Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Azwel is great because he pulls off a loving muscle buster goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

^ but can he do a BME (Best Moonsault Ever)? Taki has something like a moonsault I think.

Heavy Metal Dark Fantasy, like it says on the cover of the Bastard!! manga, I dig characters like this Azwel cat.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
He has the loving Kinniku buster, day 1 purchase.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
His install thingy should turn him into Actual Necrid

Parachute
May 18, 2003
give azwel big rear end magic hands like rasputin in the world heroes games

also add mudman + the rest of the cast to the game please

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Zand posted:

sfv killed mike ross
mvci killed combofiend
who will be the next to fall before capcom

Mad late but I'll put :10bux: on max getting shafted next.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
i keep getting my inputs stuffed/frame trapped (in GG) by better players because all i know to do is to try to jab between attacks when they're coming after me... is this the sort of thing where you just have to play a lot of each matchup to find out when it's correct to jab?

Also i downloaded unist and it's been pretty fun though I admit I've been abusing the auto combo a bit. There's a huge skill range on ranked (with me on bottom) but thats not surprising i guess.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
try fd to get out, try not mashing out unless you instant block

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You can also dead angle

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

No Wave posted:

i keep getting my inputs stuffed/frame trapped (in GG) by better players because all i know to do is to try to jab between attacks when they're coming after me... is this the sort of thing where you just have to play a lot of each matchup to find out when it's correct to jab?

Suppose I'm Ky, and I just knocked you down. I dash up and do 2P on your wakeup. 2P is +2 on regular block. After you block 2P I could walk forward a step and throw, which would lose to you mashing jab. I could do 2P 2P and try to reset pressure by dashing forward and pressing 2P again. There's a pretty decent gap for you to hit a button into, but if you don't, I could keep resetting pressure for awhile this way.

However, if I suspect that you're likely to mash jab, I could chain 2P into 5H, which naturally has a 1f gap, and would counter hit you if you tried to press any button. On hit I can convert this into a knockdown and start the cycle all over again with another meaty 2P. If instead you block 5H, I'm still +1, but I've pushed you back a bit, making it easier for you to get out and harder for me to reset pressure.

In practice pressure and oki are more complicated than this, but what I'm trying to say is that hitting a button at a disadvantage (abare) can beat stuff like certain tick throws and pressure resets, but will lose to frame traps. Blocking a frame trap won't necessarily put you at advantage, but it can push you out to a less dangerous distance, especially with FD. Experience with matchups and frame data will help you understand what things you can disrespect, too.

It also really helps to learn universal defensive mechanics. FDing the earlier hits of a string can force your opponent to whiff, giving you enough of a gap to take your turn or move out of the way. IBing certain moves can steal your turn or let you get a punish that might not otherwise be possible. Dead Angle is meter intensive, but can give you a knockdown on someone heavily pressuring you. You can even spend your burst if you're in an especially bad situation.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 27, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I appreciate the answer, that was very thorough. I've played too many single player games in my life so I still think in terms of flow charts and optimal courses of action instead of potential options. For now I certainly need to FD a whole lot more.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

No Wave posted:

And Amingo! And Ruby Heart! All your favorites!

I feel personally attacked here :(

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

Also i downloaded unist and it's been pretty fun though I admit I've been abusing the auto combo a bit. There's a huge skill range on ranked (with me on bottom) but thats not surprising i guess.

You need to be really patient defending in GG, and depending on who you play jab may not even be your best option. You've got a ton of system mechanics to experiment with and at this point in the games life you can just ask for tips on how to defend against X character or moveand get tips and or tricks

Pomp fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 27, 2018

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
FD is good but if you just try to FD everything without a plan you end up with no meter. Your goal isn't even necessarily to push them out, if you have good pokes your goal can be to create a whiff punish opportunity or force them to make a gamble to stay in on you, for example.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SleepySonata posted:

:pray:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pomp posted:

FD is good but if you just try to FD everything without a plan you end up with no meter. Your goal isn't even necessarily to push them out, if you have good pokes your goal can be to create a whiff punish opportunity or force them to make a gamble to stay in on you, for example.
yeah for sure it's not a magic bullet, I mean it should be a thing I consider doing during a match and it just isnt right now (and i am often losing rounds with 100% meter remaining).

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SleepySonata posted:

Max earns a cozy living from twitch and youtube, no way he would drop that for a lovely capcom CM job.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just don't be me and spend all your meter on yrcs

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

do, actually

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes i get jittery and hit rc multiple times instead of once and just burn meter in someones face like a dork

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I played a set once with a dude who would double RC fafnir for the kill every time he could like I was loving Bruno buccelati or some poo poo

Pomp fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 27, 2018

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Broken Loose posted:

Ugh, when can I get some wizard/witch representation that isn't also evil? Wake me up when Soul Calibur 7 gets announced.

Sabrina DLC.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hobojim posted:

Or, barring that, play Shen and don't worry about hard combos for damage. As HoboWithAShotgun told me when I was getting into the game, BIG MAN PUNCHES. BIG MAN DAMAGE.

This was a while back, but a cool character like Shen Woo not being in KOFXIV is criminal.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
who hype for blade strangers

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

is that coming out soon?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

b_d posted:

is that coming out soon?

Tomorrow

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

sweet, I’m not expecting it to be good but I’m going to get it to mess around anyway

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's a bunch of arcade footage of it on HydeGaming1 and it looks..fuckin' bad.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
its insane how hosed up and aliased the characters look in blade strangers, like someone resized all the art in mspaint with the wrong aspect ratio or something

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

absolutely anything posted:

its insane how hosed up and aliased the characters look in blade strangers, like someone resized all the art in mspaint with the wrong aspect ratio or something

Doesn't it also run at 30fps? It's hard to tell from the streams but I don't think it's hitting 60.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
I just want to play a giant cat and make lovely cat puns and yell a lot about catching toe-beans nd poo poo. I'm not looking for the next cvs2 here.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

bbtag kinda has that too with sprites from 720p games in 1080p

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Look at this esports:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkOpdYBEaP8

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
That Pokken Worlds tournament was pretty great to watch all around, lots of great matches and some upsets. That and Gengar is super fun to watch.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

This was a while back, but a cool character like Shen Woo not being in KOFXIV is criminal.

Could not agree more. As much as I miss my fireball Kyo and claw Iori, the characters I miss the most from an aesthetic/cool point of view are Shen Woo and Elizabeth. I did play Shen but could never figure out Liz at all, I just really like her design.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
KOF14 has a great cast overall, I think.

I wanna say they were teasing the New Faces team for DLC but I feel like they need to hurry up if that's the case, people are kinda over that game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I want a new samsho, or a new project at all that isn't Heroines

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Pokken looks kind of cool but holy poo poo is it weird to see the game have pretty reasonable walk speed and every move is like 25f startup. Also what the gently caress is that Gengar laser unblockable?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ultima66 posted:

Pokken looks kind of cool but holy poo poo is it weird to see the game have pretty reasonable walk speed and every move is like 25f startup.

Its very fun but i feel like having 2 phases instead of one great one kinda holds it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i just want to say, base form goku in fighterz is fun as hell

if it weren't for his supers, he'd actually be kind of poo poo, but his supers are hilarious

the Kaioken one is okay with a full team, and gets progressively better as you lose dudes to the point where it's ridiculous when your last man is Goku. as a bonus, his medium autocombo is shockingly easy to trip people up with, and medium autocombos go directly into your lv1 super if you have meter for it. really the only downside of his lv1 is that it's bonkers hard to use in a team super; either he'll whiff the Kaioken attack or knock them out of the way of the other char's super, from all i've seen.

the Spirit Bomb, his lv3, is the funniest loving thing in all of fighterz. as a direct offensive tool, it's completely awful, because you cannot even see whether it's going to hit or not and i have no clue how to combo into it without them just recovering during the insanely long animation.

where the Spirit Bomb shines is as a way to get scrubs to self-own.

see, a lot of people like to try and counter the Spirit Bomb with a vanish attack. what they do not realize is that if you do this too early, the Spirit Bomb's hitbox goes slightly behind Goku.

the general way this goes is, i Spirit Bomb, moron tries to vanish me, moron proceeds to get sucked into the Spirit Bomb and OHKO'd and I proceed to beat their rear end into the ground for the rest of the match because they're tilted as hell whereas I have a big idiot grin on my face. i've done it more than once in a match to people before. it seems like a ton of players just have no clue whatsoever how to deal with this and i love it.