Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Actually paying to download Bao as DLC for KOFXIV should probably have some sort of immediate extralegal consequences: thrown in ditch, splashed with muddy water by fast-moving car, made community manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Seattle goons, I'm bringing a Dreamcast to the fighting-game get-together at Gameworks tonight, along with CVS2, Power Stone, and Garou: MOTW.

Also, I'm browbeating Arlieth into showing up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Brosnan posted:

Bringing a Dreamcast and not having a custom MvC2 mix permanently welded into it??

What are you doing with your life

I still have my twelve-year-old save on the retail edition that has most of everything unlocked, including almost all the colors, courtesy of countless nights spent leaving the game idling in training mode. Putting a MVC2 custom mix in there means I have to start over from scratch.

At least it used to, anyway. I have a gangsta-rap remix version around here somewhere.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I really want a God Hand-style beat 'em up set in the KoF/Fatal Fury universe.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Disney is one hundred percent out of the first-party games development business as of right now. This is probably the best shot Capcom has at a UMVC4.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

anime was right posted:

like i said, IG makes the most sense.

its probably not capcom, its probably all marvel or disney or something

For whatever it's worth, Disney aggressively shut their in-house games development down earlier this year, which is part of why people thought an MVC4 might happen at all. They're apparently going 100% third-party contractors for the foreseeable future.

They do have an absolute prohibition on featuring X-Men or Fantastic Four characters in new games, however, so unless there's a lot of aggressive behind-the-scenes dealing, an MVC4 wouldn't have Wolverine, Storm, Sentinel, Phoenix, or Magneto.

It'd probably have a bunch of loving Inhumans, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sade posted:

These are all the marvel characters I like. Maybe they could port their gameplay concepts to different characters?

I'd be really surprised if they didn't, although doing so would require some reasonably deep dives. The only character I can think of offhand who could effectively replicate Storm would be Weather Witch, who's been in all of two or three comics ever and who's literally the Chinese knockoff version of Storm.

Then again, Shuma-Gorath and Blackheart were about as obscure when MSH came out.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Now that you mention it, SFV would look ten times better if it had the comic-book-style cel shading from MVC3. It'd help with that weird look SFV has, like everyone in it is an animated action figure.

Reiley posted:

I think Jessica Jones would be cool in Marvel, and Luke Cage, and their assist could be the nurse from all the Netflix serieses.

The best design for Luke in a fighting game would probably be what Marvel Heroes does: he's a straight-up brawler with the ability to call in backup from Danny, Misty, Colleen, and Jessica.

He'd also need to have a ton of armored moves Juggernaut-style.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Brosnan posted:

Who are all those people? Games should only have the X-men people I remember from the 90s cartoon and video games.

The guy in the suit is Sunspot, Roberto da Costa, from the New Mutants. His superpower is being rich as hell; he took over an evil organization of super-terrorists by buying it outright. Next to him is the Golden Skull, a super-villain from the future; the flying guy is Cannonball, Sam Guthrie, also from the New Mutants. Both Sunspot and Cannonball have been Avengers for a couple of years now.

On the bottom, left to right, is Toni Ho, who's built her own suit of super-armor, and who's the daughter of the guy who helped Tony Stark build the first Iron Man suit; Aikku Jokinen, a.k.a. Pod, a Finnish-Norwegian woman who accidentally bonded with a super-powerful alien weapon; Squirrel Girl; a new red Hulk, identity currently unknown (he's probably a new character); and Danielle Cage, Luke's daughter, who will grow up to be a new Captain America, who's come back in time for some reason.

A lot of this played out in Al Ewing's recent New Avengers run, which concludes this week, and which was mostly about insane science-fiction/superhero action. Basically, modern Marvel is very strange, but generally in a good way.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Which fighting games can I play as a black woman in? I was trying to think of some earlier but I seriously have no idea.

e: Oh yeah Elena

MKX: Jacqui Briggs and Tanya.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

A lot about MVC4 depends on whether they want to launch it in the pre-Evolution 2017 window and whether they intend to have "seasons" like SFV and KI do.

If they go with "seasons," and there's no real reason to think they wouldn't, the sky's really the limit, but the launch product's likely to be as anemic as launch SFV was. You could see as few as six characters from either side, and of those twelve, you know Ryu, Chun Li, Iron Man, Captain America, and Hulk already have their positions on lock.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

if IG is really redoing 3 would they address balance and bugs or just up the resolution and add new netplay?

Almost certainly the latter. Adding new net play is a significant undertaking all on its own without also pushing a series of totally unrelated bug fixes and balance tweaks.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a patch before Evo, though, since I've seen a few rumblings that one of the reasons for a UMVC3 port to begin with is to ensure it's on the Evo main stage again this year.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

dangerdoom volvo posted:

do they know the entire audience of marvel games doesnt give a poo poo about actual marvel?

From a marketing perspective, there's something to be said for having the characters in front of a die-hard audience, especially with e-sports gradually moving into, if not the mainstream, at least adjacent to it. You can't buy the kind of press that "Mahvel" gives, and even if not so much as a single stream warrior ever buys a comic book or DVD (and there's almost certainly some crossover), it's still a tremendous return on the investment.

Edit: It's probably a lot more likely that fans of the MCU and/or the rest of Marvel's work will be motivated to buy the game, than for the FGC to cross over and inflate the sales of other Marvel merchandise.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 2, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I probably should've seen the Infinity Gems coming, since MVC:I is doing some work as MCU synergy. Hopefully they're more like they were in MSH, where you get to play hot potato with them for the entire match.

Didn't expect Mega Man, either.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I would be very surprised if Frank West wasn't in it, although it'll probably be his Dead Rising 4 version, so he'll have a bunch of even goofier combo weapons and a new voice actor that nobody likes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Aw, it's not Sam Wilson.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I think you can assume Gamora will be in for Marvel at some point. She and Black Widow are probably the most obvious choices for fighting-game characters. Also, the first trailer as much as says out loud that Ultron's there.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Zand posted:

since when does "american" = "white people" ? ?

you don't have to be white to be american ya'll

Little-known fact: Shaquille O'Neal put in well over 300 man-hours on the development of Shaq Fu.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

General Morden posted:

cadillacs and dinosaurs

alien vs. predator

It'd be kind of cool if they did something like brought back Simone from Cannon Spike, who's basically just Lynn Kurosawa with the serial number filed off.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Pretty sure Injustice outsold MvC3 by a pretty big margin

As of last month, Injustice did 1.38 million. MVC3 did 2.86 million over its lifetime, although UMVC3 was apparently a relative bomb.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm far from a comic nerd, but from a distance I find it amusing how they get second rate everything compared to Marvel outside of the Batman IP. Marvel gets big successful blockbuster films while DC gets TV shows. Marvel gets Marvel vs Capcom while DC gets Netherrealm poo poo. Marvel got brought by Disney while DC got brought by Warner Bros. Etc.

One of the big Marvel vs. DC debates over the last few decades has been, basically, that Marvel tends to innovate while DC plays follow-the-leader. DC has had periods of dominance (i.e. 1991-2000, when Marvel was recovering from bankruptcy and most of its comics were flat-out awful) and its characters were always much more prominent in the mind of the average consumer, but Marvel was a younger universe with more experimental creators, so it had a lot more freedom to get weird. Marvel also wasn't burdened by the elaborate series of alternate universes and time travel plots that DC was struggling with in the '70s and '80s.

Traditionally, Marvel's also had a bit more savvy about licensing, although that went out the window in the '90s. It's why there are relatively few outright bad Marvel video games, particularly when compared to DC's.

Fereydun posted:

umvc3 sold 1.2mil

I'll double-check my research. I'd seen reports that UMVC3 did as few as 90,000 copies, but it's possible that's bad sampling and/or restricted to the recent PS4 release.

Edit: Weird. Capcom says UMVC3 did 600k in its first three months, but independent trackers argue with the amount. I'm guessing it's confirmation bias leaking in from salty fans, as with most Capcom numbers.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 17, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

He pulled those numbers from vgchartz, and just for the 360 version. If you count sales across all platforms Injustice probably did somewhere in the 5 million range even if you just count sales from PS3/PS4/360/PC it's north of 4 million.

Yeah, looked that up before my coffee. Mea culpa.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

attackmole posted:

I've never played anything MUGEN related but I'm just kind of amazed that it exists as a platform. From the youtube stuff I've watched at best it looks janky and bad, and at worst it looks like some special circle of hell where thousands of bad decisions stack on top of each other to create the ultimate poo poo pile.

It's worse than YouTube can even convey, particularly lately, but nothing's come along that's better, and things like MUGEN acquire their own bizarre institutional momentum. People still make Doom 2 levels.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If I remember correctly, the big determinant in MVC2 is how well a given character does against Sentinel. There are a lot of characters that are decent to good, but they lose to Sentinel, so nobody uses them.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'll admit I've always wondered about the thought process that went into a bunch of Japanese developers making a game set in a vaguely post-apocalyptic future where Japan's been destroyed and its people are virtually extinct.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ChrisG wins, Marvel dies.

Not a coincidence.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If there hasn't been a Melty Blood side tournament in a venue's bathroom yet, it's really only a matter of time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Keegers posted:

https://youtu.be/iB1uQmvmh_k

This got blown up and I didn't see any non fgc articles bashing this. And this was way more thuggery than kbrad.

I was looking for it and I found an article about this on some hip-hop site, with a similar tagline to this video. The comments were a whole big mass of racial strife, especially since Viscant showed up for that event dressed like he was trying to impress his girlfriend's parents, who are Catholics from the 1950s, and LTG looks like a 50-Cent Halloween costume that someone threw together at the last minute.

As the FGC gets bigger, it's going to start getting more clickbait articles based on its drama. It's going to be weird to have to explain to people who don't regularly follow this stuff.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

he's wearing a t-shirt and a baseball cap, op

He always reminded me of the cover art from Blood on the Sand. Mostly it's the sneer.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

When I was a young man, dewy-eyed, we would all lose our minds at how great trailers looked.

Now I am an Old, cynical and weary, and everyone's losing their mind at how bad trailers look. Do we not all recall the spectacle of KOFXIV's early trailers? Have we forgotten our lessons so soon?

It'll probably be on the E3 show floor in a few weeks. That's when you use up all your best snark moves. To do so now is to jump the gun.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I suspect it's being designed to scale with platform, so it can be played on potato computers and/or ported to the Switch, and the current gameplay samples are from the low end for the sake of animation sampling.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

That's all well and good but it seems super weird to release your first game play trailer with everything turned way down

The trailer's pretty bare-bones and heavily edited, which suggests it's from an early pre-alpha. It's possible there are bugs preventing a more thorough showing. If the version they're showing off at E3 next month still has models that unpolished, then it's a problem.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Is that supposed to be Aloy in the middle?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I hope there's a nod to the "Dragon Ball Z Abridged" crew the same way there is in Xenoblade. I want to play as Snarky rear end in a top hat Piccolo.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

I really hope Nail still exists as a voice in his mind, and that other Namekians call him Nail.

I'm glad you realized I meant Xenoverse.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Moving the main event to a way more expensive venue and adding a second event in Japan probably had more to do with those numbers than any one game.

It's this. People are getting way too invested in celebrating SFV's failure.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's actually a really good time to be into fighting games overall. I've been hoping the downhill slide of SFV moves people over to KOFXIV.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

In Training posted:

Everybody post your mains

Kazumi, Millia, Makoto, Yuri/Kula/Athena, Karin, Muramasa

SF2: Chun
SF3: mostly Dudley
SF4: Zangief
SFV: Laura

MK: Sonya
MKII: Kitana
MK3: Sonya
MK9: Kitana, Stryker
MKX: Cassie

KI 2013: Orchid, Kim
Tekken: Nina, Julia, Katarina, occasionally Asuka or Xiaoyu, Law

KOF: Terry, Yuri, King, Ralf, Kim

Garou: Terry

GG: Jam

I just really like Terry Bogard, okay

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

giogadi posted:

Everyone that posted their mains is now required to make that post their forum signature

Reminds me of Jenn Dolari from the Usenet days, with her massive signature that had the name of every major female fighting-game character of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats yuri? A russian guy?

A PG-rated romance comic depicting a relationship between two girls.