Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
So what's this about Dead or Alive being totally killed off at NEC just now? are Tecmo-Koei really doing that or was it more them just leaving DOA 5 alone now?

edit: ^well there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

fadam posted:

How active is the Gundam Fighter online community? Considering grabbing it while its on sale.

I bought that game myself, as far as I can tell the community is scattered around discords, of varying levels of embarrassing to hang around in. There's a thread here for the game but it's not too active right now. People tend to do player matches over ranked, so as long as you stick to that you should find players still.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Tried out the dissidia beta since theres no way i play it after tonight with dbzf coming in the morning...i dont think its as good as gundam vs. Moving and comboing is easier without practice but moves per character are really limited and enemy targeting is very weird or maybe I dont understand it but i cant get the reticule to do what i want. I also think there might be some kind of character level up process which is really off putting for online matches but its hard to tell in the beta what all the ranks and xp bars after a match mean.

The more arena games i play the more i realize i dont really like the way they feel or their reliance on teamwork...is the new virtual on crossover a 1v1 or a party based game?

I played a bunch of it last night with friends and I can clear some things up. Yes there is levelling for attacks, as you gain character levels you learn more HP attacks, and more EX attacks (which are basically buffs/debuffs). In the beta, at least, the movesets aren't as extensive as the PSP games, which leads to it feeling repetitive after a while. Not having multiple HP attacks at once and no chains kind of sucks. On the plus side, characters are mostly functional without much levelling, since you only earn HP attacks from it. Enemy targetting can be tweaked in a menu if people have a hard time with it, either it's based on enemy position or scrolls in a set list.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
The new Dissidia game has a really good, long as gently caress airdash on a single button that recovers fast and lasts almost as long as you want it to.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I would have laughed in your face if you told me that any tv character is getting in Tekken. Goddamn :allbuttons:

edit: Can we get Jon Snow in Soul Calibur then?

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 6, 2018

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
What do people make of Blade Strangers? It's fairly cheap on Steam right now and looks fun from match videos at least. I know at least one guy itt bought it, at least. I already have UNIST before anyone tells me to get that instead. Just wanted to get the Goon Opinion before diving in on it.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I decided to at least give it a try for the couple of hours til I can refund it. Found the discord for it, basically gonna see if there's much of an EU presence, if not might as well just refund, doubt the netcode will hold up to cross-atlantic matchups. Helen seems like a cool character.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I think Samsho is in a really rough state and kind of regretting spending £50 on it right now. Online is dreadful even when wired and against people in the same region, loading times are super long and the UI in general just sucks. Not going to comment on the game itself but I think it would be worth waiting for a patch or three, SNK have said they're working on the online at least.

Edit: You can however, as a spectator online, annoy the gently caress out of the players by spamming the "boo" sound effect, which also causes slowdown if you do it a lot, which is kind of funny.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 28, 2019

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I have a wire for my PS4 connection so it definitely isn't that that's the issue with Samsho. I can play against the same person totally fine in like Mortal Kombat and other fgs but Samsho was an awful lagfest that didn't even maintain 60fps for most of the set, despite being 4 green bars. I guess you guys got lucky because my experience so far has not been impressive.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Kikkoman posted:

I just picked up Killer Instinct on Steam since it was on sale for roughly $10 CAD. I put a couple hours into it yesterday and it's still just so much fun. I'm not great at fighting games in general but the combo system makes so much sense to me. I reckon I'll keep plugging at the dojo, trials & shadow lords modes for a while and maybe at some point I'll try to find an online match, but I heard it's pretty barren.

The Discord for KI is very active and will absolutely be down for matches if you can find it. I'm not in it anymore so I can't give an invite but it's well worth seeking it out if you want matches. It's been a while since I played it but I remember Ranked being decently populated too.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Fantasy Strike is a decent fg that has stuff that much bigger budget fgs really should have, like GGPO, crossplay that works decently, ability to matchmake while doing literally anything else in the game and actually a pretty fun singleplayer mode in the boss rush, but has the odd questionable design decision like the deliberate lack of lobbies and no dummy recording in training mode (wtf). I've ended up on the odd stream for the game, it has a very active and knowledgable, if small scene of players of all levels of experience and "rank-up" nights on some Fridays for EU mainly. It's super matchup heavy and despite the simplicity of the characters there's still room for some very nasty poo poo that, due to aformented simplicity, is much easier to do than to deal with.

Unlike a lot of these "simple" fighting games there aren't assloads of defensive mechanics and bursts and anti-zoning poo poo, which makes grapplers and zoners mean as gently caress when they get their games going. Grapplers especially benefit from pre-jump frames being grabbable unless the throw is explicitly jumpable, unlike most modern fighting games. The pace of the game is fast and damage can be very high and explosive. There's a reason 4 or so rounds are the default.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Honestly I agree with the point about the boss rush moves and making them regular moves. Some of them really help characters out and some are just straight fun. Like DeGrey getting a proper ground Bionic Arm for instance. I think Sirlin can trust us to manage pressing forward or back for specials at leaat.

I wound up on a stream for Akatsuki Blitzkampf earlier as well, the Discord community put on a tournament. Round robin and then grand finals first to 5. Won most of my round robin matches, then got beat on by the one guy I lost to for grand finals. 2nd place in my first fg tournament thing for literally years isn't bad though :shobon:

Someone on said Discord got their hands on the source code for the oldass Caster it uses for netplay, so there is the potential for improvements to come.for the five of us who play it still.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 23, 2019

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

HerniaFlange posted:

I have a dumb slow brain so that's probably why I was okay with it.
A little tangential, but I've always wondered what a fighter designed to run at 30 FPS instead of 60 would be like (besides instantly shunned by PC gamers).

The JoJo Bizzare Adventure fighting game on PS3 was designed for 30fps and feels awful as a result.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

P-Mack posted:

They added the Garou code to Samsho V Special I think

Yes they did and it works well. Not that it boosted the playerbase any, though.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Whats the online population like for SAMURAI SHODOWN V SPECIAL on Steam? Not too difficult to find matches?

I've literally never seen more than 2 people online at any one time. Definitely one you'll have to find Discord matches for.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Is GBFVS already dead on PC because I only play online ranked annnnd + no rollback netcode. Also nobody has posted in the actual thread in almost a month.

The EU lobby is still pretty active on PC at least, but definitely has dropped from Lobby #1 being full like it was on release. GBVS is fun but the balance right now is more than a bit wacky. The new character is apparently coming with an actual patch that will hopefully tone done the few really crazy characters, at least.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
What is the not Pony fighting game supposed to play like anyway? Is it one of the five minute long combo set of fightman games or is it something else? The art is pretty and my kid sister will probably love it if nothing else.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
KI has some limited crossplay between Windows 10 version and Steam but in my experience it is awkward to get working. Steam version I expect will be used because the W10 version doesn't fully support controllers that aren't official Xbox ones whereas Steam now has that handy controller emulator. W10 version does have crossplay with console version but I think the controller issue might prevent its use.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 14, 2020

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah I genuinely wonder why that is

I expect main reasons are that barely anyone plays the game at all outside of a big community tournament, of which the last big one I know of got around 65 people max. There's also no lobbies, but spectating is still possible anyway but I guess the lack of it causes assumptions about that. It also has the stigma of being bad easy casual fighter, which isn't necessarily true for FS but easy to see why people would think that. Like, someone on Resetera recently compiled a list of active fighting games on Steam and Fantasy Strike wasn't even pulling double digits at the time I mentioned it to them.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
If Fantasy Strike had more than a single digit amount of players regularly and that scene also partook in other games then I expect it would be on. However (having actually played a lot of it) it's ended up like Smash where the players mostly just play that and don't really branch out into other games; and since the game has little to offer to experience fightman game players you don't get the big names trying it out either. Truly a cursed fighting game.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Yeah for the amount of effort even the default training mode master combos do you do tickle levels of damage.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Samsho Neogeo Collection comes out on Epic Store today, free for the first week.

New Samsho's out there too, someone get it and tell us how the port is.

Ars Technica have been posting on Resetera about the port of SS7 here. First impressions not great, port doesn't have an in-game way to quit the game (so you need to alt+f4), doesn't seem to support resolutions higher than 1080p in menus and borderless fullscreen is broken.

edit: Both 7 and collection now out on the store. Collection is 10gb, SS7 is 30gb or so. Store's getting hammered though.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 11, 2020

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Not having an in game way to quit said game is an impressive new level of bad port that I'm not sure has been seen before? That's incredible

I forget, are the other games in the collection the ports with the good roll back netcode?

Yes the Neo Geo collection is the games with the good netcode. I have the collection downloaded, but it crashes on launch so is for me literally unplayable now. Verifying files and ensuring that graphics driver is updated did nothing. I'm really glad it was free at least. Some people have managed to get into the game but not me.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Have you tried launching the exe directly instead of through the Epic launcher? It actually works without Epics launcher, and maybe that’s what’s breaking it?

Tried that, nothing. Reinstalled game, made sure drivers updated, turned off Discord overlay, unplugged stick just in case that was causing problems, turned AV off, ran in admin mode, nothing. At least it was free.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
For the people (like me) having crashing issues with SamSho Collection :siren:this is what got it working for me:siren: . Do that and restart your PC and hopefully it should work.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

Samsho VI isn't in the collection and isn't available on Steam or Epic or anything and this will drive me completely insane forever

Missing a title from a nearly complete collection of games upsets me

It's probably because it's on a different platform (Atomiswave) than all the others, at least. Maybe DE just wasn't up to getting Atomiswave emulation working correctly?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Warden's really weird.

He only has two specials (214S for a parry, 236S for the shoulder charge; neither seem to have different strength levels). The shoulder charge can be held for like 2s to give it a guardpoint and make it guard crush, but uncharged it's insanely slow and easy to punish (you can't even hit with it when cancelling into it from 2B, his only cancellable normal). The parry catches all mid and high slashes/projectiles/weapon specials (doesn't catch anything low, or kicks/punches and specials that don't use a weapon). He has three target combos (n.MS>MS>MS, f.MS>MS and n.HS>HS) all of which end in an incredibly slow overhead which doesn't combo unless you parried the enemy first (you can feint the followups by ending the TC with K instead).

That's the whole kit.

He also has a guard point on mid slash as well and it looks like from videos he has a cancellable dash button as well. It looks like Shoulder Charge isn't as crazy as the For Honor version I guess.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Fair enough, I guess I just remember it from the srk days. And he definitely has been a piece of poo poo forever, so glad to see him go

On a totally different note, I picked up MK11 on steam sale and was wondering, do people actually input down, back 1 moves and things like that using only the cardinal directions?

It makes way more sense to me to just do it at a quarter circle, and it doesn't seem to have any problems with that input

You can actually activate traditional fighting game esque inputs as well if you really want, but then it does require the diagonals. In my experience its better to just leave that setting off as just doing them as quarter circles is fine. Not sure why NRS bothers with that option.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
My favourite fg hatemail was the guy who told me that "you brush your teeth with knobs" after I beat him in VF5 Final Showdown, then a week later sent me the same message despite not having matched him again since.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

MechaX posted:

GranBlue is legit fun, but just had too many external factors working against it unless you’re in Japan. Ranked has slowed to a crawl in NA/EU and the lobbies (or lobby in the singular) at this point are the same 20-ish SS/SSS players grinding it out.

Pretty much my entire scene all dropped Granblue at the same time, and weekly tournaments that a Discord I'm on holds for various FGs dropped so low in attendance for Granblue that they were considering just dropping the game from rotation. People got bored of how simple the game is and how Lance and Ferry just ran things even with their supposed nerfs. I think Season 2 will be make-or-break for the game outside of Japan.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Yep, Geras can.

In particular, in a non-competitive variation he can rewind and fast-forward the timer with meter, and in a competitive variation now he can rewind himself back to what he was doing a few seconds ago, and can do that mid combo too.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 14, 2020

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
MK11 is fun even despite some of the really whack ideas NRS put into the game for some reason, like the messy variation system and how rolling is nearly impossible to do if you are a human being for some reason. Decent online and still very active too.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

That's the exact price I'd want to pay to play that game.

Also with two new characters, one of them who will probably struggle, and the other looks like he auto-wins if he hits you like once with his constant illusion 50/50s. As well as the 3v1 he causes if he hits his air super as a counter hit. Sirlin why.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Seriously, I am unable to stay connected to Fantasy Strike's servers. I know it's not an issue with PSN, because I have yet to lose my connection to that.

I wish I could say that I was interested in learning the game, but can't with this issue

Its not you, the servers are busted due to the F2P launch. You should have been able to skip the tutorial through the pause menu too.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Zeether posted:

What's the best solution for playing wired netplay if your router is upstairs/far off? I heard powerline adapters work but are a crapshoot depending on your home wiring and I don't know if I want to run 100ft of Cat9 all the way upstairs

Yeah if your house is ancient and has oldass wiring Powerline won't work so great, but if it does have even half decent wiring then they work well. I use one myself and it turned online fgs from laggy messes into actually playable just for the stability alone. Make sure to get one with a passthrough if you buy one, though.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Game owns but everyone knows what they're doing except for you so prepare to get destroyed.

If you wanna clown bad players it's mostly just SF or the the PS4 version of Tekken.

This, you are going to get bodied hardcore in MBON because most of the playerbase are killers who have probably been playing since the Dreamcast days, tutorials or not. That's been my experience as well. There are Discords that do beginning-only lobbies sometimes which might help, like I think the Extreme Evolution discord does those sometimes. Most of the playerbase is in player rooms so stick to those imo if you want the most games. At least getting into and out of matches is quick!

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Endorph posted:

do snes games on fightcade 2 require port forwarding or anything? me and a bud wanna play some endless duel

SNES games don't work properly for most people on FC2 yet. If you and your buddy open the game up manually once connecting to each other that might work but carries risk of desyncs (you can do this to watch SNES replays through as well from FC2 matches). There are some people with whom it works fine but nobody I've asked on the main discord or elsewhere has any solutions. Mednafen works fine as an alternative, at least, even if online is a bit more fiddly to set up.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Endorph posted:

Dang, I was sold on endless duel and was lied to.

Yeah I was wanting to play Sailor Moon and try Gundam with the Americans since it would have rollback on Fightcade but poo poo just does not work right. As far as that game goes even when it does work it runs at 40fps on Fightcade in matches for some reason. It's not really a priority for the FC devs at the moment either :(

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Finally playing Bubs pays off :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
She also has a ground stomp that isn't a teleport but is still fullscreen and unblockable, and looks similar to the teleporting one.