Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've just got to post in here that Soul Calibur VI is going to rule! Even though it has it's own thread. Also King of Fighters 99 (Evolution on Dreamcast) is my favorite fighting game. These are my thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
FEXL's on sale for the weekend:
https://twitter.com/FightingExLayer/status/1050617837155282944

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Chev posted:

Basically mindgames are absent, because there's no mind to fight against, only shadows.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
So, uh, is every move in T7 inherently stance based? Aside from the obvious thing that running completely changes the buttons, It took me a full day to figure out that "df2" aka "3B" is completely different when executed as "B while holding 3" vs "tap 3+B at the same frame from neutral", because they're different moves when executed from a standing vs a crouching state. And the notation even has an explicit "while standing" qualifier but nobody ever seems to bother using it consistently. Also there's the weird overload of "down", where holding it is ducking, but tapping it is a sidestep. Does the game give you a few frames of crouch state before transitioning into the sidestep state once it receives the KEY_UP event? And then switch into the side-walking state once it receives another press afterwards? 8 has a similar behavior, but tapping 9 is always a hop, except tapping 7 is neither a jump or a sidestep, and jumping backwards needs a hold.

This isn't me complaining, more wondering if long time players actually think that stuff is intuitive? Because none of the "beginner" or "essentials" tutorials even bothered to mention any of it, and that poo poo's genuinely more arcane than 95% of the stuff i've seen people mock Dota for, or the myriad of systems ASW piles on in their games. And that's not even going into the high/low crush vs moving hitboxes distinction or "special mids".

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 13, 2018

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

So, uh, is every move in T7 inherently stance based? Aside from the obvious thing that running completely changes the buttons, It took me a full day to figure out that "df2" aka "3B" is completely different when executed as "B while holding 3" vs "tap 3+B at the same frame from neutral", because they're different moves when executed from a standing vs a crouching state. And the notation even has an explicit "while standing" qualifier but nobody ever seems to bother using it consistently. Also there's the weird overload of "down", where holding it is ducking, but tapping it is a sidestep. Does the game give you a few frames of crouch state before transitioning into the sidestep state once it receives the KEY_UP event? And then switch into the side-walking state once it receives another press afterwards? 8 has a similar behavior, but tapping 9 is always a hop, except tapping 7 is neither a jump or a sidestep, and jumping backwards needs a hold.

Do long time players actually think that stuff is intuitive? Because none of the "beginner" or "essentials" tutorials even bothered to mention any of it, and that poo poo's genuinely more arcane than 95% of the stuff i've seen people mock Dota for. And that's not even going into the high/low crush vs moving hitboxes distinction.

Standing, full crouch and while standing (aka while rising in other 3d fighters) are all different states with different movesets, as is running, crouch dash and various character specific stances.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/MarnORZ/status/1051031761319284737

:thunk:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This isn't me complaining, more wondering if long time players actually think that stuff is intuitive? Because none of the "beginner" or "essentials" tutorials even bothered to mention any of it, and that poo poo's genuinely more arcane than 95% of the stuff i've seen people mock Dota for, or the myriad of systems ASW piles on in their games. And that's not even going into the high/low crush vs moving hitboxes distinction or "special mids".

When looking at a movelist or combo notation for Tekken the inputs are tap direction + button (black arrow means hold).

Holding d, df, or db will put you in a full crouch like any other fighting game. Tapping down or up makes you sidestep. Double tapping and holding down or up makes you sidewalk. There are no crouching frames for side steps.

While standing (or while rising) means the transition from crouched to standing. So to execute say, a WS4, you're going to hit 4 during the animation from crouching to standing up. Basically crouch, release, 4. It takes some practice. Some people like to use quarter circle movements from crouching, or something like D,DB,netural+4 to get it out more consistently.

I would say stop thinking in keypad notation since you have a whole other plane of movement to think about now.

The advice when just starting out that helped me immensely is work on the very basics first (movement and punishes). Learning a combo or two helps, but you can win entire sets without ever throwing out a full combo. Also you'll lose a lot, especially if you're not used to 3D fighters. Please feel free to ask questions in the discord. There's players of all levels there and we're always willing to answer stuff.

Also;

https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

Some of the frame data might be out of date, but it's still a good general guideline on what's the best moves for characters. You're not gonna use most of the moves in those long rear end movelists in game.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 13, 2018

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I have high hopes

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If we can't get CvS3, let's at least have Terry and Mai as guest characters. Honorary Street Fighters.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Arzachel posted:

Standing, full crouch and while standing (aka while rising in other 3d fighters) are all different states with different movesets, as is running, crouch dash and various character specific stances.
No kidding. I just tried Eddy for a bit because he was the only one i remember from playing ... i think 3? at some friends when i was like 12, and someone told me hes a mash-friendly character, which i guess is another way of saying "you'll never know which move comes out when you press the same button, because you'll get 6-7 from each". Next level mindgames - can't be predictable in your mix ups if you have no idea what you're going to do next.

Romes128 posted:

The advice when just starting out that helped me immensely is work on the very basics first (movement and punishes). Learning a combo or two helps, but you can win entire sets without ever throwing out a full combo. Also you'll lose a lot, especially if you're not used to 3D fighters
(...)
Some of the frame data might be out of date, but it's still a good general guideline on what's the best moves for characters. You're not gonna use most of the moves in those long rear end movelists in game.
Thanks! I've already picked a supposedly rookie friendly character (kazumi) and learned a few minis and bnbs from various sources and will check that out, but yeah the list of moves that is actually fast enough to not instantly get stuffed with my current sense of movement is very very limited (basically block-> 112 or df1, maybe a magic 4 if i feel like gambling on the opponent not ducking), with my combo openers (f3 or uf3 or df2) being so slow i can basically only use them as wiff punishers. Some of them even wall carry but gently caress me if i know what to do or how to apply oki or meaties once i'm actually there.

For what it's worth the input timings and buffer lengths seem much more forgiving compared to the games i've played so far - if you're in the right stance that is - although some of the cancel timings are frustratingly obscure.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
My Lei Wulong is a disaster but I guess I have to grind it out since I paid money for this loving guy. It feels like everything he does has 7,000 frames of start up, and because at the lower ranks guys are CONSTANTLY hitting buttons I get the sense that it's oddly harder than when the other player respects you. Because I get somewhere when I just block and punish but that's missing the entire point of Lei, I might as well go back to Law if I'm going to do that. I'm solid as Law but he's so boring so I'm constantly on a quest to find someone else and it's invariably a disaster. Ugh man.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Every character has to block and punish, every player has to learn how to deal with bad players that just hit buttons forever. It has nothing to do with what character you pick, but sticking with one or two means that when you get to a point where you're fighting smarter people you'll have already internalized your punishes and you can focus more on using your character's unique stuff to get ahead.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

RoadCrewWorker posted:

1) In Tekken, "while standing" actually means "while rising from a crouch", not "while you are standing around". It's like this because the WR abbreviation is used for "while running", so WS is while standing.

2) So all characters have three basic stances: standing, crouching, and while standing (i.e. rising from a crouch). It's important to learn the WS moves for your character, because one of them will be a quick hitting mid, and another will be a launcher, and you need to know those as punishes, but also so that you don't do the wrong one at the wrong time.

3) You basically have the down inputs correct. Inputting down, neutral quickly will get you a sidestep, but just holding down will get you a crouch. If you hold straight down (2), the game doesn't consider you crouching for 6 (I think) frames, so you won't get the crouch state before your sidestep. However if you hit down/back (1), you will be able to block low instantly. You just don't gain the actual crouch state instantly.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im seeing everyone from Max to that dipshit smash bros leaker claiming it's a real thing coming next year. it's horseshit

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

DLC Inc posted:

im seeing everyone from Max to that dipshit smash bros leaker claiming it's a real thing coming next year. it's horseshit

I hope it's real and they make everyone pay for it again

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Lynx Winters posted:

Every character has to block and punish, every player has to learn how to deal with bad players that just hit buttons forever. It has nothing to do with what character you pick, but sticking with one or two means that when you get to a point where you're fighting smarter people you'll have already internalized your punishes and you can focus more on using your character's unique stuff to get ahead.

I'm aware. All I'm saying is Lei isn't a poking/counter-hit/rushdown character and it's a tough transition from Law who is 100% that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Considering it's been almost 12 hours since this...

:thunk:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

RoadCrewWorker posted:

who's d/f2 are you talking about here? generally they can be performed standing with just a 3 input.

it sounds like you're talking about a FC (full crouch) d/f2 which is usually listed as such

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the only game i can think of that sucked hard at first and did the rebuild/rebrand thing successfully was FFXIV.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the only game i can think of that sucked hard at first and did the rebuild/rebrand thing successfully was FFXIV.

if this counts, super sf2 tanked the franchise and they mostly fixed it with st. gg#reload red tanked hard and they quickly released gg#reload blue to fix it. mvc3 got umvc3 update like 8 months after release too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think MvC3 Vanilla was a flop, though. Ultimate was just Capcom realizing they hosed up and forgot to put Phoenix Wright in, so they had to fix it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There was also the story about how the earthquake totally disrupted the planned support cycle and they put all their existing work into the Ultimate bundle and had to move on. But I've never known where that came from so I'm just furthering the cycle of half spoken truths

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
wow Marn was talking out of his rear end who'd have thought

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

What message has his leg left for us

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Poniard posted:

What message has his leg left for us

To take showers frequently.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Diablo 3 had a catastrophic launch but stuck around to be a mostly well-liked game it looks like?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

mycot posted:

Diablo 3 had a catastrophic launch but stuck around to be a mostly well-liked game it looks like?

they removed the cash auction house and rebalanced inferno

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

In Training posted:

There was also the story about how the earthquake totally disrupted the planned support cycle and they put all their existing work into the Ultimate bundle and had to move on. But I've never known where that came from so I'm just furthering the cycle of half spoken truths

thats what literally happened with ffxiv

they took it down for a year or so after the quake and totally changed the game to be not poo poo, did a wow cataclysm event to explain it all and worked hardcore on it since

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

In Training posted:

It's much more likely considering what was going on at the time that Capcom had to put Ultimate out in that timeframe because the end of 2011 is likely when Capcom lost the Marvel licence- Disney was aggressively not renewing even sales licences for any Marvel properties at the time, which is why existing games like MvC2 PS3/X360 started vanishing, in order to start developing Marvel-themed titles in-house.

That said, even if Capcom explained that, which they probably legally couldn't, that still wouldn't mollify a playbase who's $60 purchase was obsoleted in ten months, even if UMvC3 was priced to move. It probably should have been pushed as an update like the later versions of SF4 were (and this might be the reason why SF4 Arcade Edition and Ultra were downloadable updates) but hindsight and time constraints and the earthquake and possibly even licencing agreements all might have gotten tangled in.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Rainbow Six Siege made an enormous turn-around from it's launch, The Division did pretty well too, For Honor managed to undo a lot of it's ills, Ubisoft games somewhat in general have been getting in on that.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

teh_Broseph posted:

And if I'm playing in the living room via Steam Link which is like half my playtime...

Oh god no. I’d rather just set up a series of mirrors around the house to see the computer monitor from the living room.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lynx Winters posted:

Every character has to block and punish, every player has to learn how to deal with bad players that just hit buttons forever.

Law buttons are usually fast enough to out scrub the scrubs

Yardbomb posted:

Rainbow Six Siege made an enormous turn-around from it's launch, The Division did pretty well too, For Honor managed to undo a lot of it's ills, Ubisoft games somewhat in general have been getting in on that.

Ubisoft games sell more than 200k copies unlike mahvel

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Real hurthling! posted:

Law buttons are usually fast enough to out scrub the scrubs
1,2,3 at the start of every round, free damage with a launch set-up. Especially unreactable low pokes that also have mixups. It's tough giving that up when learning Lei.

But the thing I miss most is not having t-rex arms on my jabs :argh:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wow, marn banned from evo for that tweet. incredible.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

I think the most miraculous turn-around was CS:GO, people loving hated it at launch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

wow, marn banned from evo for that tweet. incredible.

Please dont be joking, this would be cool.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

In Training posted:

Please dont be joking, this would be cool.

seriously this would be the feel good story we need after infiltration

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im joking

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you’re banned from evo for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training