Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Reiley posted:

I was going to make a big fuss over this but I looked it up and you're right, this was the box for what I had as a kid:

I guess I have a reason to try Turbo now since I actually haven't ever played it before.

I forgot how awesome the super boxart was for the genesis.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Juri and Hakan are the only sf4 character design that I actually liked.The rest were ugly or just boring.

In comparison the sf5 character designs are a lot better. Rashid, Fang and Necall are all pretty good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Captain Baal posted:

I would not say Necalli is good, he is about as milquetoast as aztec tribal warrior can be. He's not bad, but nothing about him sticks out in particular and honestly the comparison to Blanka is more than apt. The two original SFV characters who are cool don't really outweigh the two you just named tbh and I would even say that like Viper and Abel are cool designs even if gameplay wise Viper breaks every convention of SF she can.

Well I said "pretty good" I find necalli got a bit of a character to him and I like the super sayian hair.

The problem with that is that I don't think Viper and Abel are good designs. Viper's got the goofy hair, the weird open shirt and the goggles and nothing about her seems to mesh well. Abel's design was the epitome of generic fighting guy. I didn't like Rufus, El Fuerte or Seth. They were all just boring and nothing about them really popped to me.

I mean SF4 did have more original characters, even in the vanilla version, but man, they did not do a thing for me.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Even UMvC3 was a clusterfuck because it was only a few months after MvC3:FTW, and the vast majority of the gaming public who bought FTW felt like they got ripped off.

I wouldn't say "felt like" I still think they were ripped off. I had a ton of fun playing umvc3 but holy poo poo was it a stupid, stupid move by capcom. Charging 40 bucks for the thing was incredibly stupid.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I usually don't give a two shits about a fighting game story, but I think having capcom and marvel characters interact in a decent story mode could be really fun.

So it's probably not gonna happen.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I don't mind the 2 v 2 but man do the characters tagging in and out look so loving bad.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

Chris looks loving awful. It should have been Leon; who the gently caress likes Chris.

apparently people are freaking over the DLC costumes, I have no idea why. They look beyond bland. Shirtless Thor, X with a scarf, Evil Ryu.

SMH if you don't think command mission X looks cool.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

dragon enthusiast posted:

Gundam VS coming out in the west this fall too! Between that, Senko no Ronde, and Puyo Puyo Tetris, 2017 basically has checked off all my wildest dreams for localization

Serious post everyone should play the gundam versus series since they loving own.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's like someone plugged a machine into my brain to extract my perfect dbz fighting game.

They even fixed one of my main complaints with marvel. Now fighters start in neutral.

Jesus Christ this loving game.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

People are loving crazy if they don't think this is going to sell well.

Goku was one of the top voted characters for being included in Smash. Xenoverse sold super well. The reception to this announcement and trailer has been almost completely positive, aside from some occasional dumbass youtube comment wanting another lovely dbz brawler.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lessail posted:

Man they learned nothing from Goku at all

"You should constantly endanger your family and friends so that you can have even sicker fights with your enemies."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I was sort of hyped when xenoverse first came out, but then I found out the game was a boring grindfest, so gently caress that series.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's really loving weird how little capcom has showed of actual gameplay up to this point, while we have dbz with a playable demo at e3 despite it potentially not being released for another 9 months :psyduck:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

please tell me this is some elaborate prank.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's amazing that I get to play a dbz fighting game in which the characters actually have different playstyles.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Only having fireball motions seems like such a no-brainer I'm surprised no other game (afaik?) has done it yet

it does limit how many special your character can do.

Apparently there's a lot of command normals though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Yeah, they got a dude to make new music for Kai, but then it turned out he completely plagiarized a bunch of it from some movies, so they ended up going back and using the original Japanese score.

which sucks considering there's was a lot of good tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mcHP1HYkds

man this song is just so loving great.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

If krillin could use his disc as an assist, that would be neat. Though probably broken as gently caress.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm curious to how ssb goku will play differently, may be like an order sol/sol situation?

I'm just hoping that now that we have the super versions, we can get Hit or Zamasu in the game.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dias posted:

Original DB is cool. DBZ helped write the book on modern shonen so it doesn't hold up THAT well but it's still good. Super is lighter and Toriyama destroying a bunch of the spergy power-creep BS while still adding more power-creep BS at the same time (well, it's more Toei doing that while Toriyama throws out a basic guideline). It's pretty fun. Broly is a lesbian now.

Super is good since they said "gently caress it" to power levels and instead focused on having all the cast do cool poo poo and help out.

Of course, some fanboys went nuts over the fact that android 17 was relevant again, given that he should be weak or whatever.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vegeta being a rushdown character is completely accurate with the show :colbert:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am going to be a big idiot and pre order the super expensive collector's edition because I want my goku statue and I am 100% convinced that this game will be good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

I can tell you right now there's a lot of melee players who aren't happy about non-GC controllers not being legal

What possible justification is there for this dumb rule?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I will never understand how the smash community can get hype over the same 5 guys winning.

It's gotten so bad that some of the top players have suggested that they be allowed to skip pools altogether.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

darealkooky posted:

how do people watch multiple seasons of a show with voice acting this bad+annoying, jesus christ

The other three girls don't have great voice actors, but they're way less annoying.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Cody's new design is stylish as gently caress, what the gently caress is wrong with some people.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I hope that she at least has a costume for that original look instead.
I'm really not digging that mc hammer pants wearing, bublegum colored look.

She's got buu pants and his color along with beerus tail, so it seems like she's cell 2.0.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

What makes Budokai and Xenoverse so much deeper gameplay wise to these people?

It's in 3d and has beam clashes duh .

Seriously why do they want beam clashes back they looked neat but then it was just about who can spin their stick around the fastest.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

The only negatives I've heard about are about pricing.

I remember hearing that the damage was way too high and it was a cakewalk to take off like 70% of the characters life in one combo.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I live in smaller city now and my scene is god drat near nonexistant. When I lived in Toronto it was great, since I could play in locals.

Smh if you have access to a good local scene and you don't go.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

“We wanted to make a more cool and mature Dead or Alive this time, and to that end we made a conscious decision to make the characters less sexualized,” Shimbori told IGN.

Watch them immediately ditch this concept when they start selling thousands of dollars worth of DLC costumes again.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

In Training posted:

It will eventually by sheer force of electronics lifespan

the last CRT in existence will be used for smash tournaments.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

it's so fuckin sick to see people who don't know anything about smash give their hot takes about rulesets

I don't know anything about smash other than their sets take way too loving long and should be shortened. Hope I'm qualified to say that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm actually hoping for another marvel announcement, since capcom's non fighting game stuff has been incredible lately and it'd be nice to have at least one good fighting game to complete the renaissance.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tae posted:

Here's the tweet announcement for the new assist system

https://twitter.com/BNEesports/status/1226249575796596736

Add push block or something to stop these 45 second long blockstrings and everything is fine

Oh and BN hit gt Goku with some major nerfs

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

So apparently the granblue characters have specific lines for each character in their intro?

I don't care if they get skipped over 99% of the time, I love that poo poo. Every company should do it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

skipping a "dramatic into" or dramatic finish at a tournament should be punishable by a lifelong ban from the tourney and/or death imo.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

I still can't believe that poo poo lasted as long as it did,you'd have to block for a ridiculous amount of time because there wasn't any pushblock.

I got back into dbfz after getting it cheap on steam last Christmas. The game is loving fun but God drat were some of the pressure strings ridiculous. The new changes seem good.

Still want push block.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MechaX posted:

I am an advocate for some kind of metered push block but every time the subject came up with long time players, they would always retort “reflect and Z-Change are good enough, we don’t need push block” and i always just shrugged

Maybe I'm not good enough but the risk with reflect rarely seems worth it imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Artelier posted:

ahaha that's hilarious

i don't follow that game but might give it a shot, who's the cream of the crop then?

Toki if I remember