Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
marketing sfv as esports first worked wonders for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Reiley posted:

Smash and Slap City are about their lovable franchise characters, Icons was about performing Tech.

I don't know any of the Slap City characters, I just bought it without questioning because Dunkey put up a vid having fun with it, plus it was only like $7.

Edit: Fishbunjin is pretty lovable though

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 6, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I bought Slap City not knowing who the h*ck Ludosity was but now I own like 3 of their games and have been happy with all of them. Advertising works!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

dragon enthusiast posted:

I mean, you need to make a good game before anything else. That being said, there's lots of factors that go into a success, only so many of which you can control. I think SFV hosed up in a couple ways but you might say the esports part is one of the parts they got right, in that it's still the marquee game for a lot of majors. Obviously it's more nuanced than that but I don't think you can say esports isn't important for games like SF, Tekken, etc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

it's arguably the only reason why the game didn't immediately die

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

to expand on this, id guess that more specifically, cpt is the reason why it didn't die. mvci had a similar push for eSports but without a follow through as big as cpt. the game was pretty much totally dead after battle for the stones

for sfv, the eSports focus (no single player) with cpt supported by capcom was poison to casuals. people wrote a lot of words about how the game wasn't for them because they were too bad on sfvs release

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you shouldn't confuse this with sfv being a success because of esports, remember capcom thinking the game would do 2mil within six months and instead it taking like two years to reach that point?

sfv being esports-first informed every decision in its development from the funding model to the premature content-barren launch to the design of vtrigger.

how much of sfv's continued presence at majors is a function of its pedigree and history and how much of it is because of anything the game legit did right?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

you shouldn't confuse this with sfv being a success because of esports, remember capcom thinking the game would do 2mil within six months and instead it taking like two years to reach that point?

sfv being esports-first informed every decision in its development from the funding model to the premature content-barren launch to the design of vtrigger.

how much of sfv's continued presence at majors is a function of its pedigree and history and how much of it is because of anything the game legit did right?

It's a function of there still being money in it...I can't imagine that the people who compete in it enjoy the game

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I know people who legitimately enjoy playing SFV

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
people also legitimately enjoy sticking candles up their peehole

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I'm mostly just saying that, without the esports push and with all other things equal, nobody would be playing or talking about SFV, it would have probably never gotten any DLC, honestly even stuff like adding arcade mode would have never happened

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Street Fighter V didn't have to establish itself as an IP AND be successful on top of that, though. It's easier to take a more narrow focus when you can assume people will already know who you are and what you're about generally.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

mutata posted:

Street Fighter V didn't have to establish itself as an IP AND be successful on top of that, though. It's easier to take a more narrow focus when you can assume people will already know who you are and what you're about generally.

That's my basic point. If you are a startup like Icons, expending time, money, and effort on esports is a waste. What esports gets you is exposure and hype but it's an extremely expensive way to get those things. Not to mention the possibility for it to completely backfire and make your game look worse. Traditional marketing is going to get you a lot more bang for your buck at first. Esports is much more suited to established games where you are jockeying for market share against the other big games. It's a really powerful form of marketing once there is a stable tournament scene to support it because the feedback loop of "wow I saw this hype thing in a top 8 and now I'm going to go practice it myself" is very compelling. Not to mention the possibility of going from a casual player->pro, which is extremely unlikely but that doesn't reduce the pull effect it has on consumers.

Just to qualify this a bit, it's fine (and probably even a good idea) to have stuff like pre-release tournaments etc. What I'm talking about is basically going "esports esports esports" and having it be your whole raison d'etre and trying to create and support an esports scene from day one. It's just way too expensive to be sustainable for a small game and the payoff is way too uncertain.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 6, 2018

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if a game isnt fun to at least one major audience and doesnt hold magic then its not gonna sustain as an esport unless theres a lot of money artificially pumped into it and even then... lol

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AttackBacon posted:

That's my basic point. If you are a startup like Icons, expending time, money, and effort on esports is a waste. What esports gets you is exposure and hype but it's an extremely expensive way to get those things. Not to mention the possibility for it to completely backfire and make your game look worse. Traditional marketing is going to get you a lot more bang for your buck at first. Esports is much more suited to established games where you are jockeying for market share against the other big games. It's a really powerful form of marketing once there is a stable tournament scene to support it because the feedback loop of "wow I saw this hype thing in a top 8 and now I'm going to go practice it myself" is very compelling. Not to mention the possibility of going from a casual player->pro, which is extremely unlikely but that doesn't reduce the pull effect it has on consumers.

Just to qualify this a bit, it's fine (and probably even a good idea) to have stuff like pre-release tournaments etc. What I'm talking about is basically going "esports esports esports" and having it be your whole raison d'etre and trying to create and support an esports scene from day one. It's just way too expensive to be sustainable for a small game and the payoff is way too uncertain.

I should note, I'm not actually disagreeing with this so much as I'm pointing out the other side of it

esports are a dumb, dumb idea for an indie to focus on unless the demand is already there and visible. but for a company like Capcom, esports are basically how they're able to weather it when they totally gently caress the dog on a game. without esports, SFV might have straight up killed SF, but because of esports it's still sputtering along and will probably be followed up by a SF6 that may or may not fix its issues.

e: I'd sum it up as, it's an insanely good idea if you have the influence and financial muscle to basically force the issue, and an insanely bad idea if you don't

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

nrs knows how to appeal to all their bases and pump money into a scene. why is it mainly nrs getting this so right so many times?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
thank god for esports keeping terrible games on life support

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
isn't it funny that SFV was designed for esports but SFIV is 10x more fun to watch. I've never seen anything remotely exciting happen in a SFV match. probably because it resets to neutral too easily, and they probably made it that way to make it more "competitive" and "fair" for esports.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zand posted:

nrs knows how to appeal to all their bases and pump money into a scene. why is it mainly nrs getting this so right so many times?

The US vs. Japan probably

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zand posted:

Ed Boon and company have years of experience doing this sort of deal, whether at Midway or at Williams

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Zand posted:

The competitive scene for NRS games dries up much faster than other titles though. Inj 2 and MKX are completely dead, but I don't think NRS is too sad about it because both sold really loving well. Still, they haven't been able to make a game stay relevant for more than a year or two.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MKX had a lot of problems because it had really lovely defense. You can jump in for free in that game so no one liked it

Then they made IJ2 which is the most defensive game where every jump is a huge commitment and no one likes it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zand posted:

it's also surprising that they accomplish that while also crafting a ridiculously large single player experience. they know how to attack with both prongs which is why the last 2 games sold crazy well

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DLC Inc posted:

it's also surprising that they accomplish that while also crafting a ridiculously large single player experience. they know how to attack with both prongs which is why the last 2 games sold crazy well

its because

A) they have a brand
B) they actually invest in their games. they cost more to make but they get larger returns because of that effort!!!
C) their release cycles arent release a game, then every feels fatigued already because they associate the brand with immediate irrelevancy due to a new "version" of the game coming out a year later (or in some cases, less)

also no matter how mediocre their writing is, they at least can write well enough that the entire story feels like a comic book mess instead of outright incomprehensibility

Double Bill posted:

The competitive scene for NRS games dries up much faster than other titles though. Inj 2 and MKX are completely dead, but I don't think NRS is too sad about it because both sold really loving well. Still, they haven't been able to make a game stay relevant for more than a year or two.

yeah unfortunately they still make games that are kinda janky and are more spectacle than embody basic elements of fun. they're not even bad competitive games... just kind of, ehh?

anime was right fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 6, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

anime was right posted:

its because

C) their release cycles arent release a game, then every feels fatigued already because they associate the brand with immediate irrelevancy due to a new "version" of the game coming out a year later (or in some cases, less)

gotta say it was a fortunate cycle to swap between Injustice/MK for the last 4 games. The games eventually fizzle out but when you're tired of one you get the other in 2 years.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DLC Inc posted:

gotta say it was a fortunate cycle to swap between Injustice/MK for the last 4 games. The games eventually fizzle out but when you're tired of one you get the other in 2 years.

yes, and they release actual sequels

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
What makes Melee impenetrable is the triangle of brand/gameplay/legacy. The only thing that the dime-a-dozen Smash clones can even attempt to provide is gameplay, and that alone can't sustain a franchise pretending to be AAA/III

slap city instead decided to go with none of the three and just make the jank work for them and surprise it's actually pretty fun

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
slap city has legit really good gameplay though

it's just not taking itself too seriously which means casuals can enjoy it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What is NRS up to anyway, they have been pretty quiet this year

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
congrats yall convinced me to buy slap city

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

anime was right posted:

Roll up your shirt and jeanshorts
and partake in the greatest death sport
Slap a bestie on their face so pretty
welcome to Slap City

Put on your finest speedos 
knock some sense into all these weirdos 
Crush a Ruby without remorse or pity
welcome to Slap City

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everyone's figured they're makin MK11, would make sense.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I'll never play Slap City because I'm an aesthetics elitist and it's way too jank for me to enjoy but it makes me happy that they've apparently been able to make a smash clone actually succeed.

DLC Inc posted:

This is the secret right here. Single player content drives sales for fighting games WAY more than people realize. Most fighting games are simply too difficult for the average person to actually be able to enjoy online multiplayer. A robust single player experience is a huge draw for a fighting game and people get real mad if you skimp on it. I think SCVI is going to knock it out of the park because of this, in addition to the game just being fun as hell to play and to watch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

I've played it like twice and it's pretty fun

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Double Bill posted:

Part of that is because they adopted a very predictable update/sequel pattern that people cottoned onto pretty quickly - it was easy to figure out when patches would and wouldn't happen and when the new game was coming, so many longtime players are almost conditioned to wind up and down in relation to those rollouts.

It's also happening because NRS games have been in the wider FGC for long enough that the players aren't afraid to play other games anymore.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Supposedly they're working on a non fighting game so we'll see how that goes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

Supposedly they're working on a non fighting game so we'll see how that goes.

...SHAOLIN MONKS?!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Action-adventure is the rumour, so kinda? It may or may not be a co-production with Rocksteady, the Batman Arkham devs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Countblanc posted:

I bought Slap City not knowing who the h*ck Ludosity was but now I own like 3 of their games and have been happy with all of them. Advertising works!
You should also look up Daniel Remar's older games like Iji.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They're a bit like Rocksteady in that people were expecting them to show something at E3, but nothing...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

...SHAOLIN MONKS?!
God, I hope so. That game needs more love, and also a non-cancelled sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

anime was right posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ouP_ZHe9M

Looks jank as hell at first glance, but the developers (unlike EVERY OTHER SMASH CLONE EVER MADE) seem to actually understand fundamental concepts like recovery frames and hitstop...plus the graphical hit effects actually make it easier to follow the gameplay unlike other Smash clones where the effects either don't exist or make the game a mess to watch.

Plus it doesn't have loving stupid conditions like being required to hit with a super in order to get kills.