Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Corbeau posted:

The KOF14 character artists don't even seem to bumpmap these models. Or if they are, then it's not noticeable. It's so absurdly far behind in basic technical competence that I'm mystified. There's no defense for skipping something that basic in this day and age.

The animators are doing fine, mind, but the texture work is just silly bad.

Honestly, the animation is pretty bad as well. That's one thing SFV really nailed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Everyone talking about visuals in modern fighting games, and nobody mentions how absurdly pretty Tekken7:FR is looking?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pomp posted:

has there ever been a good 2d fg with bad throws

Guilty gear has absolutely tiny throw range*

*throws are like 0 frames though and untechable in vanilla Xrd

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

anothergod posted:

Any tips/tricks/etc to have fun and/or just be **cool** would be appreciated.

Shower, and brush your teeth.

Seriously, there's always a bunch of smelly fuckers at these things, don't be that guy.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I actually fancy Gigamaidens chances over this.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Gammatron 64 posted:

I should really just sit down and work on learning GG. Maybe Slayer, Jam or the girl in the kung fu robot man might be more up my alley as I guess they're a little more street fightery and less gimmicky. I think I kind of gravitate towards straightforward (i.e. boring) characters like Balrog for whatever reason. I've never been very big on style, I just like to smash things with a big blunt instrument. I like playing footsies or rushdown and filling the screen with projectiles and weirdo things like controlling a puppet or whatever just aren't my jam.

I've been told that because I kinda gravitate towards the basics, I should probably play Ky Kiske. And when I played it non-competitively, I generally played him. And I think he'd fit. But he's also Ryu and everyone plays Ky Kiske and he's about as whitebread as you get.

Is Slayer better in Revelator? Because I feel like Slayer has a playstyle that fits me better than most, AND he has a cool character design to boot, unlike Ky. I'm fine with doing links in combos (I play SF mainly after all), it's just stuff like Zato-1 & Eddie and Jack-O's tower defense poo poo that makes me go "whaaat?"

What also sucks is last time there was a local GG tourney... literally 3 people showed up to it. Not counting me and another friend who were there to play Alpha 2. :negative: So I guess I haven't really been given much incentive to learn it.

I'll give you the advice that was given to me. Nobody in the west is good enough that tier lists factor much into it, some characters are just easier to win with starting out.

Like that time FAB came to Europe and absolutely clowned on everyone with the worst character in the game.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Saoshyant posted:

Who was the worst character?

Potemkin. The last time they made the mistake of giving him buffs he immediately became top tier.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

In Training posted:

Who is everyone liking in Revelator? It feels like everybody I've seen is all about Raven

All the new characters are dope and I'm having character paralysis.

Johnny is flash as hell and hits like a truck

JackO is one of the most unique characters in any fighting game, and for once relatively low execution

Kum is what happens when you give slayer a fireball

Raven is weird and awesome and has fantastic animations

Jam is...a bit poo poo

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

i liked skullgirls because I could play as the zoner and not have to learn all the combos and resets.

I know at least three people who stopped playing Skullgirls because of your Peacock :argh:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

are there any games with anime movement but SF combos

i mean besides "vsav and don't play bb hood"

Play Haehyun in Revelator

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kikkoman posted:

That fake evo Japan lineup has me wondering: Did vf4 do anything better than vf5?

VF4 is considerably harder to play, but the arcade mode has much better AI, and a lot of the opponents you play against are based on real players, pretty sure Ryan Hart is in there.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Trykt posted:

Hey I haven't posted in a while. Just dropping by to list the good fighting games:

• Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
  • Killer Instinct (the new one)
  • Tekken (all of them)
  • Guilty Gear (also all of them)

Thanks for reading.

A cool and good post

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The Kins posted:

If you're going to try the free titty fighter, one of the DLC fighters is free until the 30th. I think it's like the Skullgirls stuff where if you get it while it's free you keep it?

Correction, the BEST fighter in the game*

*by virtue of not being as morbidly embarrassing to be caught using.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is Tekken 7 going to have all the characters actually voiced in their own language? That would be cool.

I believe so, yes.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

Not all of them, according to Wikipedia

For some reason Steve Fox has always sounded Australian.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

uncleKitchener posted:

Sidestepping and sidewalking are still viable in T7. If a few Koreans make complaints about commitments regarding movement, that shouldn't really affect your play because you're not Korean.

Stepping got buffed between T7 and FR, it's practically the same as TTT2 now

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

uncleKitchener posted:

Arcades are dead in UK (London) too. It's mostly gaming bars and venues with lot of cabs managed by enthusiasts. There's Vegas next to the old Troc Funland and there's Violent City close to Manor house station. There's a new Heart of Gaming opening in Shepherds Bush too.

I do question how Mark actually managed to even get a place like that after me, Simeon, Sendo and Joff left, but I do wish he does it right this time.

OTOH up in the northwest UK we have Arcade club, which is 150+ machines, all on freeplay, at £10 for a day pass.

It's the absolute nuts, though I'd love to take a trip down to Violent city sometime, looks fantastic from the pictures.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

jesus christ I just looked up where the Heart Of Gaming is going to be and lol how the hell did he get a place like that? That's pretty great. I'll probably stop by and say hi at some point, I went to the Heart Of Gaming in north acton often enough.

I went there once and it was ok. Lot of the machines were partially defective, and patrons did utterly retarded poo poo like pump infinite credits into games like Simpsons Arcade and then walk away from the machine leaving a game in progress with 80 something lives that would need to be exhausted to start again, but I still had fun for the day I went. I dunno if I'd go as a regular thing if I was local like I am with HoG though.

How long ago did you go? They got a bigger place this year (twice the size), and run FG specific events with Manchester Battle Arena on the regular now.

Surprised there were defective machines at all, they repair everything themselves and have something like 50 spare cabs for replacements. Will agree that there are some retarded people go there, but that's any arcade, the staff will happily reset machines for you.

There's basically zero chance of something like HoG up north, but I'm pretty happy with what we got.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Might've been late last year when I was living in Preston for university stuff. Was kind of a loving journey to get there.

and yeah there were a few broken machines, like the SoulCalibur cabinet (which is super awesome to have) had a completely dead button and that's depressing because I wanted to play fightmans with the group I went with, but they were pretty light on fighting games in general? They had SoulCalibur with the dead button, EX which is fun for a lark but not a great game and some Street Fighter 5 on the ps4s in the back but that was it, really.

i ended up playing point blank 1 and 2 for like three hours because point blank is loving rad but some of the other lightgun games I tried to play with friends, one of the guns was miscalibrated which made it hard to play together.

e; oh yeah they also had an Indy 500 machine I think that was TOTALLY hosed let me go find the picture I took of that because seriously what the gently caress

e2: Found it on my twitter, also gave me an exact date of when I went. May 15th this year.

they also had an OutRun special edition that just entirely didn't work at all

The only fighting game I actually played with friends at the place was loving Karate Champ which my friend amazingly actually had some sort of idea how to play and I didn't so I got loving rused hardcore and lost a lot and it's like seriously of all the games to have some idea how to play

Ah, last time I was there they had KoF 98, Alpha 2, EX3, Third strike, Tekken 3 and some other running, and Outrun was fixed :3

Still an absolute mission to get to, loving Bury.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

uncleKitchener posted:

Is that the one at Manchester? If he's one of the guys Sendo (James Holland) sold the few import Astro Cities to, then yeah, he's a cool guy. I forgot his name.

Yeah, mans name is Andy Palmer? lovely chap

dangerdoom volvo posted:

its cool that the british fgc is comprised entirely of people who hate each other

Nah, Northwest is all super chill* Hell I play with the Manchester lot all the time and barely get any scouser jokes.

Everything I've heard about HoG sounds like pure drama though.

*Actually, this is a lie, Gunslinga is still a blert.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 19, 2016

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

boxcarhobo posted:

wait

is peep show a documentary

Absolutely. It's horribly true to life on this awful island.

KI does some fantastic things right and the developers seem to do things really well, but it sears my eyes and ears to watch it, let alone play.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dhamster posted:

Hey earlier in this thread (or another FG thread) I remember people were talking about an older FG where staredowns were especially scary--someone could basically just stand there and scare the hell out of the opponent. Was that samsho?

Probably, since one hard attack could be 30% of your health

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I like Xrd because my favorite character, Slayer, is incredibly strong in it

When did they add Slayer to the game?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Chev posted:

2nd location test of Sign. Wait, was that a joke question?

The joke is that Slayer is bad in Xrd.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 28, 2016

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

mfny posted:

So spotted KOF XIV in the black friday PSN sale. I have not had a fighting game fix in a long time so decided to pick it up.. did I make a bad choice as id be looking for decant online play ?

PSN is "S1Nx81" if anyone is interested in playing with a newbie( I am in Europe/UK if that matters)

Seek out the UK king of fighters group on facebook for GGs. Alternatively, if you;re up north, pm me :>

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

If I was Disney I've be doing Marvel vs Marvel

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

General Morden posted:

https://twitter.com/CKT_Fergus/status/803273095880396800

hey Brosnan

is this a legitimate, accurate, and reliable source of tekken knowledge

thanks in advance

Fergus is a cool and very good player*. His document is cool and good also.

*best player in Ireland, and a total lab monster.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dangerdoom volvo posted:

best tekken player in ireland is like saying hes the best hair in the floor drain

Top 15 in Europe if that sounds better to you. Best Asuka player too.

Point being, he knows what he's talking about.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

In Training posted:

I CTRL-F Millia and then Guilty and got 0, so for people who can make that leap, what's the closest Tekken analogue to Millia?

There's nobody as degenerate as Millia in Tekken. The closest thing might be Josie, as she has really annoying mixups. Nobody is really an Oki monster on Millia level.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Countblanc posted:

I like to main whoever has the most damaging command throw and the shittiest mobility

Gigas then.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Babe Magnet posted:

I want to main dr b

at the end of the day it doesn't matter who I main thought because I'm loving garbage at tekken. gonna play it anyway though

Tekken is really pretty well balanced, so it doesn't matter that much, play who you like

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

NecroMonster posted:

the real question is. Does Combofiend think something like his she-hulk/taskmaster/spencer team is good for a game to have or bad?

it was good btw and capcom shouldn't have loving touched she-hulk in umvc3

God that team was so so hype and fun.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There is no doubt in my mind that it'll be better than SF5.

Such Great Heights

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Reiley posted:

Does anyone know any fighting game characters who have move like Talbain's Beast Cannon? I realize that I have the most fun with characters who have that move where they charge forward on one angle, and then move a second time on another angle. Since I thought about it Samsho's Rera works like Beast Cannon if you count the dismount angle as a second arc, and there's the famous Quick Attack in Smash. Are there other characters who do this? Because I will probably enjoy the games they're in a lot.

Valkenhayn from Blazblue has an identical beast cannon

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ROFL Octopus posted:

I bought Mai yesterday and she made the transition fantastically. She even has special cancels!

But yeah get doa5lr. It's a criminally underrated game that, while known for absurd amounts of dlc, has a ton of content in the base package alone. Plus it's just drat fun.

It's bad Virtua Fighter with titties.

Still better than SFV by a margin

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

In Training posted:

Really? It's got some pretty sick ring outs and reversals.

Almost everything feels super weightless and floaty, especially on block. Everyone has 9000000 strings that serve no purpose.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I use one. I was trying to learn to Tiger knee yesterday on it and then I realised I could just input jump -> qcf quickly enough that I didn't need an input trick.

Also holy poo poo Guilty Gear is difficult. Millia's BnB stuff is harder than my hardest Laura combos in SFV.

At least with Millia you're doing that one BNB 90% of the time. I-no is a horror show of character specific nonsense with more obnoxious IAD requirements.

Worth it because she's so SASSY though :nyd:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dangerdoom volvo posted:

but enough about every 3d game ever except vf

Soul Calibur

It's worth learning Millia in Xrd so you can laugh outrageously when someone tells you any character in SFV* has strong mixups.

*Or any game really.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was under the impression that Ram was good?

There's maybe two players in america good enough that tiers matter.

Consider that FAB uses Potemkin, the worst character in the game by a margin, and everyone not in Japan is free to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

e:f/b