Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

My favorite motion is hcb hcb ABAAABBBABBABABABBBAAABBAAABBBABAAAAAAABBBBAAABBBAABABABAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Best motion is holding KKK for 2000 frames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcz1KUXGZM

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Crocoswine posted:

My favorite motion is hcb hcb ABAAABBBABBABABABBBAAABBAAABBBABAAAAAAABBBBAAABBBAABABABAAAA

Replace the A's and B's with 1-4 and you have my Tekken combo execution notation.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Some of the KoF supers that require you to input successive combinations (like Clark's or Athena's) were eyeopening to me. Give me pretzel motions any day.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I'm a massive idiot who finds DPs harder than effectively any double motion, somehow

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Play sfv where practically any spasm reads as dp

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Play sfv where practically any spasm reads as dp

Except for a dp motion, which reads as super.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I always think of a DP as a dash forward input and then downshift into a 3 input like you're driving a car.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Oh, doing a DP motion is super easy, and from neutral I can just fart out DPs all day. Mid combo or whatever though? Somehow impossible, because I become incapable of hitting diagonals, whether I be playing on a stick or pad. Quarter circle and half circle motions end up being easier because they "flow" better or some dumb poo poo.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

also in case it wasn't clear that input earlier was Yamazaki's super where you just mash the punch buttons to make it strong

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Medullah posted:

Look at this dude who doesn't realize you can do SPDs with a half circle plus one tiny up diagonal bro do you even spin or just do F,D,B,U geez.

Yeah it only took me 20 years to actually pull off a SPD when I wanted to

Huh, never knew this shortcut existed. Going to need a lot of work though because I still can only pull off Demitri's Negative Stolen 1/10 times and the rest are either jumping around like a moron or a normal throw. Although I further question the need for 360 motions if the true answer is just doing a halfback and pressing up. I can't just keep using jump ins as a way to make this work.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Daraku Tenshi/The Fallen Angels, that one weird fighter where you could play as the stinky karate guy, is getting a fixed up version for arcades and consoles, including 4 unfinished characters, one so unfinished they weren't even given clothes. I look forward to dropping $60 on some weird Beep exclusive version of it.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...hed-characters/
Here's an article about the game and how it seems to really be a beta that got pushed out.
https://www.unseen64.net/2008/09/15/daraku-tenshi-beta-analysis/

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Not really a fan of the speed of granblue, but Charlotta's demon flip is fun to throw out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Being a tiny buzzsaw is fun

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Crocoswine posted:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It annoys me that granblue has a button for dodges that isn’t a macro or anything. It makes for a really awkward stick setup with the other 5 buttons

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
granblue feels like a more magnified version of all the issues SF5 has and also if you buy if you're supporting the video game version of a drug pusher

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I played Ferry and enjoyed it, though I was perplexed that her normals couldn't cancel into each other if the other guy was half a foot or more away unless I used the install super. Led to a lot of punish attempts that were just a weak-wristed flick into nothing. Also Lancelot can slide kick the end of her whip while it's fully extended and get a knockdown.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

granblue feels like a more magnified version of all the issues SF5 has and also if you buy if you're supporting the video game version of a drug pusher

I would rather give my money to the people promoting phone gambling than any of capcom's fighting games tbh

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

If cygames wants to use their gacha riches to subsidize non-gacha console games I'm not gonna turn my nose up at it.

this game would be a lot more hype if it was an airdasher though, as is it's questionable. having close attack autoattack strings but no chaining on the regular normals feels really awkward, like you're rapidly shifting between playing an anime game and a street fighter game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lancelot is the only character I consider really fun in the current game, but he is also insanely bad. Like, they obviously want you to get your rear end in close as possible, get a knockdown, use his ex fireball to lock them down on wakeup, and use his dashes to do vague mixup poo poo, and repeat. What he ends up doing is losing against every jump button because his 2C is incredibly trash, getting poked out by rapier normals because he's got the world's stubbiest limbs, and not actually getting knockdowns on most of his poo poo.

I don't even know what you're supposed to do with his 66X, because even if the ex version lets you get a combo followup, you still can't combo into it from anything and hitting it raw is not gonna happen with how much startup it has.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

darealkooky posted:

You don't even have to spend money to be strong at GBF or Dragalia Lost, though. They're really generous by gacha standards.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

they're generous because they want to seem nice and worth spending money on. they're fully aware of what they make and how they make money.

game looks okay so far. i'm not thrilled with most of the current cast, hopefully ladiva or other reveals are more interesting for me. ferry has an obscene toolkit right now lol

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My major issue with the game above all else is movement tbh. Everyone has this obscenely large startup time on their runs it is like if everyone had Susanoo dashes and walk speed isn't amazing. Like it's a weird game, but if movement was good I could overlook a ton of poo poo beccause most of the other poo poo that bugs me is very minimal compared to movement. I like Katalina and Charlotta, but I'm hoping the base roster has some better big picks because otherwise it's looking like I'm gonna be running Lowain and Katalina with the occasional Ladiva pick and even as much fun as I'm having with Kat rn I don't expect it to really last.

She and Ferry feel like they're gonna end up real strong though

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i don't think ferry has an 'obscene toolkit' so much as she has a complete kit and everyone else feels 1 tool away from complete

hopefully the game will be more interesting with the full roster, there's not a ton of variety here besides ferry in either normals or specials.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 31, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ferry is Phonon with Yoga Catastrophe and a DP.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

The slow movement speed killed it for me too. I get that the game is supposed to be ~neutral~ focused, but the neutral play itself was really boring. I feel as though the game is going to become shoving your opponent into the corner and flipping coins. At least that is all I ended up doing after discovering Charlotta.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Somewhere between SF4 and SF5 people decided that slow = footsies-based, when that actually makes playing footsies super annoying and you end up doing The 3S aka guessing on neutral to have your turn.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

Yeah, I don't see how anyone is going to intentionally bait out whiffs from their opponents with hit/hurt boxes like these combined with the grounded movement speed being what it is.
https://twitter.com/it_is_erin/status/1134461891818983424

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

Basically if KI4 isn't announced at E3 or EVO I'm going to be very upset and probably do something rash like continue to only play Tekken and ignore the rest of the genre completely.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

darealkooky posted:

The main issue sf5 is too much rising up which tbh is awesome

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like you can already download the Samurai Shodown demo on PS4 and XB1 if you have a jpn account.

https://store.playstation.com/en-id/product/JP0576-CUSA15601_00-ASIASAMURAITRIAL

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Japanese demo requires Japanese PS+ on PS4, apparently.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Japanese demo requires Japanese PS+ on PS4, apparently.

Yeah, they did it as a Full Game Trial (even though it's not) for some insane reason so you can't even grab it from a system that has a PS+ account on it from another region.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, I just tried the GBF beta (NA) and it said I need PS+ to play. Bummer.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
I played a pretty solid chunk of the second test set and it felt better than I thought it would based on what other people were saying. Yeah the walk speed is molasses, but there's a run and I think that makes up for it, alongside actually having normals capable of reaching people you aren't in hugging distance of. The EXs working by putting the move on cool-down for a little instead of costing meter is neat, but I could swear there was stuff like using 3 fireballs in a short period of time and that trips it. Throw distance was also too short. I dunno. I'm bad at fighters so I'm probably a bad judge but I'd pick it up after it hit $30 or if a bunch of friends got it.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I thought the feel was ok during this latest Beta round. Neutral feels like an unusual mix of Koihime (or maybe SFV for a less obscure comparison) and BlazBlue (minus the air dashing), and it'll probably be somewhat more dynamic once people start using universal evade options. The actual network performance part seemed fine to me once the match started, though there were some variable and kinda long wait times when getting matches connected.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Double the walk/run speed and maybe halve the run startup and it's good

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Why is everything in granblue so weirdly safe? The pushback on block combined with the low movespeed makes it weirdly difficult to punish things outside of like, whiffed supers. It felt like there was no reason to ever not use a special at the end of a blockstring because it deals chip and moves you out of easily punishable range for most characters.

Also grabbing felt weird and I can't really articulate why. You can't really use it to punish someone after blocking because the range is too small and they get pushed back, but trying to use it in a scramble I kept getting hit out of it for some reason. I had more luck literally running up full screen and grabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i liked the game more on my second go but they still need to increase the walk and dash speed a bit before i'm on board, there's 'methodical slow' and then there's 'molasses slow' and this feels like the latter if you're not playing lancelot.

also not sold on super meter resetting between rounds, it means every round plays out the same with regards to when supers go online and how people use them, since there's nothing else to spend meter on to create asymmetry.