Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ryoga posted:

Not really a fan of the speed of granblue, but Charlotta's demon flip is fun to throw out.

Yeah, I stuck with her the entire beta. She's fun (especially with demon flip), but fighting against a Katalina that knows what they're doing is a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

You know for as much work and effort I have put in making YT work out for me, getting Tens of thousands of subscribers, millions and millions of views helping people learn fighting games, The only complaints I have ever had about thumbnails are the same few creeps that always bother me here on SA. Funny how that works.

Sorry the thumbnails make you mad, but I kinda really don't care, nobody else does either.

I've really enjoyed your channel; it's easily one of the best FG channels out there. Your MK11 coverage has been fantastic.

What's funny is that when you started producing YT content regularly and it started showing up in my subs feed, I had completely forgotten that you were a goon, so for months I was trying to remember when I had discovered your channel and couldn't figure it out. Then once I started visiting the forums again regularly and saw you post a link to your channel, that's when it clicked for me.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

All these people who dislike the president of the world disappoint me.

G's easily the best newcomer of SFV, like absurdly so. Him dropping was the last time I had fun with the game.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

As disappointed as I was with Infiltration winning, I was pretty disappointed with SamSho top 8 as a whole. Everyone who played Infi just seemed to collapse against him, and I'm not 100% sure if it's just because everyone is still incredibly raw at the game and he was able to focus specifically on SamSho, or if Genjuro is just that much better than everyone else.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

It's a little of both. There were four Genjuro players in Top 8, but only Infiltration made it into Top 3. Genjuro is very good, but Infiltration had a unique and especially strong playstyle.

He's an rear end in a top hat, but he's an rear end in a top hat who's unnaturally good at video games.

Oh, no doubt. I've never been an Infi fan (even before him being an abusive PoS came out), but he's pretty good.

His Genjuro's style comes off as high risk, high reward. Several players had his number for a second, but he was able to turn it around.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is the Dragon Ball FighterZ Pass 1 worth it at half off? I've been meaning to play FighterZ again, and I happen to notice the first pass is on sale. How good/fun were the characters? I think I bought Broly by himself, but I don't have any of the others.

Cooler, Vegitto, Zamasu, and Base Vegeta are fun characters, and Bardock is the best character in the game if you care about such things.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

The Kins posted:

It's actually fascinating just how much Capcom Dev 1 (who do DMC and RE) have their poo poo together in comparison to the fighting game guys. Capcom is a land of contrasts indeed.

It's pretty frustrating to look at what Capcom's done since MHW dropped and having a hell of a run (MM11, REmake 2, DMCV)... while getting nothing FG-wise. Hell, the best thing that's happened to SF in that period is Ken getting announced for Smash.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

idk why but always thought BURN KNUCKLE was :krad:

I dunno if this counts since it's a super, but I've always loved BUSTAH WOLF

What I'm saying is that Terry has the best moves.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

In Training posted:

Well along these lines what about good rear end fight intros. Billy Kane's "Ima gonna gently caress you so bad" is a classic.

Honestly, all of 3rd Strike's rival intros for me, but Alex/Hugo and Ryu/Ken in particular.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yipes and matrix are cool right

As long as Tasty Steve is still cool, I'll have hope for the FGC.

Please don't ruin Tasty Steve for me.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
He's also learning Marduk in T7.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Merilan posted:

I remember getting to play one of the VF games as a minigame from Yakuza and felt it was pretty incomprehensible to understand, but I didn't deeply engage or anything

Isn't the VF5 minigame just the full arcade version?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1183589249138020357

Asuka no

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

i mean xavier woods runs a video game youtube channel in his off time and regularly shows up at fg tournaments and game events with kenny omega. the gamers have long since risen up

My assumption is that she's going to take Kenny and/or Xavier on in SFV at some point (possibly at CEO or some other event), especially considering that they were both commenting on her tweet.

I also found out today that Asuka started her own YouTube channel last month, and it's a hybrid gaming/vlog channel done in a mix of Japanese/English. If you didn't know she was a famous WWE wrestler, you'd think she was just a Japanese YouTuber living in the States:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZFzfw5Idu6qC1ub3eVl2YA

I now know how to make chanko stew thanks to her, though, and that's kinda neat.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

chumbler posted:

I wish I was good enough to get hate mail.

Same :(

I've been playing a lot of SamSho online lately, and the lag today made me saltier than I've been in a long time.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

No hog boy no buy

:hmmyes:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Last mail I got from another player was a Yoshinori player asking me if I knew the matchup after I lost to him with Darli.

Kinda wish it had been hate mail, tbh.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
G is fantastic and Capcom should bring him back for future SF's.

Better yet, they should commit and officially turn him into Q.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

This is very likely a Cygames thing, not an ArcSys thing.

Nah, Arc did it with FighterZ as well. I was going to pre-order the premium edition that came with a statue, found out that it didn't come with the DLC, and stuck with the deluxe edition.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I hate to say it, but Gill looks interesting for once.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

Biggest thing for me on the SFV front is it means X-Kira was actually right for a change.

So I guess that means the next SFV char after Gill is gonna be Seth.

Lot of people seem to be upset with the idea of Seth returning, but I'd be totally okay with him coming back. I couldn't see him being as strong as he was in IV in V's system, but even if he was, you'd at least would have to work for it.

As an aside to SF/GG talk, I had a really satisfying moment in SamSho where I ended an Ukyo's 45-game winstreak with Darli, and I had to upload it. Feel free to critique my Darli play; I'd love to keep improving with her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03986AKoGUA

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

teagone posted:

I'm glad I never spent any money on DLC costumes/stages.

I think the only costume I spent money on was the Undercover Cop Chun outfit, that was way too good to pass up.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Ventana posted:

Sonic played Carmine a bunch in Uniel and got into american Top 8's when they were keeping up with the game.

Sonic's generally played most any of the FGs out there and could focus on them to get good. Sonic just doesn't cause it's a cross section of enjoying a game/how much money can you get in things you'd already do well in. Sonic's not joking when they say that the competition in DBFZ with GO1 is great, or geniunely loving NRS games and thinking SG is one of the best FGs.

GO1 is honestly the best thing that ever happened to Sonic. Sonic really needed to play more people on their level, and GO1 is one of the few players that's as good as they are.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Big Band is still the best character in any team fighter

I re-downloaded SG the other day, and I'm annoyed I didn't try him sooner. So much fun.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

So after watching some videos I take back what I said about Samsho, it has a pirate with a razor-axe thing and a confused-looking Taoist priest who can apparently accidentally summon a dragon to murder her opponent.

11/10

Darli is the closest we'll get to a Bloodborne Hunter in a traditional-style fighting game.

She's the best.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

No Saw Cleaver, 0/10 :colbert:

Also, Harada showed off trailers for the rest of the T7 S3 DLC today during Tekken World Finals. Leroy looks amazing.

https://twitter.com/TEKKEN/status/1203664870337433600

https://twitter.com/TEKKEN/status/1203662487322648576

https://twitter.com/TEKKEN/status/1203662520491204610

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Everybody thinks the game looks ugly

I honestly think SFV still looks good, even if some of the character designs are bad (looking at you, Ken's face). I do think SFV highlights that maybe Capcom should maybe move beyond characters' hands being as large as their heads, because I'm tired of being creeped out by Dictator's win animation.

Brought To You By posted:

The last of the Granblue fantasy Character trailers came out today.
https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1204823488881725447
All that armor :allears: And the entire roster really does look fun to play as. It will be a good year for fighting games next year.
The rest of the trailers are also on youtube.

I really liked Charlotta in the beta, but all of the character trailers we've gotten recently makes me think that we got shafted in what we can expect in the full game. Every new character looks like a ton of fun.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think SFV is a testament to the problems that come with outsourcing. The quality of design and animation among the cast is wildly variant, even within the same release window.

Blanka looks like he got twice the budget they gave to Sakura.

Yeah, which I think helped to sell Menat and G (although I do agree that the moving gold tats is a bit much, which is why I stick to the Q alt).

And I gotta say, SFV Blanka is the first time I put any time into Blanka since the original SF2.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

vin diesel seems like the kind of guy who'd care too much about how his character is depicted to let them animate all kinds of fatalities being done on him

He has a clause in his F&F contract (along with the rest of the cast tbf) that he can't lose a fight. I'd be shocked if he'd greenlit that happening in MK.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Endorph posted:

counterpoint: 'seth was never male, they were just inhabiting a male body' is a great explanation

not changing the va is an interesting choice too

Seeing all the confused reactions to the trailer is pretty funny, too, like this is some new concept for SF. Hell, wasn't part of the reason Dictator kept Cammy around was to use her as a backup body in case something happened to him?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
So with Seth and Gill back, SFV is the first SF game with every boss character from previous games since Alpha 3, right?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
https://twitter.com/TheKeits/status/1207380216789848065

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

That whole 2day SFV netcode fix thing is hilarious. Especially considering how people were accurately pointing out the issue since the beta.
Although at this point its too little too late.

The one good thing SFV did though is make me play Tekken 7. Lei Wulong is my husbando.

The sad thing is that chances are with the "emergency" server shutdown Capcom's doing this week (I think it's scheduled for the 14th), they're going to disable the fix, instead of fixing the problem.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Xad posted:

UI Goku would have to be like how Saitama works in the OPM fighting game: immensely powerful but with a huge drawback. For Saitama you just have a blank spot on your team and if you survive long enough he FINALLY shows up and can't take damage and one shots everyone.

UI Goku should have like constantly draining health but he can't get hit and is way stronger than normal or something.

Rooflemonger/Evil Canadian suggested in his video on the leak that UI Goku might be a solo character only, which honestly would be kind of interesting if done right.

And the bright side of UI Goku being the first character of Season 3 is that the most obvious, least interesting character choice is done, and the rest of the season should have some more fun choices.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Sfv is one of the more infuriating games to lose at imo

SFIV and V both somehow induce a lot of sodium in me, which only guarantees that instead of getting up and walking away for a bit, I keep playing until I can't take it anymore and stop playing for a week.

3rd Strike doesn't do that to me, even though I'm a lot worse at 3rd Strike than I am IV/V.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Critical posted:

Speaking of SamSho, would it be a good pickup for a beginner? It seems slower and footsie based and knowing what button to punish with instead of longer combos.

I'm going to get my rear end whipped regardless but it might make learning the fundamentals easier.

I would say so, but really, all you should be concerned about right now as a beginner is playing what you like. It doesn't matter if a game is better or worse than another as long as you're enjoying yourself, and don't mind losing if you're trying to get better. If you're enjoying SFV, then stick with SFV. If you want to try another game, then by all means pick up SamSho (it's a great game) or another fighter.

Having said that, there's a lot more people playing SFV than SamSho. If playing online is a factor for you, then I would stick with SFV; you're not going to have any trouble finding someone to play.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

MechaX posted:

While SFV has more people, I feel like the netcode for the average match has been super lovely for the past few months in particular (PS4 player). And given what we know about the netcode now, even when the match feels fine on my end, I always have that sense of doubt where I'm thinking "I have no idea if it was lovely on their end because they just randomly got opened up by really dumb stuff sometimes" in the back of my mind, and that even takes away the impact from victories.

But between SamSho and SFV, yeah, that's rough because SamSho's netcode still sucks and you probably won't be getting any matches in a timely manner without discord.

I absolutely agree about SFV, but in my experience, I've had worse online on SamSho. I think it's the better game, I think it's better for beginners, but I can't recommend it over SFV if online play matters to you.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Jesus gently caress Shizumaru

I hate playing against Shizumaru more than any other character in the game, and I say that as a Darli player who is bad at the Ukyo matchup.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/1221875558339891200

Evo lineup announcement next week.

My guess is they keep everything from last year (swapping UNIST for UNCLR) and add Granblue. I don't think they'll drop DBFZ or SC6, seeing as they have DLC coming, and BBTAG seems more popular than ever.

If anything gets dropped this year, it'll be either SamSho or SC6. I think DBFZ is fine for this year, although if there's not any major balance changes or a DBFZ2 on the way, this might be the last time it's in the lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

chumbler posted:

As it turns out, the community largely is chill with that, because he can press buttons good.

If you're good at doing a thing, people will excuse you for doing bad things.