Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Although I guess nothing will be as bad as that Chinese phone MOBA character SamSho just got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Sirlin probably lol

Oh my god I would love this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AFashionableHat posted:

Not even Namco is stupid enough to think that, after the absolute dumbass shitshow that has been Akuma/Eliza/Geese in Tekken 7, that their playerbase wants TxSF.

I hope.

What? Akuma and Geese in Tekken are awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'd be shocked if it were worse than SFV.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

we live in the hell dimension where stream monsters dictate gameplay balance, not to mention the season pass churn

Yeah I bet a lot of decision making in contemporary competitive balance can absolutely be traced by asking the Community Manager about the top comments on their subreddit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

if anything the incremental "seasonal" changes means a dev will never fundamentally address core issues if they exist since it would require more work than could be justified as ongoing support. so games never actually change but suddenyl 4 years later SFV is fixed somehow. even though all the problems people noticed in the Wave 2 Beta still persist.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chev posted:

The only real accessible side of SF4 is it was SF2 with them big muscly polygons,

no it wasnt

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

What the gently caress... That's not even a Goku... Who would pay for this poo poo......

This

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MechaX posted:

I’m researching Melty Blood and what in the gently caress are some of these character names. And why are there like 5 maids. Yeah, this game is totally some early 2000s poo poo I’m surprised I wasn’t pirating on my PC after grade/high school.

Ciel initially caught my eye but this Riesbyfe person with the pile bunker cello is really vibing with me. But with my luck of playing characters that appeal to me first over how they actually play, watch her be a grappler or some poo poo

The nice thing about melty is there's like 70 characters so if somebody doesn't mesh at first you can just throw darts at the board and wind up on somebody cooler pretty quickly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ryoga posted:

Play more cross tag you god damned cowards.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with it's netcode though.

Also the lobbies suck.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Congrats on winning an online sfv tourney lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would guess 800,000 of those are when the game is on sale for 50 cents and the person you know who really loves Skullgirls buys you a gift copy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

remember when harada entered evo and rip was laughing about how his feng tech was straight out of tekken 5

He did better than I thought he would tbh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

pretty wild that admitting to a criminal act of pedophilia only gets you a 2 month twitch ban.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I think hes banned forever 2 months after admitting

That makes a lot more sense, oops.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I kind of want this to be real now just for all the awesome backgrounds that could come out of it.

download MUGEN and embark on a fun project

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love Raphael and wish I liked sc6 more.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FGC should just make the leap to pc, if the consoles are going to have all the problems of a pc with none of the benefits. Plenty of tourneys get run on laptops and computers already, why not embrace it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

absolutely no way until we figure out controller compatibility. and remember, pc has its own share of idiocy like last year's melty blood evo top 8 had to be delayed because the TO forgot to plug in his laptop and it died

yeah there's a lot of issues now, but im envisioning a near future of squabbling over acceptable USB hubs...or maybe they just switch back to Xbox, does xbox have more ports.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

here's a story about vf

so yu suzuki is a crazy person. we all know this. when vf1 (i think) was being mocap'd, he came in to observe and micromanage because that's what he does. he saw the bajiquan expert doing akira shoulder and wanted to know how powerful it was. so he lined up with him and told him to hit him with it as hard as he could. the bajiquan guy did not want to do it because he'd risk breaking this skinny nerd's sternum and ribs, but suzuki made him do it. the guy does the shoulder and yu flies back 10 feet into the wall and everyone thought he was dead. he was ok and i'm pretty sure this is why akira shoulder does so much damage even to this day

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

why can't they just call it the cloud instead of the fog

You can't trademark it w/o a brand name

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i bought the humble bundle version so sign me up for the kof2k2 revival as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 2002UM rollback feels pretty nice but it has all the same problems the other code mystic ports have with a barely existent lobby system and no rematch. I wish somebody would just holistically make a FG that solves all the known problems instead of one at a time, forever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

The 2002UM rollback feels pretty nice but it has all the same problems the other code mystic ports have with a barely existent lobby system and no rematch. I wish somebody would just holistically make a FG that solves all the known problems instead of one at a time, forever.

as an addendum to this, there's a handful of specials and supers in the game that seem to just instantly force a desync, so until there's a general patch (maybe not coming until after the beta?) be wary of malicious trolls who will use Kim's divekick to gently caress up the match.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

did they fire all their non-character artists or what.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

Isn't he tapped into the supernatural still? I never touched Xrd but I'm vaguely aware he still has some stuff going on with him. Also, I would glady wish for Zappa's life to be ruined by possession again if it would make him playable.

How would they even make her tower defense gameplay work in Strive?

Based on other chars they could ditch it and she'd be fine, she has lots of big buttons already and could still have the meter burning dust attacks as a unique gimmick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drjuggalo posted:

Leroy and fauk both dropped broken, other than like Claudio most of the new additions/dlc have either been half baked (gigas, lucky chloe, noctis) or broken (akuma, leroy, fauk, release kazumi)

All of leroys hype melted away when evo japan hit and everyone realized just how bad it really was

The only thing that really lived up to its hype is the legacy characters

by this measure is KOF any better? najd was hosed up and they didn't patch the game for ages iirc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

all the messaging since the beta has shown that they don't actually care about any feedback and have never changed anything about the project since the moment they unveiled it, assuming anything better in terms of presentation/structure is just false hope at this point. we just have to pray it's actually fun despite looking like poo poo and being unplayable online.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

well hopefully it just has private lobbies with 0 load time infinite rematch, since I don't really care about ranked/random public play anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

its prolly bc if you just used the xrd system for everything the Lobby coders would be out of a job.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Momomo posted:

I've been trying to get into fighting games and I still lose basically every match I go into in games that aren't Fantasy Strike. When it comes to these sorts of games, I think one of the most important things holding me back is the usefulness of each move, and the fact that Special moves are not meant to be the Only Moves That Matter. In any other genre a character's special moves are meant to be the big payoff for the player, but in a fighting game it seems like they're basically the same as any other kind of attack. I still can't help but feel like I've gotta be pulling out special moves all the time, and that my guy's normals are just filler.

Also as far as tutorials go, I find most of the information they give is basically useless. Yeah, you can tell me what Laura's combos are (which I can't even pull off), but they're just against an unmoving dummy. They don't go into why you want to do any of this stuff, and the scenarios they put you in do not reflect an actual fight at all. Even if they try and gameify certain aspects, I still feel like I'd only learn the lesson for dealing with that specific case, rather than being able to apply it to an actual match against a person.

something that might be helpful would be to pick a char with huge normals to help you understand the importance of regular buttons. Or play different games that have different emphases, download the melty caster and mash crouching punch or play some KOF games on figtcade and use j.C a bunch or stand perfectly still and throw out heavy slashes in Sam sho II etc.

trying out lots of different games can help contextualize why FGs are designed and played the way they are, another lesson that you won't be able to necessarily learn in any single game's tutorials

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Use Gordo's 5c then understand the true power of normals.

that's a good rear end button...one of my faves. not as obviously powerful but another favorite button of mine is millia c.S, elegant, hits multiple times, looks cool when you continue the combo into the air. Bellissimo. I miss proximity normals.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super stoked for rollback +R. I'm going to wind up playing nothing but 2k2 and AC in 2021 lol, thanks FG devs for finally paying attention to netcode

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's slowed down due to the awful netcode LOL

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ive definitely reverted to a pure diet of Fightcade and melty blood since the online times began. F.PCiel is a really cool character

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

somebody at ArcSys probably got pissed at him, but gently caress em keep sending your congressional leaders letters until we get rollback in UNI

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it was in a fanatical bundle recently but i believe its expired. theyll probably put it on sale when the rollback comes out for real, but until then im sure somebody will post about deals here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wow +R kicks rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also the design is terrible and the game is extremely boring, could of at least had the decency of making a fun pile of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dangerous precedent being set, that content requires context!! you can never come back from this!!!