Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Why did Ibuki change from hard-working ninja to questing for dick.

IIRC Ibuki was always like this but they just didn't translate every single win quote and exchange into English until more recently, making several of the characters seem like generic hardworking person (Ryu especially).

But female Street Fighter characters on a quest for dick is nothing new to the series. Finally finished my ten year quest to avenge my father's death via entering a fighting tournament with guys that shoot fireballs and can fly and stuff? Time to set sail for dick before I even finish paying my respects at my dad's grave.

It wasn't til Super that the game gave the option to continue being a cop instead of immediately embarking on a quest for dick. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It would be amazing if they're loving us and the silhouettes are Miu, Jun and Reiji like when they kept saying a character known for counters from KoF '96 would be returning in '99 making people excited for Geese Howard except it ended up being Kasumi Todoh. I know they're not and it's clearly Yamazaki, Vanessa and Whip and that's gonna be awesome but still. :P

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zebia posted:

Yamazaki and probably Blue Mary. The person standing tall looks like they're wearing a jacket with a furred collar like one of Mary's previous attires:

Some people are saying it's Rock Howard but yeah it's totally Blue Mary. Blue Mary+Vanessa+Yamazaki fits as an Agent team. I'm curious how they'll do four characters though, like one new team with an ending and stuff? Or just four individual ones with no extra intro/whatever stuff going on?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

When they put out "this is absolutely not inspired or guided by MCU" that was also tremendous bullshit. I refuse to believe white-man with shades version of Hawkeye got in over someone like Doctor Octopus due to anything other than "BUT, THE MOVIES"

The best part of that interview wasn't just saying that, but the Jedi mind trick to steer the conversation away from it having no X-Men characters. "These aren't CHARACTERS that people are looking for Magneto and Wolverine aren't popular people don't REALLY like those characters they like the uh MOVES THOSE CHARACTERS HAVE CHECK OUT HOW AWESOME CAPTAIN MARVEL IS SHE'S JUST LIKE MAGNETO YOU'RE GONNA LOVE HER IF YOU LIKE MAGNETO AND DR. DOOM DID YOU KNOW SHE'S GONNA BE A HUGE PLAYER IN THE MOVIES!!!!!"

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 24, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

3 arcsys games, injustice 2, melee still in, no marvel. goddamn what a world. if only they could kick one of the loving Smash games off and put in a KOF game this would be the best lineup.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shiki Dan posted:

VF4 Evo had the best tutorial, training mode, 1P arcade mode, and CPU AI in the history of fighting games and nothing has come close to surpassing it in 15 years.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm certainly the last person on earth that's asking for this, but was there a shared WBID account for Mortal Kombat X to get the extra costumes like we did with Injustice?

Nevermind I got it, it's still sainjustice3

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 5, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I saw Marn for the first time in ages on one of the Norcal Regional streams, dude's turned into Vietnamese Steve Bannon

I'm still chuckling at this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That gaming.moe interview was kind of heartbreaking, the guy who did the animation for Ragnagard was a super skilled sprite artist and was so hype to get a job working on a Neo Geo game and then his boss on a whim decided pre-rendered was the future and he lacked the confidence/seniority to resist that. But he did go into an extreme amount of detail about how the game works which was kind of cool.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kawabata posted:

why do they keep recycling their animation

Perhaps the same could be said of all fighting games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Kiryu is unqualified to be the best boy, he's the best man

Yeah I could see Kiryu more in like a hypothetical new Real Bout or Garou or Art of Fighting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blandia double elimination

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

I think 50 base for $40. Another $40 for 8 more though lol.

Those sons of bitches don't care how many Rock Howard and Blue Mary fans they hurt.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I will not buy it because I have still never forgiven them for mk xviii when Scorpion was not on the cover.

They should do what they did with Deception and make every single version of the game have a different person on the cover.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

BB music is less consistently good than GG but there's still some really good ones in there. I really like Hibiki's theme, however I am not a music person so I do not know if it is "objectively" good.

I agree, GGX heavy rock arrange (what they used on the Dreamcast and PS2 iterations) and XX are GOAT level good game soundtracks to me. Xrd is fine but kind of blah. BB does have a couple of really good tracks but the overall thing just sounds more generic to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vermillion from Toshinden 2 and Naru Amoh from Toshinden 3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sade posted:

The first etc character is gonna be Aarzak

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Potsticker posted:

I would like a full on Castlevania Judgement 2.

After we get Weaponlord 2

With the customization someone should try to just build this in Soul Calibur 6. I mean they can't possibly make outfits worse than what as in the actual Castlevania Judgement.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

King of Fighters XIII outsold UMVC3 for a long time which is really saying something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

There was a popular GD-ROM for Dreamcast that had CvS2, 3S and MvC2 all on it. I think it was called TDO2?

The best thing about doing this was that Capcom and SNK's and FIRE PRO WRESTLING's (and several other but not all Dreamcast games) had ADX files as their music tracks so it was relatively easy to customize their soundtracks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

MVCI looks like a mobile game

what was the name of that marvel mobile fighter that came out around the same time? it looked exactly like that

It was said that budget wise, the amount of $$$ and resources that went into Street Fighter V's DLC and DLC costumes is the same amount of $$$ and resources that went into the entire game of MvC Infinite. Absolutely stunning misfire of a game on multiple levels.

I remember all the Jedi Mind Trick caliber interview shenanigans trying to justify the roster as something that was amazing and not just that they weren't allowed to use X-Men or Fantastic Four anything and had to focus on MCU stuff. "I mean when it comes down to it, no one actually LIKES Dr. Doom you know?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

the depth of badness is still surprising. could have just been mediocre like blade strangers

Yeah it's like, impressive how little is going on in the game, even regarding the cosmetic customization stuff. It's aggressively-SNK-had-to-make-an-effort-to-be-this-bad instead of just whatever like folks expected.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

In Training posted:

I was wondering this too and SNK says an arcade patch is coming to consoles next week that adds stick compatibility and the Million Arthur character, so clear that up before I slander the game too much.

I played a few matches online and literally the only thing that differentiates the characters to me right now is the range of their jumping heavy attack and their super move. Once I just stopped using special moves or any combos over like those initial few hits you can easily altogether I was winning consistently because the only thing that matters is landing as many super moves as possible and you can do that more often.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zand posted:

bad fighting games are a tradition for the genre and deserve to be celebrated and played

when people got together irl to play fighters instead of online, bad fighting games were commonly played for fun. I can't imagine anything that would suck the fun out of a game like snk heroines more than not playing it with your crew in person

I hate playing games online in general - this was the first time I played a game online since the week KoF XIV came out - but we played plenty in person yesterday and it wasn't much of an improvement.

I mean the game isn't zero fun or anything but we're never going to drop the same amount of fun-with-bad-games-amount-of-time on this like we would with the legendary bad fighting games of yore. But I do like how, contrary to my fears, they actually did remember who the characters are and their special moves have little cartoony effects based on their profiles in the King of Fighters games and stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I don't mind that this game's mostly going to be the Samurai Shodown 1 crew and maybe some folks from 2. Honestly I kind of don't even care what the roster is because Samurai Shodown characters are where it's at. Even the ones from the post HNG64 3D games are rad as hell, just trapped in godawful games.

I hope the soundtrack and backgrounds are on point though. Samurai Shodown 6's roster is amazing but WOW was the presentation a joke. I don't know if I'd care when the roster is that big for any other fighting game but Samurai Shodown backgrounds and music in most of the games are second to none to it was a noticeable step down.

TulliusCicero posted:

Sylvie is a beautiful little cinnamon bun with electric powers, I will hear no more of this slander

I hated the look of this character until XIV actually came out and then I started using her pretty regularly, she's super fun and they committed with all of her dorky animations so her nutso outfit actually fits.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

When XV inevitably happens they should replace the pachinko team with a team of Gen-An/Basara/Murkuro.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fight for Life

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

'97 Ralf wrecks everything in that drat game with the C button

Romes128 posted:

Sagats c.hp and Haohmaru’s s.hp in cvs2 were the best buttons.

"THAT'S WHAT I LIKE TO CALL, BIIIIG DAMAAGE!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

lmao they literally made the lower half of Anakaris's body into a skin instead of Anakaris

Dude can't catch a break.

But you know they must have made the decision with plans to make at least a second run with Jedah and Hsien-Ko/Lei-Lei skins. Maybe his upper body will make it in as a Zangief skin or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Making Dimitri/Morrigan skins and not giving them to shotoclones. 0/10

Just LOL if you expected redone projectiles or voices.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Sonya Blade is weird because before they went 3D, she generally had a good design. She got pants, she wore a top and generally her story wasn't centered around Johnny Cage making bad passes at her constantly and the player switching between beating up Johnny Cage to prove she's a strong woman and then playing as Johnny Cage to white knight her against Kano.

All of the female MK costumes got way worse as the series went on because in MK1 through Ultimate a human had to be able to both wear the outfit and actually perform the poses and some of the moves. MKX was a massive improvement on that across the board.

I think I was the one who made the Mai Shiranui effort post someone brought up, but yeah whenever I have a problem with a female character's outfit it's not because I think unrealistic/skimpy clothing = bad it's because the look doesn't match the rest of how the character rolls. That's why King of Fighters and Samurai Shodown are untouchable with regard to their character designs. There's quite a few characters from both that I hate, but every single one of them is on point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

check around 3:24 in that video for a special surprise

Endorph posted:

the animations in the mortal kombat/dc games are terrible. superman looks like hes trying to get a shirt with twisted sleeves off when he punches

The best thing about the Injustice 2 animation is that it's still waaaaaaaay better than Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. They just, like, mapped Scorpion's Deadly Alliance-era idle and pre/post-fight stance stuff to a Batman character model and it was like, what? But going by 3D MK games and Injustice 2 I guess it would make sense that combining MK and DC together would give you the worst animations ever.

Potsticker posted:

This is a really good point. And I think it applies not just to the female costumes, too. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles talking, but I do think the BMX armor robots look better than their later designs. It also made them pretty visually distinctive as compared to generic robots in any other media.

It's a great design for sure.

I don't think it is just nostalgia. I mean MK has its roots in Enter the Dragon, Big Trouble in Little China, and a billion Godfrey Ho movies, so the ultra low budget secret ninja society look is dead on perfect. But I liked that we got to see human Cyrax and Sektor and that their names as humans are still Cyrax and Sektor.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 27, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

From forever ago but SNK's all female fighting game now has two female versions of male characters in it before Blue Mary.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

for me the main barrier to DOA is not the boobs or the outfits, but the block button

Spanish Manlove posted:

block buttons are weird to my idiot brain

Fluegel posted:

I'm a weirdo that loves block buttons. I manage fine with holding back but my brain thinks of blocking as a dedicated action deserving a button.

There's always Buriki One for the worst of all worlds - You use the joystick to block, but you tap the joystick up to block, and down to block low attacks, and you also use the joystick to attack and do special moves.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Had no idea about the Siegfried Dark Legacy "minigame," that owns. Yeah it'll probably almost never come up much like Shenron in DBZ but it's still really cool that the devs put stuff like that in the game, it shows a level of creativity and care in their product and in the offchance those things do appear in a close match, it's always loving cool.

It owns and reminds me of some of the awesome poo poo in the Fatal Fury games like Mai's super that you have to perform while taunting or how B. Jenet has that super move you can do as you just defend where she beats the opponent with her shoe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

inthesto posted:

The whole reason Gill is designed the way he is is that Capcom wanted to show off the power of the CPS3 by having a character that would behave differently depending on which way they faced

Is this true because SNK did this in KoF'99 with Clark's armbands and stuff with the power of hardware from 1989.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

World Heroes 3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

King of Fighters XIV has 50 characters out of the box which is pretty nuts for something on a new (albeit admittedly not amazing looking) engine in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Arzachel posted:

I asked her about my gifts and Bloodborne. She said I should know that she does not want things with "spirits," or dark ritual stuff in her household. She's decided to take a religious position and wants to set her home up as a "christian home." She added that she hopes I keep this in mind when I buy gifts for any future kids down the road.

Depending on what version of Christianity she's going with her attitude towards Bloodborne makes sense since it's like the single most Catholic video game ever made.

CharlestonJew posted:

Shadow: War of Succession