Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game

Best Fighting Game of All Time or Greatest Fighting Game of All Time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I guess I am just weird. I love melee and fighting games just about equally.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zand posted:

will the community even allow this? they banned the removal of springs from gamecube controllers a long time ago, how is using something like this not considered way worse?

Interesting, why did they ban removing springs?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

anime was right posted:

hitboxes should still be banned tho for real

why? Also, could you do 360 motions on one of those things?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Dude, Geese looks loving baller in this, as does anime Butler.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

monkey kombat was poo poo though, which makes sense in this context

Besides, Nidhogg has the best Rapier combat of any game anyway.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Dias posted:

I get why they changed it, I'm not sure I like it. For some reason it reminds me of Clayfighters.

The Clayfighter series is really a great idea.....just executed loving horribly.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Battlecon is straight up better at being a fighting card game than Yomi, anyway.

AGREED....If only I could actually get people to play it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fayk posted:

Jim Henson fighting game?

Sweetums Grappler Supremacy

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mintergalactic posted:

marvel 4 but it's running on the fantasy strike engine and being developed by david sirlin

Nah, Marvel 4 but made by Arc Sys works :getin:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

the eff gee cee is like 70% black dudes you moron

I always wondered how that came about. Like, what lead to Fighting Games being so much more popular, especially at a high level with black guys vs any other demographic.

Like were there just more arcades that lasted longer in predominantly black areas?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ShortThug posted:

My favorite tbh

It does work surprisingly well. I actually really want this one.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey not to familiar with GG honestly. I'm big on churning butter, is Potemkin going to be my best Zangief-alike?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

He's got the big long ranged throw but GG actively punishes you for trying to do stuff like spin-to-win and his throw is not invincible on startup either. Many other characters have much, much better (and effectively longer ranged) command grabs for offensive purposes, but his is the fastest and best for defensive purposes.

He's also just pretty bad in general and has input detection issues among other things.

pity, and yeah I really actually do enjoy the 360 motion, like I find it very enjoyable and I actively seek out characters with it when choosing my character in a fighting game. One of those things where I remember when I first got into fighting games spending SO much time in training mode trying to teach myself how to do it, and it being so hard to do. When I finally learned how to do it I was super pumped, and now it is just super satisfying.

Like I am a fan of grapplers in general, cerebella being my second favorite after Gief, but if I get into GG I wont really have as much fun long term as I could without a 360 grappler.

Alright, well Jack-O it is. She has a cool design anyway.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ultramega posted:

You should just be playing GG as a general thing already.

Eh, most people I know jumped on the SFV train if they played fighting games at all. So getting in on GG was a losing proposition until recently

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

drscience posted:

Is goku gonna be dlc in injustice 2

I know you are being facetious, but Netherrealms would make ALL THE MONEY if they did that. Injustice wasn't super popular with the Animu dork crowd, at least in my area, and I know for a fact that if they could beat up Superman with Goku they would snap it up.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Pomp posted:

the best one is a loving mugen game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90OkDal1WP4

Is it any good....or just typical Mugen game quality?

It looks decent, but I'm scrub tier so :shrug:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just curious, what would you guys prefer? A straight vote with every donation, no matter the amount?

HOKUTO NO-MOTHERFUCKING-KEN

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

March 19th HNK nationals get hype

I would love to see HNK at EVO..............I mean it is such a ludicrously broken fighting game.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

It's gonna be Master chief and Bad box art megaman but this time he'll be a bald space marine with gunhands

Look, I'm fine with this, as long as Megaman isn't cool bald, but awkward sort of bald. You know, like a tonsure but with a few wisps of hair in the middle as well.....Like Charlie Brown as a monk.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ugh.....Bat Top

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Trykt posted:

The left-handed are scum.

Sinister bastards.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zand posted:

(with regards to scrub player) why is "tier lists don't matter unless you're world champion level" such a pervasive idea for fighters? especially when, in games like league, this sentiment is not nearly as prominent

Tier lists are made based on tournament data and the idea is the players competing in those tournaments are using all the tools available to those characters well. When you're a scrub in a fighting game you are very much aware you are a scrub (most of the time) and so that information doesn't seem necessary. Further, most of the time when you are starting out, dedicating yourself to characters you find fun or are willing to spend more time with will pay more dividends insofar as success, not because the character is better but because you are willing to spend time with that character. So even though if you spent the same amount of time learning Laura that you did F.A.N.G. you would be doing better, the fact that you like F.A.N.G. means you will actually spend the time.

Whereas in games like league, bad players don't know they are bad. They think they keep losing because of bad teammates or what have you. So they don't think they need to spend the time learning and just gravitate to whatever is the tier whore dujour.

At least that is what I can tell from my league playing friends, I hate team based competitive games and wont touch them because I like knowing I lost because of me so I will actually work to improve myself versus blaming it on some pub or what have you.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zand posted:

isn't mkxl their apology release though?

and also with the tier lists, they are just collections of matchup data generally. a good tier list can provide valuable insight in to how things should play out.

I don't disagree with you. I look at tier lists to help decide who I need as my secondary character in most fighters. Usually I choose my main based on who I enjoy the most(90% of the time its a butter churning grappler) and then my secondary is someone who covers the holes in that guys game plan. Zangief and Dictator seem to work as a decent pair for most matches I play.

I was just stating what my logic was (as in how I used to think), and the logic I see parroted when it comes to ignoring tier lists.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

zooted heh posted:

my favorite thing about that thread is that there are ppl claiming to be gods with poo poo tier fighters yet I've never seen them post in any other fighting game threads.

I'm decidedly lovely. I'm not quite scrub tier, but you best believe I drown in pools.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 17, 2017

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arzachel posted:

If you lose in a team based game, it's because of you, hth.

Eh, I'd rather not play them in the first place.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

HAIL (Mr.) SATAN

If this game ends up being the DBZ game of my dreams Satan will be top tier.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

I just hope they let me play as Tenshinhan, the strongest human

Krillin is the strongest human,

Tenshinhan is the strongest tri-clops/human hybrid

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

But who's Jack-o?

Jaco?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

MvCI will sell more copies than the DBZ game because it is Marvel, the most popular thing on the planet

I really think you are underestimating how popular DBZ is. Marvel is super popular, and is definitely more popular in this country, but DBZ is a humongous worldwide phenomenon

Hell as of 2014:

Over 15 million DBZ video games have been sold in the US alone, over 40 million worldwide.

Over 5 billion dollars in merchandise has been sold worldwide.

source-https://www.thecnl.com/FunimationNov2014Catalog.pdf

Hell, Goku is such an icon that hes going to be used as an "Ambassador" for the 2020 Olympic games in Japan.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

FGs are one of the few communities where the top players aren't all Euro dudes or Koreans so it's always seemed a bit more diverse to me.

True, but it is still, for a lot of reasons, mostly dudes.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Capcom dick must really taste good, huh?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I might buy it once the game is finished and there is a bundle for $30 to get the game & DLC characters together. I am not paying Capcom $150 for this mess, no.

Holy crap, I agree with Rutibex about a game....is this how low Capcom has fallen?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nate405 posted:

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/885654714624253952

Capcom's getting an early start on disappointing people this weekend.

How is Capcom so bad at this PR thing?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I hope Hercule Satan ends up being a playable and good character, with his jet pack and presents he's had in some of the Budokai games. Make him top tier by having him cheat his way to victory!

Hell, make his super bribing someone to take a fall.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

he1ixx posted:

Since I'm new to this, who is Geese Howard and why should I care or be excited about him? I have no context for this and he just looked like a dude who was punching other people.

He's the main bad guy in the Fatal Fury series and recurring character in the King of Fighters series. He has awesome counters and grabs, otg throws, air fireballs and an infamous "pretzel input" (1632143+P) super that is super satisfying to pull off.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

Yes.

Then they make a youtube playlist of Zangief pile driving women thats 15 minutes long.

Hey, don't Kinkshame.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey does anybody know if there are combo lists for Saya in Nitroplus out there. I like the way her keepaway game works in Nitroplus, but I need something to actually do damage.....I can't really find much of anything, not even a bread and butter out there.....then again my google-fu may just be lacking.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Leviathean posted:

A basic ground combo should just be 2A[*N] 2B 3B 5C into Grab-Super. The super might not reach if the opponent was pushed too far away during the combo.
A basic anti-air combo is 6A 5E into an air combo. From memory, j.B j.E works for simple knockdown. Her throw should also link into 5E for the same air combo.
Poking with 5C will combo into the CE super, even at max range, if you need the somewhat low damage for 2 meter.
Finally for burst damage, the assists Alushia and Dragon synergize well and are very easy to use for all characters.
Saya Example: command-grab >> Alushia >> Dragon >> get close to opponent >> 236236BC is like an easy unburstable 10k damage.

If you want more assist ideas, I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vIAPIXsU3A

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

disguise the tutorial as story mode

And here is the correct answer. Combine the tutorials in GG with an actual narrative with cut scenes and unlocks and the like you'll give a whole bunch of people the tools necessary to play Fight Games decently.

Now, that being said, there are a bunch of people who just can't accept losing without other people to blame their mistakes/loss on, so they'll stay firmly in Overwatch and Mobas (where they belong), but for those whose actual barrier was learning the skills and being motivated to learn more and more complicated things, making the tutorial a in depth and comprehensive story mode is the right way to go.