Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How does the Tekken balance process works? I've read they run through arcade revisions before releasing a console version to keep their games tight, but is there a pattern or method to it? do they focus on just a handful of characters at a time? Or does a Tekken arcade patch bring sweeping changes for everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I've read about double tapping but outside of the how I don't understand the why, what is the benefit of pressing a button twice instead of just once? Does it have something to do with manipulating the input buffer? Hello thanks for reading my post.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

you have to hit a button in a particular window to get what you want. do you hope you nail the correct timing on one press or would you like to be getting that input in over 2 frames?

Oooh that explains it completely, thanks I understand now.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Some modern TVs have Game Modes in their settings that reduce display latency, check to make sure yours are enabled.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

may contain peanuts posted:

I feel like watching Smash would be more interesting if I had any idea what was going on? Like I'm sure there's some strategy in the game, and the players are making reads and reacting to things, and I've heard it even sort of has setplay in a way, but any time I watch Smash it looks like the characters are just doing things.

I try not to post about it in this thread but this seems like an earnest attempt to understand a game that's quickly becoming A Thing at major tournaments so forgive me for the smash post in the FG thread, but it's with the best intentions.

The most recent one plays competitively with a 2-stock meta, which plays out similar to a best 2/3 set in a traditional FG except like KI health doesn't reset between rounds. The objective is to damage the other player until they're in a vulnerable state and then kill them- health is replaced with a damage percent, and the higher your percent the farther damage done to you will send you. The controls play like an inversion of a traditional fightstick, where the action buttons are relatively simple but the movement stick is very complex, registering different results at 16 points around the gate with analog movement scaling between neutral and the gate, which is really where the heart of everything in the game's meta stems from. There's also low and high jump inputs and everyone has at least one airjump.

Stage ledges work like an inversion of the corner in a traditional FG, where invisible walls are replaced with empty space and if you're pushed into one you're in a very dangerous position the opponent can exploit to rack up a lot of damage or pressure you to death. Different characters have different ways to close "sets" and secure kills, which most often involves a read or a setup or a hit confirm into a kill move or an Instant Kill-style play offstage. I don't know too much about melee but Smash 4 has a big emphasis on stage control, footsies, spacing and confirming into combos and kills, and it's probably the most traditional FG variation of the Smash formula to date.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Lynx Winters posted:

Why are you using "meta" in what seems to be two different contexts? What does "meta" even mean? Could you use words that actually mean something?

The game can and often enough is played with three stocks as well, and the other popular Smash game plays with four stocks, which changes the flow of the game a little bit since closing one stock doesn't reset both players to neutral with full health to start again, everything done to you carries over after you land a kill, like if SF played best of 5 matches would that change when and how a player uses meter?

In the second case, the analog movement plays a big role in the options you choose to match different situations, since the same one aerial attack can have a half-dozen different uses depending on what angle and how much momentum you apply to it, and a lot of the tech you learn above and outside of the game is based around the way the stick works The whole game is built around complex movement, I tried to make a cutesy comparison to the game's three action buttons and 16-point analog stick to a traditional FG's six action buttons and eight-point digital stick, to help convey what is happening on the screen and what the players are trying to do.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Learning a fighting game is like playing the swordfighting part of Monkey Island. You start out with a sword and no answers, and everyone else seems to already have the answers to your questions, and the only way to win is to lose enough times that you've seen all the questions people will likely ask you and you have all the answers for them under your belt.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair when I played your game I certainly felt it was about finding answers to questions. Questions such as: Where is my character? Why do I keep getting lost? What is the point of this game?

Unfortunately I never received any answers. :(

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I got CvS2 on Dolphin to work with my fightstick and its great. I haven't played since I was younger and one of my command inputs for Hibiki is 21416+P. I'm not sure how to visualize doing this motion, is it a QCB and then down to the corner and then forward and P? Is there a shortcut or something else to getting this motion consistently?

vvv Oh that makes a lot of sense, thank you.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 23, 2016

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I like that baseball girl, she's very Rival Schools.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ultramega posted:

Totally forgot Rival Schools existed until now. Didn't that come in a double CD package back in the day?

I don't remember too clearly. A friend got me Project Justice on Dreamcast as a birthday gift once, those were the halcyon days...

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I've never heard of a Jim but a John is when you have an excuse for why you lost that doesn't involve the other player being better.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My local scene is also extremely friendly and clean, despite what half a dozen dudes post on Twitter. We have a few players who place well in nationals and the community shares knowledge. It's worth the hour drive to improve at a hobby.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

gamecube version on dolphin is apparently pretty good now

I set this up the other day, it works well with joy2key and a fightstick if you pick AC-ism instead of GC-ism. The only issue I had running it was some sound tearing in the New York and London stage songs, but otherwise it runs nice.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Zand posted:

aren't there bizarre changes even if you pick ACism?

It was the only way I could get my fightstick to work with joy2key assigned to the correct keyboard keys, GC-ism seemed like it was trying to read a gamecube controller specifically but AC-ism made the stick work perfectly. I don't know much more of a difference between the two beyond that.

vvv That would explain why certain stick buttons just weren't registering or showing up in control settings.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 29, 2016

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is Squigly a viable solo character? I don't have the brains for team management but I really like Squigs and her stance mechanic.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My favorite thing about Vampire Savior is how with the increasing damage bars, stock loss system and absence of delay or health recovery between rounds its the grandfather of modern Smash.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is this girl swimming in a mobile blob of water?????

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

yes

she's a grappler and the slime blob gets big buff arms to throw people around

That rules

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Has there ever been a legitimately good DBZ fighting game?

Xenoverse is good and they're making a new one.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

When I was little we had a Time Killers cabinet in a little arcade in the mall and in an alternate reality that became the title to headline EVO.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I thought Galford was cool but there's a girl with a big wolf who doesn't even look directly at you??? So long Galford.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"i want a game that's super neutral-focused but you can and should still jump around like an idiot"

:mario::megaman::yoshi:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In Training posted:

Every single person on the Internet says the netcode of every game dogshit.

It is bad code when I lose, but when I win it's verry good

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is fightcade only for 1v1 matches or can you play training mode in it as well? Alternately, do you do single-player or training stuff in a MAME emulator instead of fightcade? The tournament was cool and it's got me curious again how to actually set a game up to practice learning from scratch.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fereydun posted:

you can training mode with savestates by just running the emulator by itself in the fightcade folder. you can also access it by challenging yourself on fightcade but that's a hassle

you can also just download another, more updated version of FBA and run it off that with cheats like infinite life/meter/timer to simulate training mode to some degree.
practicing setups and stuff is livefire only pretty much but at the very least you can practice the most basic stuff like kd timings for offense and poo poo which go a long way to get you started

Thanks for this, it's a big help and makes the whole process a lot more clear.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

inthesto posted:

Does anyone know if Game Underground does weekly meetups or anything like that?

It rules that they have an ST cab, but I'd be annoyed if I drove out 45 minutes only to find nobody on it.

Game Underground hosts weekly tournaments, Tuesday is Smash 4 night, Friday is Street Fighter V weeklies according to the website. It's a really nice clean venue, it's worth the trip to enter a tournament.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There's an interesting FGC/Smash community discussion right now with James Chen and Ultradavid hosting D1 and GimR https://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv since that's the hot topic lately.

e: Here's the VOD https://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv/v/86705826

Reiley fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 31, 2016

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In Training posted:

Yeah but Wii U has HDMI, which can play Sm4sh and Brawl

Brawl actually still has a tournament scene. It's like fightcade-sized and you only ever really see it played in any major spotlight at the biggest Smash-only tournaments. Smash 64 gets more regular spotlight play than Brawl.

One of the thoughts they touched on in the show last night was hosting more non-Smash games at Smash tournaments in the same way we're hosted at EVO and CEO, like running Smash 4, Melee, 64 and SFV or KOFXIV or similar. I think that would be cool to get people to see other games played at a high level that they're maybe not used to.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smash is a fighting game where instead of corners you have pits and instead of light/medium/heavy buttons you have up/down/forward buttons, and instead of chip death you have not being able to land a killing blow until their damage is so high a light normal or a throw kills them. You can also instant-kill your opponent at any point in a match and feel incredibly powerful.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

One of the points from that Ultrachen episode I can agree with is Smash is not a part of the FGC, it has different community leaders and different traditions and it comes from a different place than the arcade scene, but in the bigger picture of competitive games the two are more similar than any other two scenes and that common ground can be beneficial to both sides. Smash is a fighting game, but it's not a part of the FGC, I think is how it was suggested.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do wrestling games count as fighting games? Does Fight For New York count as a wrestling game? That was a good drat game.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smash's movement has a few things in common with King of Fighters' movement, namely the short/full jumps and hyperhop/fastfall mechanics, as well as dashes and rolls. I remember reading somewhere about Sakurai being an arcade fighter player and he recalled in his way how he felt when he beat a new player so badly at a game that he was afraid he'd scared them off the genre forever, I wonder if it was KOF he played.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

power stone

Power Stone shares its lineage with Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. and that one four-player Wu-Tang game for the Playstation.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tekken came out after Ballz so technically the 3D fighter crown belongs to its true king.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bushido Blade was very satisfying to play as a kid, you just had to land that one hit and that was it. The best stage was the bamboo forest.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The gun couldn't hit you if you ran perpendicular to it I think.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Virtual On: pick a character from a varied cast, attempt to deplete your opponent's hp to 0 using normal/special/super attacks unique to your character, matches are divided into individually timed rounds, 1v1, features meter management, has the same gamestate progression as street fighter
Smsah: pick a character from a half-varied and half-cloned cast, attempt to shove your opponent offscreen multiple times over 8 minutes of ill-defined round, timer only leads to sudden death mechanic that plays completely different from a normal round and then has random bombs rain to the field, features heavy rng elements that must be disabled to play competitively, isn't even intended to be played 1v1

The tournament standard is 2 stock 6 minutes for a match where each stock constitutes a round in the same way as Vampire Savior, a set is best 2 of 3. Every character is different and caters to a unique playstyle and after a year and a half of balance patching almost all 60 of them are viable. If the match goes to time the player with the lower percent and the same number of stocks wins, if it's a tie then the same stage is played and a one-stock one-minute round to determine the winner but this is extremely rare to actually happen. One of the major differences is rather than landing any blow to take the last pixel of health you need to find a way to land a specific finishing blow to close out a stock.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

Most of the Smash clones are pretty different though? At least on the same level of Ken and Ryu in most games. Like it's really disingenuous to claim Ken and Ryu are totally different characters but Mario/Luigi, Marth/Roy, Link/Toon Link, and Captain Falcon/Ganondorf are too similar.

The characters you listed all have different moves and different properties in the latest version of the game. Pit and Dark Pit are arguably closest to being actual clones, their only difference is one special move launches opponents at different angles (diagonally vs. vertically) and one has a stronger projectile at the cost of being harder to steer through the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

A parallel to meter management in Smash I think would be stale move negation. In Brawl and WiiU there's a system where the past ten moves you use enter a queue and their frequency and proximity to the front of the queue affect their damage and knockback values, where if you use a move too frequently and too soon after using it another time it loses power. This reflects the idea of meter as a manageable resource in that if you throw out your powerful kill moves carelessly they will not be fresh and when you do finally have an opportunity to close a stock you will not have the potency to do it. You can flush out the queue by landing a string of weak jabs or grab pummels to push your kill moves back into their fresh state, however. Conversely, a move losing damage and knockback through staling means you can use it to combo into other stronger moves at higher percents, so managing your stale move queue becomes a long-term consideration within a match.