can act again on the same frame regardless of whose clanking attack was stronger. Most grounded moves will rebound after clanking but some specifically will not, like the first arc of Pikachu's famous Quick Attack, which means you can zip through attacks that do up to 9% more damage than it and end up behind them without being stopped and put in the rebound state, which is very useful.

Aerial attacks are different in that they will not clank or rebound with grounded attacks, which adds an element of risk to approaching a grounded opponent. Projectile attacks don't clank with anything, which means you can carve through them with an aerial hitbox, assuming it's within the mentioned 9% damage range. Some grounded attacks, like Bayonetta's Madama Butterfly smash attacks, are assigned the projectile priority, meaning if she uses them on an opponent who is putting an active aerial hitbox in front of them, often in slow motion, the smash attack's damage will be negated and the opponent will be suspended in space humorously unharmed. This is the fundamental nature of Smash Brothers hitbox interaction.

Hurtboxes in Smash are in general fairly honest, they're hitspheres attached to a character's model and wherever that part of the character's body is, that's where their hurtbox is, consistent with the way they stretch in attack animation smears. Smash characters don't project phantom hurtboxes before or during moves, and those hurtboxes aren't disabled at any point; however, to simulate the latter effect something called Intangibility is applied. Intangibility is in essence a protective hurtbox that occurs during a move and covers hurtboxes on specific parts of a character's body so they can't be hit or grabbed, providing an effect similar to Guilty Gear's famous 6P attacks. Some examples include Palutena's dash attack and bair, which utilize her shield and grant her intangibility from the waist up, and all of Bowser's tilt attacks, where his arm hurtboxes are intangible. Swordsmen and other weapon users don't have hurtboxes in their weapons, they're fully disjointed, and if you can reach through an intangibile attack to hit a tangible hurtbox you can still interrupt it, like Ky hitting your shins with his accursed 5H attack.

In addition to the above rules, some attacks in Smash have what is called Transcendent Priority, which means they don't clank, rebound or get neutralized by any other hitbox, they just happen no matter what as long as they come out. Transcendent moves will trade with anything, and moves with this property are typically but not limited to attacks that have a magic, energy or electrical aesthetic. Similarly, but differently, a number of attacks in Smash have super armor, which means if you hit someone during these frames they won't flinch and will keep attacking you. Not all moves with armor are attacks, though- Yoshi's airjump has armor frames and will jump through a lot of attempts to stop him, and Bowser has a global armor mechanic called Tough Guy which means he outright will not flinch to any attack that does less than 20 units of knockback at any time, no matter the circumstances.

Understanding move property interaction plays a large role in knowing what options to choose in a Smash Brothers encounter, and I hope this information can help allow you to enjoy watching a match, in stream or in person, with better clarity of insight into the workings on display. Have a lovely holiday everyone.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think u have the wrong thread. This one is for fighting games.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

woah thanks happy holidays to you too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reiley posted:

Merry Christmas everyone. As a special treat today I'd like to explain the way moves interact with each other in Smash 4, so let's get to it. There are three kinds of hitbox- grounded, aerial and projectile. When two grounded hitboxes connect with each other, they clank, which is similar to move clashes seen in games like Guilty Gear, where neither attack will deal damage and both players recoil from the clash. Grounded hitboxes clank when each move's damage property is within 9% of the other- if one does 10% damage or more it will win the exchange cleanly. The recoil after the clash is referred to as "rebound", and when two players rebound the situation is reset to a neutral state, as both players can act again on the same frame regardless of whose clanking attack was stronger. Most grounded moves will rebound after clanking but some specifically will not, like the first arc of Pikachu's famous Quick Attack, which means you can zip through attacks that do up to 9% more damage than it and end up behind them without being stopped and put in the rebound state, which is very useful.

Aerial attacks are different in that they will not clank or rebound with grounded attacks, which adds an element of risk to approaching a grounded opponent. Projectile attacks don't clank with anything, which means you can carve through them with an aerial hitbox, assuming it's within the mentioned 9% damage range. Some grounded attacks, like Bayonetta's Madama Butterfly smash attacks, are assigned the projectile priority, meaning if she uses them on an opponent who is putting an active aerial hitbox in front of them, often in slow motion, the smash attack's damage will be negated and the opponent will be suspended in space humorously unharmed. This is the fundamental nature of Smash Brothers hitbox interaction.

Hurtboxes in Smash are in general fairly honest, they're hitspheres attached to a character's model and wherever that part of the character's body is, that's where their hurtbox is, consistent with the way they stretch in attack animation smears. Smash characters don't project phantom hurtboxes before or during moves, and those hurtboxes aren't disabled at any point; however, to simulate the latter effect something called Intangibility is applied. Intangibility is in essence a protective hurtbox that occurs during a move and covers hurtboxes on specific parts of a character's body so they can't be hit or grabbed, providing an effect similar to Guilty Gear's famous 6P attacks. Some examples include Palutena's dash attack and bair, which utilize her shield and grant her intangibility from the waist up, and all of Bowser's tilt attacks, where his arm hurtboxes are intangible. Swordsmen and other weapon users don't have hurtboxes in their weapons, they're fully disjointed, and if you can reach through an intangibile attack to hit a tangible hurtbox you can still interrupt it, like Ky hitting your shins with his accursed 5H attack.

In addition to the above rules, some attacks in Smash have what is called Transcendent Priority, which means they don't clank, rebound or get neutralized by any other hitbox, they just happen no matter what as long as they come out. Transcendent moves will trade with anything, and moves with this property are typically but not limited to attacks that have a magic, energy or electrical aesthetic. Similarly, but differently, a number of attacks in Smash have super armor, which means if you hit someone during these frames they won't flinch and will keep attacking you. Not all moves with armor are attacks, though- Yoshi's airjump has armor frames and will jump through a lot of attempts to stop him, and Bowser has a global armor mechanic called Tough Guy which means he outright will not flinch to any attack that does less than 20 units of knockback at any time, no matter the circumstances.

Understanding move property interaction plays a large role in knowing what options to choose in a Smash Brothers encounter, and I hope this information can help allow you to enjoy watching a match, in stream or in person, with better clarity of insight into the workings on display. Have a lovely holiday everyone.

Lol the bowser specific hyper armor mechanic is cool

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Reiley posted:

Bowser has a global armor mechanic called Tough Guy which means he outright will not flinch to any attack that does less than 20 units of knockback at any time, no matter the circumstances.

Why is Bowser said to be so bad then?

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is Bowser said to be so bad then?

Bowser is considered to be a pretty reasonable character in Smash 4. He did not rank well in the previous games though.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reiley posted:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Good post Reiley, but Bayonetta's Smash attacks are called Wicked Weaves

Happy Holidays goons

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
hey, longtime forums user broken loose here. i did not read ANY of that. merry christmas

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
deck the halls with poop

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Choice dating advice in this thread

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Reiley is good. Merry Christmas.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would gladly play more smash if it was on a console I had plugged in still. The inevitable switch version will be cool.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I would gladly play more smash if it was on a console I had plugged in still. The inevitable switch version will be cool.

I hope the netcode is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

why would you unplug your w101 machine