Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Chinook posted:

I'm doing the challenge trials in SF5 and I can't finish some of the 4 move combos. I'm chaining them together in good time, but the last move keeps getting blocked. What do I need to do differently?

You're probably trying to do a link when you should be trying to do a cancel. Post the specific trial you're having trouble with in the SFV thread.

as halfway crooks posted:

im good at dota and want to try something new, maybe a fighting game
whats good? sfv?
for pc, i have xbox controller i can use but no stick obviously

SFV has the biggest player-base. KI is free and it has a solid tutorial, definitely worth checking out. Guilty Gear is awesome and has an amazing set of tutorial and training modes, but will be the hardest to get into overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I want Marvel/Disney to just say gently caress Capcom all around and find some good devs to make a spiritual successor. Tie it in to Kingdom Hearts or some bullshit, I don't care, I just wanna play Cyclops/Gaston/Vader.

Edit: call it "Marvelous Hearts", so it's still "Mahvel" but you also get that clown-shoe-anime money rolling in. There you go Disney, somebody better cut me a check when this poo poo makes GotY.

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 3, 2016

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I had five bucks, so I checked out Sirlin's game on Patreon. In traditional Sirlin fashion he's blatantly stolen pieces of it: the ranking markers are cheap imitations of Starcraft 2's league makers, the HP and chip damage system are taken wholesale from Pocket Rumble, and one of the animations is so obviously ripped from SF4 that I thought it was a placeholder until I saw it in the official trailer. The game also looks bargain basement as hell and there are lots of placeholder and glitchy animations, but overall I like how it plays. Everything is simple and easy to do, but there's still plenty of shenanigans and dirty stuff. I think I like it a little more than Pocket Rumble, but both games are largely coming from the same place.

Currently there are 5 playable characters that are loose analogues to Ryu, Sagat, Fei Long, Ibuki, and Potemkin. Analogues for Honda, Slayer, and Guile are partially finished and playable in training mode (or local versus for higher Patreon tiers). Two more characters are planned, the panda and the fish guy. The panda is pretty obviously Blanka in Yomi, but I expect him to have a Faustian random item toss here. As for the fish guy, good ol' Argagarg Garg, I don't have any idea how he'll play; he's always the most defensive charachter in Sirlin's games, so he might be a Dhalsim analogue, but who knows.

The official website with the trailer and everything launches next Monday. If you have five bucks to throw around I recommend checking it out.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Website for Sirlin's fighting game is up. Check out these siiiiick graphix. In all seriousness I like the game a lot, it's worth checking out.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Having played the game, unintentional Yomi Counters are a thing that happens, kinda like how you can accidentally block something when you try to do a tatsu. Accidental throws also happen a lot because throw ranges are ridiculous and 2 of your 3 normals OS throw. Basically what I'm trying to say is I'm bad at the game. I don't know how it'll play out at high levels, but making your throw-tech be "don't block" is a really elegant way to prevent defensive OS's.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
FYI guys, most supers do deal 2 damage. The grappler's does 3, it also grabs out to half-screen.

I've never felt like any of the character's are missing something by not having a high/low game. Between crossups, throws, and chip setups every character has threats.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
We need a fighter with a real focus on single player content, and not just Xrd style mini-games. Have a story mode that plays like a platformer/beat-em-up, throw a bunch of one-hit mooks at the player so they learn to move and hit buttons deliberately, and then have the occasional elite enemy that can only be killed by "doing a combo" or "anti-airing" or "block and punish" or "doing a crossup" etc. Once a player gets through that content they'll have learned a basic set of skills they can bring to the multiplayer, just like in basically every other video game genera, and they won't have felt like they were in a 10 hour tutorial or otherwise not playing the "real" game.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I'd always assumed that the term "meaty" was origionally just an abstract decription for attacks with lots of active frames, from back in the days before people thought of things in terms of frames. The same kind of process that gave us the term "priority". Attacks with lots of active frames are easy to use as meaties, in the modern sense, so the term drifted in use over time.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I like how all of Ryu and Iron Man's animations were directly copied from Marvel 3.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Taking a closer look at the trailer, it looks like Iron Man has some new normals. Ryu on the other hand, both his normals and supers look identical to MvC3. Like, literally copy-pasted over. I'd be really interested to see somebody cut a side by side comparison video of the animations (somebody who's not a lazy untalented rear end in a top hat like me).

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Sirlin sent an email to his patreon supporters about how showing Fantasy Strike off at the PSX went. Gotta take everything with a grain of salt because lol Sirlin, but he name drops some big fgc names.

Sirlin Games posted:

We attended the PlayStation Experience 2016 trade show where we exhibited Fantasy Strike. We explained to everyone that it's a fighting game that captures the strategy and decision-making of other fighting games, but that is designed from the ground up to be very easy to control.

The response to the game was overwhelmingly positive. This was a relief because we really did not know if people would generally like Fantasy Strike or not. I’m not sure how many people played the game, but it was hundreds. Maybe 500? Only 1 or 2 had negative feedback. EVERYONE else liked it. I wondered how much of this is from the awkwardness of telling us to our faces that they didn’t like it. That didn’t seem to be the case though because when we asked “how did it go?” people easily could have said “it was great!” then walked away, but most stuck around to tell us exactly why they liked it. It all seemed genuine.

We heard from many players that they either didn’t really play fighting games because they seemed too hard, or that they used to play fighting games but the genre got away from them (for example, the last fighting game they played was Mortal Kombat 3 or the original Killer Instinct, etc). When they heard our mission statement and that they were the target market, they were generally excited.

Because the Capcom Cup event was also at PSX, there were some pro fighting game players at the show. Only 3 of them came to our booth. Justin Wong came because he was curious about the game. LPN came because his girlfriend Rose made him come. GamerBee came by chance, only accidentally wandering by. These three are among the top fighting game players in the US.

GamerBee was amused that we had a fighting game, but assumed it was some trash thing I think. He straight up said he had no interest in even trying it. But then Aphotix told him that LPN was sitting right there, playing Fantasy Strike already. GamerBee was then more interested and said ok he would try it. It was pure coincidence that LPN happened to already be playing at that moment. In the end, all three of these pros liked the game and said it was fun. GamerBee’s main feedback is he wanted character voices and better sound (fair!). When I asked Justin Wong if he liked it or not he said “yeah I like it, I really do. If I didn’t like it I wouldn’t have sat here playing 13 games of it with you.” I beat him 13-1, which he seemed to like. Don't take this as a brag about me beating him. Justin Wong is one of the best players in the world, and I fully expect him to dominate should he decide to take up the game in the future. ;) The point is that he seemed happy to learn that there's enough to the game that someone who knows that they are doing in the game (me) can easily crush even a real fighting game player who is new (him).

Aquasnake is another good fighting game player who came to the booth. He isn’t quite best in the country, but he is very good. He likes Fei Long and immediately wanted to play Valerie. His verdict is the game is fun and he wants to play more.

A popular youtube streamer came to the booth and he had already played the game, he is a Rook main. Aphotix talked to him and he asked if Aphotix could play against him “for real”. Aphotix said ok and then absolutely crushed him over and over and over. He seemed happy at this result, similar Justin Wong's thoughts. I think in general people are wondering if there is any skill to the game, so they actually are relieved to see that they get crushed by someone who knows what they are doing.

The person who played the most by far was Marcos, a writer from shoryuken.com. He played a whopping 60 or 70 games in a row. (Yes, really.) He also interviewed me and plans to post news items on SRK of his impressions, as well as a separate post about my interview. He seemed very positive about the game.

The feedback about the game's art surprised us. After getting almost all negative feedback from various internet comments ahead of time, we expected the same at the show. But actually the majority of people liked the art. Many asked if the game was done already. Some specifically volunteered that they liked the graphic style, mentioned that it was vivid and colorful, and sometimes mentioning that it looked better in person than whatever pic or vid they saw.

That said, a minority of people pointed out many problems with our art, and I believe all of it to be valid. This group was generally the most knowledgable, consisting of game developers, actual artists, and art-minded fans. They all understood the game is still pre-alpha so they weren't worried. They just gave various tips to improve the art. We actually agree with THIS group (rather than the group who thought it looked done), so are working very hard to improve production values in several ways and experimenting with some new rendering styles and lighting. We have tons of new visual effects in the works too, and that alone will make a big difference.

We told people about this Patreon, so perhaps we will have some new supporters soon. Thank you again patrons, we are so excited about continuing to develop the game and polish it up.

--Sirlin

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
SFV is thirty cents cheaper than Vanilla SF4.

I'm also incredibly disappointed that "Best Rootkit of the Year" didn't win one of the write-in categories for the Steam Awards.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I set up a Stylish Xrd Station at the New Years party, had two sticks and drew up a button-chart with a sharpie. A buncha people with no fighting game experience swapped in and out for a solid 10 hours. MY GIRLFRIEDN accidentally landed an instant kill by mashing buttons, it was pretty hype. Xrd: best fighting game and best party game.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Sirlin brought his new game to Pax South, the trip report includes this notably sirlinian comment:

Sirlin posted:

What’s much easier, and what skeptics beg for anyway, is for us to simply crush them at the game. Every one of our skeptics asked for this, and we delivered. I crushed all of them repeatedly, making them feel like they had no chance at all.

The game has been improving steadily for the past several months, the graphics in particular look way better than they used to (RIP Jaina's derp dragon). Every time the new build comes out my buddies and I sink 5 or 6 hours into it. Game is good, and you can check it out for :5bux:.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

anime was right posted:

they added shading

they still have the stolen/wonky as hell anims tho lol

They've actually redone almost all of those. Even the blatantly stolen E.Ryu U2 was changed to an entirely new animation.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I actually think Sirlin has pretty good game design chops even if he's derivative as hell, I'll look out for it when it's a finished game.

I legitimately enjoy all of his games, I own copies of most of his board games, and like what he has to say about design on his podcast. It's in art design, world building, originality, business sense, and general human interaction that he comes up wanting; I'm not shy about pointing that out, but he makes some legitimately good stuff in spite of it.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
SFV Balrog's HK is one of the best buttons in the game, but even coming from SF4 I vomit uncontrollably every time I see it.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Pocket Rumble is going to be on the Switch. I threw $10 at their kickstarter, like, 2 years ago and have enjoyed playing the beta, but it has been far from finished until just over a week ago. Since the 19th they've jumped from 3 charachters and 1 stage to 8 of each. Still a handful of missing animations and sounds here and there, but its getting close to the final product.

It's a two button game, each character has 6 normals: 2 standing, 2 crouching, and 2 jumping. Throws are one button, forward or backward with B (heavy attack). Each character has 4 specials, done with a 1 or 3 directional input and either button held for a handful of frames, to simulate the time it would normally take to input a special move motion. The hold time is short enough I have to specifically focus on tapping the button quickly to get a normal instead of a special, but you can always use 2A or 2B to get a normal without worrying about it. Every character has a unique meter of some kind, many with a meter-related ability on A+B; the Ryu analogue gets meter by performing specials to charge a traditional super-fireball, the grappler gets meter by blocking to charge up a shield, the pet character's meter is the pet's lifebar, etc. Dashes are also unique per character; the Terry Bogard impersonator has a run (complete with KoF hop), the guy in the suit has an invincible roll, the samurai's is an attack that can cross-up, etc.

So, yeah, the game is pretty good, I'm excited for it. They even licensed GGPO, though I don't think the switch can actually use a wired internet connection, so we'll see how that turns out. Its on steam early access if anybody is dying to try it out right now.

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 28, 2017

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

dhamster posted:

That sounds pretty cool. I passed on it before because it seemed to be pretty early in development. It also sounds quite a bit like Fantasy Strike?

Yes and no, both games are shooting for roughly the same space, a stripped-down 2d fighter with accessible controls, but go about it in different ways. Pocket Rumble is starting from a SF/KoF/GG/KI background and trimming it down, where Sirlin has stated that his goal with Fantasy Strike is to start from something very simple, like Divekick, and build toward something a bit more complicated. PR has a lot of trappings of traditional fighters, like lows/overheads and throw teching, that FS has removed for other systems. Sirlin totally stole PR's health system though: discreet chunks of health where 1 hit = 1 damage and chip damage is only caused when you block multiple specials within a reasonably short window. Typical Sirlin, but a good idea is a good idea so whatever.

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

I'm opposed to Pocket Rumble for a few reasons:
1) Controls dumbed down in yet another misguided attempt to appeal to beginners

Every time I've shown Pocket Rumble to someone who's completely FG-illiterate they've enjoyed it. The same sort of people also really enjoy stylish mode in Xrd. Making your game accessible does mean that more people get to enjoy their first impressions, and some percentage of those people will go on to be serious players.

Moreover, in Pocket Rumble you have to hold the button for a few frames to get a special, about the same amount of time you would need to do a DP or quarter-circle motion, so all the strategy that comes from needing a few frames to input the move is neatly preserved.

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 28, 2017

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Both Fantasy Strike and Pocket Rumble do a pretty good job of being Super Turbo Light. PR has great walk speed and scary pressure, FS has huge damage and some really dirty stuff. If you get the chance to check 'em out you wont be disappointed.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Up until the last patch the grappler's crawl-dash didn't have an animation either, so he turned into a little green box sliding across the floor until you hit a button. Also the Werewolf guy doesn't have a super yet, that'll get added at some point. Hard Read Prediction: he gets meter by switching sides.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I made a bet, riding on a FT10 in Pocket Rumble. If I lose, I'll be barred from playing anything other than SFV until I play 100 matches with the guy who beat me. If I win, he's barred from playing anything other than KI until we play 100 matches. I hope I haven't made a grave mistake.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

CharlestonJew posted:

no matter who wins, you both lose

KI is a good game Brent. The mindgames that happen in a long set with somebody are awesome.

dhamster posted:

Imagine how much of that would just be load times

E: How's Pocket Rumble btw?

I like it a lot, its simple but really fast paced and with plenty of dirty tricks. The character variety is outstanding too. I'm really looking forward to its release on the switch because it seems like the perfect game to play with joycons.

If both Pocket Rumble and Fantasy Strike were hanging off of a cliff and I only had time to save one, well I gueeeesss I'd save Fantasy Strike, but it's not an easy decision. PR is better now but I think FS has more potential. Either way, both games are a lot of fun for serious FGC guys and people who have never touched a fighter .

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I lost my FT10 in Pocket Rumble, I am now forbidden from all fighting games except SFV for the next few weeks :smith:. I was up 5-4, then my opponent switched to Quinn and took the next 6 straight. I have no idea how to deal with that character.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Oh hello Bison's Ultra 2.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Jmcrofts posted:

I feel like no game has ever had an optional baby mode that has worked well. When it's built into the game like p4 it's fine though.

Both KI's Combo Assist and Xrd's Stylish mode are really really good. They don't change your controls, all the normal inputs still work and then there are shortcuts and auto-combos layered on top of that. They work like training wheels: when you first start out you can lean on them as much as you want, as you get familiar with things you use them less and less, and once you no longer need them you take them off to gain flexibility. They smooth out that curve between mashing buttons and deliberately playing, and that's a great thing.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Killer Instinct and Guilty Gear Xrd both have really great in-game tutorial/training options and very solid community made guides (https://ki.infil.net and the Guilty Gear Crash Course youtube series, respectively). Both games also have training-wheels modes (KI's Combo Assist and GG's Stylish Mode) which give shortucuts and auto-combos layered over the default controls, so that when you start out you can lean on them as much as you need, but you'll naturally use them less and less as you learn the game.

Neither of these games has the playerbase that SFV has, but that's basically the only good thing I could say about SFV.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Where are you guys seeing the Evo registration numbers?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

inthesto posted:

That's just Guile

His two specials are an invincible kick and a slow disk projectile. The kick is called flash gear. One if his best normals is a long reaching, spinning back... two fingered slap. In Yomi one of his supers was called "Time Spiral Hurricane".

All purely a coincidence I assure you.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Fantasy Strike just got an update with online play. You can't invite people tho, only matchmaking, maybe next month.

Its a p.cool game and you can check it out by throwing :5bux: (fake edit: I guess it's :10bux: now, dafuq Sirlin?) at Sirlin's patreon. There are currently 8 playable characters that are rough analogues to Ryu, Sagat, Potemkin, Fei-Long, Ibuki, Guile, Slayer, and Honda; Faust is upcoming and the 10th character is probably dhalsim, but we haven't seen anything from them yet. If the game does well, they've said they expect to put the other 10 characters from Sirlin's games in, which would definitely include analogues to Dictator, Claw, and Akuma, as well as, like, a WoW holy priest and Yun as a middle-aged man in a dress.

In other EZ-FG news, Pocket Rumble finally submitted a build for Nintendo approval. The game was supposed to release in March, lmao.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I'm speculating a little bit there, we know Argagarg will be a very defensive character and Dhalsim is the most defensive archtype; based on his yomi appeareance I would have assumed Honda but then they made Midori into Honda. Sirlin is definitely pulling designs directly from other games, but is flexible about which FS charachter is aping what from game to game. Jaina is Ken in Yomi but Sagat in FS, Bal-Bas-Beta is Dhalsim in the current version of Yomi but was Boxer earlier in development, etc.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Chinook posted:

I want to introduce my 9 year old to some fighting games. I pretty much suck at them but have always enjoyed them. My first fighter was SF2 on the SNES, which I also sucked at.

I have a PS3 and a 360 Madcatz TE fightstick from a few years ago. I'm guessing that I won't get the ps3 one working on my PC without a lot of bullshit, but I can use a 360 wired controller and let him use the fight stick.

What game do you think I should run through with him and get him into? I have SF4 on steam, SF5 on ps4, and a handful of KoF/MK/etc on steam and ps4.

He's only 9 so I don't think I am going to teach him all that much technical poo poo, but I'd like him to get a feel for fighters.

edit: I also have access to everything NEO GEO via mame, or collections on Steam

SF2 is still a classic and wouldn't be a bad choice. If you want something really easy to pick up and play, both Fantasy Strike and Pocket Rumble are super simple and surprisingly meaty. Divekick is also way better than it has any right to be (though it looks and sounds like a 15 year old flash game and is filled with outdated FGC memes).

Guilty Gear Xrd and Killer Instinct are probably more technical than you were thinking, but both have great "training wheels" (Stylish Mode in GG and Combo-Assist in KI) that help smooth out the transition from mashing buttons to deliberately doing things.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

please do not inflict Street Fighter II on a 9-year-old in TYOOL 2017

everything good about that game will be completely inaccessible to him for years if not decades

But, like, all the basic stuff is fun and effective in SF2? Movement is fast and random buttons do a ton of damage. Maybe I'm totally off base, but I was under the impression that the game made the impact it did because it was fun at all levels of play. Sure, special move inputs are kinda strict and a novice will get totally destroyed by somebody who even kindof knows what they're doing, but as something to mess around with I don't see the problem?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Killer Instinct and Guilty Gear Xrd both have really great in-game tutorial/training options and very solid community made guides (https://ki.infil.net and the Guilty Gear Crash Course youtube series, respectively). Both games also have training-wheels modes (KI's Combo Assist and GG's Stylish Mode) which give shortucuts and auto-combos layered over the default controls, so that when you start out you can lean on them as much as you need, but you'll naturally use them less and less as you learn the game.

I think Xrd's tutorials and training wheels are better overall, but it's also the more complicated game. Either way, both games are p.fkn.good.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

TFRazorsaw posted:

But how is the skill cieling? Are inputs more user friendly? How easy is it to pick up and play them and learn the ins and outs? Are the tutorials accessible or like indepth classes of some kind?

1. Xrd is a crazy technical game that requires some pretty high execution to play at the highest levels. KI is fairly execution light, instead putting the emphasis on mind-games.
2. Xrd uses traditional fighting game inputs. KI removes charge inputs, 360s, and traditional super motions, like double quarter-circles, but still requires single quarter-circles and dp motions and the like.
3. Both are really easy to pick up and play with the training-wheels on. I brought Xrd to a New Years Eve party and a bunch of people who never played fighting games had a blast with it.
4. KI has some decent tutorials. Xrd has an amazingly complete suite of tutorials and drills that run through every concept in the game and give you a little mini-game to practice each lesson.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
People learn hard poo poo all the time, getting really good at Overwatch or Chess or Basketball or whatever isn't any easier than getting really good at a fighting game, but fighters still have a very particular reputation for being difficult to approach. Why would we dismiss this as meaningless whining rather than attempt to understand why people react that way? If we can understand these problems maybe we can solve them, and that would mean more players and a bigger community, that's good for all of us.

That doesn't mean that the genera needs to be "dumbed-down for the casuals", we all learned this poo poo, we know it's possible and we know it's not as hard as most people think. The issue is with perception, we have to understand why fighters feel impossible for a new player. If you have no knowledge of the genera, you have absolutely no way to even approach basic questions like: "Why won't my character do what I want him to?", "What actions is my character capable of?", and "Strategically, what actions should I chose to do?". I'm sure we've all been frustrated by a combo that keeps dropping for reasons we can't figure out, or by a matchup that we can't make any headway in no matter what strategy we try; we keep coming back to those problems because we know it must be possible, and we know how sweet it will be when we finally crack them. But for a player who's only experience with the genera is that sort of frustrating, completely opaque, brick-wall of a problem, for a player who doesn't even know where to start in getting better, I can't blame them in the slightest for being turned off by first impressions.

I don't have a silver bullet for solving this, but the genera has been slowly rolling in the right direction. Basically every game now is built around having an input buffer, because nobody enjoys strict links. Tutorials are getting much more fleshed out and Xrd's is a huge step in the right direction. I'm sympathetic to people who are frustrated or intimidated by the barrier to entry, even though I know that most of the problem is in their head, and I hope the genera continues to get more and more accessible because fighting games are great.

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 19, 2017

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Plinking is hard to do on a pad. Hold an release stuff can be a bitch. It can be hard to hit some buttons simultaneously. All usually solvable with rebinding stuff to shoulder buttons and generally character-specific stuff, but still.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I've been following FS for a while now and I've had a lot of fun playing it. If you try to go into training mode it's paper thin, but playing against a real person you get the same kind of spacing, reads, and reactions that you would from any fighting game. I hope y'all try playing a few rounds against somebody before writing it off :sun:

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Countblanc posted:

also im not sure this is correct. like yeah no one is gonna complain about long combos obviously but theres stuff like Grave's ground-special-2 (g.s2?) which is just fully invincible and not really punishable on block from the few characters i tried.

Official stuff calls the buttons ABC, so that's just C. It should be punishable on block by the whole cast, who were you trying with?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Countblanc posted:

i tried with rook and midori, though i probably didnt try every button, just normals and throws mostly. i'm sure you're right but i think my larger point was that the game still has plenty of "cheap stuff" (in a good way) and that alone is going to be a wall for the desired demographic

That's fair, and I agree that the game has a surprising amount of grime in it and that's great. I don't think that will turn off new players though; I haven't had the chance to watch new players with FS, but they love Divekick and Pocket Rumble and those games are grimy as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Lethal League and Towerfall are also good fighting-game-adjacent couch games.

If you're curious what competent Fantasy Strike play looks like, here's a vid of Lord Knight playing Snakeyes at Evo. Also, here's a pamphlet Sirlin was giving out at a previous convention that runs through the basics strategies of each character.